100 Starting Strength gyms in 5 years

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Seafoam

Re: 100 Starting Strength gyms in 5 years

Post by Seafoam » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 am

I feel a little sorry for the hard folks who bought into the idea and are now facing reality. It looks to me from my armchair that these gyms are going to face hard times. I don’t feel like the market is this strong for such a high-cost niche. When one can buy the setup and it fits in a garage…why? In addition, I think barbell training will go back to being a small potion of gym goers who actually train it. As any American knows, we get hyped up about something because it’s new (to us) and we act as if it’s the greatest thing ever. Off-road vehicles, outdoor activities, exercise, tattoos, politics, and so on.I wouldn’t bet my livelihood on the whole nation having a lightbulb moment and start rushing to overpriced barbell training.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 pm

Seafoam wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 amI wouldn’t bet my livelihood on the whole nation having a lightbulb moment and start rushing to overpriced barbell training.
Have you heard of this thing called Crossfit?

Barbell training has a decent market if it's presented simply as strength training, and if you're flexible with your methods. It's already been noted that the SSFGs and SSAGs are using methods that were never seen at Rip's WFAC - and not coincidentally, they have a larger membership.

It's the same as any other good or service - if you go really broad then nobody knows what you stand for and they're not interested, if you go super-narrow then you're really limiting your clientele. There's a good money-making band in that broad range, finding it is the tricky part.

Seafoam

Post by Seafoam » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:14 am

CrossFit just proves my point, Americans got hyped, then stopped. I think barbells reached their pinnacle then. We will see a movement away from them (functional) or a complete demonization (white suprematist, too masculine, “meatheads.”) I think this is a good thing. Most who tried CrossFit will go back to calling it cross-training and the small percentage who were introduced to barbells through CF will continue and dump the negatives brought on by CF. I also think there is a market for a good barbell coach anywhere as long as they do it right.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:13 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 pm
Seafoam wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 amI wouldn’t bet my livelihood on the whole nation having a lightbulb moment and start rushing to overpriced barbell training.
yes, at one time ..... but correct me if I'm wrong, that whole scene has faded quite a bit.
So ok, maybe SSFG's will go thru a profitable growth period at first ... and there's some money to be made there.

Which brings me too:

I think the amount of cash, and hurdles to go thru, required to get into the Crossfit brand was pretty minimal.

Whereas an SSFG? Man he wants a lot to sign up, and profit%/year, etc. .... buy those ridiculous racks and what not.

Seems like its a whole lot easier and cheaper do an Xfit box for a while, and then easier just to transition into personal training/a regular ol' gym.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:23 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:08 am Original article published October 2018. We have two months to go!

According to their site - https://coaching.startingstrength.com/g ... ngth-gyms/ - there now exist 27 Starting Strength Franchise Gyms.

As well, there are 13 Affiliate Gyms worldwide, 11 in the US, 1 in Europe, and 1 in Singapore.

https://coaching.startingstrength.com/g ... iate-gyms/
he'll just blame the "libatards" for mishandling covid and shutting down the economy for two years or whatever.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:29 am

Seafoam wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:14 am CrossFit just proves my point, Americans got hyped, then stopped.
CrossFit experienced tremendous growth for nearly 20 years. Like nearly all gyms and many other businesses, they got crushed by the pandemic. Even now, they have around 5,000 gyms in the U.S. and over 14,000 worldwide. So there are still more CrossFit gyms than YMCAs or any other national fitness chain. And of course many former CrossFit gyms are still around, still charging their same prices, just rebranded without the CrossFit name. And counter to your main point, many of the CrossFit gyms that are thriving (at least in my area) are the larger, more expensive, high-end ones.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:31 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:13 am
KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 pm
yes, at one time ..... but correct me if I'm wrong, that whole scene has faded quite a bit.
So ok, maybe SSFG's will go thru a profitable growth period at first ... and there's some money to be made there.

Which brings me too:

I think the amount of cash, and hurdles to go thru, required to get into the Crossfit brand was pretty minimal.

Whereas an SSFG? Man he wants a lot to sign up, and profit%/year, etc. .... buy those ridiculous racks and what not.

Seems like its a whole lot easier and cheaper do an Xfit box for a while, and then easier just to transition into personal training/a regular ol' gym.
The crossfit level 1 certification can be done at home for $1000, even now.

Locally, I could rent a place for $1-2 per square foot per month (year lease). So, 2,000 sqft is $48,000 per year. Xfit equipment costs is gonna be $10,000 or so. Then utilities and whatnot… let’s assume year one is gonna cost me $6,000 per month without paying anyone. Means I’d have to get 40 peeps signed up (at $150 each per month) and do classes myself to make $0.

Sounds dire, but still a lower break even point than the SSFG.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:34 am

asdf wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:29 am
Seafoam wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:14 am CrossFit just proves my point, Americans got hyped, then stopped.
CrossFit experienced tremendous growth for nearly 20 years. Like nearly all gyms and many other businesses, they got crushed by the pandemic. Even now, they have around 5,000 gyms in the U.S. and over 14,000 worldwide. So there are still more CrossFit gyms than YMCAs or any other national fitness chain. And of course many former CrossFit gyms are still around, still charging their same prices, just rebranded without the CrossFit name. And counter to your main point, many of the CrossFit gyms that are thriving (at least in my area) are the larger, more expensive, high-end ones.
I have seen a lot of non-affiliated “cross training” gyms in the northeast over the past several years pop up.

Probably some combination of not wanting to pay for/be affiliated with the branding along with traditionally blue demographics along with replicating the actual formula isn’t all that hard has led to the growth in that space.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:55 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:34 am
asdf wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:29 am
I have seen a lot of non-affiliated “cross training” gyms in the northeast over the past several years pop up.

Probably some combination of not wanting to pay for/be affiliated with the branding along with traditionally blue demographics along with replicating the actual formula isn’t all that hard has led to the growth in that space.
3 to 4 years ago if I wanted to train on vacation im N. Mi it was a long drive, if at all. Now, there are unaffiliated barbell clubs all over the place (ok 3 that I've seen just driving around). Of course, now I have kids so I just take vacations and don't even try to train on them.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 am

I just tried to look up how many Crossfit gyms there are now. There used to be close on 10,000 worldwide. The map page won't resolve for me, though.

https://map.crossfit.com

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:41 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 am I just tried to look up how many Crossfit gyms there are now. There used to be close on 10,000 worldwide. The map page won't resolve for me, though.

I think ~10-12 years ago there was mostly Crossfit Boxes ....whereas now, you have a lot of gyms that aren't officially Crossfit boxes, but do crossfit-esque training without the Crossfit moniker. Or have just turned into "personal training centers".

1-Crossfit HQ ain't getting those fees anylonger.

2-I doubt the SS paradigm is going to get THAT kind of play (anything close) to what Crossfit did, ever. Its not "edgy" or hard-core enough. Doesn't produce visual results. Then again, it seems like the average american is getting real-ok with their obesity these days, and SS supports that. On the other hand, I don't think I need to pay +$350 a month to get fat ..... TP PAY to do 3x5 in a channel iron rack, with no hot women around (/s but not /s), and to be told its OK to over-eat for recovery.

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:58 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 am I just tried to look up how many Crossfit gyms there are now. There used to be close on 10,000 worldwide. The map page won't resolve for me, though.

On their homepage, they state: "CrossFit is a movement with over 5 million athletes and over 14,000 locations across the planet."

They have a list of affiliates, which I just copied and pasted into Excel... and only came up with 7,592. Maybe I failed in my scraping?

The new URL for their map: https://www.crossfit.com/map

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:58 am

Interesting, their world map shows 11,344, as I count it.

I like that there's still one in Greenland. Also interesting that you get a few in places like Kyrgyzstan and Angola and places like that - I presume that's mostly European expats living in gated communities stealing and bribing - er, assisting in extracting oil and governance.

Overall, Crossfit still going well. And so yes, there is a market for "overpriced barbell training" - if it's marketed right. SS's front page today has got an interview with a 57yo guy who squatted 405lb thanks to SS training - gaining 50lb on his bodyweight in the process.

Crossfit's got a rather different image. But - "narrowcasting."

Rip himself once said of Crossfit, "our argument with Crossfit is a family argument." Those are the bitterest, but let's face it - we all want the same thing. We all know that the Western world is a very unhealthy place, and physical training can change that.

Seafoam

Post by Seafoam » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:06 pm

Yes, and just about every gym has a barbell in it. Would we consider these gyms to be barbell gyms? Some facilities will continue to market CrossFit and others will drop the name when it’s convenient. Thousands of these places popped up overnight and to think they will stay traditional CrossFit gyms is something I would not bet on…easy come, easy go.

I’m sure Rip would keep this All InThe Family

https://www.health.com/fitness/what-is-crossfit

Researchers defined the high-intensity training program as strength-building conditioning. It incorporates functional movements that build stamina, strength, and speed, among several other areas.

KevinMcGrath

Post by KevinMcGrath » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:40 pm

https://www.strengthrevolution.org/even ... eland-2023

This dude is in my neck of the woods this weekend and looking for the equivalent of 370 euro for a coaching session with him. Thats 7 months gym membership for me and I get to train with powerlifters that have years and years of experience behind them 🤣

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:15 pm

KevinMcGrath wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:40 pm https://www.strengthrevolution.org/even ... eland-2023

This dude is in my neck of the woods this weekend and looking for the equivalent of 370 euro for a coaching session with him. Thats 7 months gym membership for me and I get to train with powerlifters that have years and years of experience behind them 🤣
That’s ludicrous. 315£ for a moron to recite book cues.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:25 am

Wait almost 400 euros for a coaching session ? I mean for this price you could probably (actually I don't know I've never hired a coach) hire an IPF champion to teach you the lifts.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:22 am

KevinMcGrath wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:40 pm https://www.strengthrevolution.org/even ... eland-2023

That is an extraordinarily large sum of money for what is on offer. Of course, we know what is on offer, but new applicants might still believe that there is something in "The Method" that they haven't quite understood yet. If they can just get $t$t coach to explain it to them, then they will be able to power their way up to a three plate squat and not stall out at 120 kilo, like everyone else does.

It might be worth it for

A) getting a lot of positive talk about how the coach has spotted all your flaws and has now corrected them, so that you can go ahead and redo the novice linear progression. You will now feel much better about grinding away (until you stall out again at the same weight)

or

B) Realise that the "coach" is an idiot who is just reciting from a list of stupid cues that don't apply to you. This effect will be doubled if the coach then demonstrates the bendy press and tries to teach you the power clean the $t$t way, which works worse than the way you leaned from the bloke in a gym in Barrow who only charges thirty quid for four sessions.

For comparison, a two day Klokov seminar is 199 Euro. Of course he doesn't know "The Method" and he isn't giving 1:1 coaching, but there you go.

I chuckled at the bit where you need to have been taught "The method" by a $t$t coach and done an LP already.

KevinMcGrath

Post by KevinMcGrath » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:21 pm

It's madness and Ireland has a very good powerlifting scene. Loads of people that can coach you on how to get stronger at a fraction of that cost.

And they're all a lot stronger than that guy too 🤷

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 pm

Apparently, a video needed to be done on... putting the bar back in the rack after the press.