First ever form check

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Ragholmes

First ever form check

Post by Ragholmes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:29 pm

This is my first time ever posting a request for a form check.
I'm assuming there's quite a few things wrong. By all means please tell me all that is wrong, but if it is a real long list could you also prioritize what I should work on first.
Thank you in advance.

BenM

Re: First ever form check

Post by BenM » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm nowhere near as experienced as some of the guys here, and the camera angle probably isn't the best, but these don't look half bad to me. And the weight looks kinda light for you.

If I had to nitpick a bit, your stance might be a little wide (but it's hard to tell due to the angle) and on one or two reps you may have let the bar drift a little forward and got on your toes a bit - not bad at all though.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 am

Reps 1,3,4 looked high with the others borderline, albeit it’s notoriously hard to gauge depth from a high angle. I would suggest shooting from hip height and the rear 3/4 angle next time if you can.

It looks like you are not letting your rear end drop into “the hole” which is quite common. I can’t see stance width, but at a guess make it 2-3” narrower and turn your toes out more. Push knees over the toes on the descent (ie don’t let them collapse inwards) and drop into the space created by that wider hip angle.

If you don’t open the hip up you won’t be able to lower yourself into that space so you may feel you can’t go lower, but it’s likely hip related.

As above you look like you’re leaning forward as well but hopefully the above sorts that out. “Sitting back” is a good cue.

Good job with the workout, everyone has room to improve so keep at it. Filming yourself is super helpful, something I don’t do enough to be honest.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 am

Yeah, Wayne hit all that can be improved in your squat, but what BenM said is also true - your squat is already plenty decent. I say this as warning because overcorrecting and obsessing over form can in fact worsen the squat (IMO the easiest lift to screw up).

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 am

BenM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm And the weight looks kinda light for you..... and on one or two reps you may have let the bar drift a little forward and got on your toes a bit.
I've changed my programming and increased volume, so I dropped the weight a bit till I get used to the changes. And yes I definitely get a little forward as I get fatigued.

BenM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm ...and the camera angle probably isn't the best,
Wayne wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 am ...albeit it’s notoriously hard to gauge depth from a high angle. I would suggest shooting from hip height and the rear 3/4 angle next time if you can.....Filming yourself is super helpful, something I don’t do enough to be honest.
I usually film one set each workout to try to spot issues myself, and to stop form creep as the weight goes up. I have already fixed a pretty bad butt wink, and am working on the getting too forward thing. I was also losing upper back tightness and letting the bar push me down and forward as I went into the hole which was causing issues coming back out.
Re camera angle; I found that when filmed from rear 3/4 angle the rear upright was obscuring too much. I can easily film from a lower angle, would more side on be better?

Wayne wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 am Reps 1,3,4 looked high with the others borderline
I'm not super worried about the depth, I did also think this set was a fraction high. As I said above I film often and usually the depth is better than this set, and I will continue to monitor and adjust that.

BenM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm If I had to nitpick a bit, your stance might be a little wide...
Wayne wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 am It looks like you are not letting your rear end drop into “the hole” which is quite common. I can’t see stance width, but at a guess make it 2-3” narrower and turn your toes out more. Push knees over the toes on the descent (ie don’t let them collapse inwards) and drop into the space created by that wider hip angle.
If you don’t open the hip up you won’t be able to lower yourself into that space so you may feel you can’t go lower, but it’s likely hip related.
I'm 6'1" and about 5'10" of that is leg, so I know I have been going a little wider than is usually suggested. I will look into coming in a bit and turning out more.

BenM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm but these don't look half bad to me.
Murelli wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 am your squat is already plenty decent.
Thank you. This totally surprises me. I have already fixed issues that I can see, but fully expected to see you guys giving me a long list of things that my untrained eye is not picking up. I was totally expecting to see knee slide mentioned, I actually am not sure I truly understand what that even is or what it would look like.

Murelli wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 am I say this as warning because overcorrecting and obsessing over form can in fact worsen the squat (IMO the easiest lift to screw up).
Noted. I will be mindful of that.
No-one has ever seen my squat but me, so I know that there must at least be a few things I can improve.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:54 am

Side on works well too, try get from a lower height as well and it should be decent. That’s how I film most of mine as similarly the uprights get in the way for me.

In terms of priority personally I would want to be hitting depth very clearly every time if it was a recently reset weight. Rebuilding the technique to go lower will get harder as the weight goes up and habit sets in.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 am

Knee slide is usually seen as the knee going forward at the bottom of the squat and either the back rounding or getting more vertical. Hip flexor pain is a common consequence of knee slide.

Monoides
Location: The one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.

Post by Monoides » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:13 am

Ragholmes wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 am I'm 6'1" and about 5'10" of that is leg, so I know I have been going a little wider than is usually suggested. I will look into coming in a bit and turning out more.
Your leg segment lengths look very similar to mine, and I've experienced this specific issue as well. Once you've worked out the optimum width, try putting some fixed reference points on the floor where the outside edges of your feet want to be. Might help you fight the instinct to drift wider as the weight starts to get heavier again, which I think is natural when it's perched atop a looming tower of femur and you just want to feel a bit more stable.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:44 am

Monoides wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:13 am try putting some fixed reference points on the floor where the outside edges of your feet want to be.
That's a good idea.
I used a metallic silver sharpie to mark the holes on my rack where I put my safeties and j-hooks. I also drew 2 marks on the stall mats each side of the rack so I know I'm not too far forward or back, and I marked where the feet of my bench go. I wasn't sure if the marks on the floor would hold up, but they've been there for maybe a year now, a little faded but no need for a touch up yet.
Once I've got it dialed in I'll trace my feet

DynamicUprightRows

Post by DynamicUprightRows » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

Hey man.
Just a post-novice trainee here with my 2 cents.
Kinda hard to see from this angle but have you tried tucking your elbows even lower i.e. in line with your torso (the pin your elbows to your side cue)?
My issue was elbow pain but once I got my elbows tucked more in line with my torso- no more pain.

Maybe worth a go, hope your LP is going well!