Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

quark

Juggernaut Artificial Intelligence Powerlifting Coaching

Post by quark » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Juggernaut Artificial Intelligence Powerlifting Coaching

Post by Manveer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 am

Exciting stuff. This plus Avatar nutrition...probably better than a lot of online coaches. I guess we need to see some reviews first.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 am

I'm gonna try this.

More interested in the statistical learning tools than anything else.

stevan
theoretical lifter only

Post by stevan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am

Well, good news.

Related: https://www.blestcoaching.com

wk105

Post by wk105 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 am

Mike T mentioned in a podcast a while back that RTS is working on AI for the programming to free up the coaches to be able to spend more time coaching.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 am

Beyond a "switch... case..." algorithm and some parameters, this AI stuff is only going to be as good as the feedback loop.

While I understand that there is a reality to this concept, with a human in the loop to provide feedback and expecting that feedback to be accurate and consistent, it's going to be riddled with system noise.

Needed for this AI stuff is a bar speed tool along with some qualitative feedback mechanisms, imo.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 am

This looks very interesting....seems like a reasonable approach. I imagine you don't get quite the same level of customization a human coach would give you (working around injuries etc) but the actual programming per se could be pretty effective.

It says it programs for you "just like Chad Wesley Smith would" - I wonder if that means there are inherent biases towards rep ranges, set/rep schemes etc and if this could be personalized with different coaching personalities or if it gravitates towards the most effective ones for you individually as it iterates training cycles. Also curious about how it periodizes long term training.

victrhugochavez

Post by victrhugochavez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm

I still don't know how I feel about this. I'm not sure what the difference between a CWS "AI" or a Garret Blevins "AI" is supposed to be
mgil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 amWhile I understand that there is a reality to this concept, with a human in the loop to provide feedback and expecting that feedback to be accurate and consistent, it's going to be riddled with system noise... Needed for this AI stuff is a bar speed tool
To be honest though, if you try to make bar speed an input you're increasing noise. But I think they do have some qualitative metrics baked in.

Travis

Post by Travis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm

victrhugochavez wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm I still don't know how I feel about this. I'm not sure what the difference between a CWS "AI" or a Garret Blevins "AI" is supposed to be
mgil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 amWhile I understand that there is a reality to this concept, with a human in the loop to provide feedback and expecting that feedback to be accurate and consistent, it's going to be riddled with system noise... Needed for this AI stuff is a bar speed tool
To be honest though, if you try to make bar speed an input you're increasing noise. But I think they do have some qualitative metrics baked in.
Chad has said Garrett helped him with this, so it's probably going to be pretty similar. I'll probably give this a try after my meet to compare it to Garrett's Skynet that I'm using.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Travis wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm Garrett's Skynet that I'm using.
What's your experience been like with the Skynet thing? Pretty good gains? Any haywire recommendations (#machinelearningfails can be really funny)?

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm excited but skeptical. Avatar didn't work out well for me, but I think this sort of ai is better suited to training

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 pm

victrhugochavez wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm I still don't know how I feel about this. I'm not sure what the difference between a CWS "AI" or a Garret Blevins "AI" is supposed to be
Maybe. It’s noise with a real signal though.

Seeding the data and model fitting/machine learning type stuff would handle most of the DSP needs and tease out significant data.

Travis

Post by Travis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:17 pm
What's your experience been like with the Skynet thing? Pretty good gains? Any haywire recommendations (#machinelearningfails can be really funny)?
It has me on an 8 week mesocycle & I signed up for a meet 8 weeks out from the end of my 1st 4 week block, so I've done the same block twice. It adjusts your main lifts volume & intensity based on how you rate your readiness & motivation for a particular lift after warmups. All the accessories are RPE based. This works really well for me because I do better with subjective autoregulation than objective, like easy or hard instead of RPE 6 or RPE 9. Having the accessories be RPE let's me practice it without any stress since I don’t really care about them.

Monday I start my 4 week peaking block & am excited to see how it'll change. I am going to have to go from 4 days a week to 3 because it just ain't working out with my work schedule. Hopefully this doesn't cause Skynet to send Robert Patrick after me.

bross84

Post by bross84 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:53 pm

I also ran Garrett's SkyNet AI Programming for around 8-12 weeks; I can't remember exactly. I can't personally say I had the best luck out of it, but it could be different now. When I was running the AI programming, you could tell it was very Sheiko based, and I believe at that time Garrett was either being coaching by Sheiko or had just stopped being coach by him. I went on to run a Sheiko based program I wrote for myself and had fairly good success for the length of time I ran it as it was just my last bit of raw training before getting into single-ply equipment. I was finishing up my last semester of school when I ran his AI coaching, so I won't say it was all the programming from him.

I was a little disappointed with the program because I have been coached by Garrett in the past and had stellar results, but that is when he was pushing more of the BCR programs which were a little more personal.

foodformyfoodhole

Post by foodformyfoodhole » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm

After listening to the Juggernaut podcast on the AI Coaching, this seems a lot more like a mostly condition based algorithm based on Chad's coaching experience, with some adjustments for individual response. Not AI in a machine learning data-driven sense, but more of a customized interactive template builder. They mentioned Excel multiple times (where's the vomit emoji?).

bross84

Post by bross84 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:51 pm

foodformyfoodhole wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm After listening to the Juggernaut podcast on the AI Coaching, this seems a lot more like a mostly condition based algorithm based on Chad's coaching experience, with some adjustments for individual response. Not AI in a machine learning data-driven sense, but more of a customized interactive template builder. They mentioned Excel multiple times (where's the vomit emoji?).
This is exactly how Garrett's SkyNet programming worked when I used it. I understand at this point he is developing an app but while I was signed up it was a spreadsheet with a BUNCH of basically "if" commands if you rated fatigue at X it adjusted the number of sets, if you rated fatigue high enough it would reduce the number of sets and the weight a little bit. And if you use excel at all or care about aesthetics of a spreadsheet Garrett's left a lot to be desired, but that's just me being overly critical. :geek:

To me, it's just as easy to use TRAC and use RPE to adjust the weight day to day.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:01 pm

foodformyfoodhole wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm After listening to the Juggernaut podcast on the AI Coaching, this seems a lot more like a mostly condition based algorithm based on Chad's coaching experience, Not AI in a machine learning data-driven sense, but more of a customized interactive template builder. They mentioned Excel multiple times (where's the vomit emoji?).
Yeah. Meh.

I'm much more interested in the possibility of data-driven, machine-learning.

Man, I really wish I took a fuckton more stats.

bross84 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:53 pm
I also ran Garrett's SkyNet AI Programming for around 8-12 weeks; I can't remember exactly. I can't personally say I had the best luck out of it, but it could be different now. When I was running the AI programming, you could tell it was very Sheiko based, and I believe at that time Garrett was either being coaching by Sheiko or had just stopped being coach by him. I went on to run a Sheiko based program I wrote for myself and had fairly good success for the length of time I ran it as it was just my last bit of raw training before getting into single-ply equipment. I was finishing up my last semester of school when I ran his AI coaching, so I won't say it was all the programming from him.

I was a little disappointed with the program because I have been coached by Garrett in the past and had stellar results, but that is when he was pushing more of the BCR programs which were a little more personal.
Thanks for the feedback, Very interesting.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 pm

I mean that does sound exactly like a rules engine.

An expert system.

Once you have enough rules the system will find patterns humans miss.

ErminK

Post by ErminK » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 am

They put out a video explaining some of it:

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 am

Is AI supposed to be better than, er...I?