Juggernaut Artificial Intelligence Powerlifting Coaching

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Cleverusername

Re: Juggernaut Artificial Intelligence Powerlifting Coaching

Post by Cleverusername » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:51 am

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:09 pm Can you enter a meet date into the app and have it handle the peaking?
Yes. When you initially setup your program it asks you for a ending date. Then programs hypertrophy/strength/peaking blocks that end on the date you selected.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:00 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:30 pm
TimF wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:15 am One downside is the workouts can be long if you're not strict on the rest timer. It will superset some of the accessories, but I've taken to supersetting just about all the accessory movements to save time.
Define "long." I've got an hour, 70min tops to get in and out. My goals are more like 80% hypertrophy.
I’m doing the powerbuilding with 70% powerlifting focus. (You can change this percentage). I’ve only done hypertrophy blocks so far. The workouts are 1.5 to 2+ hours for me to complete. The volume changes quite a bit week to week, so some workouts are a lot longer than others. There’s usually two barbell compound movements and 5-6 accessory movements. I typically rest 2-2.5 minutes on compounds and 1-1.5 minutes on accessories

leprechaun71

Post by leprechaun71 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:44 am

Cleverusername wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:00 am
TimF wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:15 am One downside is the workouts can be long if you're not strict on the rest timer. It will superset some of the accessories, but I've taken to supersetting just about all the accessory movements to save time.
Define "long." I've got an hour, 70min tops to get in and out. My goals are more like 80% hypertrophy.
I’m doing the powerbuilding with 70% powerlifting focus. (You can change this percentage). I’ve only done hypertrophy blocks so far. The workouts are 1.5 to 2+ hours for me to complete. The volume changes quite a bit week to week, so some workouts are a lot longer than others. There’s usually two barbell compound movements and 5-6 accessory movements. I typically rest 2-2.5 minutes on compounds and 1-1.5 minutes on accessories
How many days per week?

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:22 pm

leprechaun71 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:44 am
Cleverusername wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:00 am
How many days per week?
4x per week.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:27 am

If you have an injury that precludes doing a particular lift, such as the bench press, can the juggernaut AI accommodate that?

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:20 pm

platypus wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:27 am If you have an injury that precludes doing a particular lift, such as the bench press, can the juggernaut AI accommodate that?
The preworkout questionnaire asks if you are rehabbing any injuries. Let’s you check a box for squat/bench/deadlift rehab protocols. I’m not sure what the programming looks like if you check these boxes.

TimF

Post by TimF » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:14 am

I can do it in an hour on the lower volume days. But at the end of a hypertrophy block, there's a ton of accessories and sets. This week I'm going for a 1:30 rest instead of 2:00 to speed things up. The compound lifts are always first, so you could do those first. I'm also doing 4x week. I think if you did more it would spread things out.

TimF

Post by TimF » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:16 am

Cleverusername wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:20 pm
platypus wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:27 am If you have an injury that precludes doing a particular lift, such as the bench press, can the juggernaut AI accommodate that?
The preworkout questionnaire asks if you are rehabbing any injuries. Let’s you check a box for squat/bench/deadlift rehab protocols. I’m not sure what the programming looks like if you check these boxes.
It will lower the reps and weight if you indicate soreness (I haven't tried injury). It will also dynamically adjust during the workout, for example if you can't hit the target rep/RPE it will cut that exercise short.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue May 03, 2022 10:01 am

I am going to give this app a shot. Just signed up today. It seems like it has a lot of autoregulation built in, which is good.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Fri May 06, 2022 8:54 pm

I did 12 weeks of the power building. It was fun, but the sessions were dragging out a little too long for my liking. It auto regulates well, I didn’t feel beat up. I workout in my garage and don’t have a lot of room, so setting up multiple exercises/supersets was taking up too much time.

I also did 12 weeks of the powerlifting program. 4wks hypertrophy, 4 wks strength, 4 wks peaking. The session length was much more manageable.
At the end of the strength block I was feeling good, setting some rep PRS, and pulling my years old deadlift PR for a triple @9.(20 lbs lighter BW to boot)

Then the wheels fell off during the peaking block. Had some insomnia, got sick twice, missed reps. Just did not go well at all.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Anyone have issues with the app on an Android device? Seems to work fine on my iPad, but it has issues connecting and pulling my data on my Android phone.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 am

Bump

Anyone using this? I downloaded the app to check it out.

One of the things I saw that I don't like is when it gives you an exercise slot like "shoulders", and then you pick.. well, there's a big difference in stimulus/fatigue/etc. from a lateral raise and a dumbbell incline bench. Seems like, at the very least, they would have options listed in order of most "optimal".

Also, sessions look really long. I know most people have said you have to superset accessories, but I typically have about 60-75 minutes to workout. For me, that means 2-4 total lifts, for about 15 total sets, with ~2min rests between sets.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:59 am

gtl wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 am Bump

@alek has been using it for a while now.

James

Post by James » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:46 am

The more I read Juggernaut's programming book the more it seems it was written frustrate you into using the app.

All the info is there but it's oddly concise of stuff like volume landmarks but goes on to be vague on things like frequency. I guess maybe the book is trying to get you to think about programming.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:03 am

I used the app for a few weeks, and I think it is really slick. People seem to love it. I went away from it because I just like to do my own programming. However, from what I've seen, I would recommend it to anyone that was think about spending money on a coach. Definitely better than a template and much cheaper than a coach.

BTW, the issues that I was having with the app were on my end. For some reason my google router was having issues with my google android phone. Strange.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:30 pm

gtl wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 am Bump

1) One of the things I saw that I don't like is when it gives you an exercise slot like "shoulders", and then you pick.. well, there's a big difference in stimulus/fatigue/etc. from a lateral raise and a dumbbell incline bench. Seems like, at the very least, they would have options listed in order of most "optimal".

2) Also, sessions look really long. I know most people have said you have to superset accessories, but I typically have about 60-75 minutes to workout. For me, that means 2-4 total lifts, for about 15 total sets, with ~2min rests between sets.
I’ve been using it since the end of May. I’m doing a meet in early November, and it’s doing the whole macrocycle for me. I’ve done two hypertrophy blocks, and I’ve started the first strength block—I’ve missed two weeks to travel and time constraints. I’m getting back in the saddle on Monday.

I have a few gripes, but I imagine I would with anything other than personal coaching.

To address your two concerns, for 1), they kinda do that for the big compounds. I don’t like high bar squats, so I can change to something else; the list they give is stuff similar to high bar. For the accessories, they just list everything they have, and I pick what I want to work on given how tired I am.

For 2), they can get long, but the sessions can be very quick for the first couple weeks of a hypertrophy block as you ramp up the volume. When it gets to be too long, I just cut stuff out, which is usually the last accessory work.

Overall, I’m glad I’m using it, and I would recommend it, echoing what John said about being cheaper than a coach but better than a template.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:58 pm

The new EvolveAI app looks exactly the JuggAI app? Seems like there might be an IP issue brewing. I'm curious how the EvolveAI differs from JuggAI. Mike T. also involved with EvolveAI.

ETA: I ran through the setup on this app, and it had the same questions as JuggAI. Maybe it is the same user interface, but with different programming. The monthly cost looks about $10 cheaper.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:54 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:58 pm The new EvolveAI app looks exactly the JuggAI app? Seems like there might be an IP issue brewing. I'm curious how the EvolveAI differs from JuggAI. Mike T. also involved with EvolveAI.

ETA: I ran through the setup on this app, and it had the same questions as JuggAI. Maybe it is the same user interface, but with different programming. The monthly cost looks about $10 cheaper.
Yeah, it looks almost exactly the same just from their website. I have no expertise in that area, but I would hope a company wouldn't do something like that unless they could, legally.

Looks like $15 per month, which is about $20 cheaper on a monthly basis.

I wonder if we're going to have the xyzAI app wars over the next couple years.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:13 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:58 pm The new EvolveAI app looks exactly the JuggAI app? Seems like there might be an IP issue brewing. I'm curious how the EvolveAI differs from JuggAI. Mike T. also involved with EvolveAI.

I dunno how much IP one can protect from a UI point of view. Maybe @omaniphil has some insight?

I’d place a wager that the guts of the AI, along with whatever tuning parameters are applied, are significantly different between the two. Not saying CWS has dummies working for him, but I think Mike T & RTS have probably spent a lot more time in the data curation stage to build the model. As most people in AI/ML would attest to, that’s where the hard work lies: cleaning up crappy data.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:43 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:13 pm

I dunno how much IP one can protect from a UI point of view. Maybe @omaniphil has some insight?

I’d place a wager that the guts of the AI, along with whatever tuning parameters are applied, are significantly different between the two. Not saying CWS has dummies working for him, but I think Mike T & RTS have probably spent a lot more time in the data curation stage to build the model. As most people in AI/ML would attest to, that’s where the hard work lies: cleaning up crappy data.
A UI can only be protected via a design patent, and a cursory search didn't turn one up. Code is subject to copyright so if EvolveAI copied large segments of code, there could be a problem.

I did notice that Garrett Blevins is listed as a cocreator of Juggernaut AI, and is the CEO of EvolveAI, so without any knowledge of who owns what currently, the range of possibilities could be anything from a creator using his own IP in two different ventures, to a licensing deal between the parties to something more nefarious. Just no way of knowing.