Dinner ideas?

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Sergio07

Dinner ideas?

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi guys any meal/dinner ideas, normally I cook my dinner but sometimes I feel difficult to reach my calorie intake (although I always hit it, even if I have to force feed myself), do you have any dinner ideas of around ~1000cal that are high carb, high protein, moderate fat?
Thanks.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Dinner ideas?

Post by Allentown » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Costco smoked gouda and chicken sausage, white rice, spinach, and Franks Red Hot. Each sausage is something like 14g P, low fat & low carb. Cut up the sausage, pile spinach on top of a plate of 3-4 cut up sausages, cover the whole thing with rice, top with Franks.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm Costco smoked gouda and chicken sausage, white rice, spinach, and Franks Red Hot. Each sausage is something like 14g P, low fat & low carb. Cut up the sausage, pile spinach on top of a plate of 3-4 cut up sausages, cover the whole thing with rice, top with Franks.
Oh man that sounds delicious, the only thing is that I don't live nowhere near to a Costco, also I've never prepared rice, and I don't usually cook in bulk, I always things for the day I'm eating. But I can manage to do something similar to what you recommend, maybe with pasta.
Thanks man.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Quick rice cooking lesson:

1)buy rice
2)read directions
3)ignore them
4) boil water in covered pot (2 cups for every cup of dry rice
5) dump rice in boiling water and turn the burner off.
6)come back in like 15-30 minutes
7)feel stupid for not asking more questions to those who prepared your meals when you were a kid

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm

A recipe from my early 20s self:

Box of instant Mac and cheese
1 (or 2) Cans of tuna
BBQ sauce and hot sauce

Make the Mac n Cheese. Mix in the tuna and BBQ/hot sauce. Ignore your girlfriend telling you that soundslooks and smells disgusting. Vow to learn how to properly cook, once you get some money to buy something that wasn’t ramen or mac n cheese

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm extremely fond of my rice cooker. Big bags of Jasmine rice are really cheap from an Asian grocery store and they let you focus on preparing the other parts of your meal while your carbohydrate source gets ready without any worry. I have a zojirushi, but cheaper ones work fine too. Load rice, load water, add some salt (pinch per rice cooker cup) press start and you're good.

My current heavy rotation meal is sort of a burrito bowl. I start by cooking my rice, putting chicken thighs (I use chicken breast and cook it less so it doesn't dry out) in a splash of water with some taco spice (I get the big club house containers). When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat and cover and simmer.

While that is going, prepare your other garnishes. I make a pico de gallo, prepackaged salsa is probably fine if you aren't great with a knife, guacamole is good if you have the macros for it, and light or regular sour cream and cheese are nice. I also make a pot of black beans and microwave some of those up for meals throughout the week. Everyone likes thinly sliced green onions and some people like cilantro.

Toward the end I pull the chicken out, turn the heat up, mix in a little cornstarch/cold water slurry to thicken the pan liquid, finely dice the chicken and add it back when the liquid is adequately reduced/thickened to coat and adjust seasoning

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:40 pm

augeleven wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm A recipe from my early 20s self:

Box of instant Mac and cheese
1 (or 2) Cans of tuna
BBQ sauce and hot sauce

Make the Mac n Cheese. Mix in the tuna and BBQ/hot sauce. Ignore your girlfriend telling you that soundslooks and smells disgusting. Vow to learn how to properly cook, once you get some money to buy something that wasn’t ramen or mac n cheese
I usually make pasta (any type) with tuna and pesto, pretty tasty and have good macros

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Fzt wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm I'm extremely fond of my rice cooker. Big bags of Jasmine rice are really cheap from an Asian grocery store and they let you focus on preparing the other parts of your meal while your carbohydrate source gets ready without any worry. I have a zojirushi, but cheaper ones work fine too. Load rice, load water, add some salt (pinch per rice cooker cup) press start and you're good.

My current heavy rotation meal is sort of a burrito bowl. I start by cooking my rice, putting chicken thighs (I use chicken breast and cook it less so it doesn't dry out) in a splash of water with some taco spice (I get the big club house containers). When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat and cover and simmer.

While that is going, prepare your other garnishes. I make a pico de gallo, prepackaged salsa is probably fine if you aren't great with a knife, guacamole is good if you have the macros for it, and light or regular sour cream and cheese are nice. I also make a pot of black beans and microwave some of those up for meals throughout the week. Everyone likes thinly sliced green onions and some people like cilantro.

Toward the end I pull the chicken out, turn the heat up, mix in a little cornstarch/cold water slurry to thicken the pan liquid, finely dice the chicken and add it back when the liquid is adequately reduced/thickened to coat and adjust seasoning
How long does it take you to do it?, it sound pretty tasty but seems a lot of work to do, right now I could do it since I'm in vacations from school, but when I start college next year I don't think I could expend much time cooking, anyway I'll try your recipe, maybe I could swap rice to beans that are easy to get canned.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:46 pm

I like my rice cooker too. Seriously it was like $10 from Target. You just put the rice and water in and turn it on, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to cook. I usually do a bigger batch than I need and freeze portions in ziplock baggies but you don't have to do that. Makes things easy though, then you have a low fat carb source ready to go any time, a minute in the microwave and you can serve it with almost anything.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:54 pm

@Sergio07 whole thing is done in the time it takes for rice to cook, so like half an hour. Might be a bit too much work for one person, but you don't need every element. Basic idea is to just make Chipotle type stuff at home with easily measured macros. Canned beans will absolutely work too

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Fzt wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:54 pm @Sergio07 whole thing is done in the time it takes for rice to cook, so like half an hour. Might be a bit too much work for one person, but you don't need every element. Basic idea is to just make Chipotle type stuff at home with easily measured macros. Canned beans will absolutely work too
Thanks man, I'll definetly try that, I hope my parents doesn't looke me weird when I start preparing the rice

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm

BenM wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:46 pm I like my rice cooker too. Seriously it was like $10 from Target. You just put the rice and water in and turn it on, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to cook. I usually do a bigger batch than I need and freeze portions in ziplock baggies but you don't have to do that. Makes things easy though, then you have a low fat carb source ready to go any time, a minute in the microwave and you can serve it with almost anything.
The thing is that I don't own a rice cooker I need to do it in a pot, but I'll try one of these nights, and cooking it in bulk it's a good idea if I'm planning to eat a lot that week, thanks.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:03 pm

@Sergio07 don't forget that rice keeps pretty well in the fridge for like half a week and reheats easily in the microwave. Good for lunches too

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Sergio07 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm
BenM wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:46 pm I like my rice cooker too. Seriously it was like $10 from Target. You just put the rice and water in and turn it on, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to cook. I usually do a bigger batch than I need and freeze portions in ziplock baggies but you don't have to do that. Makes things easy though, then you have a low fat carb source ready to go any time, a minute in the microwave and you can serve it with almost anything.
The thing is that I don't own a rice cooker I need to do it in a pot, but I'll try one of these nights, and cooking it in bulk it's a good idea if I'm planning to eat a lot that week, thanks.
That was my point though, if you like rice, they are cheap as chips, even for a teenager.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Fzt wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:03 pm @Sergio07 don't forget that rice keeps pretty well in the fridge for like half a week and reheats easily in the microwave. Good for lunches too
Yup that's a pretty good advantage of rice, but I would only use it for dinner, because my lunch is something someone already does it for me, it contains rice too. Thanks for the tips man.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm

BenM wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 pm
Sergio07 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm
That was my point though, if you like rice, they are cheap as chips, even for a teenager.
Well rice isn't my favourite carbs source, I prefer pasta or bagels (bread), maybe it's because I don't know how make preaparations with it, however when the rice it's mixed with the plate I really like that, like a stir-fry, but if it's just the rice alone I really don't find it very tasty.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Rice is better if you dump a can of chunky soup on it.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:22 am

michael wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm Rice is better if you dump a can of chunky soup on it.
I can tell, that's what I mean when I say thet rice is tasty if it's like part of the plate, not just and accompaniment.

ErminK

Post by ErminK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 am

When I want something really fast and simple I just spatchcock a chicken, throw it in the oven for 45 minutes or so and make some rice on the side or just eat it with bread.

If you want to cook something, I make a very simple pasta sauce often which I like very much. Sautee a finely chopped onion and garlic or two (or howevermuch you like). Add 1kg diced chicken or minced meat (I dice and season the chicken beforehand). Fry it up all together until the chicken is done or meat is browned. I usually wait for the juices from meat to evaporate as well. Then I add some sieved tomatoes (500ml on 1kg meat usually) and a glass of warm water. Throw in a spoon of sugar, more salt if needed, some pepper, hot paprika, whatever you like. Turn temperature down, cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Boil 150-200g of macaroni, throw in a ton of the sauce and you're good. I like this one because I can make larger batches with 1kg - 1.5kg of meat, enough for 3-5 good meals. Either chicken or minced beef work great.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 am

ErminK wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 am When I want something really fast and simple I just spatchcock a chicken, throw it in the oven for 45 minutes or so and make some rice on the side or just eat it with bread.

If you want to cook something, I make a very simple pasta sauce often which I like very much. Sautee a finely chopped onion and garlic or two (or howevermuch you like). Add 1kg diced chicken or minced meat (I dice and season the chicken beforehand). Fry it up all together until the chicken is done or meat is browned. I usually wait for the juices from meat to evaporate as well. Then I add some sieved tomatoes (500ml on 1kg meat usually) and a glass of warm water. Throw in a spoon of sugar, more salt if needed, some pepper, hot paprika, whatever you like. Turn temperature down, cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Boil 150-200g of macaroni, throw in a ton of the sauce and you're good. I like this one because I can make larger batches with 1kg - 1.5kg of meat, enough for 3-5 good meals. Either chicken or minced beef work great.
I'll try to make that pasta this week and see if I can incorporate it into my daily diet, thanks man, also it can work for later when I won't have that much time to prepare my meals.