Global Warming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: Global Warming Thread

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Short version: "There is no Bright Green future, we have to consume less."
Bright Greens: "Take it down!"

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:57 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm Short version: "There is no Bright Green future, we have to consume less."
Bright Greens: "Take it down!"
yeah, I made it about half way through last night and got super depressed and shut it off.
I didn't want to watch the rest right before I took my kid out running.
Didn't want to be in that type of mood with my kids; the no-future-for-man-kind-we-have-collectively-ruined-the-planet-mood mood.

I'm trying to read some stuff about why the Greens are saying to "take it down".
So far, the guy is right: Solar, Wind, etc is a big fucking joke.
I'll watch the 2nd half tonight .... so far he's danced around any mention of nuke-power....we'll see.

Culican

Post by Culican » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am

Damn polluters!
"It’s an interesting tale, don’t you think? The dominant form of life on Earth, spread to the far reaches of the globe, blissfully and blithely pumping out vast amounts of pollution, changing the environment on a planetary scale, sealing their fate. They wouldn’t have been able to stop even if they knew what they were doing, even if they had been warned far, far in advance of the effects they were creating. "

https://slate.com/technology/2014/07/th ... ction.html

The world's first polluters. Who the hell did they think they were pumping all that toxic oxygen into the atmosphere.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 am

Culican wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am Damn polluters!
"It’s an interesting tale, don’t you think? The dominant form of life on Earth, spread to the far reaches of the globe, blissfully and blithely pumping out vast amounts of pollution, changing the environment on a planetary scale, sealing their fate. They wouldn’t have been able to stop even if they knew what they were doing, even if they had been warned far, far in advance of the effects they were creating. "

The world's first polluters. Who the hell did they think they were pumping all that toxic oxygen into the atmosphere.
yeah, that was the point of that line.
We humans, who can put a man on the moon and edit genes, are no better than primordial mindless bacterial sludge

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 am
Culican wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am Damn polluters!

yeah, that was the point of that line.
We humans, who can put a man on the moon and edit genes, are no better than primordial mindless bacterial sludge
But... we wouldn't be here without their pollution.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am

Culican wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am But... we wouldn't be here without their pollution.
yes, imagine the glory when the human race is all gone and dead.

the atmosphere all full of CO2 and water vapor

It will be the age of plants (again?)

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:07 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am
Culican wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am But... we wouldn't be here without their pollution.
yes, imagine the glory when the human race is all gone and dead.

the atmosphere all full of CO2 and water vapor

It will be the age of plants (again?)
And any trace of us would probably be very difficult to find.

"Perhaps, someday, our signal in the rocks will be found, but only if eagle-eyed stratigraphers, from God knows where on the tree of life, crisscross their own rearranged Earth, assiduously trying to find us. But they would be unlikely to be rewarded for their effort."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ne/595795/

Edit; Change that, they would probably find one of those damn 100lb plates i bought buried somewhere in the strata.
Last edited by Culican on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 am

Deletion of improper edit attempt. (Quoted instead of edited)

Culican

Post by Culican » Sat May 02, 2020 10:02 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm Can't wait to snuggle up to my TV and watch this one.

Got to admit, tip my hat to Michael Moore .... many of Green Movement people (aka: The Left) are totally pissed off about it.
Awww....sorry. Documentary might get in the way of you fleecing the world (not fixed a fucking thing).

Trailer:

Fill movie here !
1 hr 40 minutes.

I'm really rooting for the coronavirus,
hope it eliminates most of the 1st world population.
Well that was disturbing.
I watched the whole thing yesterday. As usual, follow the money.

If anyone doesn't want to watch the whole 1:40, the video posted yesterday in this thread is the short version (2:45).

viewtopic.php?p=229609#p229609

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:56 am

Since Corona19 isN'T even living up to the apocalypse it was marketed to be ... I'm diverting a lot of my attention (deficit disorder) to the real planet killer: Global Warming

---------------------

Nov. 6th - 4:40am: 84F.

....fuck you weather

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 amyeah, that was the point of that line.
We humans, who can put a man on the moon and edit genes, are no better worse than primordial mindless bacterial sludge
Fixed it for you.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:40 am

The Great Reset:

I'll admit, I don't know what Canada is doing currently .... but just off the top of my head, I think they are still selling/export a shit-ton of oil to everyone to burn .... while their own country can run on quite a bit of hydro-power (conveniently, only because of geography and low population) and nuke stuff. And, according to wiki, they're are a top consumer of energy per captia....

Tell ya what? stop selling oil to everyone.

There a few countries like this I can't stand.
I can't remember off of the top of my head, one is a Scandinavian/northern Europe and one in Asia who always toot their own horn about how their domestic energy production is carbon neutral, and the go off like "why can't you other (dirty) countries do this?".
The only reason is hydro-electric/geography ... and low population.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 pm

There's a TV series called Occupied where the Norwegians elect a Green government who refuses to sell oil to anyone anymore. They get invaded by Russia who occupies them and makes sure they sell oil.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am

Nuke thing catching on ... and Look! bipartisanshipnessess

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... nistration

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am Nuke thing catching on ... and Look! bipartisanshipnessess

It is the height of stupidity that the US is not primarily nuclear powered in 2020.

omaniphil

Earthday

Post by omaniphil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 am
mbasic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am Nuke thing catching on ... and Look! bipartisanshipnessess

It is the height of stupidity that the US is not primarily nuclear powered in 2020.
Bumping this for Earth Day.

I 100% agree with this. I find any discussion of climate change, global warming, and what we can do to counter that, that doesn't involve nuclear power to just be fundamentally unserious.

I'm fairly convinced that climate change is occurring, that humans are at least mostly responsible for it, but I'm not convinced that the parade of horribles that are trotted out will happen, or will be anywhere near as bad. That being said, I'm all for being a good steward of the Earth while not condemning society to be stuck with expensive and scarce power which would hurt progress and harm living conditions in both developed countries and the Global South.

The only answer to this is nuclear power. Modern designs are much safer than previous designs, allowing for passive cooling and negative feedback designs that make meltdowns nearly impossible. Changing the regulatory structure to enable the NRC to approve design templates rather than doing separate analyses for every single plant would speed up the construction of power plants and radically decrease the costs.

If nuclear power became cheap enough and widespread enough, widespread electrical vehicle usage could become a real thing. Vast desalination plants located near power plants could provide plenty of water to desert regions, while CO2 output would plummet. There's also a lot of literature out there showing how new sources of cheap power spurred on exponential economic growth (the industrial revolution - coal/steam, mass automation
- electricity) and I look forward to seeing what future growth there could be with dirt cheap nuclear power

DoctorWho

Re: Earthday

Post by DoctorWho » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm

omaniphil wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 am
aurelius wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 am

Bumping this for Earth Day.

I 100% agree with this. I find any discussion of climate change, global warming, and what we can do to counter that, that doesn't involve nuclear power to just be fundamentally unserious.

I'm fairly convinced that climate change is occurring, that humans are at least mostly responsible for it, but I'm not convinced that the parade of horribles that are trotted out will happen, or will be anywhere near as bad. That being said, I'm all for being a good steward of the Earth while not condemning society to be stuck with expensive and scarce power which would hurt progress and harm living conditions in both developed countries and the Global South.

The only answer to this is nuclear power. Modern designs are much safer than previous designs, allowing for passive cooling and negative feedback designs that make meltdowns nearly impossible. Changing the regulatory structure to enable the NRC to approve design templates rather than doing separate analyses for every single plant would speed up the construction of power plants and radically decrease the costs.

If nuclear power became cheap enough and widespread enough, widespread electrical vehicle usage could become a real thing. Vast desalination plants located near power plants could provide plenty of water to desert regions, while CO2 output would plummet. There's also a lot of literature out there showing how new sources of cheap power spurred on exponential economic growth (the industrial revolution - coal/steam, mass automation
- electricity) and I look forward to seeing what future growth there could be with dirt cheap nuclear power
From your mouth to God's ears.
To me, what you describe is an example of politics & ideology making a person stupid. It might make political sense for no-nuke hippies, watermelon environmentalists (green on the outside, red on the inside), semiconductor and wind turbine manufacturers, urbanites who hate Trump-voting oil and gas workers, etc. to promote only wind and solar even before they are ready, but I don't understand why normal people fall for it.

How much better off would we be today if for the past 20 years the US promoted natural gas fracking worldwide as a stop gap measure while building nukes and letting solar and wind slowly take over gas. Instead, the world get more coal plants in addition to the gas, while solar and wind have a rocky co-existence and we hope that battery technology will leap forward.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue May 18, 2021 8:58 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this tweet:

jrrenegar

Post by jrrenegar » Wed May 19, 2021 12:33 pm

I'm a nuclear engineer (by training at least, not career). I skimmed this thread and was really encouraged at the pro-nuclear opinions. It's always been incredibly clear to me that it's the only energy source that can hope to replace the bulk of fossil fuel usage. Sadly it looks like it's actually decreasing its share of total energy generated. I remembered it being around 20% when I was in school around 2005, but now I'm seeing 12%.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed May 19, 2021 5:21 pm

jrrenegar wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:33 pm I'm a nuclear engineer (by training at least, not career). I skimmed this thread and was really encouraged at the pro-nuclear opinions. It's always been incredibly clear to me that it's the only energy source that can hope to replace the bulk of fossil fuel usage. Sadly it looks like it's actually decreasing its share of total energy generated. I remembered it being around 20% when I was in school around 2005, but now I'm seeing 12%.
Any favorite reactor types? For fission reactors, I'm partial to Molten Salt reactors, but am a little worried about the maintenance issues. I'm really holding out hope for some new fusion reactors. I'm really hoping a polywell type reactor using a pB11 reaction works out, but that seems unlikely at this point.