Started a business. Don't want your money. Just Sharing :)

Offering services? Make a post. Be clear and concise.

The administrators and moderators make no money from services offered here.

No warranties or guarantees made nor implied.

Moderators: mgil, Chebass88

dcw

Started a business. Don't want your money. Just Sharing :)

Post by dcw » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:06 pm

I've legitimized/formalized my side hustle, which is a mix between gen pop fitness and fitness related stuff geared towards LE/Special Ops.

For those that don't know/follow me (which I assume would be the majority of you all) I'm currently a police officer but my formal education is in exercise science, I coached in the university setting for a few years, and then I trained at a commercial gym for several years before deciding to switch careers.

It's been on the bucket list for awhile, and honestly I needed a better platform for the way I was currently doing things. It's been fun creating something of my own and it'll be an interesting new challenge.

Exodus isn't really my market (most of you are smarter than me :D ) unless you're in public safety/special operations and need help with something specific.

So hire Hanley or KOTJ for your training needs, but check me out and follow along as I stumble through entrepreneurship!

My site could use the traffic.

Shield Training Systems, LLC
https://shieldtrainingsystems.com
IG @shieldtrainingsystems

Thanks,
Dexter

-Still not an SSC

cwd

Re: Started a business. Don't want your money. Just Sharing :)

Post by cwd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Congrats! Hope your business thrives.

dcw

Post by dcw » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 pm

cwd wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 pm Congrats! Hope your business thrives.
Thanks @cwd !

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

I assume you're familiar with Rob Shaul and MTI (even though his site isn't listed on your "Influences" section). If not, check it out. He has training programs for operators, LEO, hotshots, etc. Selection prep, fitness assessments, daily training. Probably more than a hundred different programs / options.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm

That’s awesome, @dcw.

Good luck!!!

dcw

Post by dcw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 am

asdf wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm I assume you're familiar with Rob Shaul and MTI (even though his site isn't listed on your "Influences" section). If not, check it out. He has training programs for operators, LEO, hotshots, etc. Selection prep, fitness assessments, daily training. Probably more than a hundred different programs / options.
Thank for sharing this. I'd forgotten all about him; guess i've been "narrowcasting" my own influences! Lol
broseph wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm That’s awesome, @dcw.

Good luck!!!
Thanks dude!

DrHades

Post by DrHades » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

That is awesome, Dexter! I wish you success with your business!

dcw

Post by dcw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 am

DrHades wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am That is awesome, Dexter! I wish you success with your business!
Thanks @DrHades !

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:43 am

Congrats, Dexter - I hope it all goes well for you!

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Congrats, on starting the new business, @dcw. Does this mean that you are going to have start training shirtless like all the big IG celebrities? With your abs, it could help with the traffic!

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pmDoes this mean that you are going to have start training shirtless
Do it!

dcw

Post by dcw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

BenM wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:43 am Congrats, Dexter - I hope it all goes well for you!
Thanks Ben!
Hanley wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm
JohnHelton wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pmDoes this mean that you are going to have start training shirtless
Do it!
You first @JohnHelton !

Unfortunately for my IG traffic The Pit requires a t-shirt at all times (for my shirtless chin-up video awhile back I actually made sure the gym was empty), but once I get my garage outfitted going shirtless will essentially be a requirement during the summer. Thanks, Southern Indiana.

I would actually love to see the IG analytics on how all of the useless stuff (shirtless selfies, booty pics, etc) compares to actual good content in terms of likes, shares, follows, etc. I’m sure it’s much worse than I could imagine.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Hoping your side business kicks ass, @dcw!

IG will give you some decent analytics after a while. All I know is that posting females gets more video views.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:15 am

dcw wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pmuseless stuff (shirtless selfies, booty pics, etc)
You've got the "tactical candy" thing. But in a legit, professional context. It's no booty pics, but I think that stuff appeals sorta broadly.

dcw

Post by dcw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm Hoping your side business kicks ass, @dcw!

IG will give you some decent analytics after a while. All I know is that posting females gets more video views.
Thanks Gilly!

Looks like Christina just got volunteered to be a Shield sponsored athlete :lol:
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:15 am
dcw wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pmuseless stuff (shirtless selfies, booty pics, etc)
You've got the "tactical candy" thing. But in a legit, professional context. It's no booty pics, but I think that stuff appeals sorta broadly.
That was the idea behind the branding. If you're familiar with any of the LE/Specops brands from my "influences" page, they're all putting out stuff that's actually data driven/operationally tested, and not just shit that looks cool but doesn't work very well in practice. That's my goal with the fitness stuff.

I know there's a large market (at least in Law Enforcement) that's misunderstood by the typical "tactical fitness guru". The average officer is in worse shape than the general public, works three off duty jobs, doesn't sleep, eats fast food every day because he or she gets it for free, and is too intimidated to actually start said guru's program because it's insane. BUT, It looks fucking cool as hell on social media so you know they're following and sharing it. So If I can hook them with some tasteful but "tacticool" flash , then maybe I can keep them with some decent content and they'll actually buy in and get better. Someone call Jimmy McMillan, because the number of LEO's dying of preventable health related issues is TOO DAMN HIGH!

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 am

Good luck with the business! Definitely a market both among first responders and "wannabes."

dcw

Post by dcw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm

brkriete wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 am Good luck with the business! Definitely a market both among first responders and "wannabes."
Very true! Thanks @brkriete

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 am

Not sure if you're comfortable commenting extensively on nutrition, but sharing material on how to eat well while working nasty shifts/12s, dealing with interrupted sleep schedules to work with days crew, and quick/easy prep that's convenient to bring with on the job seems like a perfect complement to the Prospect material. My experience has been that that part of shift work is probably harder than carving out 45-90m 3-5d/wk for activity. Would've loved a guide when starting out, haha.

Was also curious if you've ever seen Tactical Barbell's materials. Kind of a dumb name, but composed largely of sound training principles. The author's big on 1) dedicated cardiovascular work (both LISS and HIT), 2) Strength Endurance and "energy systems" circuits, and 3) dedicated strength work (5s, compound lifts, progressive-percentages loading on a training max). A lot of his cardio and endurance stuff is heavily derived from Joel Jamieson's work and the strength focuses on how to get strong without being fat, losing run time, and so on.

Good luck with the business!

dcw

Post by dcw » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 am

OrderInChaos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 am Not sure if you're comfortable commenting extensively on nutrition, but sharing material on how to eat well while working nasty shifts/12s, dealing with interrupted sleep schedules to work with days crew, and quick/easy prep that's convenient to bring with on the job seems like a perfect complement to the Prospect material. My experience has been that that part of shift work is probably harder than carving out 45-90m 3-5d/wk for activity. Would've loved a guide when starting out, haha.

Was also curious if you've ever seen Tactical Barbell's materials. Kind of a dumb name, but composed largely of sound training principles. The author's big on 1) dedicated cardiovascular work (both LISS and HIT), 2) Strength Endurance and "energy systems" circuits, and 3) dedicated strength work (5s, compound lifts, progressive-percentages loading on a training max). A lot of his cardio and endurance stuff is heavily derived from Joel Jamieson's work and the strength focuses on how to get strong without being fat, losing run time, and so on.

Good luck with the business!
Thanks for the suggestion on nutrition. I think that’s a great idea, and I’ll start working on it. I actually taught on a similar topic at our department’s in service training by request this year, so I also think it would be useful.

I haven’t read TB’s books, but their general philosophy seems to be right in line with mine, which is cool. Goofy name or not, lol.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 pm

I'd missed this, I hope it's going well, Dexter.
dcw wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm I would actually love to see the IG analytics on how all of the useless stuff (shirtless selfies, booty pics, etc) compares to actual good content in terms of likes, shares, follows, etc. I’m sure it’s much worse than I could imagine.
There's likes and then there's engagement. Instant attention vs slow burn.

If you actually want to train people - as opposed to writing books, doing seminars, endorsements and the like - I think the slow burn works better. It's much less money though.