Carbon Steel pans/heat diffusers

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Root
Grillmaster

Carbon Steel pans/heat diffusers

Post by Root » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 am

Carbon Steel:

I just ordered this baby in the 12 5/8 inch size.

It (and carbon steel in general) was highly recommended by America's Test Kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Anybody else use these things? I've been frustrated with all of my current cookware. My cast iron is super uneven and takes forever to heat up, and tends to stick to searing meats. Also can't make omelets or scrabled eggs in it. And my cheap aluminum skillet is better for sauteing, but everything sticks to it if I don't use waaaaay more fat than I want to. I'm really hoping the carbon steel performs as well as they say.

Heat Diffusers:

My 11 inch cast iron (and I expect my new carbon steel skillet) heats extremely unevenly on my gas range. Things in the center burn, and things on the outside don't cook. I read yesterday about using aluminum or copper heat diffusing discs to even out the heat on the stove top. The ones on Amazon are stupidly expensive for what they are, but it looks like one can get aluminum discs here http://metalremnants.com/product/aluminum-discs/ for way cheaper. I can't imagine there would be much difference, I mean they're both just a chunk of aluminum, right? Has anybody tried these things?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Carbon Steel pans/heat diffusers

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 am

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 am Anybody else use these things? I've been frustrated with all of my current cookware. My cast iron is super uneven and takes forever to heat up, and tends to stick to searing meats. Also can't make omelets or scrabled eggs in it. And my cheap aluminum skillet is better for sauteing, but everything sticks to it if I don't use waaaaay more fat than I want to. I'm really hoping the carbon steel performs as well as they say.
Let me know, because I am also annoyed with my current egg pan. I asked for new pans for Xmas, but if I don't get anything I might go looking for myself.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 am

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 amAnybody else use these things?
I've used a De Buyer carbon steel pan for years. Pretty great.

What cast iron pan are you using? These guys are expensive, but awesome (they're thinner and heat much quicker than Lodge): http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

But, really, (especially with gas) you need these:

https://www.falkusa.com/copper-cookware ... gItMfD_BwE

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 am
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 amAnybody else use these things?
I've used a De Buyer carbon steel pan for years. Pretty great.

What cast iron pan are you using? These guys are expensive, but awesome (they're thinner and heat much quicker than Lodge): http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

But, really, (especially with gas) you need these:

https://www.falkusa.com/copper-cookware ... gItMfD_BwE
How did I know those pans would be stupidly expensive?

Those pans are mostly copper with a thin layer of stainless steel on the cooking surface....why can't they make the cooking surface thin carbon steel or even (thin, smooth) cast iron? That would be the best of both worlds.

I do have Lodge cast iron. How they thought making the surface bumpy would be a good idea is beyond me. I need to do that thing where I grind it down smooth and reseason.

In your opinion, does carbon steel heat more evenly than super-heavy cast iron? And is thinner cast iron more or less even than thick cast iron?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 amThose pans are mostly copper with a thin layer of stainless steel on the cooking surface....why can't they make the cooking surface thin carbon steel or even (thin, smooth) cast iron? That would be the best of both worlds.
I don't think it's the surface properties of cast iron that makes it useful for cooking -- it's the thermal density. This allows for amazing sears. But the heat conductivity is shit -- thus the ridiculous time to heat-up and the hotspots.

Copper's awesome because of its amazing heat conductivity -- it's responds stupidly fast to minor changes in heat and it's spreads heat about as evenly as possible in a pan. Slapping something with high thermal density but poor conductivity on top of it sorta defeats the purpose.

I think.

Edit:. Just googled stainless steel's conductivity. Weird.
Worse than cast iron...but they both kinda suck.

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 amIn your opinion, does carbon steel heat more evenly than super-heavy cast iron? And is thinner cast iron more or less even than thick cast iron?
1) Yes.

2) Yeah, seems to. I ended up chucking my lodge.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 amThose pans are mostly copper with a thin layer of stainless steel on the cooking surface....why can't they make the cooking surface thin carbon steel or even (thin, smooth) cast iron? That would be the best of both worlds.
I don't think it's the surface properties of cast iron that makes it useful for cooking -- it's the thermal density. This allows for amazing sears. But the heat conductivity is shit -- thus the ridiculous time to heat-up and the hotspots.
The surface properties are (supposed to be) naturally non-stick, which I think is probably the more important of the two main reasons people use them. The other, of course, being the thermal density.
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am Copper's awesome because of its amazing heat conductivity -- it's responds stupidly fast to minor changes in heat and it's spreads heat about as evenly as possible in a pan. Slapping something with high thermal density but poor conductivity on top of it sorta defeats the purpose.
Actually, I think that's exactly the purpose. Taking a cooking surface with high thermal density and non-stick properties (cast iron or carbon steel), and heating it evenly, even on a cheapo gas range....
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am Edit:. Just googled stainless steel's conductivity. Weird.
Worse than cast iron...but they both kinda suck.
So that's exactly what they're doing. Heating a shitty conductor evenly. Just too bad the cooking surface is stainless steel. Their site says you're not supposed to put salt in a hot pan? How am I supposed to make the best grilled cheese ever without sprinking salt in the pan?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am The surface properties are (supposed to be) naturally non-stick
Well, it allows for a coating of polymerized fat, which is non-stick. But the quality of that surface is largely a function of user OCD.
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 amActually, I think that's exactly the purpose. Taking a cooking surface with high thermal density and non-stick properties (cast iron or carbon steel)
You lose the fast responsiveness and control, though. Which is a huge draw of copper pans. They're great for fussy sauces and shit with eggs in it, etc.

Sounds like you really want an induction stove. Do it.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am The surface properties are (supposed to be) naturally non-stick
Well, it allows for a coating of polymerized fat, which is non-stick. But the quality of that surface is largely a function of user OCD.
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 amActually, I think that's exactly the purpose. Taking a cooking surface with high thermal density and non-stick properties (cast iron or carbon steel)
You lose the fast responsiveness and control, though. Which is a huge draw of copper pans. They're great for fussy sauces and shit with eggs in it, etc.

Sounds like you really want an induction stove. Do it.
Responsiveness would be nice, but I don't miss it all that often. I could always acquire one copper pan for when I need it.

If an induction cooktop had elements large enough to heat an entire 11 inch cooking surface and also had one gas burner for the miscellaneous non-compatible stuff I have, I'd do it.

The best of all worlds would be to have copper pans for responsiveness and well seasoned carbon-steel-inside-copper pans for everything else. Since that doesn't exist, I'm gonna try that aluminum plate thing.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pmSince that doesn't exist, I'm gonna try that aluminum plate thing.
I'll do the flour test on both my de buyer and the thinner-walled cast iron pan.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm
Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pmSince that doesn't exist, I'm gonna try that aluminum plate thing.
I'll do the flour test on both my de buyer and the thinner-walled cast iron pan.
What's the flour test?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Root wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:39 pm
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm
What's the flour test?
Cook an inch's thickness of flour. Hot spots will emerge as burned patches.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 amthermal density
specific heat capacity?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Manveer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 amthermal density
specific heat capacity?
I think I meant volumetric heat capacity. Googling.

Edit:. Yup, you're right.
Last edited by Hanley on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skid

Post by Skid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:04 pm

I've got two solid copper frying pans that are lined with a pure silver coating on the inside (apparently ingesting copper isn't the best for you). They're some of the best on the market, but I find the handles get very hot quickly as well and you need a mitt. I like to use them when I cook, but my wife still prefers the porcelain coated cast iron Le Crueset ones...

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 am

I know nothing about this topic. But I need new cookware.
I have noticed the whole copper trend recently. I currently have crappy generic teflon frypans. Is the whole teflon coating thing now passé?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 am

Ragholmes wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 am Is the whole teflon coating thing now passé?
I use them every day. But they're disposable. I get 1-2 years out of a frying pan. The copper and cast iron pans will outlast my grandkids, I'd guess.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 am

I like ceramic fry pans for egg stuff. I can fry an egg with no oil. Unfortunately, no amount of asking/threatening/physical harm deters the other “adults” in the house from using metal spatulas on them while they use the pan to reheat something. We have a microwave, silicone spatulas and all sorts of other pans. I’m considering getting another one and leaving it downstairs, only to be brought up for Saturday breakfast.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I pretty much use stainless steel clad aluminum (triple ply base from Ikea is just about as good) and normal nonstick. I have a couple of Dutch ovens too, both enamelled and unenamelled cast iron. Mostly use those for bread.

The thickness of cast iron doesn't really do much to diffuse heat properly, that is pretty much a property of the burner. They used a thick block of aluminum and did the flour test in modernist cuisine and it didn't improve things much. You can't out cookware a bad range. Most practical for domestic use is a good modern induction range.

No real point in using copper other than romance tbh.

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pm

I cook on a glass top, which just has electric coils underneath. Talk about not being responsive. You can turn the burner off and then fry an egg.

It does heat my cast iron relatively evenly, however.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:28 am

tersh wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pm I cook on a glass top, which just has electric coils underneath. Talk about not being responsive. You can turn the burner off and then fry an egg.

It does heat my cast iron relatively evenly, however.
But it's real easy to clean, I guess. No place for crumbs to fall. Spills are just on the top surface waiting to be wiped off. . . . That must be how they sold these to people. When I was renting, I always worried that I'd find an apartment that I liked, but that had an electric stove. . . .