The sartorial thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DoctorWho

Re: The sartorial thread

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 am

Beware of the guy built like a refrigerator who says other people are harder. And my pet peeve is wrestling coaches who blame their own shortcomings on kids not being tough enough. 95% is positioning and understanding.

(Italian name x South Philly) + no website + $$$ = great tailoring or a place to get whacked.
I'm treating myself to a garage car lift right now but what the hell. It seems like something a guy should do once in his life, and we'll all be dead a long time.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 am

For any of you fat (or tall) cheapish bastards, DXL has been pretty decent for promotions recently. I've picked up some dress shirts from them online at 50% off, but you have to order $300+ worth of merch to get the $150 off. Their regular prices run about 10-20% higher than elsewhere, so it's not a full 50% off the market price but savings nonetheless.

I'd recommend avoiding the house brand "SYNERGY" as the cutting patterns are pretty lame for dudes with a big neck and long arms. For instance, a 20" neck and 38" sleeve will net you a two person tent.

They do have Brooks Brothers and English Laundry shirts which do fit me pretty well and seem to be patterned for non-Jabba the Hutt bodies. Fabric quality of the Brooks Brothers is good. The English Laundry is decent. The nice thing about the English Laundry shirts is that they play well with a sportscoat as well with no jacket/coat. Good colors and nice, small, but interesting, patterns.

I await @stuffedsuperdud's admonishment.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Ok, I went to Heinz Healey's, had a much better feeling interaction with the sales guy, and ended up biting on 2 Paul Betenly suits. They came out to $430 each, the one pictured is Blue Sharkskin and I also got dark charcoal, which I don't have a picture of. The guy thinks that dropping the back of the collar a bit will get the lines out of the back, and that seems to jive with how it looks when my neck isn't pushing back on the collar. Pants fit real nice. I look real stoned in the last pic.

Thoughts?

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:51 am

@cgeorg Nice fit!!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 am

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:58 am

I started an IT job, which means no more cargo shorts and t-shirts. My wife has been happy with StitchFix, so I signed up. Prices aren't exactly steals, but it's really helpful for someone who doesn't enjoy clothes shopping. It has helped me get some basic options that fit decently.

To supplement, I've been lurking r/frugalmalefashion. Got a pair of allen edmond boots, rag & bone jeans and a couple pairs of j.crew slacks.

I can definitely recommend rag & bone "Fit 2" cut. Stretchy and close fitting without being skinny-jeans esque. I wouldn't pay the $250 retail for them(or most anything), but for $62.50 I wish I had got another pair. Similarly the J.Crew "Bowery slim fit" pants are pretty much spot on.

My pair of Thursday boots are decent as well. Fit is just slightly tight at 1/2 size down from my sneakers. They donated ~100 pairs of boots and shoes to my organization and I heard they were ok quality, so I decided to support them.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 am

Did we ever get a wedding pic of @cgeorg ?

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 am

Cellist wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 am Did we ever get a wedding pic of @cgeorg ?
We did not... until now! My outfit was... ok. Ordered the shirt from CT fairly late in the game and should have gone for a 1/2" sleeve. They were always too long even with fairly regular reaching into my jacket to pull them up. And the suit itself isn't perfect, ended up with a little belt-line boner even with both bottom buttons undone, some lines on the back and chest is eh... Still better than many suits you'll see, but it's not going to make a How To Dress listicle. I also think I tied my best man's bow a bit wide. I ALSO am now the owner of a nice new pair of black AE Park Avenues, as is my BM (I think that's a good wedding gift, right?)

Hoping the shirt will shrink a touch in the wash, and based on how it comes out, I'll probably hit up one of their 4 for 200 or whatever it is sales. Being able to dial in the measurements was pretty nice. I should probably post a fit check here after the wash.

Also generally the wedding was fucking amazing. We did an outdoors park thing, and forecast for the day during the week leading up to it looked shit, high of like 61 and windy. We ended up with a not-very-windy, high 60s sunny day. Almost too sunny, what with not wearing sunglasses for ceremony and pictures. I was in tears of eye pain by the end of the family portrait portion of the day.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:38 am

@cgeorg
Right on, buddy! Clothes are fun and all, and nice clothes are all the funner, but in the end the part that actually matters is not the garments themselves but the adventure they accompanied you on, amirite? /motivational speaker cliches. I'm glad this ended up working out for you, and that it was a good day in general. Wear the new suits and Park Aves in good health, and best wishes to you and your wife!

On a side note, BM's looking like a goddamn pillar of raw masculinity there. I think the term is "walking water park?" The bow tie's on the big side, but def works with the rest of the vibe he's rocking.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:51 am

mgil wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 am For any of you fat (or tall) cheapish bastards, DXL has been pretty decent for promotions recently. I've picked up some dress shirts from them online at 50% off, but you have to order $300+ worth of merch to get the $150 off. Their regular prices run about 10-20% higher than elsewhere, so it's not a full 50% off the market price but savings nonetheless.

I'd recommend avoiding the house brand "SYNERGY" as the cutting patterns are pretty lame for dudes with a big neck and long arms. For instance, a 20" neck and 38" sleeve will net you a two person tent.

They do have Brooks Brothers and English Laundry shirts which do fit me pretty well and seem to be patterned for non-Jabba the Hutt bodies. Fabric quality of the Brooks Brothers is good. The English Laundry is decent. The nice thing about the English Laundry shirts is that they play well with a sportscoat as well with no jacket/coat. Good colors and nice, small, but interesting, patterns.

I await @stuffedsuperdud's admonishment.
When I was going into the office every day I liked Brooks Brothers "Regent" fit. They have been very durable for me, the fabric feels nice, and a couple times a year they'll run a sale where you can get 4 shirts for ~200.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Got the Tyrwhitt fall(?) catalog, and now I want to overdress for a tailgate while telling everyone that will listen what a scam the NCAA is and disavowing my alma mater.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm

https://whitesboots.com/town/perry/

I think this is new for White’s. Me like. Gonna ask if they’d do custom ones with their premium leather options.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm

I don’t have anything constructive to add but I feel like it was a missed opportunity not titling this “The Thread Of Threads”

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm https://whitesboots.com/town/perry/

I think this is new for White’s. Me like. Gonna ask if they’d do custom ones with their premium leather options.
It is.

The dark drown distress is definitely work-booty....but it's an awesome leather. Much more practical on this boot than - say - chromexcel.

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Guys, what are your rules when it comes to choosing a watch to go with a combination of [Navy suit/ white or light blue shirt/ blue tie/ black oxford shoes] for a business formal / professional occasion?

I haven't worn a watch in ages because time is everywhere. But now I want to buy one because a) I like how a watch goes well with a suit, b) I am needed to attend meetings where mobile phones aren't allowed and the to know the time either I jave turn back and look at the wall clock or ask the person sitting next to me. I am homing onto a simple analog dress watch with white dial and black leather straps based on what I have read so far on the subject. But I see that many people here in India wear elaborate chronos and smart watches with their suits. I don't think those combinations go well.

Needless to say, my budget is limited. I am considering a $50 Titan watch: https://www.titan.co.in/product/titan-w ... 2AQAvD_BwE

Any suggestions?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Do you have any good fully stainless options? Those seem to work well for me.

Personally, I wear the same Casio G-Shock I’ve had for almost 20 years.

I do consider getting a Swatch at times, as they have a larger size now that looks fun.

If you’re going for solid comments, you’ll need to spend a lot of money. Most watch nerds know what to look for.

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 am

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 pm Do you have any good fully stainless options? Those seem to work well for me.

Personally, I wear the same Casio G-Shock I’ve had for almost 20 years.

I do consider getting a Swatch at times, as they have a larger size now that looks fun.

If you’re going for solid comments, you’ll need to spend a lot of money. Most watch nerds know what to look for.
I don't like steel watches because I consider them too flashy. I am looking for a minimalist understatement which blends in with the suit without standing out on its own. For the time being I have this $50 - $100 budget, but I can upgrade later.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:09 am

Get something with a sapphire crystal and good replica of a classic design:

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-101#

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/1773929375.html

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 pm

@PuliMorgan
https://dappered.com/2021/06/the-best-a ... s-of-2021/

This thread here might contain something useful to you, including some in the $50-$100 range. In the #menswear universe, the Orient ones are a bit higher than your upper bound, but they do have perhaps the most timeless styles and are generally considered the best bang for your buck, so I would see if you had any flexibility in spending just a bit more to get a lot more. I also prefer a simple face and a leather strap with suits in general though recently I've been wearing a plastic Casio calculator watch as gimmick (the clients I schmooze are scientists).

PuliMorgan

Post by PuliMorgan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 pm @PuliMorgan
https://dappered.com/2021/06/the-best-a ... s-of-2021/

This thread here might contain something useful to you, including some in the $50-$100 range. In the #menswear universe, the Orient ones are a bit higher than your upper bound, but they do have perhaps the most timeless styles and are generally considered the best bang for your buck, so I would see if you had any flexibility in spending just a bit more to get a lot more. I also prefer a simple face and a leather strap with suits in general though recently I've been wearing a plastic Casio calculator watch as gimmick (the clients I schmooze are scientists).
Cellist wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:09 am Get something with a sapphire crystal and good replica of a classic design:

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-101#

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/1773929375.html
Thank you for the suggestions.

I forgot to mention that I have thin wrists and anything over 36 or so mm dia casing might look bulky on me. So I am a bit wary about ordering a watch online. I am planning to visit a few stores nearby (Titan, Timex, Fastrack, Casio etc.) and try out some models.