Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

FredM

Re: Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Post by FredM » Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am

Skander wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 am That said, that's a lot of extra money to make that bar quieter, especially in a world where American barbell exists.
You're also paying for cerakote and black sleeves that don't look like sh** after two workouts. As an owner of a chan bar with black sleeves I'm a little annoyed I didn't wait to purchase until when they apply this technique to Chan 3.0, lol.

The "innovation" seems to be solving a problem only Ohio bars have in the first place. I've owned an Ohio bar, and yeah, the sleeve play sucked. Actually, B&R 2.0 wasn't much better. They're annoyingly loud -- even with tight bumpers on a platform. But the OPB, Chan Bar, and Oly bar I have now are basically dead quiet for deadlifts when I put my Vulcan alphas on. And when dropped from overhead, the Oly and Chan bar make less noise than my Ohio bar did with pulls.

If they figure out the sleeve treatment (at least if it works as well as they claim) on the actual bar so you can get bare steel feeling but all black with good corrosion resistance, I think that's worth $400 honestly. But yeah, a little pricey as is.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu May 13, 2021 1:15 pm

asdf wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm I was inspired by this Jim Schmitz article and concern for my neighbors. I haven't intentionally dropped a snatch, clean, or jerk in over two years. At first, it beat me up. Then I got used to it. Now I lower everything, even in competition. But I'm just an old masters lifter. Carry on.
yeah, My lifts are impressive, but the loose (bearing bar btw) loud bars at my new gym are terrible.
There's the quiet-engineered-elieko platform shown above ....

....then there's another, solid black hard felt-topped material. Loud AF.

psmith

Post by psmith » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 pm

I don't really care about noise per se, but I don't like sleeve slop. Have a Rogue boneyard Ohio in bare steel, love the knurl, dislike the slop. I tried taking it apart, packing it with grease, and putting it back together more or less as per here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 033&page=1

Unsurprisingly, without a real grease seal, that didn't work all that well. It's definitely quieter, but the sleeves still have some wiggle to them, and of course the grease seeps out, mostly on the shaft side. On the other hand, it sure looked like there was room for another shim or even a whole washer in there, which I might try after a trip to the hardware store. We'll see.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:13 am

psmith wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 pm I don't really care about noise per se, but I don't like sleeve slop. Have a Rogue boneyard Ohio in bare steel, love the knurl, dislike the slop. I tried taking it apart, packing it with grease, and putting it back together more or less as per here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 033&page=1

Unsurprisingly, without a real grease seal, that didn't work all that well. It's definitely quieter, but the sleeves still have some wiggle to them, and of course the grease seeps out, mostly on the shaft side. On the other hand, it sure looked like there was room for another shim or even a whole washer in there, which I might try after a trip to the hardware store. We'll see.
I believe Rogue made their sleeves fit somewhat loose to either improve spin (mostly for WL and the 28.5mm bars, I wonder if the Power bars are also on the loose side), or possibly to open toelrances to decrease costs. American Barbell bearing bar, for example, has much tighter fit and subsequent "tighter" feeling spin. Spins fine, just not super loose when unloaded. A big reason I replace my Boneyard bar with the AB was the better sleeve feel, though there is some axial play which annoys me a tiny bit.

FredM

Post by FredM » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:13 am
psmith wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 pm I don't really care about noise per se, but I don't like sleeve slop. Have a Rogue boneyard Ohio in bare steel, love the knurl, dislike the slop. I tried taking it apart, packing it with grease, and putting it back together more or less as per here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 033&page=1

I believe Rogue made their sleeves fit somewhat loose to either improve spin (mostly for WL and the 28.5mm bars, I wonder if the Power bars are also on the loose side), or possibly to open toelrances to decrease costs. American Barbell bearing bar, for example, has much tighter fit and subsequent "tighter" feeling spin. Spins fine, just not super loose when unloaded. A big reason I replace my Boneyard bar with the AB was the better sleeve feel, though there is some axial play which annoys me a tiny bit.

The 20kg ohio power bar is a huge improvement over the Ohio (also had the boneyard bare steel). The Chan bar is better as well but not as tight/quiet as the power bar. And the Chan bar doesn't spin anywhere near as well as the Ohio without plates -- as online reviews have pointed out it's built much more like a power bar than an oly bar actually.

So I think you're right on. Honestly I also think it's marketing to unknowledgeable cross-fitters. Spinning well without plates isn't a practical feature but I think there are a lot of people that judge the bar based off that.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am

FredM wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am
So I think you're right on. Honestly I also think it's marketing to unknowledgeable cross-fitters. Spinning well without plates isn't a practical feature but I think there are a lot of people that judge the bar based off that.

Rogue American was 1st (last?) place.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am

Currently using an American Barbell SS Oly comp bar (and also the AB Stainless Elite power bar) with Eleiko XF plates ("crumb bumpers") and the combo is shockingly quiet. I dig it.

psmith

Post by psmith » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm

thejosef wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am Currently using an American Barbell SS Oly comp bar (and also the AB Stainless Elite power bar) with Eleiko XF plates ("crumb bumpers") and the combo is shockingly quiet. I dig it.
Do you happen to know how Ivanko compares to AB for sleeve play?

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:57 pm

psmith wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm
thejosef wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am Currently using an American Barbell SS Oly comp bar (and also the AB Stainless Elite power bar) with Eleiko XF plates ("crumb bumpers") and the combo is shockingly quiet. I dig it.
Do you happen to know how Ivanko compares to AB for sleeve play?
Both are pretty high up there as far as quality construction. I'd probably give the slight edge to Ivanko though.. but Ivanko's prices are Insane. I once owned an Ivanko OBS-20kg (stainless shaft and sleeves 28mm Olympic bar). It was the most beautiful bar I've ever seen. I sold it cuz I'm an idiot.

psmith

Post by psmith » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am

thejosef wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:57 pm
Both are pretty high up there as far as quality construction. I'd probably give the slight edge to Ivanko though.. but Ivanko's prices are Insane. I once owned an Ivanko OBS-20kg (stainless shaft and sleeves 28mm Olympic bar). It was the most beautiful bar I've ever seen. I sold it cuz I'm an idiot.
Yeah, I like how the guy is obviously a total nerd about barbell construction and I love the "raw" stainless finish with the heat treat scaling left on (I don't think that's still officially offered, but I gotta imagine you could get it if you called and asked, see pics https://www.ironcompany.com/ivanko-raw- ... ifting-bar) but it sure doesn't come cheap.