Australians

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Sumo

Re: Australians

Post by Sumo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:46 pm

CoolColJ wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:25 pm
Sumo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:42 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 pm
Sumo wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm Mine updated to $28 once I put the order through proper, but it's done. October hurry the f up please!! - $378 for a yoke-bar clone, hell yeah. Verve is starting to give me hope for decent and well priced equipment down under.
WTF their site quoted me $118 delivery, and a $399 price to Sydney, so $577 total!

yeah I'm not spending that much on a SSB
I bought it on pre-order hence the much cheaper price at $378. Could you have it delivered to a friend or family member in a different area of Syd that would make it cheaper? delivery for me in Sydney was $58 and I'm just outside Penrith.

Ok the actual shipping in the checkout screen was much cheaper

$399.00
Shipping $69.99
Total Including $42.64 in taxes AUD $468.99

I really need an SSB now, so can't wait till end of January till these become available
Plus the Iron Edge bar is much light at 14.5kg, handy as I need to pack up and move my bar quite a bit, and the lighter empty bar is handy for warming up my single leg exercises

But I may end up getting the Verve bar as well later on, and compare them.
The Verve bar, if it's anything like the EliteFTS one may have too wide a handle/pad spacing though...

The padding on the Verve bar is monstrously thick in all directions, it takes up so much room that it feels like someone is giving you a nice bear hug from behind. I'm 5'5 and weigh in under 70kg, and I have absolutely no issues with the handles spacing :)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm

Sumo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:46 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:25 pm
Sumo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:42 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 pm
Sumo wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm Mine updated to $28 once I put the order through proper, but it's done. October hurry the f up please!! - $378 for a yoke-bar clone, hell yeah. Verve is starting to give me hope for decent and well priced equipment down under.
WTF their site quoted me $118 delivery, and a $399 price to Sydney, so $577 total!

yeah I'm not spending that much on a SSB
I bought it on pre-order hence the much cheaper price at $378. Could you have it delivered to a friend or family member in a different area of Syd that would make it cheaper? delivery for me in Sydney was $58 and I'm just outside Penrith.

Ok the actual shipping in the checkout screen was much cheaper

$399.00
Shipping $69.99
Total Including $42.64 in taxes AUD $468.99

I really need an SSB now, so can't wait till end of January till these become available
Plus the Iron Edge bar is much light at 14.5kg, handy as I need to pack up and move my bar quite a bit, and the lighter empty bar is handy for warming up my single leg exercises

But I may end up getting the Verve bar as well later on, and compare them.
The Verve bar, if it's anything like the EliteFTS one may have too wide a handle/pad spacing though...

The padding on the Verve bar is monstrously thick in all directions, it takes up so much room that it feels like someone is giving you a nice bear hug from behind. I'm 5'5 and weigh in under 70kg, and I have absolutely no issues with the handles spacing :)
thanks

do you have issues getting off and onto the rack? It looks like a tight squeeze due to the angled and curved bar bend,
vs the right angle bend of the ATX and Iron Edge style bars

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:25 am

Got my Iron Edge bar today - and put it straight to work

the packaging could have been a lot better... I was expecting a box with foam or something, but no it was just a single layer of bubble wrap and cardboard taped over that, tightly hugging the whole bar!
At the very least a few more layers of bubble wrap would have helped...

One corner of the camber was smacked and exposed through the cardboard and some powdercoating chipped off there....

The powder coating was a bit spotty looking on one side, and the zinc coated sleeves don't look that great, and pretty much started to scrap off once the plates starting moving on it.
There is no spacer between camber and sleeve, so I put in a thick rubber band there and it adds a few mm of space for peace of mind.

The padding felt OK, but a bit jiggly and and the handle width pressed down on where my traps attach to the bone, so I have red marks there.
About in line with my outer pecs... thicker pads would have made the weight a bit more on the meat of my traps.
Had a bit of slight left shoulder pain as a result, but it felt better as the workout wore on.
Hands free mode was ok, but not that stable for me, and the bar swayed a bit on split squats due to the padding not hugging you much.

So I think the Verve bar is way better here.
Will be getting the Verve bar for sure now, so keep an eye on Gumtree if you want a pre used Iron Edge SSB for a bit cheaper :)

a montage of some of the things I did today

Iron Edge SSB is sure harder than high bar squats, last week after an hour of BBall and jumps, I did 110kg x6 @RPE9 bare foot
Today, in the same conditions, SSB 110kg x3 and back was rounding pretty bad on third rep, 4th might have been iffy
Although easier than front squats, doubt I can FS 110kg x3 right now, I think that's my 1RM

The SSB was harder, but way more comfortable and fun than high bar squats.
Didn't get that scary heavy feeling of the weight on me was I ramped up the weights like with a straight bar
Also less stress on the knees somehow, even though I was way more upright, and with the quads activated fairly well....
Brutal on the whole back though, even the posterior chain.

The handles are quite long, I had to cue my self to flare my elbows to avoid smacking them into my knees - next time i I will flare and pull on the handles to tighten up my back/lats

IE SSB felt great on GMs, none of that scary strain on the lower back, just the good stuff.
very nice on calf raises and lateral squats. - I mean try and load 60kg on a dumbbell for single leg calf raises!
Wobbly on split squats as you can see in the video above

SSB seems to improve my squat form - when I did ATG cossack squats at the end it was so easy and form was spot on compared to last week

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:40 pm

CoolColJ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm
thanks

do you have issues getting off and onto the rack? It looks like a tight squeeze due to the angled and curved bar bend,
If you mean on and off when walking it out/in during squats, no. The only issue you might find is when you put the bar in the rack to use it, it's a touch unwieldy due to it's weight. This bar weighs 27kg and that extra 7 kilos makes a difference when you're trying to move it around.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Sumo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:40 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm
thanks

If you mean on and off when walking it out/in during squats, no. The only issue you might find is when you put the bar in the rack to use it, it's a touch unwieldy due to it's weight. This bar weighs 27kg and that extra 7 kilos makes a difference when you're trying to move it around.
yeah when walking in and out of the rack. I'm getting some new J hooks with full plastic coverage and that should help.

The 15kg weight of the Iron Edge bar was nice, when moving it around, felt like a standard non olympic bar.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Did my second session with the Iron Edge bar and the pads still hurts on my left shoulder as it presses down on the AC joint....
Still feels unsteady and not hugging enough on hands free mode

----

So definitely getting the Verve SSB now

Total price is actually $407.87 now with the Launch10 discount code and the cheapest shipping option - nice

Just gotta make do with the IE SSB till end of January

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Heads up for anyone looking to buy the verve ssb or flat bench.

Until 29feb “leapyear20” for 20% off, just bought the ssb $359 shipped to Sydney.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 am

Tomektomek wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm Heads up for anyone looking to buy the verve ssb or flat bench.

Until 29feb “leapyear20” for 20% off, just bought the ssb $359 shipped to Sydney.
Might cancel my order and redo it... yes still waiting since I preordered in January.....

edit - done!

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm

So after a month and half of using the Iron Edge SSB - I still don't like it that much. The pads while thick enough feel unsteady.
When I unrack the bar and walk out, I have to stand there for a bit to stabilize.
Plus it looks and feels cheap... with some rough bits on the bar that wrecks my J cups... compared to the smooth chrome on the Verve bar

Could be my imagination, but the bar looks slightly curved downwards now...

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm

CoolColJ wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 am
Tomektomek wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm Heads up for anyone looking to buy the verve ssb or flat bench.

Might cancel my order and redo it... yes still waiting since I preordered in January.....

edit - done!
Have you been given an indication as to when expected delivery is or an update?

I’ve purchased it and nothing?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Tomektomek wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 am

edit - done!
Have you been given an indication as to when expected delivery is or an update?

I’ve purchased it and nothing?

Website says Mid march, but then again, when I preordered mine it was late Jan, then early Feb, then Late Feb, early march into mid March :lol:
Maybe they have been selling out the supply as each shipment comes in, or shipping is just delayed

Snofus

Post by Snofus » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm

Wow, so much information in the thread.
I am trying to make a purchasing decision between a rogue rack and Alphafit rack. Wondering if anyone has done some research regarding both brands' racks?

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 pm

Snofus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm Wow, so much information in the thread.
I am trying to make a purchasing decision between a rogue rack and Alphafit rack. Wondering if anyone has done some research regarding both brands' racks?
The Rogue stuff seems to be honest quite a bit cheaper. Rogue is a quality brand that stands behind it's stuff. I would go with them.

Snofus

Post by Snofus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:20 am

OCG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 pm
Snofus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm Wow, so much information in the thread.
The Rogue stuff seems to be honest quite a bit cheaper. Rogue is a quality brand that stands behind it's stuff. I would go with them.
Yeah, Rogue is pretty good. The problem with Rogue is that its product range is limited in Australia. Are you familiar with Alphafit? Can its quality justify the higher price?

OCG

Post by OCG » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:42 am

The Alphafit racks have less features (Westside spacing) while also having a very similar construction to the Rogue racks. The only way they could be worth $1000 extra is if they came with blowjobs. There are nicer racks out there than the Rogue, but they all differ significantly in construction and features. In the style they're built in, you won't find better than Rogue.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 pm

I have the Rouge rack and it is fantastic. The Alphafit rack seems way to expensive.

The only other rack I would consider if looking at the Rogue rack is the ATX commercial racks from samsfitness.

Snofus

Post by Snofus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:18 pm

OCG wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:42 am The Alphafit racks have less features (Westside spacing) while also having a very similar construction to the Rogue racks. The only way they could be worth $1000 extra is if they came with blowjobs. There are nicer racks out there than the Rogue, but they all differ significantly in construction and features. In the style they're built in, you won't find better than Rogue.
The customer service of Alphafit told me that their tube is thicker than Rogue's, as they are using 9 gauge steel and they come with different colours :shock: , but I think you are right that they are way too expensive. I am really curious which racks you are referring to in terms of better quality?

Snofus

Post by Snofus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 pm

51M0N wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 pm I have the Rouge rack and it is fantastic. The Alphafit rack seems way to expensive.

The only other rack I would consider if looking at the Rogue rack is the ATX commercial racks from samsfitness.
Good point, mate. I gave a look at ATX racks this morning, and they are pretty cool and priced reasonably. Do you know if ATX's racks are compatible with rogue's attachments?

OCG

Post by OCG » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Uhh Cody likes Legend racks, the Hammer Strength racks are nice. Rogue racks are already overbuilt, thicker steel is just wasting money.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 am

Snofus wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 pm
51M0N wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 pm I have the Rouge rack and it is fantastic. The Alphafit rack seems way to expensive.

Good point, mate. I gave a look at ATX racks this morning, and they are pretty cool and priced reasonably. Do you know if ATX's racks are compatible with rogue's attachments?
They aren't, the ATX rack is slightly wider (80mm vs 75) and the hole size is bigger. The Verve attachments are compatible with Rogue if you are looking for more options for attachments. You don't need thicker or stronger metal than the Rogue, it could happily hold a tank.