How'd your training go?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

cgeorg

Re: How'd your training go?

Post by cgeorg » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:20 am

But did you catch the bar on the bounce?

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:20 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:28 am
OrderInChaos wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:24 pm
Hanley wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Bros, you should do chinups every day.

Here's your week
Monday: 4 sets x amrap (90-120 seconds rest)
Tuesday:
a. amrap
b. 2 minute rest
c. 5 minute density block
Wednesday: Total rep count is 3X whatever your amrap from yesterday was, broken into sets/reps of your choosing
Thurs: Myorep format
Fri: 5 x 25 seconds on / 60-75 seconds rest
Sat: Repeat Tues
Sun: 4-5 variable rep sets to RPE 7-8ish threshold
How much of a meme vs real recommendation is this?

And are they L Sit chins?
Totally real. No kipping bullshit though

If you're able to knock out 25+ chinups/pullups, I'd modify it with weighted work.
Push-ups and sit-ups -

Same scheme but Tuesday the DB is maybe 8-10min?

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

That chin up protocol is pretty good with regards to fatigue. Maybe it's because I'm still not really lifting but I don't feel like complete dogshit at the end of the cycle so...

I like chins a lot because for whatever reason they make me look fucking yoked, and if I do them everyday I look perpetually yoked. Like a Little Musk Ox.

------------

Do you think an immature 27 year old is more mature than a mature 18-21 year old? I keep realizing I'm getting fucking old and broken down, I'm hairy, my facial grows back in a few hours and I have stress lines on my face carved by a decade of worrying about the person I would be. The future has arrived and it goes by the stage name the Present, and will be eventually known as the Artist Formerly Known As The Present: The Past. Stuck in those murky waters of recollection, trying to hone in on who I thought I would be in the future in the present with tattered fragments of anxieties and half dreams of wasted youth.

I'm the only 26 almost 27 almost 30 year old who lives with his mom and dad still. I cannot fucking believe it. People have lived entire lifetimes, enough content to have *died* and still have it tied up with a knot and bow as a present to the void in the whole span of 18-27. What does that all mean man? That I'm not all that intelligent or emotionally, spiritually, physically, lyrically or sexually equipped to buck on the bronco called life?

It all feels so stunted. Doing things my "friends" where doing 5 years ago. Everyone is living and dying, me, something turned the lights out. Vacant beach side property in a prime location: a biological organism not yet scarred by the entropic march of this infernal universe, unused, not even as a speculative commodity.

Maybe I should stop writing and go outside, but when I go outside, all I find I want to do is write bad prose about how I went outside. Worse prose than this now!

Like I'm not a grown ass man at 27, I'm a kid who deadlifts 445lbs. I'm still in middle school.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:11 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:20 pm
Hanley wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:28 am
OrderInChaos wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:24 pm
Hanley wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Bros, you should do chinups every day.

Here's your week
Monday: 4 sets x amrap (90-120 seconds rest)
Tuesday:
a. amrap
b. 2 minute rest
c. 5 minute density block
Wednesday: Total rep count is 3X whatever your amrap from yesterday was, broken into sets/reps of your choosing
Thurs: Myorep format
Fri: 5 x 25 seconds on / 60-75 seconds rest
Sat: Repeat Tues
Sun: 4-5 variable rep sets to RPE 7-8ish threshold
How much of a meme vs real recommendation is this?

And are they L Sit chins?
Totally real. No kipping bullshit though

If you're able to knock out 25+ chinups/pullups, I'd modify it with weighted work.
Push-ups and sit-ups -

Same scheme but Tuesday the DB is maybe 8-10min?
Eh, dunno. Haven't tried it.

I regard chins as a first tier movement with regards to strength & hypertrophy.

Push ups & situps...not so much.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm That chin up protocol is pretty good with regards to fatigue. Maybe it's because I'm still not really lifting but I don't feel like complete dogshit at the end of the cycle so...

I like chins a lot because for whatever reason they make me look fucking yoked, and if I do them everyday I look perpetually yoked. Like a Little Musk Ox.

------------

Do you think an immature 27 year old is more mature than a mature 18-21 year old? I keep realizing I'm getting fucking old and broken down, I'm hairy, my facial grows back in a few hours and I have stress lines on my face carved by a decade of worrying about the person I would be. The future has arrived and it goes by the stage name the Present, and will be eventually known as the Artist Formerly Known As The Present: The Past. Stuck in those murky waters of recollection, trying to hone in on who I thought I would be in the future in the present with tattered fragments of anxieties and half dreams of wasted youth.

I'm the only 26 almost 27 almost 30 year old who lives with his mom and dad still. I cannot fucking believe it. People have lived entire lifetimes, enough content to have *died* and still have it tied up with a knot and bow as a present to the void in the whole span of 18-27. What does that all mean man? That I'm not all that intelligent or emotionally, spiritually, physically, lyrically or sexually equipped to buck on the bronco called life?

It all feels so stunted. Doing things my "friends" where doing 5 years ago. Everyone is living and dying, me, something turned the lights out. Vacant beach side property in a prime location: a biological organism not yet scarred by the entropic march of this infernal universe, unused, not even as a speculative commodity.

Maybe I should stop writing and go outside, but when I go outside, all I find I want to do is write bad prose about how I went outside. Worse prose than this now!

Like I'm not a grown ass man at 27, I'm a kid who deadlifts 445lbs. I'm still in middle school.
You should start giving ZERO FUCKS about how others live their lives and focus on being happier yourself.

Life is extremely brief and fragile. Use your time wisely (hint: worrying about other people’s supposed accomplishments is not wise).

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:21 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm That chin up protocol is pretty good with regards to fatigue. Maybe it's because I'm still not really lifting but I don't feel like complete dogshit at the end of the cycle so...

------------

This is like a combo of Cowboy Bebop Kim and Childish Gambino prose. Don't you live in a pretty fucked housing crisis area? When your options are live at home or live with 2-5 other adults getting economically fucked and then their cars broken into once a week, it's not really a huge difference in adulthood.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm
It all feels so stunted. Doing things my "friends" where doing 5 years ago
This is a completely meaningless measurement. Life isn't a race. My wife went to grad school with a guy who was in his 40s. Didn't go to college initially. Pissed his life away on drugs. Decided in his 30s to do something about it. Went to community college. Went to college. Got into an MIT PhD program. Makes unholy amounts of money at a FAANG company now.

It doesn't fucking matter when you start. You just have to start. The past is for absolute suckers. Nobody successful lives there.

On topic...

My training is going surprisingly well. I "PR"ed press with 145@9 (strict PR) at 15 lbs less bw. Then I got greedy and screwed my bicep again but instead of getting depressed I just switched to bench focus. 5 weeks later, now my e1rm is 10 lbs away from PR territory with 10 lbs less bw. 230@8.5 today. 220 almost flattened me when I started. Felt so good.

I've also finally figured out how to train loaded spine movements regularly and productively again with my back arthritis and disc bulge. Did some 225 beltless SSB Box squat (14" box, 2+ in below parallel) singles @6 today and they felt great. Added low bar back in a few weeks ago and hoping to get 3 plates on the bar again in a month or two. Can also carry my 40 lb son in the backpack regularly again without torching my back for days after.

Basically gave up deadlifting. Do hip thrusts, back extensions and various hip hinge movements instead (RDL and good morning variations). Not sure I'll ever go back.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:19 pm

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm I've also finally figured out how to train loaded spine movements regularly and productively again with my back arthritis and disc bulge.
How?
FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm Basically gave up deadlifting. Do hip thrusts, back extensions and various hip hinge movements instead (RDL and good morning variations). Not sure I'll ever go back.
Yes. Me squatting versus not squatting is a different person.
If I couldn’t squat, I just wouldn’t lift weights at all. Plenty of BW shit to do. On the other hand, me not deadlifting is nearly the exact person, just sans being beat to shit. I don’t know in what capacity I’ll ever DL in again, if I ever do.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:21 pm

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm
It doesn't fucking matter when you start. You just have to start. The past is for absolute suckers. Nobody successful lives there.

On topic...

My training is going surprisingly well. I "PR"ed press with 145@9 (strict PR) at 15 lbs less bw. Then I got greedy and screwed my bicep again but instead of getting depressed I just switched to bench focus. 5 weeks later, now my e1rm is 10 lbs away from PR territory with 10 lbs less bw. 230@8.5 today. 220 almost flattened me when I started. Felt so good.

I've also finally figured out how to train loaded spine movements regularly and productively again with my back arthritis and disc bulge. Did some 225 beltless SSB Box squat (14" box, 2+ in below parallel) singles @6 today and they felt great. Added low bar back in a few weeks ago and hoping to get 3 plates on the bar again in a month or two. Can also carry my 40 lb son in the backpack regularly again without torching my back for days after.
I left the important part in your "Off topic" response, cuz I like it. Strangely, I recall some comments about lifting beltless at least part of the time being good for the back and maybe benficial for things like being able to carry your kid or a sack of potatoes without issue.... there were some dericive takes on that. Huh.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:39 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:19 pm
FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm I've also finally figured out how to train loaded spine movements regularly and productively again with my back arthritis and disc bulge.
How?
FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm Basically gave up deadlifting. Do hip thrusts, back extensions and various hip hinge movements instead (RDL and good morning variations). Not sure I'll ever go back.
If I couldn’t squat, I just wouldn’t lift weights at all. Plenty of BW shit to do. On the other hand, me not deadlifting is nearly the exact person, just sans being beat to shit. I don’t know in what capacity I’ll ever DL in again, if I ever do.
Forgive me if you already brought this up.
But have you tried Trap Bar deadlifts with slightly raised handles?

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:55 pm

hector wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:39 pm
How?
Forgive me if you already brought this up.
I’ve literally never done a single rep of a deadlift other than conventional. Not for any reason, just a very rigid creature of habit. Now that I’m not DLing at all (other than RDLs), I’m definitely more interested in trying new things, but if anything I’d want low handles or a deficit, because I’d probably use the movement in place of, and not in addition to, squats for a week or two, just for kicks.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:01 pm

@DCR try sumo.

I had back fuckery issues (SI area) and did lots of conventional variations,.playing with blocks, loading, etc.

Switching to sumo got ride of that.

Recently cut out low bar as even easy volume was causing issues.

I've had several of the same tweaks this year...did light SLDL the other day and now my lower back is off again.

I'll be sticking with sumo for pulls. Maybe a little bit of SLDL or RDL after.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:22 pm

KOTJ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:01 pm @DCR try sumo.

I had back fuckery issues (SI area) and did lots of conventional variations,.playing with blocks, loading, etc.

Switching to sumo got ride of that.

Recently cut out low bar as even easy volume was causing issues.

I've had several of the same tweaks this year...did light SLDL the other day and now my lower back is off again.

I'll be sticking with sumo for pulls. Maybe a little bit of SLDL or RDL after.
I’ll probably play with it for fun. To clarify, although conventional DLing beats the fuck out of me and I don’t miss them at all, I didn’t ditch them for any injury related reason. The issue was that I began spending half my time out of state, and when away only have access to a commercial gym where DLing is nearly impossible. I could DL in blocks while home, but the juice really isn’t worth the squeeze.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:45 pm

How?
Well first I had to straighten my spine. You can find out how I did that in various other topics/posts. Once I figured that out I still needed to progressively overload my spine a lot more... progressively. Just because I could squat 265x5 after not loading my spine with heavy weights doesn't mean I should. I've also accepted I have less tolerance for spinal loading than the average person my age. Possibly because I have arthritis and a bulging disc. Possibly because I'm crazy. Doesn't really matter -- if I don't manage the load like a non-idiot my back will feel like crap for days or longer. It's not significant pain. But it feels like there's a baseball about to explode my lower spine anytime I bend over the wrong way. The chronic discomfort makes me a noticeably depressed, angry, etc. So I swallowed my pride and did an 8 week LP. The first 4 weeks I was deadlifting one day and box squatting with an SSB the other. The next 4 I decided to just squat both days because deadlifting anything over 255 still felt off. Now I give my spine a break 1 out of the 3 days I workout. So my days look like (on lower):

Monday: Low bar 5x5, single leg RDL
Wed: Hip thrust 5x10, dumbbell RDL
Friday: SSB Box Squat, single leg back extension

I'll also stick in some BSS drop sets (usually Monday) that just look like 55x10, 35x10, BWx10 (no rest).

I started the SSB box squats with 175 lbs 5x3 and worked them up to 205 5x3 by just slowly working up in doubles then triples with +5/10 lbs /wk. LPed the hip thrusts from 185 to 255 and Low Bar from 185 to 215 so far.

I'll also continue to reset/deload every 4-5 weeks. Switching from pulling to lowbar was already doing that. Next week I'll cut the SSB box squats back to 195 and plan to work up to 225 triples istead of singles.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:21 pm Strangely, I recall some comments about lifting beltless at least part of the time being good for the back and maybe benficial for things like being able to carry your kid or a sack of potatoes without issue.... there were some dericive takes on that. Huh.
I was irrationally against it after BBM programming over-fatigued the sh** out of my lower back. A few months ago I was doing everythig with a belt because anything beltless felt like crap. I had serious confidence issues. Even squatting 185 felt dangerous. I decided that was pretty stupid and started doing everything beltless for a while until I wasn't afraid of my spine exploding without a belt. I've decided to stick with it. 1) I freaking love SSB box squats so Imma do them forever I think. 2) I've seen noticeable benefits. Mainly I think it's just more specific to life than wearing a belt so normal activities in life see carryover. But also I think it's better for core stability (maybe not strength).
hector wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:39 pm Forgive me if you already brought this up.
Not sure if this was also directed at me but yes. Not long enough to test if they'd allow me to pull longer term and more consistently, but I've done a few weeks of them without issue. I just don't see the point. I don't see the point of sumo either. Not because they're not great movements but because I no longer really see the benefit of pulling from the floor every week. It's never really helped me in life. I'm no longer convinced it helps me gain strength faster (the opposite). Oly lifters seem to be brutally strong without every doing it. I took an Oly lifting class and the coach said "you build strength with squats and express it with these lifts" (paraphrasing). As a recovering SS/BBM acolyte I was like w/e dude. You're just a ranked Masters lifter and I'm a freaking expert who's read some forum posts of fat guys -- obviously I know better. And I kept deadlifting. I finally see what he meant now. I know there are plenty of people that get stronger with deadlifting than they would otherwise and can do it reguarly without issue. I'm not one of those people. I'm pretty confident I can squat 500 at <190 lbs in the next 2 years without ever pulling from the floor so I figure -- why not just do that?

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:08 am

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:45 pm Once I figured that out I still needed to progressively overload my spine a lot more... progressively. Just because I could squat 265x5 after not loading my spine with heavy weights doesn't mean I should. … Now I give my spine a break 1 out of the 3 days I workout.

I started the SSB box squats with 175 lbs 5x3 and worked them up to 205 5x3 by just slowly working up in doubles then triples with +5/10 lbs /wk. LPed the hip thrusts from 185 to 255 and Low Bar from 185 to 215 so far. …
This is all good stuff that essentially translates to: patience. Hope it continues going in a positive direction toward that 500 lb squat. I have sorely lacked patience in this particular endeavor, despite exhibiting it in nearly every other context in life. It’s really amazing.
I've seen noticeable benefits. Mainly I think it's just more specific to life than wearing a belt so normal activities in life see carryover. But also I think it's better for core stability (maybe not strength).
I have never understood the use of a belt for anyone who isn’t interested in competing.
I just don't see the point. I don't see the point of sumo either. Not because they're not great movements but because I no longer really see the benefit of pulling from the floor every week.
Precisely where I’m at. I do appreciate the suggestions above and am going to give them a go for fun, but that’s all - for fun. I just don’t see the purpose of pulling from the floor in my training, and certainly not from the arbitrary height of the plates versus my physique. (I always will have a soft spot for deficit DLs, though.)

FredM

Post by FredM » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:39 am

DCR wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:08 am
This is all good stuff that essentially translates to: patience. Hope it continues going in a positive direction toward that 500 lb squat. I have sorely lacked patience in this particular endeavor, despite exhibiting it in nearly every other context in life. It’s really amazing.
Yes. It was pretty hard for me. I’m not patient at all generally. I am honest to a fault though so it’s kind of embarrassing how long it took me to be honest with myself. Namely, I’d spent over 3 years rushing for gainzzz and 99% of them came in 3 6-10 week cycles. So what the fuzz was I rushing for???

Also had to relearn goals are for suckers. Systems are for winners. I don’t have a real 500 lb squat goal. I am going to continuously try to increase my squats though because it’s fun and I’m good at it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:45 am

Very late to the off topic Muffin party but...
EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm Do you think an immature 27 year old is more mature than a mature 18-21 year old?
Try being an immature 35 year old!
EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm I'm the only 26 almost 27 almost 30 year old who lives with his mom and dad still. I cannot fucking believe it.
Bruh back in school I was friends with a guy who lived with his mom/grandparents (and I believe still does) because it seemed his entire plan was to just take over their house when they moved away and or died. I know at least one other dude who I'd be willing to put down cold cash is still living with his parents. This was all long before the crazy inflation housing explosion thing.

I think you've also held a steady job longer than either of the people I'm talking about too so...

Training is... not awesome, unless splitting firewood and (at least about to be) building a deck is training.

James

Post by James » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:51 am

Google Music is conspiring against me. I hit shuffle liked songs today and it turned into a playlist entirely of blues.

Which would be fine most of the time but today was 1@7,8,9 for both squat and bench. Albert King is probably not the best hype music.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 am

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:45 am Training is... not awesome, unless splitting firewood and (at least about to be) building a deck is training.
It is as long as you do it in the snow in a baller bomber jacket.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:53 am

brkriete wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 am
mouse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:45 am Training is... not awesome, unless splitting firewood and (at least about to be) building a deck is training.
It is as long as you do it in the snow in a baller bomber jacket.
I mean it was the hottest day of Sept (so far) at like 85 so it has to count for something...

Edit: wait, Rocky 4 reference clicked too late