How'd your training go?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

EggMcMuffin

Re: How'd your training go?

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 am

I'm taking the first class in the Physics sequence (Mechanics, calculus based) and I find it funny how the feeling of dread knowing I'm way, way too dumb for this shit (no joke, two weeks in and I'm already getting bodied) is like the exact sensation that heavy low bar squatting inspires in me. It's the same feeling.

You unrack and you *know* you have fucked up, fucked up more than you have every done in your dumb life and you just good morning that shit back up for a set of 5. Unfortunately life is nowhere near as easy as lifting weights is. With the daily whinge in...

I lost all my low bar squat strength lol. I struggled with 135lbs 5x5 on Saturday night and I wasn't even tired or anything. FUCK. I feel like squatting is the "thing" that makes you strong though, I have never felt as strong in day to day life as when I was routinely squatting 290 for 4x6.

I think despite failing calculus 1 six times, Rip did have a point about squatting. So did all those over old bloatlords, I guess.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 am I'm taking the first class in the Physics sequence (Mechanics, calculus based) and I find it funny how the feeling of dread knowing I'm way, way too dumb for this shit (no joke, two weeks in and I'm already getting bodied) is like the exact sensation that heavy low bar squatting inspires in me. It's the same feeling.

You unrack and you *know* you have fucked up, fucked up more than you have every done in your dumb life and you just good morning that shit back up for a set of 5. Unfortunately life is nowhere near as easy as lifting weights is. With the daily whinge in...

I lost all my low bar squat strength lol. I struggled with 135lbs 5x5 on Saturday night and I wasn't even tired or anything. FUCK. I feel like squatting is the "thing" that makes you strong though, I have never felt as strong in day to day life as when I was routinely squatting 290 for 4x6.

I think despite failing calculus 1 six times, Rip did have a point about squatting. So did all those over old bloatlords, I guess.
If you were already knowledgeable about the subject, you wouldn't need take it. First few weeks of physics for us was statics and I had a hard time at first too because I didn't know you were supposed to take the actual Statics class as a pre-req. I really didn't grasp the class becuse our professor went light speed and I was trying to keep up, but reading the chapters the night before was a huge boost. I even read the whole book for Lent in 2015 when I took Physics II and it was a tremendous help.

The purpose of taking the class is to learn the material a lot in the same way as lifting. You do a lot of submax work for a long period of time (doing your homework, reading the next day's chapter before bed, paying attention and writing down key note in class, etc.) and then eventually you work up to some new PR (taking the test and passing it). Try watching some youtube videos online and start with easy problems in the back of the book and work yourself up until you can grasp some of the concepts. Khan academy was pretty new in my day and pretty much the only decent youtuber doing physics, but I'm sure there's a lot more reference material out there now.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:21 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 am I'm taking the first class in the Physics sequence (Mechanics, calculus based) and I find it funny how the feeling of dread knowing I'm way, way too dumb for this shit (no joke, two weeks in and I'm already getting bodied) is like the exact sensation that heavy low bar squatting inspires in me. It's the same feeling.

Why are you taking high school physics at 26 years old if you suck at it?

When life gives you lemons, sometimes you gotta just say f*ck these lemons and bail.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:52 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 am

If you were already knowledgeable about the subject, you wouldn't need take it. First few weeks of physics for us was statics and I had a hard time at first too because I didn't know you were supposed to take the actual Statics class as a pre-req. I really didn't grasp the class becuse our professor went light speed and I was trying to keep up, but reading the chapters the night before was a huge boost. I even read the whole book for Lent in 2015 when I took Physics II and it was a tremendous help.

The purpose of taking the class is to learn the material a lot in the same way as lifting. You do a lot of submax work for a long period of time (doing your homework, reading the next day's chapter before bed, paying attention and writing down key note in class, etc.) and then eventually you work up to some new PR (taking the test and passing it). Try watching some youtube videos online and start with easy problems in the back of the book and work yourself up until you can grasp some of the concepts. Khan academy was pretty new in my day and pretty much the only decent youtuber doing physics, but I'm sure there's a lot more reference material out there now.
How badly do you want to do well?
You might have to find study guides or other materials and work several hours a day.
I guarantee someone dumber than you has wanted it before, worked hard enough, and passed this class.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am

Was an old timer in the gym today, passing through. Told me he benched 413 at 60 years old a few years back, and I believed him. Took an interest in my squats and was insistent that I look up, which I hadn’t done in years and have understood to be verboten since like 2002. (I generally look straight ahead.) Figured I’d already hit my single, lemme humor the suggestion on the way up (I really do need to watch for hip shift on the way down). Hot damn, it… felt great. Instantly cured my usual upper back rounding. Only thing is my knees are unhappy. Huh.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am

DCR wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am Was an old timer in the gym today, passing through. Told me he benched 413 at 60 years old a few years back, and I believed him. Took an interest in my squats and was insistent that I look up, which I hadn’t done in years and have understood to be verboten since like 2002. (I generally look straight ahead.) Figured I’d already hit my single, lemme humor the suggestion on the way up (I really do need to watch for hip shift on the way down). Hot damn, it… felt great. Instantly cured my usual upper back rounding. Only thing is my knees are unhappy. Huh.
You lost me there. Is that an SS thing? The not looking up? Because that's stupid, everyone is different. Some guys should look up, some guys should be more straight ahead, some guys are better looking down somehow. Whatever puts you right positionally and helps the lift.

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:10 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am
DCR wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am Was an old timer in the gym today, passing through. Told me he benched 413 at 60 years old a few years back, and I believed him. Took an interest in my squats and was insistent that I look up, which I hadn’t done in years and have understood to be verboten since like 2002. (I generally look straight ahead.) Figured I’d already hit my single, lemme humor the suggestion on the way up (I really do need to watch for hip shift on the way down). Hot damn, it… felt great. Instantly cured my usual upper back rounding. Only thing is my knees are unhappy. Huh.
You lost me there. Is that an SS thing? The not looking up? Because that's stupid, everyone is different. Some guys should look up, some guys should be more straight ahead, some guys are better looking down somehow. Whatever puts you right positionally and helps the lift.
My favorite SS thread of all time was some dude who squatted 2-3 plates meeting Ed Coan in a gym and posting about how awkward it was to try and be respectful when Ed cued him to look up when he knew that was biomechanically wrong thanks to the physics expressed in the blue book.

Rip replied you don’t tell Ed Coan he’s wrong without ever acknowledging Ed Coan might know what he’s talking about.

Seriously the most beautiful thing I’ve ever read in the internet.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:12 pm

The SS thing is to actively look down, which they ended up taking to extremes because they’re petulant children. But putting them aside, yeah, my understanding for a long time now has been that a neutral neck position (which for high bar or in between generally means about straight ahead), and that looking up is considered bad advice from 1980s high school coaches. It appears that the internet may have misled me. Shocking.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:17 pm

FredM wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:10 pm
My favorite SS thread of all time was some dude who squatted 2-3 plates meeting Ed Coan in a gym and posting about how awkward it was to try and be respectful when Ed cued him to look up when he knew that was biomechanically wrong thanks to the physics expressed in the blue book.

Rip replied you don’t tell Ed Coan he’s wrong without ever acknowledging Ed Coan might know what he’s talking about.

Seriously the most beautiful thing I’ve ever read in the internet.
The best SS thread that there ever was. My second favorite was when Andy Baker said that he was good with Dave Tate’s bench press advice, because he (Andy) doesn’t question people who bench twice what he does. Rip responded, “Yeah,” and it was entirely unclear whether or not he was agreeing.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:39 pm

I'm getting bullied by my Brahmin guido ass boss at my part time retail job because my dumb ass told people I deadlift 445lb and I guess it made him insecure that some weird terminally bitchless dude who doesn't talk outlifts him

Anyway on the subject of #WeLookDown, I find Looking Up To Go Up is not always bad. I realized chin ups wreak way less havoc on my body when I look up to go up.

I was wondering why I keep fucking up my neck and shoulder (doing chins erryday as per @Hanley 's instructions) and as it turns out my natural resting place puts my neck into a really bad position that is fixed by looking up to go up.

So when in doubt, Look Up To Go Up. Simple as.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:39 pm I'm getting bullied by my Brahmin guido ass boss at my part time retail job because my dumb ass told people I deadlift 445lb and I guess it made him insecure that some weird terminally bitchless dude who doesn't talk outlifts him

Anyway on the subject of #WeLookDown, I find Looking Up To Go Up is not always bad. I realized chin ups wreak way less havoc on my body when I look up to go up.

I was wondering why I keep fucking up my neck and shoulder (doing chins erryday as per @Hanley 's instructions) and as it turns out my natural resting place puts my neck into a really bad position that is fixed by looking up to go up.

So when in doubt, Look Up To Go Up. Simple as.
You're a CS student, right?

Sharing this because I've found it helpful to remediate neck and back woes from both sedentary bullshit job life and from stupid Army weekend stuff like the article discusses (too heavy rucks and shit posture):
https://soldiersystems.net/2022/07/18/7 ... -yourself/

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:35 pm

@OrderInChaos yeah, but I also have had life long problems with my neck because I used to play videogames for like 8 hours a day everyday until I was like 18 on a horrible, horrible setup with respect to ergonomics

It's getting worse now because now I just spend like 8+ hours a day sitting down on hard ass seats, shit sucks

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:07 am

Has anyone gotten the Inzer ergopro knee sleeves? I'm trying to figure out how much of my squat renaissance is from the knee sleeves, and how much of it is from figuring out good fixes for my usual technique issues.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:44 am

DCR wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:12 pm
The SS thing is to actively look down, which they ended up taking to extremes because they’re petulant children. But putting them aside, yeah, my understanding for a long time now has been that a neutral neck position (which for high bar or in between generally means about straight ahead), and that looking up is considered bad advice from 1980s high school coaches. It appears that the internet may have misled me. Shocking.
I mean, it's really just a cue. Where you look generally affects upper back positioning. A lot of guys will round over if they look down, some guys need to look up to get the shoulders back and flatten the uppe rback out. It just depends on the person. I tend to have a neutral eye position, maybe slightly down, but if I feel my back being rounded I'll look up to fix it for the session. "It depends" is pretty much always the case.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm

Hanley wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 pm Bros, you should do chinups every day.

Here's your week
Monday: 4 sets x amrap (90-120 seconds rest)
Tuesday:
a. amrap
b. 2 minute rest
c. 5 minute density block
Wednesday: Total rep count is 3X whatever your amrap from yesterday was, broken into sets/reps of your choosing
Thurs: Myorep format
Fri: 5 x 25 seconds on / 60-75 seconds rest
Sat: Repeat Tues
Sun: 4-5 variable rep sets to RPE 7-8ish threshold
If someone were hypothetically weak and only got like 6 pullups on their first couple Monday AMRAPs how would you do the myoreps? Just AMRAP, wait 30s, then do doubles every 30s to failure?

Is there anything specific to the ordering? I need to work both pulling up and pulling in, thinking of doing alternating days of pullups and inverted rows. I'd hit the full 7 workout schedule every 2 weeks for each lift, and they should be very complimentary

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:29 pm

cgeorg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm If someone were hypothetically weak and only got like 6 pullups on their first couple Monday AMRAPs how would you do the myoreps? Just AMRAP, wait 30s, then do doubles every 30s to failure?
Yeah. Just do doubles or singles. If you can't get singles, maybe add some sort of very light band assistance on the follow-on sets.
cgeorg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm Is there anything specific to the ordering? I need to work both pulling up and pulling in, thinking of doing alternating days of pullups and inverted rows. I'd hit the full 7 workout schedule every 2 weeks for each lift, and they should be very complimentary
I just tried to keep stress balanced throughout the week...but you could mess with it. Should work fine for inverted rows.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 am

Hanley wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Allentown wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:14 pm
EggMcMuffin wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:10 pm It is very annoying how small my arms are though. I was curling everyday for a solid 3-4 months earlier in the year and never got anywhere, and BBM programming had doing like 8+ reps of CGBP so the only conclusion is that someone salted my arms so that no biceps would grow.
We should start a "curl every day with no results" club
Bros, you should do chinups every day.

Here's your week
Monday: 4 sets x amrap (90-120 seconds rest)
Tuesday:
a. amrap
b. 2 minute rest
c. 5 minute density block
Wednesday: Total rep count is 3X whatever your amrap from yesterday was, broken into sets/reps of your choosing
Thurs: Myorep format
Fri: 5 x 25 seconds on / 60-75 seconds rest
Sat: Repeat Tues
Sun: 4-5 variable rep sets to RPE 7-8ish threshold
Your original 2 week Montana Method lists chins on all the rest days in the program. Do you think these would work well in conjunction with it?

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:44 pm

Chinning everyday for a month, biceps still the same. Thanks, I hate it.

SS and or lifting weights fucked up my body composition as well, I'm 170lbs but I look fucking FAT. Fuck having a physical body, I want to be a lifeless form

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:44 pm Chinning everyday for a month, biceps still the same. Thanks, I hate it.

SS and or lifting weights fucked up my body composition as well, I'm 170lbs but I look fucking FAT. Fuck having a physical body, I want to be a lifeless form
Why don't you just do curls and extensions ? Chins never really made my arms bigger, and I usually do 200 of them each week. I feel that if you are torso dominant (huge back huge pecs small arms) you need to do a lot of direct arm work. Also, if you're not gaining weight, you're not going to gain much arm size anyways. Are you bulking now ?

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:58 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:44 pm …biceps still the same.

…I'm 170lbs but I look fucking FAT.
Pic before I or anyone else makes presumptuous comments.