How'd your training go?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

brkriete

How'd your training go?

Post by brkriete » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am

I had kind of a crappy session last night - dropped a plate on my foot and the barbell I was using seemed bent - kept on wanting to twist off my back. Still felt good to get some squats and pressing in.

How about you?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: How'd your training go?

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 am

Pretty good. The computer on my Airdyne kept glitching/shutting off, and I spent too much time on Instagram between rounds. But my grip & back felt pretty solid on the RDL, and I'm pretty sure I improved my calorie count on the Airdyne 10% over last time. Overall net win.

Monoides
Location: The one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.

Post by Monoides » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am

Okay. I'm somewhat annoyed that I've not bounced back from the Christmas break so well yet (especially on cardio) and looming immigration meetings/job moves/other shit are a bigger cognitive load than I would like. But my hip doesn't hurt much at all anymore, my elbows don't feel like death anymore, and my knees don't feel like shards of broken glass held together with elastic bands anymore.

I have also successfully lost five pounds and procrastinated on starting a log.

deant

Post by deant » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 am

brkriete wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am I had kind of a crappy session last night - dropped a plate on my foot...
Please tell me that was a small one so only a bruise. I hope you are ok and that your next lifting session is much better.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:52 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 am Pretty good. The computer on my Airdyne kept glitching/shutting off, and I spent too much time on Instagram between rounds. But my grip & back felt pretty solid on the RDL, and I'm pretty sure I improved my calorie count on the Airdyne 10% over last time. Overall net win.
I often find that my grip strength is a pretty good indicator of how I'm feeling in general. Nice work on the Airdyne!
Monoides wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am Okay. I'm somewhat annoyed that I've not bounced back from the Christmas break so well yet (especially on cardio) and looming immigration meetings/job moves/other shit are a bigger cognitive load than I would like. But my hip doesn't hurt much at all anymore, my elbows don't feel like death anymore, and my knees don't feel like shards of broken glass held together with elastic bands anymore.

I have also successfully lost five pounds and procrastinated on starting a log.
Good job dropping a few lbs over the break, not easy. Sounds like a good recovery period for you.
deant wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 am
brkriete wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am I had kind of a crappy session last night - dropped a plate on my foot...
Please tell me that was a small one so only a bruise. I hope you are ok and that your next lifting session is much better.
Bad news is it was a 45. Good news is it was a bumper plate. I forgot all about it until I woke up this morning and was limping around. I'm sure it will be all better in a day or two!

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am

Monoides wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am I have also successfully ... procrastinated on starting a log.
congrats! :)

Yesterday I gave up in the middle of barbell rows because my bar path was so atrocious I was hitting things. Later I went back to do them, but instead of a barbell I used a landmine, and instead of a pre-workout I had some Bell's Winter White.

So, it went pretty well %*)

CtMcBride

Post by CtMcBride » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

Skipped today. And Yesterday. Sleep has been atrocious and work has been busy. It may be Monday before I lift again.

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Destroyed it. Blew 335 4x4 on squats away. Crushed some SGDL and owned some dips. Also currently losing weight and I expect another Front Squat PR tonight.

#winning

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm

What a weird week. Terrible sleep all week. 5 year old whacked his head on some playground equipment Monday and ended up concussed (with vomiting), then both the 5 year old and 3 year old got nasty fevers later this week (with 3 year old hitting 104 F last night). In his fever delirium, the 3 year old woke me up at 2AM last night, urgently demanding that I give him a high-five. It was bizarre and super cute.

But training was great, generally. Bench e1RM up like 15 pounds over the past 10 days.

psmith

Post by psmith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

shin splints/medial tibial stress syndrome/tibial stress fx not going away

at least I might finally close CoC#2 this spring

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:01 pm

On day 2 of week 1 of an Olympic program. I've been doing general fuckery, mostly MM squats, linear progression on bench and random stuff including Oly lifts... For some reason I forget how draining Oly lifting is. This stuff is all 70% or so but it's surprisingly tiring. I also cannot figure out how to keep benching- Oly lifts hit triceps more than we give them credit for. Maybe I need to do bench on off days, but I like concentrated recovery...

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Pretty good. I've been slowly acclimating myself to a 6x per week upper/lower split. I'm slowly adding weight rotating between light/medium/heavy days and so far I've had no DOMS or any nagging pains.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I came home and didn’t have any caffeine because the other night I didn’t get to sleep until 4 AM, so all I wanted to do was lay on my bed. Figured I’d skip my workout. “It’s just my home workout, press and chins. Who cares.” I had dinner and walked the dog and perked up a bit. Went out to the 17 degree garage and did my puny press and played with some Klokovs. Did some slow controlled chins and felt much better about myself. Slept well.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Was ok, went to my wife's 24hr gym with her because I'm still on holiday. There was a mean looking big guy who did a bunch of the same exercises I did, but with 75% of the weight I had used, so that was a nice ego boost

tdood

Post by tdood » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 pm

I’m trying to regain lost ground on my fatbody goals (re lose gained ground?).. whatever. I fatfucked myself over Xmas (like +13lbs), but weighed in at 227 this AM. Bench is feeling Pretty ok, today was a smoke show so I’m psyched to have 2 days rest and check 1@8 on Monday. Went skiing with my 5yo 2x this week so that’s good, but I did eat shit trying to make sure HE didn’t eat shit getting off the chairlift (he aced it).

tdood

Post by tdood » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm

simonrest wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 pm Was ok, went to my wife's 24hr gym with her because I'm still on holiday. There was a mean looking big guy who did a bunch of the same exercises I did, but with 75% of the weight I had used, so that was a nice ego boost
You should bare your teeth at him next time he makes eye contact.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

The run went well, and I am churning through nearly 2kg of food a day and losing weight.

Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Workout felt much better today than it has all week. Work has been fairly stressful (Im a pastor) and Friday is my day off. Very thankful for the sanity the barbell gives. Then I went and stacked fire wood for 6.5 hours. So now I'm pretty sore and exhausted.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Stiff-leg deads, some seated rows and pulldowns, then grip.

I don't have the time and energy to make it through extended seasons, so I've gone to splitting up my work over 5 or 6 days.

Ugh.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am

Good work, people. \o/

Trenning went well today.
Much improved pause on top bench single.
All paused rep rep PR on the bench worksets.

Started the 3rd meso of my squat double progression scheme with another 10lb jump.
All reps were nice and deep, except 1st rep of fourth set, which i still think would have gotten white lights.
But it was not an A by my standard.