Multi-Grip Barbells

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

TheFlush

Re: Multi-Grip Barbells

Post by TheFlush » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am
TheFlush wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:40 am My only real complaint is that it throws the plate math off because it weighs less, coming in about 30 pounds.
I'd just track the plate weight on exercises you use it for. That's what I do with me EZ bar, partly because I don't know what it weighs, but also because it's not transferrable to other bars/places/etc.
I understand that logic. I do that with my short tricep bar.

I am trying to use this in my bench press training and I want to be able to use the same %e1RM as I would with a straight barbell, so I want to know the weight on this bar. Since I workout at home I usually have my laptop with me for logging and have a spreadsheet that does the math for me because it is so hard to just add another 7.5 pounds on each side.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am

Reviving this old ass thread to ask @murphyreedus how his Titan has held up or if his opinion/experience has changed...

Once I'm through the other side of this shoulder repair I've resolved that I prolly don't need to ever really worry about benching heavy (at least for maxes) and that I might benefit from a multigrip bar (think using my log without the lessened ROM) and so I've been eyeballing either the Rogue MG3 or the Titan version. I know I don't want ALL angled grips, but I dig the idea of having the inner angled handles for bis/tris bruh...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:22 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Reviving this old ass thread to ask @murphyreedus how his Titan has held up or if his opinion/experience has changed...
I don't have the Titan multigrip bar anymore and I do zero bench with anything besides dumbbells these days, so I am probably not the guy to ask. I did replace the Titan MG bar with a Black Widow angled Swiss bar which seems much better balanced, and I still have the Titan Swiss bar which is much nicer construction than the Titan MG was. I have some f'ed up parts in my left elbow and shoulder, and all of the Swiss/MG bars I've tried eventually jack that up for flat bench, so I decided to take a long break and stick with dumbbell stuff for bench. I still do OHP with an axle and log press with the log, since those don't seem to piss anything off in the shoulder/elbow.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:22 am
mouse wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Reviving this old ass thread to ask @murphyreedus how his Titan has held up or if his opinion/experience has changed...
I don't have the Titan multigrip bar anymore and I do zero bench with anything besides dumbbells these days, so I am probably not the guy to ask. I did replace the Titan MG bar with a Black Widow angled Swiss bar which seems much better balanced, and I still have the Titan Swiss bar which is much nicer construction than the Titan MG was. I have some f'ed up parts in my left elbow and shoulder, and all of the Swiss/MG bars I've tried eventually jack that up for flat bench, so I decided to take a long break and stick with dumbbell stuff for bench. I still do OHP with an axle and log press with the log, since those don't seem to piss anything off in the shoulder/elbow.
Still helpful though, so thanks

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pm

One of my shoulders is so bad that I can't overhead press with a regular bar. I was using the Black Widow Swiss bar (excellent quality), but you've got to lean back to avoid getting hit on the chin. The American Barbell T-Grip double straight handle bar fixed the problem for me. Handle distances are fine for me. Like everything from AB, very high quality.

https://americanbarbell.com/products/t- ... solid-ends

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:54 pm

ccoyle wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pm One of my shoulders is so bad that I can't overhead press with a regular bar. I was using the Black Widow Swiss bar (excellent quality), but you've got to lean back to avoid getting hit on the chin. The American Barbell T-Grip double straight handle bar fixed the problem for me. Handle distances are fine for me. Like everything from AB, very high quality.

https://americanbarbell.com/products/t- ... solid-ends
That’s pretty cool! Did you get the solid axle or normal sleeve version?

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:24 am

Solid axle. Fine for overhead and bench presses. The sleeves are 53mm, not the standard 55mm, so standard Olympic collars won't work..

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:27 am

Anyone have any experience with cambered multi-grip barbells? I struggle a bit with pec activation with my standard bench press and I really like the idea of an extra few inches of ROM to really hit those muscles.

The Titan one looks solid and I've had a pretty good experience with their SSB so far.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... kAQAvD_BwE

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:48 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:27 am Anyone have any experience with cambered multi-grip barbells? I struggle a bit with pec activation with my standard bench press and I really like the idea of an extra few inches of ROM to really hit those muscles.

The Titan one looks solid and I've had a pretty good experience with their SSB so far.

I'm interested in trying one too, I feel like I need to mix things up a little besides straight bar everything all the time.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:22 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:27 am Anyone have any experience with cambered multi-grip barbells? I struggle a bit with pec activation with my standard bench press and I really like the idea of an extra few inches of ROM to really hit those muscles.

I have the titan angled multigrip bar (no camber) and I would say it was a good deal for the price when I got it (almost a year ago now). It's got some ugly welds and the powdercoat is a little slick but it was cheap. From everything I've seen though (reviews, comments in the home gym group on FB) the cambered one is a lot nicer. Better welds, more of a matte finish on the powdercoat. I saw some people saying they preferred it to the Elite FTS version that's it's based on. Almost picked one up to compare and possibly sell the straight one but I never did. I actually just randomly looked at it on their site last week and I did notice from your link that the price has gone up $20 since then... wouldn't be surprised if it keeps going up based on the way gym equipment is going so might want to buy it now if you're leaning that way.

Actually now that I look the straight one is up $35 since I bought it last December... and their SSB is over $300 now!

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Yeah I noticed the price increase too. Think I'm going to pull the trigger, I've been pretty satisfied with the Titan SSB after a year of heavy use.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:15 pm

I’ve got the elitefts cambered multigrip with the angled handles. I’ve only had it a month or so, but I really enjoy using it. I wasn’t sure if I would like the camber or not, but figured I could do a DIY bench block if I wanted to use it without a camber. So far the camber is not bothersome, and you can feel some extra stretch on the pecs compared to using a standard bar.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Hey if anyone is in the market right now Titan has V2s on scratch and dent for $95...

FredM

Post by FredM » Thu May 19, 2022 6:28 am

Kinda surprised this didn’t come up, but I’m seriously considering it.

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/bar-zee.htm

After a lot of research I concluded what I really wanted was an AB T grip with angled handles and it sucks no one makes it. Turns out someone does!

I don’t have bad shoulder issues pressing — pretty minor ones benching — but starting a year ago OHP constantly strains my left bicep and I don’t seem to have that problem with DBs which I naturally hold at an angle. Hopeful something like this will let me press a lot again as it’s my favorite lift