Renaissance Periodization Diet Template

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Renaissance Periodization Diet Template

Post by Manveer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 am
Manveer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am
TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am
Sumo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 am I think I didn't work my question quite right, how do you know the daily caloric intake if all you track is protein? maybe I'm misunderstanding...
I don’t only track protein. I also track total calories.
How?
Are you guys fucking with me or something?

I use MyFitnessPal. I guess technically I’m “tracking” everything but I only pay attention to total calories and protein.

Also I’m on day two of an ice-storm induced power outage that looks like it will last for three more days and I’m typing this from a chinese buffet and definitely not hitting my targets for the day, so feel free to disregard anything I say.
Not fucking with you. I was genuinely confused.

So, you have the ability to track C/F, but you don't care what those numbers are as long as P is acceptable and total calories are acceptable.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 am

Manveer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am
TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 am
Manveer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am
TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am
Sumo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 am I think I didn't work my question quite right, how do you know the daily caloric intake if all you track is protein? maybe I'm misunderstanding...
I don’t only track protein. I also track total calories.
How?
Are you guys fucking with me or something?

I use MyFitnessPal. I guess technically I’m “tracking” everything but I only pay attention to total calories and protein.

Also I’m on day two of an ice-storm induced power outage that looks like it will last for three more days and I’m typing this from a chinese buffet and definitely not hitting my targets for the day, so feel free to disregard anything I say.
Not fucking with you. I was genuinely confused.

So, you have the ability to track C/F, but you don't care what those numbers are as long as P is acceptable and total calories are acceptable.
Yeah. Those are the only two numbers I have targets for.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm

@TimK same as Manveer, I was genuinley confused how you track.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am I don’t only track protein. I also track total calories.
+1

This is the easiest way.

quark

Post by quark » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 am

TimK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am I don’t only track protein. I also track total calories.
Another way to put it is that for you the mix of carbs and fats isn't important, just the total calories from these.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:59 am

quark wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 am
Another way to put it is that for you the mix of carbs and fats isn't important, just the total calories from these.
Yes... although I’m honestly baffled as to why this seems to be such a hangup for so many people. I thought it was obvious what I meant and as far as I know it’s a very common way to diet among lifters...

perman

Post by perman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:20 am

TimK wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:59 am
quark wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 am
Yes... although I’m honestly baffled as to why this seems to be such a hangup for so many people. I thought it was obvious what I meant and as far as I know it’s a very common way to diet among lifters...
I just wound up there when counting macros imperfectly. Everything I've read about carbs and fat have made me think it doesn't matter much unless you want try to eat very little of one of them.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 am

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:09 pm Maybe I need an RP diet cookbook, because I have no idea how to combine such an unsavory mix of food. Most specifically, I'm stumped by breakfast. Chicken with vegetables and oats in the morning sounds awful. Egg whites are disgusting. Certainly, people have figured out hacks to make these restrictions work better than my unimaginative brain can envision. And maybe everyone just abandons what I would consider a traditional breakfast. I don't know.
I'm in the fat loss 1 phase

Breakfast is 2 scoops of whey and enough pasta to hit the carb requirement into a blender, plus carrot, cucumber and capsicum.

I use whey and maltidextrose in a shaker during training

If I trained mid morning my lunch will be chicken breast, Brown rice, and either salad or steamed veggies.

Late afternoon I'll eat a salad of leaves and tuna plus a banana.

Dinner is a based on what the family is having. It's usually some kind of meat or fish, veggies and/or salad. Someone's it's not a lean meat (lamb, chicken thighs) but I try not to stress about it. Before bed I have a handful of nuts and a shake off casien which I dislike.

It's not easy, and is at times unpleasant, but nothing else has worked so I figure I should try to see it through.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 am

simonrest wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 am It's not easy, and is at times unpleasant, but nothing else has worked so I figure I should try to see it through.
If you can tolerate it, then it seems like it always works.

AlecLeamas

Post by AlecLeamas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

I am on the Fat Loss template since early January. Now entering FL 2.

This is the first time I follow any diet in my life (except a lame attempt at GOMAD while doing SS). I find it quite easy and really appreciate the simple structure of the RP Protocol. However, that is probably due to finding it perfectly ok to eat the same, dry stuff for three meals per day: oats, fried egg whites and a bowl of vegetables (chopped carrots, peppers, cucumber) for breakfast; and then two identical meals of chicken breast, white rice and chopped vegetables. Now on FL 2, the oats and rice will disappear from some meals, and maybe I won't find the diet so easy to follow in a couple of days.

I prepare the chicken breast in a sous vide which makes it juicy and delicious. Also, I kind of like the chopped vegetables, even though my jaw gets a bit tired of all the chewing.

Also, to be perfectly honest - compliance is probably 80-90% (how can you measure?) - the three first meals are measured perfectly, but dinner is more approximate so that I can eat at least part of the family dinner. As the diet allows for some fat in the evening I think it evens out quite well though.

DrHades

Post by DrHades » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am

Sorry for the noob question. But I assume that the different Fat Loss phases consist of lowering the overall caloric intake. Is that right? And by how much do they decrease that? My guess would be from 2300 up to 1800. Or does it go lower that that?

dcw

Post by dcw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 pm

DrHades wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am Sorry for the noob question. But I assume that the different Fat Loss phases consist of lowering the overall caloric intake. Is that right? And by how much do they decrease that? My guess would be from 2300 up to 1800. Or does it go lower that that?
Looking at my templates it breaks down like this:
From Base to Fat Loss 1 - Drop in calories via significant reduction Fat.
From Fat Loss 1 to Fat Loss 2 - Further drop in calories via slight reduction in Carbs.
From Fat Loss 2 to Fat Loss 3 (aka Hell) - Further drop in calories via reduction in Fat (to essentially zero) and slight reduction in Carbs.

The templates provide suggested amounts of each macronutrient in grams for each meal that change with each phase (described above), and don't give calorie recommendations specifically. The increasing calorie deficit between each phases is obviously what is driving weight loss, but what the user is manipulating is grams of certain macronutrients and not calories directly. I hope that makes sense. :?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am

How much time are ya'll spending in Fat Loss 1 before having to drop to Fat Loss 2?

dcw

Post by dcw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:16 pm

damufunman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am How much time are ya'll spending in Fat Loss 1 before having to drop to Fat Loss 2?
I think I spent 3-4 weeks before needing to transition.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm

I've read RP's eBook I got on a sale before, and the template seems like an effective way for disciplined people to succeed without room to screw it up by overthinking. The idea of purely macro-tizing seems like it could be useful for me in my more neurotic dieting moments, instead of having to plan a week's food out highly precisely... "needs 50g C more with dinner tonight, eats xxg+ of rice/potato/fruit". It sounds like the way @Wilhelm eats like a machine, choosing food almost solely for its fuel value (you're an inspiration bro), rather than convenience or what traditionally is served together.

A question about some of the diets I've seen ITT as samples of what people implemented during FL1. If 80% of your success is total calories, and the next 10% is macros spread, and everything else is nearly trivial there outside of extreme populations (from the RP priorities list), why the emphasis on timing carbs/simple sugars, whey, and only having certain carb foods on high-effort days? Wouldn't averaged calorie intakes with modest carb increases on all of your non-training days, modest decreases from the "high carb/heavy workout days", produce near-identical outcomes?

IOW, does anyone using these techniques actually feel "glycogen depleted" (as if that's a feeling lol) without those timed glucose hits? Wouldn't generally slightly higher glycogen stores by not starving carbs on any days accomplish similar?

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Because they're also trying to preserve your muscle mass. It's probably not the most efficient way to lose weight if you don't lift.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:26 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm Wilhelm eats like a machine,
Hahaha!

I actually had a nice treat for lunch today.
Smoked salmon scramble.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 am

The hardest part of this diet is choking down a casien shake just before bed

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 am

simonrest wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 am The hardest part of this diet is choking down a casien shake just before bed
Have some Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese instead.

Also I have found the Max's casein actually tastes pretty good. And it's even nicer it's almond milk instead of water.

vm

Post by vm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am

I couldn't handle casein and water straight up, but if you have fats in your template, you can make casein cookies or casein bowl-of-slop. I'm lazy so I do the latter. Casein + peanut butter + water mixed up in a bowl, microwaved on 80% for 2m15s, then stirred up again and left to cool for 3-4 minutes. The main thing to play with is the amount of water you use. I use as little water as I can to make it cookie-dough like and have everything sticking together, which works out to around 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup for my macros. If you use too much, it gets really mushy.

If you have more time and aren't as lazy, you can mold the same mixture into a big cookie and put it in the oven for 20-30 mins at 350 degrees. I used to do that, but the microwave is just too convenient.