A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Squats
315x3
225x8x5

Real actual squats. I was in the mood for a deload. Antibiotics, yesterday's alcohol, and probiotics are wreaking havoc on my gut bits. Holy crap for real.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 pm
Allentown wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:57 pm 1.5 for 5 or 6 singles or something. I don't know, I'm pretty drunk.
Does that help?
It doesn't help remembering how many reps I did...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Conditioning

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Prowler Oct 2
0x40y x2
90x40y x2
140x40y x2
180x40y x2
230x40y x1
270x40y x1
320x40y x2

Evidence I at least loaded it up like I said: Instagram
Decided to see how heavy I could get the prowler. Might have gotten an extra 10-20lbs, but watching the kid/smoking pork chops/trying to make sure no one runs over or drives off with the prowler and I didn't feel like running to get more weights out. Not too tiring, I had planned on doing a few sprints with 140 or so to finish it off but I'd already been out there over an hour and the kid started "helmet off time" so I packed up and started decorating the helmet.

broseph
High Fiber

Re: Allent's log of nerdery, beer, and fatherhood. No training.

Post by broseph » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Is it strange that I'm really excited to see this helmet?

And would it be out of line to strongly suggest he go as an X wing fighter pilot for Halloween?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Upper assistance day

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Oct 3
CGBP
185x5x6
Chin
4x6 (strict, chest to bar)

Diaper, bottle attempt, some sweet potato, snuggles...

Military press
95x5x6
DB curl
40x5x6

Kiddo cried basically the whole time. We've dumped 6 bags of frozen milk so far because it smelled bad, not sure what is going on there. Also during BP my wife texted that someone called the fire department because my brother was found passed out in his car in someone's driveway, so he's in the hospital for something like the 10th time this year after trying to drink himself to death. He's been living with my parents for a few years now after they found out all he did at the condo they bought him down in Florida was get blackout drunk and do drugs every day. So good times all around- the gym is where I go to relax and blow off steam. Crying babies and nonstop texts are not conducive to that.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:20 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 pm Is it strange that I'm really excited to see this helmet?

And would it be out of line to strongly suggest he go as an X wing fighter pilot for Halloween?
Instagram

Not quite film quality, though...
"We've" also decided he will be a squirrel, and I will be a tree. Whatev, I get to pull the booze wagon.
Last edited by Allentown on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Re: Upper assistance day

Post by hsilman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm Kiddo cried basically the whole time. We've dumped 6 bags of frozen milk so far because it smelled bad, not sure what is going on there. Also during BP my wife texted that someone called the fire department because my brother was found passed out in his car in someone's driveway, so he's in the hospital for something like the 10th time this year after trying to drink himself to death. He's been living with my parents for a few years now after they found out all he did at the condo they bought him down in Florida was get blackout drunk and do drugs every day. So good times all around- the gym is where I go to relax and blow off steam. Crying babies and nonstop texts are not conducive to that.
Bruh.

That sucks, sorry man.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 am

Yeah, that really sucks. My family and I went through something similar with my sister for many years. Actually had a real intervention a couple years ago, and it seems to have worked, at least for now.

I'm gonna be in your neighborhood this weekend if you want/have time to lift or get a beer or what not.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 am

Root wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 am Yeah, that really sucks. My family and I went through something similar with my sister for many years. Actually had a real intervention a couple years ago, and it seems to have worked, at least for now.

I'm gonna be in your neighborhood this weekend if you want/have time to lift or get a beer or what not.
My bro has flat out told my wife (who have been pretty good friends since before we started dating) that an "intervention" kind of thing would not work for him. My parents said they picked up some information about counseling last night, so hopefully things are moving in the right direction- "praying about it" isn't going to do a thing.
Wife works Fri-Sun, but I'd be up for anything either day either during the day if you don't mind hanging out with a baby (and my son) or in the evening (I don't actually know when she gets off).
hsilman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am Bruh.

That sucks, sorry man.
It's really not terrible, I was just getting frustrated yesterday. I'm selfish- I don't really feel like dealing with someone who got themselves stuck in the hospital 3 hours away with an impounded car. Especially when I have a hungry kid and not having any luck getting him anything to eat.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 am

Sounds like you're handling it all pretty well, but stuff like that still sucks. Seriously though, seems like there is literally "one in every family."

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 am

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 am Sounds like you're handling it all pretty well, but stuff like that still sucks. Seriously though, seems like there is literally "one in every family."

I'm practical. Not a large % of people with substance abuse problems fully resolve them, and a significant % end up ruining their or other people's lives because of it. I'll help him if I can, but I'm not going to let my family get dragged down by someone else's problems. By practical I might mean asshole, I'm not sure.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Re: Coc

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm Kiddo cried basically the whole time. We've dumped 6 bags of frozen milk so far because it smelled bad, not sure what is going on there. Also during BP my wife texted that someone called the fire department because my brother was found passed out in his car in someone's driveway, so he's in the hospital for something like the 10th time this year after trying to drink himself to death. He's been living with my parents for a few years now after they found out all he did at the condo they bought him down in Florida was get blackout drunk and do drugs every day. So good times all around- the gym is where I go to relax and blow off steam. Crying babies and nonstop texts are not conducive to that.
Sorry to hear all that.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 am I'll help him if I can, but I'm not going to let my family get dragged down by someone else's problems. By practical I might mean asshole, I'm not sure.
May seem that way by some, but take care of your family first. Sure you don't need me telling you, but you've got my respect, FWIW.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 amI'm practical. Not a large % of people with substance abuse problems fully resolve them, and a significant % end up ruining their or other people's lives because of it. I'll help him if I can, but I'm not going to let my family get dragged down by someone else's problems. By practical I might mean asshole, I'm not sure.
I vote practical. Good luck with the situation though.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am

Yup. I’ve never regretted choosing my wife and kids over other family stuff. You’ve got my vote that you’re doing the right thing.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am Yup. I’ve never regretted choosing my wife and kids over other family stuff. You’ve got my vote that you’re doing the right thing.
Definitely this.

Allentown
Likes Beer

CoC? & Front squats

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am

Oct 4
CoC
1.5x3x5
ExpandYoHand
Yellow x12x5

Until I hear what Phase 2 is, I'm just going to rotate low rep high effort (1.5, 5 sets up to 5 reps), high rep med effort (1.0 10 sets up to 15 reps), and low rep low effort (T, 5x3).

Squats & DL
Front squats
285x5x4

DL
175x10x3

Video:Instagram
EZPZ

Thanks for the back up, everyone. The root cause of the problem is supposedly some depression, which I am trying to be sympathetic to while also not actually understanding much about. I was raised to just pray about that stuff, not talk about it, so my family isn't great at handling mental health issues.
Last edited by Allentown on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Re: CoC? & other stuff probably

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 amThanks for the back up, everyone. The root cause of the problem is supposedly some depression, which I am trying to be sympathetic to while also not actually understanding much about. I was raised to just pray about that stuff, not talk about it, so my family isn't great at handling mental health issues.
It's such a shitty and incomprehensible issue. Ultimately, the only one that can "fix" it is your brother. And there is absolutely no way to "make" him do it, either. It's like the proverb about a horse and water except the horse doesn't think its thirsty and will argue with you about what qualifies as water.

Family support is always important, and I think that's the primary reason for the (marginal) success of AA. It creates a relatable community of people for social/emotional support. It's also impossible to say, generally, whether empathy or "tough love" is more helpful; that's relationship and personality dependent.

I hope things improve. I know I'm just a stranger, but feel free to message me if you want.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

man, it's a shitty situation - sorry you are having to go through it. I can't add anything to the comments above - hope y'all can work it out

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am The root cause of the problem is supposedly some depression, which I am trying to be sympathetic to while also not actually understanding much about. I was raised to just pray about that stuff, not talk about it, so my family isn't great at handling mental health issues.
I would suggest, albeit knowing only what you describe here on the Internets, that the best thing you can do without driving yourself too crazy is try to get your parents to be open to your brother getting real mental health help (i.e., not from a religious counselor but from a therapist who will work with an actual psychiatrist) and getting on some meds to treat his depression to just start to address his problems. There's a ridiculous amount of misconceptions about this sort of thing, particularly among religious families.
Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 amBy practical I might mean asshole, I'm not sure.
Boundaries are important. Especially when getting tangled up in someone else's downward trajectory is unlikely to actually help that person and highly likely to harm you and your wife/kid. Sorry you're dealing with this.