Ammonia...

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Re: Ammonia...

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Ragholmes wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pmMillions of people snort cocaine... There's always someone out there willing to go way too far.
Yeah, but cocaine has an intrinsic reward, whereas ammonia ... doesn't, to say the least.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Thu May 30, 2019 10:46 am

I came upon this gem in the Amazon reviews.
2019-05-30 10.44.42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

Pasting this from my log.
I've decided i like having ammonia for a meet.
heidikay wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am
Wilhelm wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:38 pm Ammonia, it's a hell of a drug.
I bought some nose tork a couple of weeks ago but haven't had occasion to use it yet. Now I am absolutely intrigued. . .
I got used to it in training, gradually getting to where i took more in.
I didn't use it on openers for squat and DL in training or at the meet, and wasn't using it for bench in training except or a few times.

I think the thing it does for me, is gets me out of my head.
That could be what they mean by it lowering inhibition.

At the meet i was huffing it so deep my throat burned. Nose right down in the bottle.
I was having trouble with my bench in training, and wasn't completely unfamiliar with the ammonia for bench, so on my third i used it, knowing from training i needed to not let it disturb my routine.

I got the nose tork, and by next meet spring 2020, i may consider getting some of the heavy duty stuff from Jujimufu.

I mean, maybe. The nose tork seems pretty potent as is.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks for the rundown @Wilhelm. I have the tork; I didn't realize potency could differ so much across brands. I may buy the Jujimufu for a laugh.
Even though it's just ammonia I'm still scared of it :lol:

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:37 pm
cgeorgiev wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:17 pm I would be concerned about the effects of ammonia on epithelial cells in my nose. I remember my anatomy prof. saying that it (ammonia) kills these cells. I have no idea to what extent, but that would be a choice you have to make. I'm sure other people more educated on this board can chime in.
Ooooh shit, that don't sound good.
A lot of one's sense of taste is really augmented from sense of smell.

Otherwise, I like the third deadlift idea (without ever trying 'it' before hand).
IMO bench and squat take a little more "skill" and what not.
Well on a positive side of losing the sense of taste, you could always just eat clean forever because nothing has a taste.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pmWell on a positive side of losing the sense of taste, you could always just eat clean forever because nothing has a taste.
Jujimufu's superpower.

Found it: "Bland Tongue"

Oh yeah, found where he talks about it too:
Jujimufu wrote:All my friends and family have always been amazed at my ability to “endure” very bland foods and love it.

Cream of rice with nothing in it? I LOVE IT!

Antoine Vaillant has always envied this in me, so much to the extent he has named it as one of my super powers and makes jokes about it. I can eat a bowl of cream of rice with nothing in it and I enjoy it as much as a bowl of ice cream. I eat protein powders unflavored and unsweetened. I don’t need to put sauces and spices on almost anything. Bland is how I eat, yet I don’t feel deprived or feel like I’m dieting. This is one of the reasons I’ve been shredded for almost a decade.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 am

@SeanHerbison Nice!!!!!! Yeah, I heard about that effect from my buddy, his uncle was diagnosed with throat cancer and had to undergo radiation in that area. It completely killed all of his taste buds for over a 2 year timeframe. During that time all his uncle did was eat plain chicken, veggies, and stayed away from all sweets and stuff. Lost tons of weight. and has just kept if off since then, as well as the eating habits.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm
Jujimufu wrote:Bland is how I eat, yet I don’t feel deprived or feel like I’m dieting. This is one of the reasons I’ve been shredded for almost a decade.
What an asshole

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm

I had to get a new jar of tacky for the rest of the year, so I threw a bottle of ammonia into the order...

Guess I'm gonna find out if I like it or not...

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 am

I got my ammonia caps in the mail a few days ago, and decided to give one a shot yesterday for my deadlift session. I popped the capsule and took a whiff, starting out about a foot from my face and gradually getting within a few inches. It was pretty damn intense...I was supposed to pull a 6@8 but ended up doing 7 at what was probably a 7 rpe. I wanted to do more reps but knew I shouldn't so I held off. This stuff definitely makes you feel like superman for a short time, I felt like I could run through a brick wall. But all that did come with a cost... After I "came down" I almost felt hungover, and then a couple hours later I had a bunch of drainage in my sinuses. My wife was super grossed out from all the snorting lol. My sinuses felt dry the rest of the night and I had a hard time falling asleep, although that was probably due to afternoon caffeine intake rather than the ammonia.

All in all, the stuff definitely works, but I'll be saving it for PR attempts from here on out.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

Stenson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 amThis stuff definitely makes you feel like superman for a short time, I felt like I could run through a brick wall. But all that did come with a cost... After I "came down" I almost felt hungover, and then a couple hours later I had a bunch of drainage in my sinuses. ... My sinuses felt dry the rest of the night and I had a hard time falling asleep, although that was probably due to afternoon caffeine intake rather than the ammonia.
That is... way more extreme than my experience. To me, it's about the equivalent of getting smacked hard on the back a few times. It wakes me up and stings a bit, but there are no longer-term effects.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am
Stenson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 amThis stuff definitely makes you feel like superman for a short time, I felt like I could run through a brick wall. But all that did come with a cost... After I "came down" I almost felt hungover, and then a couple hours later I had a bunch of drainage in my sinuses. ... My sinuses felt dry the rest of the night and I had a hard time falling asleep, although that was probably due to afternoon caffeine intake rather than the ammonia.
That is... way more extreme than my experience. To me, it's about the equivalent of getting smacked hard on the back a few times. It wakes me up and stings a bit, but there are no longer-term effects.
I was heavily caffeinated at the time so that probably played a role. My tub of preworkout was nearly empty so I just dumped the rest in - probably 3-4 scoops worth. When I lift, I very rarely get hyped up so maybe the hype had more of an after effect on me? Who knows. But I do know that benching and belt squatting after these pulls was a struggle.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Stenson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 amI was heavily caffeinated at the time so that probably played a role. My tub of preworkout was nearly empty so I just dumped the rest in - probably 3-4 scoops worth.
Far more likely to be the actual cause, at least for most of what you described.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 am

Stenson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 am I got my ammonia caps in the mail a few days ago, and decided to give one a shot yesterday for my deadlift session. I popped the capsule and took a whiff, starting out about a foot from my face and gradually getting within a few inches. It was pretty damn intense...I was supposed to pull a 6@8 but ended up doing 7 at what was probably a 7 rpe. I wanted to do more reps but knew I shouldn't so I held off. This stuff definitely makes you feel like superman for a short time, I felt like I could run through a brick wall. But all that did come with a cost... After I "came down" I almost felt hungover, and then a couple hours later I had a bunch of drainage in my sinuses. My wife was super grossed out from all the snorting lol. My sinuses felt dry the rest of the night and I had a hard time falling asleep, although that was probably due to afternoon caffeine intake rather than the ammonia.

All in all, the stuff definitely works, but I'll be saving it for PR attempts from here on out.
Thanks for this: after reading your post my tork will stay boxed up on a shelf in the darkest depths of the basement.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 am

heidikay wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 am
Thanks for this: after reading your post my tork will stay boxed up on a shelf in the darkest depths of the basement.
Lol, it's entirely possible that I'm just a big wuss. I'd at least give it a shot.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 am

@heidikay, my experience is consistent with what Sean described.
No lingering effects.
I would suggest using it for top singles over a span of time to where you get used to it.
In not too long, you will be able to get your nose right to the bottle.
At that point, i'd say you can put it on the shelf and use it for PRs or just heavy top reps if you want.
I don't know how long it lasts, but i've had mine since late march or Early April, and it's fine.

As well as your nose being used to it, i think it's important to know how your set up routines feel with it, so you have that repeatable feel with or without it.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 am @heidikay, my experience is consistent with what Sean described.
No lingering effects.
I would suggest using it for top singles over a span of time to where you get used to it.
In not too long, you will be able to get your nose right to the bottle.
At that point, i'd say you can put it on the shelf and use it for PRs or just heavy top reps if you want.
I don't know how long it lasts, but i've had mine since late march or Early April, and it's fine.

As well as your nose being used to it, i think it's important to know how your set up routines feel with it, so you have that repeatable feel with or without it.
You're an ammonia pusher Wilhelm :lol:
Seriously, I probably will take the plunge with my next heavy single just to see. It will make for a funny video if nothing else. DL is starting to get pretty heavy for me, so the extra oomph will be welcome.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Got my bottle Friday...

I got way too close to the bottle and took probably way to big a whiff.

Holy crap... like somebody inside my brain punched me behind the eyes. Also my nose immediately started leaking. Some yelling.

I was mowing the lawn... neighbors weren't impressed.

I'll give it a shot Friday on my heavy deadlift single...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 am

I got a couple new bottles of nose tork more than a month ago.

I've opened one, and i'm keeping it in a couple of produce bags.
I put it in the bottom, twist the bags tight to the bottle, then turn the bags inside out, grab the once wrapped bottle and pull it through, twist it again, and wrap it with a rubber band.

I use it pretty rarely in training, but when i do take it out, it will leave moisture on my fingers when i open the lid.
Condensation i presume.
Seems like the bags do a good job of keeping it from evaporating.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am

I keep about 5 ammonia capsules in desk at work for when I am too tired or sleepy in the morning. Also keep a stash in the gym bag too for training. I love ammonia.