Shoes thread !?!!

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Shoes thread !?!!

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 am

Seems like lots of folks in the shoes game now.

This one was surprising. Looks like a pretty good mild heel shoe for PL folks. I’m sure it’s made overseas, but it looks like the components are correct even though they are a bit heinous.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Shoes!?!

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:56 am

The grommeted eyelets are nice, and the dual position top grommets are a neat idea as well.

Yikes, $200.
You can get a pair of Romy2s for $160 or less if you look around, and don't care about colors too much.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:57 am

I don't hate those. But they look shoddy, construction wise. I love both of my do wins but my only complaint is that the heel area is too soft and my foot moves around even with the strap locked down tight. I think these would be worse? Anyone try them?

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 am

https://positionusa.com/collections/r1/ ... -grayskull

I like these. 180 or 200 is steep though considering you can prob find better made shoea for half that.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:38 am

mgil wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 am even though they are a bit heinous.
I think that picture of that sesame street shoe on their IG page is just for the press release or something....

On their website, the R1 (low heel/PL shoe?) appears to be a bit more tame.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:49 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:56 am You can get a pair of Romy2s for $160 or less if you look around, and don't care about colors too much.
I'm guessing, "good luck finding Rom2's in a common size."

That hookgrip guy has some (Rom2s, etc).
https://store.hookgrip.com/product-cate ... ing-shoes/
I'm not quite sure on this part: but I think what he does is buy's up a bunch of old stock in bulk of the "gud shoe"
when the newer models come out. Then, of course, sells those to the die hards at a high price...(good on him).
I remember when this guy had some old discontinued wood-heel-2008-Adistars (new in the box).
He was getting around $500+. ...he might of had a set in there for $700 IIRC.

I tried the Rom3's the other day, they are noticeably more flimsy than my Rom2's, or my Anta's.
Do not like them. Total fuckup if you ask me (I'm sure Nike's margin is two fold on the 3's vs. 2's, and then joke's on us)
I wouldn't be surprised if those Rom2's go up to $250 in six months, or higher.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:40 am

This is where i got mine -
https://www.athleteps.com/

They have my size (11) still, at $160

Fortunately, i won't be needing to replace mine for many years to come.

I didn't like the look of the Romy 3s even with no real experience under my belt yet.

iirc, it was @MPhelps who tried them out and switched to the Reebok Legacy soon thereafter.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:59 am

Nike has a newer version of called the romaleo 3XD (for extra durable) that addressed some of the durability and material quality issues of the 3 while still maintaining some of the lightness. Rebeka Koha switched to them, but that could partially be because of her partnership to the German weightlifting shop, which sells them.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:16 am

The Rom 2s are easy to find on eBay and, if you have a giant foot, they are dirt cheap. Bunch of listings on size 14 and up under $100.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:26 am

Fzt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:59 am Nike has a newer version of called the romaleo 3XD (for extra durable) that addressed some of the durability and material quality issues of the 3 while still maintaining some of the lightness. Rebeka Koha switched to them, but that could partially be because of her partnership to the German weightlifting shop, which sells them.
Just watched As Many Reviews As Possible reviewing these.
Then started watching his review of the Legacy lifters.
Instantly liked the Reeboks better, and he goes on to say how stable they feel for squats.

It really seems to me like they are much more like the Romy 2s.
The Romy 3xds are also still ugly AF, imo.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 am

@Wilhelm Legacy lifters are really nice and often go on sale for reasonable prices. Although some of the colorways are a bit whack, the classic black and white ones are really sharp. They're definitely one of the better shoes around.

I preferred the leistungs, but ultimately they're just shoes and it doesn't really matter that much.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm

I’ve got Adidas PP2’s and R3’s and much prefer the R3’s. Not a huge fan of the colourway I went for, but I figured I better at least try something different from monochrome. Lesson learned for next time! I find the fit better for my foot with the narrower shoe and smaller toebox compared to the PP2’s.

I like the look of the Reebok’s too - would like to try them next if I need another pair in future. I was between them and the R3’s previously, but the R3’s came on sale.

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 am

I've seen a few torn tongues in the Romaleo III's. The 3XD's seem like they beefed up the tongue quite a bit and also use heavier material in the rest of the shoe.

I love the wider fit of the Rom II's, when my two pairs finally wear out, I might try some of the Legacy Lifters.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am

The Rom 3 is not a gud shoe in it's original form. As @Wilhelm said, they're ugly as sin first of all. I came to them from the VS athletics shoes which were heavy and pretty decent, even though they don't last too long. The uppers got worn out after a year of lifting. The Rom 3 is too flexible in the sole so it always pitched me on my toes. The strap is decently constructed, but it's one strap. I prefer two smaller ones placed where they're needed over one. The fit was odd, with a pronounced arch. They're also very light, so I never felt glued to the platform. Not sure if there's any correlation, but I set a bunch of all-time PRs in the VS shoes. None in the Roms. Of course the number one reason they sucked balls was after owning them for 9 months, the sole became unglued and had to be re-glued twice in 2 months. The tongue ripped a bit on one of the shoes. I'm pretty careful putting on my shoes. I sit down and pull them on by the sole. I don't yank on the tongue. I also don't take them off with my toes on the heel of the other shoe. I was doing exclusively Olympic lifts and accessories. Nothing that should've worn them out.

Legacy lifters are badass. They're heavy and built like tanks. They pretty much are what a lifting shoe should be. They are definitely narrow and run big, so take that into consideration. I usually wear a 9 or 9.5. The 9.5 legacy lifter is definitely squeezing my wide-ish feet, and there's definitely some space in front of my toes. They come in mostly ugly colors, but they all do these days. I went for the orange one because they were $80 on sale. There's actually 2 shades of orange, one of them is almost more pink. Not my favorite color. For some reason, they're not as popular as the Nike and Adidas, even though both companies seemed to have abandoned dedicated weightlifting shoes for cool kid shoes in heinous colorways (made up word for sneaker colors).

I've heard the Position shoes aren't made well. I'm surprised they're still in business.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:31 am

MPhelps wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am The Rom 3 is not a gud shoe in it's original form. As @Wilhelm said, they're ugly as sin first of all. I came to them from the VS athletics shoes which were heavy and pretty decent, even though they don't last too long. The uppers got worn out after a year of lifting.
I'm surprised by this. My VS Athletics lasted maybe 4+ years, and I only moved them on (gave them to someone at the gym) because I bought R2s when I had some cash.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:45 pm

Skander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:31 am
MPhelps wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am The Rom 3 is not a gud shoe in it's original form. As @Wilhelm said, they're ugly as sin first of all. I came to them from the VS athletics shoes which were heavy and pretty decent, even though they don't last too long. The uppers got worn out after a year of lifting.
I'm surprised by this. My VS Athletics lasted maybe 4+ years, and I only moved them on (gave them to someone at the gym) because I bought R2s when I had some cash.
They're still kicking around, they're just a little bit sloppy. They were kind of tight when I first got them, in a year and a half of use, they got pretty loose. It was during my squat erryday phase though, so maybe I could've extended it for another 2 years if I trained like a smart person that wanted to improve.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 pm

I have been liking my rom 3s, bit this thread makes me want to retry the 2s. If only they weren't so.... Orange.

Also:

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Adipower 2 release date

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:11 am

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:19 am

Is there any advantage to a lighter shoe, for someone who doesn't do split-snatches?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 am

cwd wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:19 am Is there any advantage to a lighter shoe, for someone who doesn't do split-snatches?
I believe the reason the Romy2s are so popular with powerlifters, is that they are heavy, and feel very stable/rooted for squatting.
I have even seen it mentioned that a weightlifter with good (well developed) technique might opt for a heavier shoe for similar reasons.
The reasoning mentioned was that those lifters don't have any issue moving their feet in a heavier shoe.

I know, Pretty much the opposite of what you asked. :D
Last edited by Wilhelm on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.