Old Growler's Place

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

cwd

Re: Old Growler's Place

Post by cwd » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 am

RdC wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 pm Clarification: I see lifters annotate their logs with "PR". I don't do this yet. When I get some decent weight on the bar I might start marking my PR's. I'm embarrassed to say this but for now, every time I lift - the weights that I use and the reps I complete are PRs for me. LOL.
Go ahead and mark them -- that first progression where you set PRs every session is awesome.

Most of our lifting lives are spent recovering from layoffs or injuries. Being in that glorious part of your program where you are hitting PRs is worth mentioning!

Also, nice benching. I've been lifting for six years and still haven't benched 225, or even my own bodyweight. I'm hoping to do it finally in 2018 if my shoulders stay healthy that long.

RdC

Post by RdC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 am

cwd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 am
RdC wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 pm Clarification: I see lifters annotate their logs with "PR". I don't do this yet. When I get some decent weight on the bar I might start marking my PR's. I'm embarrassed to say this but for now, every time I lift - the weights that I use and the reps I complete are PRs for me. LOL.
Go ahead and mark them -- that first progression where you set PRs every session is awesome.

Most of our lifting lives are spent recovering from layoffs or injuries. Being in that glorious part of your program where you are hitting PRs is worth mentioning!

Also, nice benching. I've been lifting for six years and still haven't benched 225, or even my own bodyweight. I'm hoping to do it finally in 2018 if my shoulders stay healthy that long.
cwd, thanks for taking the time to comment in my log. Yes, I felt like I was going some where until this knee thing. I'm thinking I may take your suggestion and start marking my PRs. I'm thinking of running a short, from 1 to 3 month, LP once the knee settles down, and after I get the weight equal to or greater than where I had to pause--I will mark my PRs. It will also be good for my future references.

I appreciate the compliments. They give me a boost when I'm a tad down and off. I will keep doing this Bb stuff as I truly dislike the machines in the Post (Army) gym that I used for awhile. Their controlled ROMs gave my joints, tendons hell. In fact, extended use of the leg extension machine is where I started noting issues with my knees.

I look at your log daily, along with many others, and you are having a great run. I see no reason why 2018 will not be banner year for you - full of massive PRs.

I notice you high bar squat. I tried it but my attempt felt like a low bar with a high bar rack position. Would you mind sharing your tips and cues you use. If it's too much to ask, don't do it, it's all good either way.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:35 am

I only high-bar squat because my shoulder is too stiff for a good low-bar position right now. Low bar is better for most purposes, though harder to learn.

But for high-bar:
* Put the bar on the traps, far enough back from the neck to not rest on your spine.
* Hand and elbow position doesn't matter much, there's less for your hands to do in HB squats. Try not to exert much force with your hands.
* Work hard to keep your torso stiff -- strong valsalva. It's easier to round your low back in HB, and easier to go too deep. Check this on video.
* As always, keep your weight centered on your feet, neither on your toes nor your heels. You will be a little more upright at the bottom than LB.
* Being more upright, your ass can help your quads less, so you must use less weight. Harder on the knee tendons, sometimes.

I work on my shoulder stretches a bit each time I lift, and hope to go back to low-bar. Last time I tried, I hurt my elbow tendons (golfer's elbow), but that's finally healed now after a few months.

RdC

Post by RdC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:36 am

cwd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:35 am I only high-bar squat because my shoulder is too stiff for a good low-bar position right now. Low bar is better for most purposes, though harder to learn.

But for high-bar:
* Put the bar on the traps, far enough back from the neck to not rest on your spine.
* Hand and elbow position doesn't matter much, there's less for your hands to do in HB squats. Try not to exert much force with your hands.
* Work hard to keep your torso stiff -- strong valsalva. It's easier to round your low back in HB, and easier to go too deep. Check this on video.
* As always, keep your weight centered on your feet, neither on your toes nor your heels. You will be a little more upright at the bottom than LB.
* Being more upright, your ass can help your quads less, so you must use less weight. Harder on the knee tendons, sometimes.

I work on my shoulder stretches a bit each time I lift, and hope to go back to low-bar. Last time I tried, I hurt my elbow tendons (golfer's elbow), but that's finally healed now after a few months.
cwd, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to provide me with these insightful HBBS bullets! Since you mentioned it may be "harder on the knee tendons..." I will wait awhile before introducing this movement. I'm interested in HBBS and paused HBBS as I've read they target the quads.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 am

Re: "target the quads", HB works quads about as hard as LB, but it uses less glutes/low-back. So it "targets" the quads more in the sense that it's a less-complete exercise. But only a little bit -- they really aren't that different.

My patellar tendons/ligaments were sore a bit when I started doing HB 3x/week about a year ago, but I pushed weights up very slowly and didn't let the soreness get worse from session to session. It eventually went away, and HB doesn't bother my knees now.

But I've been advancing weight *really* slowly. Took a whole year to go from 180 to 250. May take another year to get to 275. I'm not sure I'm a good example for anything other than low expectations :-) Should probably hire a coach...

RdC

Post by RdC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 am

cwd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 am I'm not sure I'm a good example for anything other than low expectations :-)
Thanks for elaborating on your experiences with HB. I think you are a fine example and I appreciate anyone that takes the time to help me.

RdC

Post by RdC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am

11/7/2017

I stopped taking pills and applying patches to my right knee two days ago - yeah me!

(w x r x s)

LBBS:
Bunch of warm-ups. Started with bar and made 10lb jumps to "work set". Some warm-ups I repeated - fighting to find a groove that made my wonky knee happy. Ended up doing:
145x5x3 All were "red lights" (depth) but at least a start - again.

DL:
Bunch of warm-ups. I said screw the "dogma" (heard someone else use this word) and widen both my stance and grip and wore flats. Happy guy -happier knee but couldn't get knee to cooperate above 225 - believe me I tried.
225x5x1

I'm having knee pain and difficulty bending it at the moment - but I'm a happy camper - I had weight on the bar. Now onward and upward - slowly...

RdC

Post by RdC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am

11/8/2017

Walk: 16 minutes

Modified Hanging Knee Raises: 3 x 10
Hoped to pause when the tops of my thighs reached my chest - failed. First I need to get my thighs close to my chest. I'll get there--one day.

Mumbling:

I'm tired of putting my knee issues and fatness in my log.

I'm going to lift what I can, keep tweaking my form, etc.

I've lost 51 pounds since 2015--I hate dieting; but if I loose 40 more pounds I know my knees, back, heart, etc will be a lot happier.

I know the weights I lift ain't shit; but I believe that this is only temporary.

I appreciate all the help and advice people on this board have shared with me. Eventually, I will be a half-ass'd lifter. Thanks for the continuing support and help!

BootyBeech

Post by BootyBeech » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 am

I have knee issues. Like Ive always had knee issues from my teenage years. They roar at me sometimes, especially in the deadlift, but they have never given out under me. I put it down to incredibly tight, but flexible, hips that I can't seem to loosen up no matter what I try. Currently my TFL on the left side is so tight that at times it feels like I've sprained my knee! When I get under the bar though it all pretty much goes away! Anyway...I lube my knees and hips up with icy hot before I lift. It doesn't numb anything but it feels like I'm keeping the area nice and warm for the duration.

RdC

Post by RdC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 am

BootyBeech wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 am I have knee issues. Like Ive always had knee issues from my teenage years. They roar at me sometimes, especially in the deadlift, but they have never given out under me. I put it down to incredibly tight, but flexible, hips that I can't seem to loosen up no matter what I try. Currently my TFL on the left side is so tight that at times it feels like I've sprained my knee! When I get under the bar though it all pretty much goes away! Anyway...I lube my knees and hips up with icy hot before I lift. It doesn't numb anything but it feels like I'm keeping the area nice and warm for the duration.
Thanks BootyBeech for sharing. I attribute most of my knee concerns to the leg extension machine with help from the leg curl and leg press machine. My fault for using them. Plus there is no carry-over, in my mind, to barbell work. I'm a little late to barbell lifting but I've quickly became educated on how fast a barbell can find your weakness, Ha! Yep, knees don't like deadlifts and I only pull kiddie pounds.

Thanks for the "icy hot" tip! I normally use bengay, tiger balm and other useless balms. Recently, I used Lidocaine patches (normally used for my lower back) to plaster all over my knee. But, I going to go get icy hot in a bit. Because, I'm so creaky I may have to apply it every where except my crotch--ha.

You have an impressive log. I feel honored that you posted on my log. You move some awesome weight. In the video that you posted, you made that Press look like me fiddling around pressing with my 5lb dumbbells trying to get the kinks out--unbelievable. Thanks again - I will be following you.

BootyBeech

Post by BootyBeech » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks man. I'm still trying to pull all of my old strength back from tearing my QL (speculation by physical therapists and other therapists but never scanned to diagnose 100%) and then moving countries and having a mental schedule for ages. I'm back on track now though and I'm hoping for good things.

I am using some deep heat at the moment but the stronger it is the better. Think of it like lube greasing up the joints.

RdC

Post by RdC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

11/09/2017

Stretching pre-workout.

(w (lbs) x r x s)

SQUAT:
210x5x3
First time using knee sleeves - nice. I tried a tad wider stance (little wider than hips ~ a inch or two) and different grip (index fingers next to power rings) - improvement? I wouldn't know- not enough experience, but I felt a bit more secure and confident. Really tried to push my knees out.

BENCH:
185x5x3
Bumped J-cups a couple times on the way to lock out. I think I need to set-up better. I have a very tiny arch, minimal "leg drive" and when I look up the bar looks to be over my mouth. I guess each of these hiccups, in there own way, leads me to having a shitty set-up. I hate being a noob!

DEAD:
255x5x1
Still trying to ignore my thumbs while they are talking to me during the lift (hook grip) - not bad just irritating. I read that a few folks suggested taping the thumbs. I should buy some tape and try it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Great work, RdC!
I benched those same numbers today.
I just started benching three times a week.
Among other things, it gives me a lot more reps to practice technique and develop more awareness of what's going on.

I tape my thumbs. I stick to the two layers the USAPL allows, and last time i didn't tape above the second knuckle, just the base.
Ideally i'd like to get to where i don't need it, but i'm just doing some of my warmups hook after 135 w/o tape to at least give them a chance to adapt.
Can't remember at what weight i taped up. When it seemed like a good idea though.
last thing i want is to tear some skin and set myself back.

I'm doing all singles, so again, lots of practice setting up.
Even getting better at taping. last time my thumbs were not even much on my mind. Getting used to where my spot is.

RdC

Post by RdC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 am

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 pm Great work, RdC!
I benched those same numbers today.
I just started benching three times a week.
Among other things, it gives me a lot more reps to practice technique and develop more awareness of what's going on.

I tape my thumbs. I stick to the two layers the USAPL allows, and last time i didn't tape above the second knuckle, just the base.
Ideally i'd like to get to where i don't need it, but i'm just doing some of my warmups hook after 135 w/o tape to at least give them a chance to adapt.
Can't remember at what weight i taped up. When it seemed like a good idea though.
last thing i want is to tear some skin and set myself back.

I'm doing all singles, so again, lots of practice setting up.
Even getting better at taping. last time my thumbs were not even much on my mind. Getting used to where my spot is.
Wilhelm, thanks for dropping by again!

I look at your log and see the progress you are making and how spot on your technique is - I'm awe struck! You are the one doing great work!

I'm putzing around with a limited LP until a few things return to acting right. I started yesterday.

I will consider your thought about benching more. I wish OHP wasn't considered important as I would drop it in a heart beat. Back, to benching...what's the cliche: Practice make perfect. Consequently, your advice may be the way to go.

I bought some tape yesterday. I goofed around in the evening with 135 and taped thumbs. Not enough weight to test, but I've been watching a few vids on how to do the hook and decided to practice with taped thumbs--I need more practice. Tonight, I will tape as you do.

I noticed earlier in your log that you pulled DL singles. I plan on trying the singles training when my DL gets back to the unimpressive weight of 315. Even now I notice that by the 3rd rep my form looks rushed-which to my uneducated eye-tells me I'm weak-which I already know--got to keep practicing.

Thanks again for the insight, advice, and fist bumps!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 am

The deadlift program i'm following is based on a percentage of 1rm.

I am really just guessing at that for this first run. I'm really hoping i wasn't too optimistic.
I'll find out in the next four sessions.
Then i'll test 1rm and run it for real for ten weeks leading up to the meet.

Someone here suggested this method to me, but i'm not qualified to advise on programming.
So i'll just link info so you can explore it and perhaps run it by folks in the training and programming forum.

I highly recommend asking some others what may be good/best ways to proceed.
This could be great, but as i said, i really can't advise anyone on programming.

Maybe there are other singles programs that would be more effective for you. I just don't know

Then there's the whole basing it on a percentage of 1rm, and i am just guessing until i can actually test.
If you know what you can do for a max triple, you can get a decent estimate of 1rm though.
But, i can say the practice setting up and practicing like it will be in a meet is good for me.
The time it takes me to set up is getting shorter and more repeatable.

I've never done a true 1rm test, and that too is something you should really reasearch before trying
I think i'll be ready, hopefully i don't hurt myself.
So please don't take this as advice.

SSPT - https://marylandpowerlifting.com/2014/1 ... -deadlift/
I'm using the one day a week plan shown in the example templates in the article
In his article, he suggests watching these two short videos

RdC

Post by RdC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for the info and links Wilhelm. I like the idea of doing singles for DL. I'm thinking rather than do the SSPT “program” - I will do at least one set of at least 3 singles – my technique sucks after the 1st rep anyway. I did this with my other core lifts on “off” days in an to attempt to improve my the form for the “real” workout. On “off” days I also walked and did light/nominal accessory work (abs, dips, push-ups, chins, etc). But since I'm dieting my off day light weight “singles” technique work along with my accessory work may have to stop because I'm starting feel like crap every day. Hence, I may have to make off days – off--except for a 15-30 minute walk. Another joy of being a senior citizen—sucks the big one.

RdC

Post by RdC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 pm

11/11/2017

Short and sweet exercise bike warm up followed by stretching

(w x r x s)

SQUAT:
215x5x3

PRESS:
115x5x3
I need to find a way to actually push the bar back as it passes my forehead and drive forward. I feel like I'm doing it but from my videos it looks like the bar ends up a little in front of my shoulders. I don't do any hip movement; I just squeeze my butt, tighten my abs, lock my knees and go—and it looks like straight up. I thought I had this fixed—obviously not. One thing after another – but I will figure it out!

DEADLIFT:
265x1,1,1 hook grip – meh....
265x5x1 alternate grip – mm mm.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm

I do the press with slightly forward hips at the start. Not press 2.0, and not a layback.
Just helps get the torso back and clears a path for the bar.

I have no idea if this it the "right" way. Picked it up here after giving up on press 2.0
https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=KesQVGoYLso

RdC

Post by RdC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Another valuable gem found by Coach Wilhelm. I will try the hips forward cue tomorrow with a few light presses. I know my elbows are not "under" the bar but slightly in front-I will correct that tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:57 pm

I read someone talk about cueing tucking the elbows on press. ( so they stay under/in front, i assume.)
I'll try and find that.

I didn't notice Thrall showing elbows perfectly under the bar.
I'm sure that's great, but it seems a pretty exact target to hit.

I know behind the bar is bad, but i have actually been keeping them slightly in front.
I can't remember where i saw that, but it's been working pretty well for me.

Also, you're going to get me in trouble calling me coach. :lol:
I know you're kidding.

Found it. It was mgil _

Re: Que? Ques
Post by mgil » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:28 pm

"So on press, I cue my elbows in.
That’s all I’ve got for now."