Paul's form thread

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Paul

Paul's form thread

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am

Warning: loud music on most of my videos!

Mostly worried about front squats. It looks like I should be getting deeper, just not sure how... these feel bottomed out.

Not sure what to think of my deadlift. Feels okay, but seems like my knees lock too soon on video? Or something.

Comments on my bench are welcome too, though its maybe not a great angle.

Clip 1: Bench 4×75%(195lb)
Clip 2: Front squat 1@8 (245lb) called it because form was slipping.
Clip 3: FS 5×70%(185lb)

Paul

Re: Paul's form thread

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am

Deadlift 1@~9:

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am

That is a relatively comfortable looking @9 for your pull mate, congrats!

I think it's a little unfair to critique form when it's in PR territory tbh (losing some tightness in the upper back and bum coming up start of pull, you're obviously stronger in the hams and glutes and the effort's switched to there). Wouldn't mind seeing a sub @8 work set next time.

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for the input! : ) I'm training this afternoon and deads are on the menu. I'll film some sets for sure.

The @9 on that is mostly because I am having trouble a pushing through higher intensities (everything feels @10) and minor injuries hold me back more than strength.

I attempted 455lb after that and stopped because something started "pulling" in my left glute area. I've felt that before major tweaks before. Felt like it barely moved, but video showed it was 6-8 inches off the ground. Probably could have done it.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed May 01, 2019 12:53 pm

@Paul, you sit your hips pretty low before pulling, rolling the bar forward. When you then pull, your hips elevate substantially before the bar (and shoulders) begin to raise. Hard to see, but the bar may have rolled in front of your mid-foot. I would prefer to see the hips and shoulders rise in unison until the bar hits your knees. Only at that point does the spine angle really begin to change. You should be pushing the feet through the floor at the first part of the movement and then straightening the hips. That is at least the mental cue.

Lots of good examples to watch, but I think Pete Rubish is one of the best:

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed May 01, 2019 4:02 pm

@Paul, have you tried using more arch during bench?

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed May 01, 2019 10:15 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:53 pm you sit your hips pretty low before pulling, rolling the bar forward. When you then pull, your hips elevate substantially before the bar (and shoulders) begin to raise. Hard to see, but the bar may have rolled in front of your mid-foot. I would prefer to see the hips and shoulders rise in unison until the bar hits your knees. Only at that point does the spine angle really begin to change. You should be pushing the feet through the floor at the first part of the movement and then straightening the hips. That is at least the mental cue.
I'm gonna say the bar got away from midfoot... now that I look again, I blatantly bumped it couple of inches forward. Some of this I've thought about before, but I guess I've been getting sloppy with the setup. I've been so focused on back extension, as that's historically been a weak point for me, as well as a postural habit. Thank you!
The part about the bar being at the knees before changing back angle... I definitely need to play with that. I was worried I was waiting too long to lock the hip!
I'll try starting with higher hips as well.
mgil wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:02 pm have you tried using more arch during bench?
I used to try arching more... I stopped as I thought I should do just enough for shoulder health while maximizing ROM. I only recently started taking bench videos and noticed how low my arch actually is. It feels like I'm arching a lot. I'm posturally kyphotic as hell though. You recommend more arch?
Last edited by Paul on Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm

A set of deadlifts from earlier today:

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu May 02, 2019 2:31 am

@Paul, a bit more arch and leg drive might help you get more pounds on the bar. Not a big deal though.

What else do you do for pulls from the floor? Just curious.

On that last filming of DLs, I think you’re a bit forward of the bar and could benefit from “sitting back” a bit just before the pull begins.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu May 02, 2019 3:25 am

I thought that was much better.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am

mgil wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:31 am Paul, a bit more arch and leg drive might help you get more pounds on the bar. Not a big deal though.

What else do you do for pulls from the floor? Just curious.

On that last filming of DLs, I think you’re a bit forward of the bar and could benefit from “sitting back” a bit just before the pull begins.
We'll, I've got a meet coming up so more weight on the bar is definitely a good thing! Training today, so I'll see what I can do.
For leg drive, do you mean actively pushing on the concentric or just more isometric "tightness"?

For pulls, the previous 2 weeks I've done:

Day 1 - Deficit DL - 5×5 @55% of comp DL
Day 3 - Comp DL - 1@90%, 10×1@85%

Prior to this I was doing heavier SGDL in place of deficits and had Rows on Day 2. I cut the rows and went lower stress on the deficits to free up some lumbar fatigue to fit low bar squats back in.

As for "sitting back" , do you mean that my hips should actually drop a bit or something more subtle?
JohnHelton wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:25 am I thought that was much better.
Am I doing the back angle thing right?

If it helps diagnose anything, my first rep is almost always harder than the second. My initial setup never seems to be as good as where the bar starts on rep 2.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am

Paul wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am As for "sitting back" , do you mean that my hips should actually drop a bit or something more subtle?
Like rocking back a touch right before you pull. Sometimes the hips drop. It can be subtle.

Since you have a meet upcoming, I wouldn't touch your programming for now. Once it's done, I'd suggest somehting like a "pivot block" that RTS does and try doing some sumo pulls as part of that to see how those complement your competition DL work. But I repeat, don't change anything for now.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm

mgil wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am
Paul wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am As for "sitting back" , do you mean that my hips should actually drop a bit or something more subtle?
Like rocking back a touch right before you pull. Sometimes the hips drop. It can be subtle.

Since you have a meet upcoming, I wouldn't touch your programming for now. Once it's done, I'd suggest somehting like a "pivot block" that RTS does and try doing some sumo pulls as part of that to see how those complement your competition DL work. But I repeat, don't change anything for now.
Okay, sounds simple enough. Thank you!

I was already planning on doing a bunch of "opposite" type training after the meet. More reps, more gpp, press emphasis instead of bench. Sumo would fit nicely in there. I used to exclusively sumo (my first LP) until I got less fat, my hip started hurting and I discovered I was way stronger with conventional.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri May 03, 2019 2:29 am

You’ll probably stay stronger conventional but I’m just taking a swag at sumo helping to further develop a locked in lower back.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 am

mgil wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:29 am You’ll probably stay stronger conventional but I’m just taking a swag at sumo helping to further develop a locked in lower back.
Locked in lower back sounds good! My lower back seems to really limit me on most things. Lots of tweaks. Limits the weight on the bar unless I carefully manage fatigue.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Paul wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am Am I doing the back angle thing right?

If it helps diagnose anything, my first rep is almost always harder than the second. My initial setup never seems to be as good as where the bar starts on rep 2.
The back angle looked good. You can see the leg drive followed by the hips.

The first rep is harder because you aren't getting tight enough before the first pull. Your body is naturally going to be tenser going into subsequent reps.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Also, be careful with how you stand while doing sumo, if you have already had hip pain. Some people can get hip impingement with a wide stance. If it hurts your hips, that isn't good. Adjust stance until it doesn't hurt.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm

If you bottomed out, your front squat is deep enough.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri May 03, 2019 3:44 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm The back angle looked good. You can see the leg drive followed by the hips.

The first rep is harder because you aren't getting tight enough before the first pull. Your body is naturally going to be tenser going into subsequent reps.
Cool! Thanks again! I'll work on tightness... that's going to be an overall theme for my training I think.

I'll be careful with the sumo stuff. Last time I messed with them I started very narrow and worked my way out. At the time I blamed sumo, but the pain was likely from #voluntary hardship grinding away at LP coupled with sloppy, heavy, grindy squats.
Whatever I was doing was really overworking some little muscles in there. If I bomb into the hole and let my hips kick back on a few heavy sets, the pain starts up again.
chrisd wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm If you bottomed out, your front squat is deep enough.
I guess I should give up on full cleans then. It's bottomed out, I just wondered if there was something I could do to squeeze out some more depth without rounding my back. I will keep doing what I'm doing for now then!
Thank you!

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm

chrisd wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm If you bottomed out, your front squat is deep enough.
I guess I should give up on full cleans then. It's bottomed out, I just wondered if there was something I could do to squeeze out some more depth without rounding my back. I will keep doing what I'm doing for now then!
Thank you!
They don't judge depth in weightlifting.