Stiff Legged Dreadlifts

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

mouse

Stiff Legged Dreadlifts

Post by mouse » Thu May 16, 2019 4:12 pm

First time messing around with these tonight... first time on purpose at least. Would love some input...

Two part post:

1). How do these look for SLDLs? I definately wasn't feeling much drive from the legs, but maybe I can do something better... sorry for the choppy first half... for some reason the editor does that...

2) Wasn't really sure about load and rep range, so I was just playing with these tonight. I loaded them pretty close to what I was doing with RDLs, and played with 6's and 8's. Pretty sure I like these way more than RDLs... I'll be doing medium ish axle deads on Tuesdays, and heavier conventional deads on Saturdays, so would you keep these around this range for 8s? Feel free to opine...

mbasic

Re: Stiff Legged Dreadlifts

Post by mbasic » Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 pm

these look fine to me.

yeah, your not going to have any leg drive off the floor really, they'd be more of a regular deadlift then.

back seems to be extended well from what I can see/infer with this view. they're fine

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 pm back seems to be extended well from what I can see/infer with this view. they're fine
Probably the first time anyone has ever said this to me...

Thank you...

*tear*

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 pm

well ... from the front view it looks ok, considering its a SLDL and all that. Those can be a bitch for some people.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am

I generally do SLDL from the top - might be an idea for a variation in future.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 am

This is now the second conversation on SLDL's thats making me think I need to post a formcheck for my deadlift.
I am very longlimbed and my squat sucks, relatively my deadlift is pretty good. Nothing like the numbers that others here put up but its always been well over 100 lbs more than my squat. So up until now I didn't feel the need to do a formcheck.
When I look at an SLDL it looks to me to be how I deadlift.
I don't know if its my untrained eye just not seeing the difference between a SLDL and a regular DL. Is the difference pretty subtle?
Or maybe is it that people with long arms and legs DL looks like, or is more like, a SLDL?

ETA: Started my own thread so as not to derail this one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2715
Last edited by Ragholmes on Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

Agree with mbasic, looks fine.

I too have been considering SLDL as my supplementary pull rather than RDLs recently...

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am

Come on guys, how can you possibly say anything about back form from this angle?

A green/white light doesnt help the OP when its not due to judging the actual form.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 am

Ragholmes wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 am I don't know if its my untrained eye just not seeing the difference between a SLDL and a regular DL. Is the difference pretty subtle?
Or maybe is it that people with long arms and legs DL looks like, or is more like, a SLDL?
That's actually why I posted it. To me this doesn't look too far off from a regular deadlift to me.
Marenghi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am Come on guys, how can you possibly say anything about back form from this angle?
To be faiiiiiir even at this angle I can judge when my back is decent... and it is here. If I threw a bunch of weight on you'd see way way more of my upper back as I tend to round over a lot...

I know it's not the best angle, but there is a ton of crap in the way that I was too lazy to move (frame, tires, etc)

quark

Post by quark » Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am

I had thought that for a conventional deadlift, the front of your knees should be out as far as the front of your elbows. For a SLDL, your legs should be significantly straighter.

- not someone who actually knows

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am

Marenghi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am Come on guys, how can you possibly say anything about back form from this angle?

A green/white light doesn't help the OP when its not due to judging the actual form.
yeah, I only mentioned the thing about the sub-optimal film angle in two separate posts.

That said, you can sorta "just tell" sometimes....if his lower back bulged up considerably right from the get go, you could actually see it over his left shoulder a bit.

You can see what a severely rounded back WOULD/MIGHT look like BEFORE his gets set/takes breath.
He THEN sets his back, and pulls....and he back doesn't spring back into the previously rounded pre-set position.
So yeah you can kinda sorta tell even from here.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri May 17, 2019 11:20 am

@mouse Have you just slid the knee sleeves down after doing squats or something, or have you put them on specifically for this lift to protect your shins?
I have thought about doing this but have been worried it would wear on the sleeves

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Ragholmes wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:20 am @mouse Have you just slid the knee sleeves down after doing squats or something, or have you put them on specifically for this lift to protect your shins?
I have thought about doing this but have been worried it would wear on the sleeves
I was doing axle work before this but yes, typically I have sleeves on for anything that isn't a deadlift. I used to take them all the way off but then one day I got lazy, and found that I liked it... plus I didn't have to change my socks...

No extra wear from what I can tell so far and I've been doing it for a couple months now I think...

Marenghi

Post by Marenghi » Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm

If youre sure about the form yourself and reject suggestions for better material to judge - I wonder why you opened a thread, posting a video, asking others. Dont you think that defeats the purpose?

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Marenghi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm If youre sure about the form yourself and reject suggestions for better material to judge - I wonder why you opened a thread, posting a video, asking others. Dont you think that defeats the purpose?
Because even though I could tell my back wasn't total crap I was asking if overall these looked "correct" for a movement I wasn't really familiar with?

In fact I covered it when I responded to Ragholmes, they looked closer to my conventional deadlift than I expected them to and I wanted to make sure I wasn't half assing it. I guess I was wondering if someone would have immediately said "Dude your knees are way too forward and etc etc".

I wasn't sure of much at all, and I didn't reject anything...

So chill.

quark

Post by quark » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

quark wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am I had thought that for a conventional deadlift, the front of your knees should be out as far as the front of your elbows. For a SLDL, your legs should be significantly straighter.

BBM also says your knees should be behind your elbows:

"The foot position and grip are the same as conventional DL. However the deadlift set-up is altered for the SLDL as you do NOT bring your shins forward to meet the bar. Your hips stay up, shins fairly vertical, and your knees will be behind your elbows."

--From their latest newsletter.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 am

quark wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am
quark wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am I had thought that for a conventional deadlift, the front of your knees should be out as far as the front of your elbows. For a SLDL, your legs should be significantly straighter.

BBM also says your knees should be behind your elbows:

"The foot position and grip are the same as conventional DL. However the deadlift set-up is altered for the SLDL as you do NOT bring your shins forward to meet the bar. Your hips stay up, shins fairly vertical, and your knees will be behind your elbows."

--From their latest newsletter.
I actually just read the same newsletter... and this part confuses me...
Leah wrote:Many people will want to stand on mats or plates to raise you, the lifter, and not the plates. Standing on something about 2 inches or so is usually good.
Wha? Since when is an SLDL also from a deficit? Did I miss something?

olekto

Post by olekto » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

mouse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 am
Leah wrote:Many people will want to stand on mats or plates to raise you, the lifter, and not the plates. Standing on something about 2 inches or so is usually good.
I also wondered about that. Never seen/heard it used that way.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 am

olekto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am
mouse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 am
I also wondered about that. Never seen/heard it used that way.
I kinda wonder if it was an accidental copy/paste thing, or maybe she just had deficits on the brain when she was writing it...

@Leah, HALP lol

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Stiff-Legs are often done off a platform, especially for Bodybuilding purposes (extra Hamstring stretch)...I've done them down to the top of my feet before.