Tracking body weight

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

BigE

Tracking body weight

Post by BigE » Sun May 19, 2019 12:54 pm

How OCD are you about tracking your body weight?

I check mine first thing in the morning before intake, post pee and poo, and when I don’t drink the night before.

My wife has some Bluetooth scale that connects to my phone. The fancy features on it are shit, but the scale seems decent.

Cellist

Re: Tracking body weight

Post by Cellist » Sun May 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Every morning and enter in the happy scale app to smooth data.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 pm

I weigh every morning after peeing (I don't poop until a bit later) and enter it into Libra to smooth it.

I don't put too much stock into an individual measurement, but the normal time series smoothing calculations (exponentially weighted moving averages or whatever else) typically pick up trends better with more complete data. I'm not going to freak out if I can't measure one day, but it is really easy and quick.

The weight tracking stuff is cool for losing weight, but seems even more useful when you're trying to maintain weight. I liked how it was explained in John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet"

acciosnacks

Post by acciosnacks » Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am

I also weigh every morning after I pee, and also use Happy Scale. I like the charts and weight trends. I have used it with both losing and maintaining weight, the moving average it gives it very helpful to me when maintaining.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am

Fzt wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 pm I liked how it was explained in John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet"
Thanks for that reference. I never heard of that, but it was fun to read.

alek

Post by alek » Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm

I weigh and tape my umbilicus every morning after pooping and before eating or drinking anything. I record this in a Google Sheet and track daily and 7-day avg; I have some pretty pictures of the data. It's nice for tracking trends to make adjustments.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm

@Cellist Obviously it isn't a guide to eating correctly, but I have a background in control systems, so it just made a lot of sense to me. I don't really like tracking food, and it is good to have a concrete plan for things not to get too far out of control without having to do that.