Velocity Based Training

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Re: Velocity Based Training

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:21 pmBench? Like where you lie on your back, remove a hovering mass from it's place of rest, lower it to your chest, then return it to its place of hovering-rest?

This is something humans endeavor to be good at?
I guess so. This guy was pretty stoked about whatever this was:

Said he'd been thinking about it since he was 13, way back when. Weird.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:15 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pmSaid he'd been thinking about it since he was 13, way back when. Weird.
He seems...not quite right or something.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:46 pm

bump

I just got my new S4L (now Vitruve) and plan to give this another go. I never fully committed to using the old device. However, I can see how it would be great for HVLF stuff. I still have my velocity force curves for bench and squat. However, I never really developed a good one for deadlift. Maybe I will just take a 7RM weight and measure reps with an AMRAP to an @8 cap. Any singles above @8 are just too taxing.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:45 am

I did a spoto ARMAP yesterday. I'm going to assume the my velocities on spoto are close enough to comp bench. I basically measured each rep assigning an RIR/RPE to it. I then converted the RPE to a percentage of 1RM using the standard table. Given the velocity/intensities, I ran a regression analysis to develop a 2 degree polynomial equations. Because the data starts at 78%, I'm not sure how useful the equation is for low intensity work. However, it is good enough to tell me when I hit a 5-6 RPE on each set.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:46 am

JohnHelton wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:45 am I did a spoto ARMAP yesterday. I'm going to assume the my velocities on spoto are close enough to comp bench. I basically measured each rep assigning an RIR/RPE to it. I then converted the RPE to a percentage of 1RM using the standard table. Given the velocity/intensities, I ran a regression analysis to develop a 2 degree polynomial equations. Because the data starts at 78%, I'm not sure how useful the equation is for low intensity work. However, it is good enough to tell me when I hit a 5-6 RPE on each set.
FWIW this is exactly what I did for Squats and Bench (haven't tested max Deadlift in a long while so don' have data, or need, for Deadlifts, though I have do have spots for the input). Snatch, Clean, and Jerk were fitted to first order regressions, and using peak velocities. Data seemed to be close to linear about about 80%, but the quadratic fit maintained that well, and also fit lower percentages to speed down to like 50%.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Bryce covers:
  • What Velocity Based Training is
  • Why might you use it
  • What measuring devices are available and how to set them up
  • How to interpret and utilize the data

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:04 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:46 pm bump

I just got my new S4L (now Vitruve) and plan to give this another go. I never fully committed to using the old device. However, I can see how it would be great for HVLF stuff. I still have my velocity force curves for bench and squat. However, I never really developed a good one for deadlift. Maybe I will just take a 7RM weight and measure reps with an AMRAP to an @8 cap. Any singles above @8 are just too taxing.
I finally caved and splurged for a Tendo unit. Not quite sure how I'm going to use it yet, but I have a couple of ideas I'm testing out.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:34 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:04 pm
JohnHelton wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:46 pm bump

I finally caved and splurged for a Tendo unit. Not quite sure how I'm going to use it yet, but I have a couple of ideas I'm testing out.
I will be very interested in what you work out. I'm in between programs right now and have been kicking around the idea of focusing on VBT for squat and bench.