Pressure Cooker

Post by gtl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Got one as a wedding gift

Any recipes, tips, etc?

cwd

Re: Pressure Cooker

Post by cwd » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 pm

You can cook beans real fast from dry.
You can get home-canned tomatoes hot enough to kill the salmonella, fast enough to not overcook the tomatoes.

If you overfill them so that the stuff bubbles up and clogs the pressure-relief valve, the pressure inside can build up to the point that the lid-flanges fail, embedding the lid in your kitchen ceiling and spreading tomatoes and broken glass all over the stove.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Short ribs.

Short ribs all the time.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm Short ribs.

Short ribs all the time.
Melissa Clark has a new cookbook on some trendy pressure / slow cooker called and instapot or something like that. There are some samples in the NYTimes. . . . I'm not usually in that kind of hurry though. And she says some questionable thing. . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/dini ... cipes.html

Beans, though, ya. Dried to soft in a hurry.

My wife made some Korean dish with short ribs in the slow cooker a few times. Not the pressure cooker.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm Short ribs.

Short ribs all the time.
Recipe?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Root wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pmRecipe?
I just wing it using a reliable process:

- sear 3-4 pounds of short ribs

- pull the seared meat out and brown your favorite aromatics

- add ~1/2 cup wine and reduce (maybe by half-ish?)

- add about 1.5 cups broth and fresh herbs

- make sure you get the liquid to boil THEN cover. Once at full pressure cook 35-40 mins. Pull off heat & let sit 15 minutes before removing lid (iow: let the pressure drop with lid on)

Short ribs in less than an hour. Amazing. And I actually prefer this method to slow cooking.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 pm

I've got an instapot and an All American pressure canner. Hanley ain't messing with the short ribs. You can also make absolutely amazing pulled pork in an hour. Same thing for stews, chili, or anything else that you would normally dump in a crockpot.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Can somebody explain to me why you'd ever use a slow cooker? They have two or 3 temp settings at sorta useless temps and you can't pre-sear in them.

Why not just use a dutch oven...in an oven?

Culican

Post by Culican » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 am

I use mine everyday, to make hard cooked eggs. Shells just fall off.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/crac ... re-cooker/

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:09 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm
Root wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pmRecipe?
I just wing it using a reliable process:

- sear 3-4 pounds of short ribs

- pull the seared meat out and brown your favorite aromatics

- add ~1/2 cup wine and reduce (maybe by half-ish?)

- add about 1.5 cups broth and fresh herbs

- make sure you get the liquid to boil THEN cover. Once at full pressure cook 35-40 mins. Pull off heat & let sit 15 minutes before removing lid (iow: let the pressure drop with lid on)

Short ribs in less than an hour. Amazing. And I actually prefer this method to slow cooking.
Making this today. Looking forward to it.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 pm Can somebody explain to me why you'd ever use a slow cooker? They have two or 3 temp settings at sorta useless temps and you can't pre-sear in them.

Why not just use a dutch oven...in an oven?
I'm not sure if it's actually safer or not, but if I want to slow cook something when I'm not going to be home the whole time I'll opt for the slow cooker. If I'll be home then I prefer the dutch oven.

My in-laws don't have AC, so in the summer my mother-in-law will plug the crock pot in outside rather than use the oven.

Those are about the only instances I can come up with.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am I'm not sure if it's actually safer or not, but if I want to slow cook something when I'm not going to be home the whole time I'll opt for the slow cooker. If I'll be home then I prefer the dutch oven.
This. I'm not going to leave my oven on for 9 hours while I am not home. My slow cooker will "cook" for the specified time, then just keep whatever warm until I get home.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 am I'm not going to leave my oven on for 9 hours while I am not home
Fuck yourself Allentown.

Enjoy your shitty crock-pot food.

I think your assumption about the relative safety of oven vs. crock-pot is also fucked.

Fuck yourself again, Allentown.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Man you trying to get this page blocked by my work filter? I fully accept my stew might be worse in a slow cooker than in my dutch oven. But if it is going to take more than two hours or less than 9, and I want it on a weekday, it's not going in the oven. I'm not going to drive home at 2 to sear a roast then put it in the oven and drive back to work.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Delicious. Followed Hanley's directions, and then served with steamed broccoli and a basil parmesan polenta. Absolutely delicious. Will experiment with different sauces next time.

Seared short ribs waiting on the wine to reduce.

Just finished cooking

Plated. The meat was just falling off the bone, and was so incredibly tender.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Looks delicious. I had polenta with a fricassee last night. I like it steamed, but have you tried roasting the broccoli with just some olive oil, salt, and pepper? Cauliflower roasts really well too. 425 for 20+ minutes. . . .

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Here's a version from Cook's Illustrated. They charged my card without giving me a heads up, so here's a recipe from behind their paywall.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and smashed
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
4 scallions, white parts chopped coarse, green parts sliced thin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 (8-ounce) boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

###

INSTRUCTIONS
SERVES 6
1. BUILD FLAVOR: Cook oil, garlic, and ginger in pressure-cooker pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, scallion whites, and cayenne, then add beef.

2. HIGH PRESSURE FOR 35 MINUTES: Lock pressure-cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 35 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure.

3. NATURALLY RELEASE PRESSURE: Remove pot from heat and allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.

4. BEFORE SERVING: Transfer short ribs to platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest while finishing sauce. Strain sauce into fat separator, let sit 5 minutes, then pour defatted sauce into small bowl. Stir scallion greens and cilantro leaves into sauce and serve with ribs.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 pm Here's a version from Cook's Illustrated. They charged my card without giving me a heads up, so here's a recipe from behind their paywall.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and smashed
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
4 scallions, white parts chopped coarse, green parts sliced thin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 (8-ounce) boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

###

INSTRUCTIONS
SERVES 6
1. BUILD FLAVOR: Cook oil, garlic, and ginger in pressure-cooker pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, scallion whites, and cayenne, then add beef.

2. HIGH PRESSURE FOR 35 MINUTES: Lock pressure-cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 35 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure.

3. NATURALLY RELEASE PRESSURE: Remove pot from heat and allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.

4. BEFORE SERVING: Transfer short ribs to platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest while finishing sauce. Strain sauce into fat separator, let sit 5 minutes, then pour defatted sauce into small bowl. Stir scallion greens and cilantro leaves into sauce and serve with ribs.
I would add a step 0 here. Brown the shit out of the short ribs before you put them in. It will take 10-15 minutes to get them brown on 4 sides. It will be far better. At least get one side nice and brown. Don't try to brown them with garlic (it will burn) or hosion (it too will burn) . Deal with that next.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Agree, smuts

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pmAgree, smuts
Seconded. I seared my short ribs before doing the wine reduction today. Flavor was fantastic. Don't think the umami would have been the same without it