Engage Bear Mode, or... Who is on a bulk?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

alek

Engage Bear Mode, or... Who is on a bulk?

Post by alek » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:08 pm

The "Who is on a cut?" thread has been a great inspiration and read for cutting. I've been at essentially maintenance for a couple months, and it's getting kind of boring. I'm not interesting in cutting again right now--yeah, I know it's just starting to be summer--and I'd like to get a bit bigger and stronger for the family Halloween costume (See viewtopic.php?p=171279#p171279 for more info if interested).

So I'm thinking of doing a slow, small bulk until September 1 and then cut to October 1. On June 1, my 7-day average weight was 192.8; my 7-day umbilicus was 34.5", and my 7-day bodyfat % was 14.97. Not sure how much weight to gain as that's only 3 months to gain, but I'd like to be around 198 with <35" umbilicus and around 15% bodyfat going into October.

I've been tracking weight and umbilicus measurement everyday, but I really loathe tracking macros/calories in general. I've had pretty good success with cutting and maintaining using this approach, so I'll try it for bulking as well to start.

I'll probably posting progress biweekly or monthly, and maybe some nudes if I'm not the only one posting to this thread.

If anyone else is fatfucking themselves bulking, then please commiserate.

If anyone has any good resources for bulking without going full bloatlord, please share. I haven't looked a whole lot yet as I decided about 30 minutes ago that I'm doing this; if I find anything good, I'll share.

Good luck with your bulking!

TheCheat

Re: Engage Bear Mode, or... Who is on a bulk?

Post by TheCheat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Bulking's awesome. Screwed myself over for years by being too scared of putting on fat and convincing myself I could 'recomp'.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm

I ate a 6 lb burrito recently, does that count?

alek

Post by alek » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:53 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm I ate a 6 lb burrito recently, does that count?
Not sure. Did you have a subsequent 6 lb poop?

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm about to start a bulk, my 2nd attempt at slow bulking.

My first try last November ran headlong into Thanksgiving and Christmas. It turns out, when I start obeying my hunger in a house full of seasonal treats, and after a long cut, I gain more than 1 lb per week. That's not a slow bulk!

So I've just finished undoing that, and am maintaining for another week or two before trying to gain 0.5 lbs/week for a few months. This time for sure.

[edit to add] -- this time I will *not* grow a beard. Shaving is emotionally connected to cleanliness and discipline for me. Being unshaven tends to make me say "what the hell" a lot.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm I ate a 6 lb burrito recently, does that count?
Nice appetizer.

I'm way too fat to bulk, but If I cut now, I'll be skinny fat again by the end of summer. My current plan is to bulk up to 108kg over the next 4 months, then do a RFL type mini cut in october followed by another massing phase and then a slow cut from march through june. I mainly want to put on some size on my upper body before dropping back down to 88-90kg.

Only lift I care about at the moment is bench, though I try to squat as much as I can atm in order to earn every kilo on the scale, which isn't easy when losing weight at 3200kcal.

Although it is also a blessing. With an energy expenditure that high it's really friggin' easy to lose massive amounts of weight in a short time. Based on this and the fact that body composition and strength don't change at all while keeping BW the same, the long term plan after those next 12 months is cutting to 88kg, then massing to 93-ish over 4-5 months and repeat.

Edit: In order to go full bear mode, I will not shave my back.

CtMcBride

Post by CtMcBride » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 pm

I have tentative bulking plans. Lifting in the 205s on June 29, but after that it looks like the road back to 231. Doubt I'll get there all in one go.

I was losing weight on 2600 calories (down to 202), so I've got to stabilize over the next couple weeks before the meet. After that, plan is to keep protein in the 200-225 range, keep fats lowish, and add calories primarily through carbs. Waist circumference will be the trigger for killing the bulk. I'm down around 34.5" now and don't want to get back above 37. Would ultimately like to be back down around 32/33.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Found this interesting. I'm on a bit of a death cut (~2000 kcal/day), but good luck to all of you with your bulks

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:32 am

This was posted in the cut thread, but I figured folks would want to see it here.

Here's another one.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:51 am

Too fat to bulk intentionally, but I did stop holding on to this (somewhat) absurd notion that I had to be under 242 in the 242/275's because everyone I compete against is already bigger than me... at least that's what I tell myself when I eat too much like an asshole.

My belly's future is in the balance depending on how the rest of the year goes for me. If I podium in either July or October and decide I actually want to get ripped apart at Nats? Well I'll hold on to it. If things go south for me and I know I probably won't compete again until Spring? Well then I may think about trimming down some...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:10 am

I've been maintaining/recomping for a long time, and am at that point of realizing i need to do a big cut and then actually bulk.

I have a really good idea of where my maintenence calories are, so i'll aim high and track monthly weight gain.

This gives calorie amounts (and macros) for cut, maintenence, and bulk.
I'll ignore the overall macros, since i eat differently.
https://www.jtsstrength.com/optimal-nut ... rformance/

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 am

I am definitely bulking now. It is more fun than cutting.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 am I am definitely bulking now. It is more fun than cutting.
I believe it! But I think cutting was... at least more interesting if not more fun than maintenance. The goal of "Okay, just try to stay the same weight over the long haul" lacked appeal. I think it'll be more satisfying to see the weight go up at a controlled (I hope I hope I hope.) pace.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 pm

@alek, I've kind of thrown controlled out the window. I'm not trying to stuff myself. I'm just not generally denying myself. I really think trying to maintain a weight versus bulking and then cutting is a mistake if you want to get as strong as possible. That said, I think maintaining a more constant weight is better for your health. However, at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of something. Maybe I can be as strong as possible when that happens.

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 pm

I have been bulking for a couple of months now and like John I've kinda thrown controlled out the window too. I just couldn't do it.

I've gained a heap of weight pretty quick but unlike every other time I've tried to 'lean gain' (where I usually chicken out pretty early) I've actually stuck with it and tried not to let my rapidly enlarging belly bother me. And the results in terms of strength (and I think, lean mass) gains this time have been pretty spectacular. Although coming from a pretty low base, to be fair, it's been far and away the most productive training I've ever had - just like noob gains all over again.

Shame it's gotta end pretty soon because a) I'm injured and b) I've hit the weight ceiling I wanted, but the experience has been positive enough that I've scared away some of my insecurities about weight gain and I'm planning on a quick mini cut soon before trying to gain a bit more.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 am

BenM wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 pmI have been bulking for a couple of months now and like John I've kinda thrown controlled out the window too. I just couldn't do it.
I hesitate to dampen your enthusiasm with the progress you're making, but even if it's working well for you, that's probably not the best mindset to endorse.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 am

I'm a couple weeks into a bulk after a 10 lb cut and then a few weeks at maintenance. I'm 225 now, the plan is to do bulking/maintenance phases (gain rate of ~2 lbs/month) to slowly fill out the 242 weight class. In the past I've tracked macros for cutting and maintenance, but just protein and bodyweight during bulks. This works well for me, and the strategy of me basically eating whatever I want (within reason) without purposefully cramming food down my gullet has resulted in weight gain of ~0.5lbs/week. I've tried cutting while just tracking protein and BW but there just wasn't enough accountability for it to work.

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 am
BenM wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 pmI have been bulking for a couple of months now and like John I've kinda thrown controlled out the window too. I just couldn't do it.
I hesitate to dampen your enthusiasm with the progress you're making, but even if it's working well for you, that's probably not the best mindset to endorse.
It definitely wasn't the plan when I started, that's for sure. But psychologically I've struggled after permacutting and restricting weight for years, once the brakes came off there was no stopping me.

I definitely need to practice controlled bulking more to get better at it, same as dieting down...

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am

I'm not intentionally bulking, I'm trying to maintain a healthy weight after cutting about 5-10 LBS too low over the winter. But motherfucker, if party size bags of Doritos aren't my downfall, I don't know what it. Went from 139 to 155 in the past 3 months or so at around 3000 cal a day, mostly clean except for said Doritos. Unfortunately, I got my beach body in February and I'm going to the actual beach in July. After experiencing the beach body I can say fuck that. Feeling like shit doesn't compensate for looking pretty good for strangers on the beach while I'm on vacation.

Anyone else feel like a slow bulk is impossible? I feel like I put 10 lbs on in no time without trying.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:37 am

MPhelps wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am Anyone else feel like a slow bulk is impossible? I feel like I put 10 lbs on in no time without trying.
No doubt. I'm putting on weight so fast right now without trying. Maybe it is because usually I am just constantly trying to force my weight down. Maybe all this lifting has my body craving a larger size. I don't know, but I'm going to see where it takes me.