SCOTUS Decisions

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

SCOTUS Decisions

Post by aurelius » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am

Two Whoppers came down today. Both 5-4 decisions.

SCOTUS regarding the citizenship question on the census: Not so fast, Donny!
SCOTUS regarding modern gerrymandering: What can the judiciary to do? Political issues require political solutions.

I'm disappointed in the gerrymandering decision. It is likely a "very good" judicial decision. Robert's writes a lot of "very good" judicial decisions. But SCOTUS had an opportunity to end the polarization of politics in the US and failed to do it. It's not like SCOTUS hasn't overreached before on lesser issues...

I put "very good" in quotes. I have not read the majority decision.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: SCOTUS Decisions

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 am

I'm wondering what that means for me. Voters passed a bill requiring districts to be re-drawn by an independent panel, then the state legislature was just like "hahaha, yeah right, you thought you got a say in government? Yeah, no, idiots!"

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:41 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 am I'm wondering what that means for me. Voters passed a bill requiring districts to be re-drawn by an independent panel, then the state legislature was just like "hahaha, yeah right, you thought you got a say in government? Yeah, no, idiots!"
What State was that?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:55 am

Is the Location not displayed for everyone? MI.
Anyways, I spent 3 seconds looking for an answer to my question, and apparently the voter-passed bill will remain in effect, and the commission will be redrawing districts. Eventually.

quark

Post by quark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 am

The idea that a minority of the population of a state gets to elect a majority or an overwhelming majority of the legislators for that state is abhorrent to the ideas of democracy and one person one vote.

How is there supposed to be a political solution? The exact problem is that a majority of the voters are unable to exert control.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:32 am

quark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 am The idea that a minority of the population of a state gets to elect a majority or an overwhelming majority of the legislators for that state is abhorrent to the ideas of democracy and one person one vote.

How is there supposed to be a political solution? The exact problem is that a majority of the voters are unable to exert control.
You have thusly proven yourself to be more intelligent than the majority of the SCOTUS.
Though I kind of see the point that it isn't a judicial issue. It seems that the majority could still pass a bill requiring independent commissions to draw districts, though Retubs have also been doing their best to make sure the majority are unable to get proposals on ballots or if the ballot passes just flat out ignoring or reversing it, so...
Last edited by Allentown on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am

Relevant:

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

Person: "My voting rights are being violated!"
SCOTUS: "It does seem like they are. You need to vote your way out of that pickle."
Person: "..."

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 am

George Washington:
That these Powers (as the appointment of all Rulers will forever arise from, and, at short stated intervals, recur to the free suffrage of the People) are so distributed among the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches, into which the general Government is arranged, that it can never be in danger of degenerating into a monarcchy, an Oligarchy, an Aristocracy, or any other despotic or oppressive form; so long as there shall remain any virtue in the body of the People. (Bold mine)
https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 06-02-0079

James Madison:
To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without any virtue in the people, is a chimerical idea. If there be sufficient virtue and intelligence in the community, it will be exercised in the selection of these men. So that we do not depend on their virtue, or put confidence in our rulers, but in the people who are to choose them.
https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 11-02-0101

My belief is that we have strayed from virtue as a people and this democracy/republic is doomed.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am Person: "My voting rights are being violated!"
SCOTUS: "It does seem like they are. You need to vote your way out of that pickle."
Person: "..."
This got a smile. That actually appears to be what Roberts is saying.

Chief Justice John Roberts said for the majority that the districting plans “are highly partisan by any measure.” But he said courts are the wrong place to settle these disputes.

Reenactment of SCOTUS reading the decision:

batherfurner

Post by batherfurner » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Are there any cases where the Court has struck down gerrymanders based on partisan concerns?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:22 pm

The Chad Gorsuch vs. The Virgin Kavanaugh

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/06/opin ... dants/amp/

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm

I would have thought something in the 14th Amendment could sort out gerrymandering. Surely if from the 14th you can get, "sorry, you can't stop black kids from going to white schools" you can also get, "one citizen, one vote equal in weight to others"?

Though perhaps the current court is more Dredd Scott than Brown vs Board of Education?

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:41 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am But SCOTUS had an opportunity to end the polarization of politics in the US and failed to do it.
How? How are they going to specifically define what is acceptable districting?
CamLeslie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 am George Washington:
That these Powers (as the appointment of all Rulers will forever arise from, and, at short stated intervals, recur to the free suffrage of the People) are so distributed among the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches, into which the general Government is arranged, that it can never be in danger of degenerating into a monarcchy, an Oligarchy, an Aristocracy, or any other despotic or oppressive form; so long as there shall remain any virtue in the body of the People. (Bold mine)
https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 06-02-0079
We already live in an oligarchy, that 95% of you smoothbrains are too stupid to acknowledge. So that failed.
James Madison:
To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without any virtue in the people, is a chimerical idea. If there be sufficient virtue and intelligence in the community, it will be exercised in the selection of these men. So that we do not depend on their virtue, or put confidence in our rulers, but in the people who are to choose them.
https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 11-02-0101
If the "people" are that virtuous, why do they need government to tell them how to act?

quark

Post by quark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm

There are proposed definitions of acceptable/unacceptable districting in the amicus briefs https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/ ... cus-briefs
KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm I would have thought something in the 14th Amendment could sort out gerrymandering. Surely if from the 14th you can get, "sorry, you can't stop black kids from going to white schools" you can also get, "one citizen, one vote equal in weight to others"?

Though perhaps the current court is more Dredd Scott than Brown vs Board of Education?
If they wanted to strike it down, they could have found plenty of support in the 1st and 14th Amendments and in precedent. However, extreme gerrymandering is currently very helpful for Republicans and five justices generally are extreme Republican partisans. Roberts is sometimes a bit more reasonable as he seems to have have some concern for the Court's (and his own) reputation.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 pm

quark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pmHowever, extreme gerrymandering is currently very helpful for Republicans and five justices generally are extreme Republican partisans.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAH WE ONLY LOSE CUZ THE REFS ARE BIASED

Sorry, that complaining only works if you're hating on Boston or LeBron. Or Cindy Crysby.

quark

Post by quark » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 am

You don't follow the Supreme Court and the recent dynamics of appointments very closely, do you?

Did you somehow believe Trump campaigning with he would appoint Supreme Court justices to overturn Roe v. Wade meant he would appoint neutral arbiters?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:49 am

quark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm and five justices generally are extreme Republican partisans. Roberts is sometimes a bit more reasonable as he seems to have have some concern for the Court's (and his own) reputation.
You don't follow the Supreme Court and the recent dynamics of appointments very closely, do you?
Do you?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am
I'm disappointed in the gerrymandering decision. It is likely a "very good" judicial decision. Robert's writes a lot of "very good" judicial decisions. But SCOTUS had an opportunity to end the polarization of politics in the US and failed to do it. It's not like SCOTUS hasn't overreached before on lesser issues...

I put "very good" in quotes. I have not read the majority decision.
I haven't read the decisions either, and I probably won't get a chance to until this weekend. I'm not a big fan of the Court's political question doctrine. It is not very rigorously applied, and seems to be more of a fall back when they don't want to address an issue. I have no problem with the court having such a doctrine in general, just the way it is used currently is a little haphazard.

Roberts writes good decisions on technical cases, but on big cases that are public, tends to shy away from controversy, and will write decisions that try to keep the Court from overturning legislation or otherwise making a big splash. (e.g., NFIB v Sebelius - none of the parties even argued that the individual mandate was a tax - textbook example of Roberts employing a saving construction).

quark

Post by quark » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:12 am

omaniphil wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:49 am
quark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm and five justices generally are extreme Republican partisans. Roberts is sometimes a bit more reasonable as he seems to have have some concern for the Court's (and his own) reputation.
Do you?
I do. Note the use of "generally" in my post, that criminal law cases can make for strange bedfellows and that there are many libertarian types who don't like broad governmental criminal powers. Roberts in the census case was much more surprising.