NFL Chatter

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

murphyreedus

Re: NFL Chatter

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:36 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:01 pm I'm pulling for a Rams/Bengals SB now. I don't need to watch Captain Truckerhat and Trent Dilfer Jimmy G make another SB, and I'd rather root for the underdog feel-good story over seeing the Chefs in it once again.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 am

"Commanders" is a dumb name. They should have stuck with WFT. And with their throwback helmets with no logo, just player numbers. Those were cool.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:57 pm

We gonna do the Flores suit?

Having a tough time with the SB. Steelers fan so fuck the Bengals. But respect the fuck out of Burrow. But Stafford also a good story. But I loathe OBJ and LA is a shit football town and Cincy deserves to get one. Dunno. Prob going Rams. Because fuck the Bengals.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:40 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:57 pm We gonna do the Flores suit?
I don't get the suit against the NFL. Teams hire coaches, not the NFL. The NFL has rules in place just to prevent this lawsuit. The entire point of the Rooney rule is to insulate the NFL NOT hire black coaches. If teams chose to follow the letter, but not the spirit, of the rule; that is on them. I think Flores will lose in court. Flores will likely go back to work for Belichick and get another head coaching job down the road. This could be a move to embarrass a few people that embarrassed him.

Seems likes he has a wrongful firing case against the Dolphins. And paying the coach to lose would seem to run afoul of fairness. Isn't Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame for betting on his own team to win?

I'd like to see Stafford with a Superbowl win. He payed his dues playing for the pussy cats for a decade.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:37 pm

aurelius wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:40 pm
I don't get the suit against the NFL. Teams hire coaches, not the NFL. The NFL has rules in place just to prevent this lawsuit. The entire point of the Rooney rule is to insulate the NFL NOT hire black coaches. If teams chose to follow the letter, but not the spirit, of the rule; that is on them. I think Flores will lose in court. Flores will likely go back to work for Belichick and get another head coaching job down the road. This could be a move to embarrass a few people that embarrassed him.

Seems likes he has a wrongful firing case against the Dolphins. And paying the coach to lose would seem to run afoul of fairness. Isn't Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame for betting on his own team to win?

I'd like to see Stafford with a Superbowl win. He payed his dues playing for the pussy cats for a decade.
Being a lawyer, and in this general space too, I should know better than to comment on anything that I haven’t read. That said, 58 pages in my free time, gtfo.

That said, I too do not get it.

The Dolphins shit is easy. If in fact he was discharged for not playing ball with unethical (and perhaps illegal) activity, he may have a suit for wrongful termination, although presumably that claim would be litigated under FL law, which may or may not recognize the cause of action in the absence of an actual statutory violation. In any event, his race has nothing to do with it.

The Broncos/Giants isn’t as obvious, and I’ll address it with the Giants situation, with which I’m more familiar. If things proceeded as Flores claims, then the Giants violated the spirit of the Rooney rule and are huge pricks besides. However, it doesn’t follow from that, that their decision to hire Daboll over Flores had anything to do with either man’s race. My assumption is that Daboll got the nod because he’s the new GM’s boy, and because the Giants’ offense was such a fucking trainwreck (not that their defense lit the world on fire, but comparatively).

I do not think Flores is full of shit, at all. However, I don’t see what his lawsuit has to do with his race by any legal standard. A publicity / shining a light standard is a different thing of course. I’m curious as to how his counsel advised him.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm

aurelius wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:40 pm

This is obviously outside the football discussion, but being a dirty a player that no one liked and shit person in general is probably the biggest strike against rose, in addition to the gambling of course.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:40 pm

PuddingFace wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pmThis is obviously outside the football discussion, but being a dirty a player that no one liked and shit person in general is probably the biggest strike against rose, in addition to the gambling of course.
Pete Rose got what was comin to him

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 am

asdf wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 am "Commanders" is a dumb name.
A. it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

B. Makes no sense. Like Generals makes no sense. You don't have a Team of commanders; you have one (or a few). Not 55.

C. Its just a big joke at this point.

Maybe they've could polled some indian tribes for an acceptable name, and made it Warriors, Braves (without the racist caricature-figure-logo-guy), etc. .... but then we get into that cultural-appropriation thing.

We have a high school team in my State with the Redskins mascot. Its a rural community, funny enough, sort of close to the Indian Reservation in a relative sense.

They ain't ever changing their name. ("ain't" was specifically used here for effect if you get what I'm sayin' )

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:50 pm

Washington Commanders sounds like a football team from a bad Adam Sandler movie. Should have stuck with WFT, l.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:13 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 am "Commanders" is a dumb name. They should have stuck with WFT. And with their throwback helmets with no logo, just player numbers. Those were cool.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:49 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:13 pm [YouTube: The Resisty]
Hahaha. Perfect.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:53 am

It’s a little late in the week for this, but:

I’m setting the over/under for times this week (last Monday until end of Super Bowl) you hear people misuse or demonstrate a misunderstanding of what the over/under is, at 4.5 times.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am

augeleven wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:53 am It’s a little late in the week for this, but:

I’m setting the over/under for times this week (last Monday until end of Super Bowl) you hear people misuse or demonstrate a misunderstanding of what the over/under is, at 4.5 times.
I don't get it. You don't do something 4.5 times; it'd have to be 4 or 5 times. So I'd say the over/under should be 5.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:26 pm

I sssume people set the over under as a half thing so that there is a clear line if you set it at 5, it could land on 5.
IDK maybe I misunderstand it too. I consume almost no media and don’t talk to anybody, but I can think of at least 3 times I’ve overheard someone mention an over under wager, without reference to what was over what. “What’s the over under on my team winning?” Etc

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:00 pm

alek wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am
augeleven wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:53 am It’s a little late in the week for this, but:

I don't get it. You don't do something 4.5 times; it'd have to be 4 or 5 times. So I'd say the over/under should be 5.
Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday is 5 times!

alek

Post by alek » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:33 pm

augeleven wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:26 pm I sssume people set the over under as a half thing so that there is a clear line if you set it at 5, it could land on 5.
IDK maybe I misunderstand it too. I consume almost no media and don’t talk to anybody, but I can think of at least 3 times I’ve overheard someone mention an over under wager, without reference to what was over what. “What’s the over under on my team winning?” Etc
alek wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 am I know I’m one of the village idiots/class clowns/court jesters around here…

alek

Post by alek » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:34 pm

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:00 pm
alek wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday is 5 times!
All in just one week!

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:37 pm

alek wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:33 pm
augeleven wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:26 pm I sssume people set the over under as a half thing so that there is a clear line if you set it at 5, it could land on 5.
alek wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 am I know I’m one of the village idiots/class clowns/court jesters around here…
homerfadesintobushes.gif

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:37 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:00 pmSunday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday is 5 times!
The Greatest Argument in the History of the Interwebs

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:00 am

Not gonna lie, for a minute there I didn't think LA would pull it off...

But then Cooper Kupp...

Silly me...