NFL Chatter

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mouse

Re: NFL Chatter

Post by mouse » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:36 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:21 pm
mouse wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:22 pm
BostonRugger wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:18 am
BostonRugger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:48 am >Crazy weather.
>Going into December w 7 game win streak.
>Pass ball three times.
>Ride three different running backs.
>Show the advantage of having a big, (sometimes painfully) slow defense.
>Defeat the very fake Buffalo Bills to secure AFC #1 spot and a chokehold on the division.

Downright Belichickian.
Ever have an opinion age really badly?

Happened to me.
No one at work believed me when I said the Pats were fake as shit and destined for a bust down to reality and yet... here we are hahaha...

Buf back on top of the east!
Bill has taught me that it’s wrong, nay sinful to lust for a mobile quarterback. Still, watching Allen repeatedly beat the husk of Jamie Collins on outside contain was broootal.
That man is on a mission to hurdle every defense in the league...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:21 pm

Wow John Madden passes at 85...

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm

My entire childhood has taught me enough not to count my chickens before they hatch but beating up on Belichick 27-3 at the half in the playoffs feels REAAAAAALLLLY GOOOOD GUYS

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm

mouse wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm feels REAAAAAALLLLY GOOOOD GUYS
I don't know what a Bill is, but it feels good to see the Fakeriots get their asses kicked.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 am

Well if you're in to weird stats, and I am when it involves gloating against NE... Buffalo just became the only team to have 7+ TDs, no punts, and no turnovers in a post season game...

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 am

Yep. Cowboys not a good football team. Always next year.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:29 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 am Yep. Cowboys not a good football team. Always next year.

I'll just pull this out again:
murphyreedus wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:15 am
You'll have plenty of:

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 am

That last one is basically me watching the Cowboys offense the last 8 to 9 weeks.

TimF

Post by TimF » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am

I don't watch much football, but grew up a Niners fan. I caught the last 4 min of the game last night and that was a ludicrous display. What was McCarthy thinking sending Prescott up the middle?

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:58 am

TimF wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am I don't watch much football, but grew up a Niners fan. I caught the last 4 min of the game last night and that was a ludicrous display. What was McCarthy thinking sending Prescott up the middle?
The thing about Dallas is they always try to walk it in.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am

TimF wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am I don't watch much football, but grew up a Niners fan. I caught the last 4 min of the game last night and that was a ludicrous display. What was McCarthy thinking sending Prescott up the middle?
Yeah bad play call. But Dallas was on a prayer at that point. Dallas had the ball with under 4 minutes, 3 time outs, and at the 50 yard line. Blew that on uninspired play calls and poor execution at all levels.

Not a good football team.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am
Yeah bad play call. But Dallas was on a prayer at that point. Dallas had the ball with under 4 minutes, 3 time outs, and at the 50 yard line. Blew that on uninspired play calls and poor execution at all levels.

Not a good football team.
I like how that fake punt worked out .... then the sneaky thing with keeping the punt team on the field after the 1st down so the defense couldn't substitute .... and then rush the reg.offense out there last moment .... BUT then get a delay of game after all that (1st & 15).
Like something the Pats would do ....but not fuck it up at the end.
I mean, it worked out on that series in the end (i think) .... but that night, they reeeealllly couldn't afford starting off at 1st & 15.
1st downs were hard enough to come by on their own ( starting at only 10 yards to the L.O.G. )

And then another one along those same lines: The Lateral (the 1st one) they just threw out of bounds.
That would've workout for some serious yardage .... most of the defenders would've had super poor angles at that point.

The icing on that cake was the Prescott QB draw with time expiring.

EDIT: a lot of stupid and/or 'inopportune' penalties too.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:11 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 am Like something the Pats would do ....but not fuck it up at the end.
Ask Bill and Mac how well their cute little fake spike play worked out after eating a 10 yard sack...

That was a dumb play for sure but Dak fucked Dallas giving the ball to his center instead of finding the official... not saying it would have worked out in the end but you would have had one more play...

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:07 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:11 amThat was a dumb play for sure but Dak fucked Dallas giving the ball to his center instead of finding the official... not saying it would have worked out in the end but you would have had one more play...
It was the official's fault. He was supposed to trail the play. He did not move (meaning he was 20 plus yards behind the action) away until after Dak slid. There was not an official there for Dak to hand the ball to. The Cowboys had to wait ~2 seconds for the official to catch up and set the ball. Inexcusable for that to happen in playoff game. But that is not why the Cowboys lost. They lost because the 49ers beat the hell out of them.

Despite getting beat phyiscally and poor execution, the Cowboys had the ball with under 4 minutes to play at the 50 with 3 time outs. Cowboys lost the game because of their offense. Couldn't run or pass. OC relies too much on throwing contested balls versus scheming easy throws. :roll: When plays were there Dak couldn't hit the receiver. Had inaccuracy issues the entire second half of the season. Dak was arguably the worst QB in the wildcard round. At $40 million a year that is inexcusable.

With the salary cap (a good QB costs $30 million plus) and rule changes, defenses are not built to hold opponents to under 10 points. Modern NFL defenses need to be able to create turnovers and get a few stops. 'Complimentary football' or playoff winning football is opportunistic defense matched with an offense that can score 30 plus. Dallas for the last half of the season averaged a little above 20 points. That includes two 50 point games against JV squads. Which means there offensive output versus opponents not fielding 3 legged dogs was dismal. Just not a good football team.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm

aurelius wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:07 am
mouse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:11 amThat was a dumb play for sure but Dak fucked Dallas giving the ball to his center instead of finding the official... not saying it would have worked out in the end but you would have had one more play...
It was the official's fault. He was supposed to trail the play. He did not move
JFC man!

A - They (ref and ump) set 15 yard behind the LOS, and DAK took a step back, and then took off forward full speed and slid. Went from like the 50 to the 22 in 3 seconds .... refs aren't really going to shadow that so well either way. You're expecting a lot here ....

B - The ref there was (no shit) in shock/flabbergasted that he ran it. (/jk but not /jk)

C - The fact that is almost worked, within a 1 sec, shows how retarded and risky and fuzzy that whole strategy was....the calculus there. Fuck.
Somekind of herding cats analogy I can't put into words. Way too close, whether it works or not.
C.1- Dak didn't volunteeringly slide, he slid because it was time to get tackled because he ran out of running room. That is, if he could of ran 5 more yards .... he would have, and it would've made the whole end scene look even more implausible. If he could've ran 10 more, he would have, and all the more stupid all this would have looked.

D - The offensive line walled the ref off, with their backs to him/them. Seems they were oblivious to how that was to go down.

E - Sure, there was no one to hand the ball to immediately after he was downed, but whether its 3 seconds or 5 seconds .... the ref still has to spot the ball. Especially on the slide-thing. At the exact moment watching it in real time, I did NOT know the ref HAS TO ceremoniously 'touch' or spot the ball after each play before the next.....but I DO know the slide-start is an ambiguous thing where the ref has to spot where the slide was initiated. In this case, the yardage is moot .... but the ref going to HAVE TO do something there. Dak, or the lineman, can't spot the ball there....I mean, when was the last time you saw lineman spot their own ball? two hand touch in the parking lot?

F - Being that this is big part of the two-minute drill in practice, you got what? maybe $100Million tied up in Dak's salary, 5 lineman, and 3 coaching staff that its there job to know exactly how this works? Like when we practice-scrimmage in my kids flag football ... I'll volunteer as fake ref. But I act just like the refs do. I wonder if they're smart enough to have a lower tier asst.coach-intern-staffer spot the ball like a ref during the two minute drill. Maybe that's some food for thought for a billion dollar organization....

If you are going to say the team can't work on every single scenario, and/or know ALL of the ins and outs of a rule book thick as the bible, maybe you do the simple thing, setup shop at 2nd down from the 40, and take 2 (maybe even 3) shots at the end-zone (PI, etc). Running 10 or 20 additional yards

Fuck all that noise.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:12 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm A - They (ref and ump) set 15 yard behind the LOS, and DAK took a step back, and then took off forward full speed and slid. Went from like the 50 to the 22 in 3 seconds .... refs aren't really going to shadow that so well either way. You're expecting a lot here ....
Yep. The ref didn't move for 3 seconds. The Cowboys were tenths of a second from pulling it off. The ref just had to start moving downfield when the play did for the Cowboys to pull it off. Bet $1 when they did it in practice the ref trailed them (plus the ref knew). Dak should have pulled the ref aside and let him know what was coming before the play.

But focusing on this one play is asinine. The Cowboys lost because they are not a good football team and the 49er's outplayed them.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 pm

Dak sucks...

Cowboys suck...

Refs really suck...

Let's all focus on what really matters, which is that the Bills revenge tour rolls on this weekend...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:12 pm
mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm A - They (ref and ump) set 15 yard behind the LOS, and DAK took a step back, and then took off forward full speed and slid. Went from like the 50 to the 22 in 3 seconds .... refs aren't really going to shadow that so well either way. You're expecting a lot here ....
Yep. The ref didn't move for 3 seconds. The Cowboys were tenths of a second from pulling it off. The ref just had to start moving downfield when the play did for the Cowboys to pull it off. Bet $1 when they did it in practice the ref trailed them (plus the ref knew). Dak should have pulled the ref aside and let him know what was coming before the play.

But focusing on this one play is asinine. The Cowboys lost because they are not a good football team and the 49er's outplayed them.
I don't know if this is outdated, or has since been superseded .... but a few of years ago they took the umpire out of the area between the linebackers, and stuck him back there (15 yds deep) in the offense backfield (w/ the 'referee' ) due to safety issues, and offenses using the umpires as a screen/pick. But THAT^ is only for a majority of the game, with less than five minutes in the half/game... and/or [some-other-condition] he's supposed to move back to that 'old' area in the middle of the defense.

Long story short, he would've been in a better spot there I suppose.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:15 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 pm
Let's all focus on what really matters, which is that the Bills revenge tour rolls on this weekend...
Dildos all the way down.

What happens if the Bills make the Super Bowl only to have their hearts ripped out by Brady?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:23 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm JFC man!

A - They (ref and ump) set 15 yard behind the LOS, and DAK took a step back, and then took off forward full speed and slid. Went from like the 50 to the 22 in 3 seconds .... refs aren't really going to shadow that so well either way. You're expecting a lot here ....

B - The ref there was (no shit) in shock/flabbergasted that he ran it. (/jk but not /jk)

C - The fact that is almost worked, within a 1 sec, shows how retarded and risky and fuzzy that whole strategy was....the calculus there. Fuck.
Somekind of herding cats analogy I can't put into words. Way too close, whether it works or not.
C.1- Dak didn't volunteeringly slide, he slid because it was time to get tackled because he ran out of running room. That is, if he could of ran 5 more yards .... he would have, and it would've made the whole end scene look even more implausible. If he could've ran 10 more, he would have, and all the more stupid all this would have looked.

D - The offensive line walled the ref off, with their backs to him/them. Seems they were oblivious to how that was to go down.

E - Sure, there was no one to hand the ball to immediately after he was downed, but whether its 3 seconds or 5 seconds .... the ref still has to spot the ball. Especially on the slide-thing. At the exact moment watching it in real time, I did NOT know the ref HAS TO ceremoniously 'touch' or spot the ball after each play before the next.....but I DO know the slide-start is an ambiguous thing where the ref has to spot where the slide was initiated. In this case, the yardage is moot .... but the ref going to HAVE TO do something there. Dak, or the lineman, can't spot the ball there....I mean, when was the last time you saw lineman spot their own ball? two hand touch in the parking lot?

F - Being that this is big part of the two-minute drill in practice, you got what? maybe $100Million tied up in Dak's salary, 5 lineman, and 3 coaching staff that its there job to know exactly how this works? Like when we practice-scrimmage in my kids flag football ... I'll volunteer as fake ref. But I act just like the refs do. I wonder if they're smart enough to have a lower tier asst.coach-intern-staffer spot the ball like a ref during the two minute drill. Maybe that's some food for thought for a billion dollar organization....

If you are going to say the team can't work on every single scenario, and/or know ALL of the ins and outs of a rule book thick as the bible, maybe you do the simple thing, setup shop at 2nd down from the 40, and take 2 (maybe even 3) shots at the end-zone (PI, etc). Running 10 or 20 additional yards

Fuck all that noise.
It's always a surreal feeling when I agree with almost everything in an mbasic post.

I also think Point Number B above is probably more srs than not srs. Nance/Romo's broadcast was hilarious.