NFL Chatter

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Re: 2019-2020 NFL Thread

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:11 am
DirtyRed wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm Stop watching this insulting garbage. You've got baseball until hockey season, and then hockey until baseball season.
There are exactly 2 good things about baseball.
Calling home runs "dongers" and watching players do things like turn a grounder single into a 4-run inside the park homer or misjudge a fly ball and get hit in the head. i.e. watching the Orioles.
I guess sometimes a cat or a bird gets on the field, that's fun too. Going to a park is fun if only to get early-evening-drunk and eat a bunch of garbage, but tickets to the majors are too expensive to pay to sit in the sun and watch a bunch of people standing around for 3 hours, so just go to a minor league game and pretend like the players could actually afford to eat lunch that day.
God, it is fun to watch the Orioles try. But if MLB isn't your thing, there's no denying the MLS is better to watch than the NFL at this point. MLS is hilarious because the players are all in on the act, diving and crying like complete jizzmops. It's like watching Ric Flair sell. The players in the NFL are still stupid enough to actually TRY, and it's both sad and infuriating to see the entire league bend over backwards to punish anything resembling effort because it might affect the predetermined outcome.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:26 am

I picked a bad year to leave Cleveland.

JonA

Post by JonA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Every year is a good year to leave Cleveland

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 pm

JonA wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pmEvery year is a good year to leave Cleveland. -Lebron James

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:01 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 pm
JonA wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pmEvery year is a good year to leave Cleveland. -Lebron James
:cry:

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm

You guys probably haven't heard this yet, but did you know Andrew Luck retired? :lol:
Last edited by JonA on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 am

JonA wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pmYou guys probably haven't heard this yet, but did you know Andrew Luck retired? :lol:
I am only sad about this because my Fantasy Football Draft is today.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:38 am

So pissed about the Cowboy's Elliot extension. Is Zeke a top three running back? Yes. And?

Running backs are replaceable. What is Zeke's production above average replacement behind Dallas's O-line? Not much better. Dallas ran the committee running back with Zeke out and it was just as productive. Draft a decent RB in the middle rounds and Dallas is good to go. The Patriots have never spent more than $1 million a year on running back in Superbowl seasons.

Good QB's and Elite receivers are much harder to find and replace production than running backs. See the Cowboys record with Cooper on the field versus Cooper off the field last season.

Dallas's defense has talent and depth. Can truly be elite for a 3 plus year window. Zeke's contract ensures important pieces will be let go in free agency. What gives Dallas a better chance to win Super Bowls: An elite defense or elite running back?

What the Cowboys should have done is gotten a deal done with Cooper in training camp. Reward the player that showed up. Maybe players wouldn't sit out if they thought they'd get paid if they show up? How about setting that as a precedent Jerry?!?! Play the first few games of the season without Zeke. See what Dak's got without Zeke to go to as a security blanket (pass to run versus run to pass). Based on QB progression in the NFL, Dak is what he is right now. Dallas can see if Dak is worth shelling out $30 million plus a year to (some make the argument he is right now...I think he needs to show more). Based on schedule, Dallas would be no worse than 2-1 and probably be 3-0 going into the game with the Saints. At that point, offer Zeke a 4 year extension with $36 million guaranteed (all in first four seasons) for a total dollar amount of $54 million. That is $9 million a year. Fuck Gurley's and Bell's dumb fuck contracts. The Rams will not make the playoffs in 2 seasons and the Jets...need I say more. If he doesn't come off his demand to be the highest paid ever, trade him for a 1st round pick.

This is all about Jerry and his motherfucking Johnny Walker goggles thinking they can win the Super Bowl this year with Zeke. Fuck the defense that took 5 years to build.

End Rant.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am

So news just broke that Antonio Brown is going to be suspended by the Raiders. Reports say that Mike Mayock the Raiders GM confronted AB about an Instagram post he made yesterday ripping the team for fines related to him missing practices. The two got in to a verbal altercation with each other. Further details are still coming in. Things just keep going downhill for the Raiders.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:50 am

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am So news just broke that Antonio Brown is going to be suspended by the Raiders. Reports say that Mike Mayock the Raiders GM confronted AB about an Instagram post he made yesterday ripping the team for fines related to him missing practices. The two got in to a verbal altercation with each other. Further details are still coming in. Things just keep going downhill for the Raiders.
Why have AB on your team if you are not willing to put up with his lack of professionalism? He isn't going to be on time. He is going to miss practices. He will post stupid shit in the twittersphere. And? You knew all of that when you paid the man. He shows up on Sunday. Get out of his way.

Some new GM/wanna be traffic cop is going to fine him for minor infractions to show him who is boss? STUPID. Now he 'has' to suspend their star receiver for a situation he created. Great personnel management. Spectacular.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:50 am
LexAnderson wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am So news just broke that Antonio Brown is going to be suspended by the Raiders. Reports say that Mike Mayock the Raiders GM confronted AB about an Instagram post he made yesterday ripping the team for fines related to him missing practices. The two got in to a verbal altercation with each other. Further details are still coming in. Things just keep going downhill for the Raiders.
Why have AB on your team if you are not willing to put up with his lack of professionalism? He isn't going to be on time. He is going to miss practices. He will post stupid shit in the twittersphere. And? You knew all of that when you paid the man. He shows up on Sunday. Get out of his way.

Some new GM/wanna be traffic cop is going to fine him for minor infractions to show him who is boss? STUPID. Now he 'has' to suspend their star receiver for a situation he created. Great personnel management. Spectacular.
I understand what you're saying about they knew who he was before they got him, but the guy is an employee who thinks he is an owner. Just show up to practice, be a good employee and cash your checks. I don't blame the GM for this. Players get fined all the time, its nothing new. But a diva gets mad because he is punished for not doing his job, and he wants to cry about it. Can't let players run the team like that.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:16 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 am Can't let players run the team like that.
That's amateur sports. When players are largely interchangeable, authoritarianism can rule the day. Players are the team in professional sports. Truth is coaching is highly overrated at the professional level. The market knows this. The star players are paid substantially more than the coach and GM. Coaches/GMs get fired every 2-3 years. Star players stick around for a decade. A primary job of a personnel manager (GM/coach) for a professional sports team is to make sure their star players play. Teams have all kinds of ways of doing this without petty fines, suspensions, and getting in yelling matches with players.

Everyone knew AB is what he is. Now the Raiders have $16 million per year out of their salary cap riding pine because the general manager couldn't figure out a way to handle his star receiver (a primary job responsibility). If we are going to question AB's lack of professionalism and ability to do his job (this has nothing to do with AB's prime job responsibilities), then the general manager's decision to acquire him then act like Nick Saban* on a power trip should be questioned to. If I'm the owner, I ask my GM what the hell he is doing.

To put it into perspective, the Steelers never fined AB for his shennigans. During that span he was the best receiver in football.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-rai ... 702/fines/
Still think this is about football? Or the GM is wanting his authority respected?

*Nick Saban was a terrible professional coach. His XO's aren't that great as are his motivational abilities. His main coaching 'genius' is convincing 18 year olds to come play for him and then putting the fear of god into them. Grown men aren't scared of Nick Saban.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:26 pm

@aurelius Further reports are coming out that he threatened to hit the GM in the face. So I think that pretty much goes past "shenanigans" at this point. Also the reports are circulating that the Raiders are looking to void the 30+ million in guaranteed money owed to him with this suspension, and could cut him without a hit to their cap at all.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:30 pm

@LexAnderson Thanks for the new information. I agree threatening to hit the GM is too far. And actually a crime.

The Raiders are in a tough spot. If they do not reprimand/cut AB, then they create a hostile working environment for the GM. Which is against the law. If AB's contract is ironclad, they might still owe him the guaranteed money.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:30 pm @LexAnderson Thanks for the new information. I agree threatening to hit the GM is too far. And actually a crime.

The Raiders are in a tough spot. If they do not reprimand/cut AB, then they create a hostile working environment for the GM. Which is against the law. If AB's contract is ironclad, they might still owe him the guaranteed money.
I think that they are just in a lose/lose situation. If they can cut him and safe money they still lose a great player, but if they keep him then you really are just going to have to keep dealing with his attitude issues.

If he gets cut, and gets none of the money, then he will have a job by the end of the month for sure. All of this is just crazy to witness. AB is for sure a great player, but he is burning bridges and ruining his legacy along the way too. I think that the NFL has shown that they are not going to tolerate circuses and players create (i.e. Kaepernick and Tebow), no matter the talent level. At this point it would be in AB's best interest to do the public apology tour, take a game or 3 suspension and then play and keep his antics and mouth shut.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:35 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 pm
aurelius wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:30 pm @LexAnderson Thanks for the new information. I agree threatening to hit the GM is too far. And actually a crime.

I think that they are just in a lose/lose situation. If they can cut him and safe money they still lose a great player, but if they keep him then you really are just going to have to keep dealing with his attitude issues.

If he gets cut, and gets none of the money, then he will have a job by the end of the month for sure. All of this is just crazy to witness. AB is for sure a great player, but he is burning bridges and ruining his legacy along the way too. I think that the NFL has shown that they are not going to tolerate circuses and players create (i.e. Kaepernick and Tebow), no matter the talent level. At this point it would be in AB's best interest to do the public apology tour, take a game or 3 suspension and then play and keep his antics and mouth shut.
This is juicy. I'm suddenly really looking forward to the un-watched episode of Hard Knocks sitting in my queue.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 pm

@Hiphopapotamus no need to watch them, the Raiders heavily censored the episodes before they aired them. This was one of the worst seasons in the shows history as far as having any fun stories.

But this whole saga has been one worth watching through all of the sports media outlets. It's just wild that this guy behaves like this, and expects nothing to come of it.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:55 pm

LexAnderson wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 pm Hiphopapotamus no need to watch them, the Raiders heavily censored the episodes before they aired them. This was one of the worst seasons in the shows history as far as having any fun stories.

But this whole saga has been one worth watching through all of the sports media outlets. It's just wild that this guy behaves like this, and expects nothing to come of it.
Lame. Knock on wood if you hear me..

PC

Post by PC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Season opener was a lame display of football

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 pm

So per Bleacher Report AB is expected to play Monday night against the Broncos.