Shoulder pop on flat bench but not incline

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

s0meJerk

Shoulder pop on flat bench but not incline

Post by s0meJerk » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Almost every time i flat bench any weight over 80% 1rm at the very bottom of the reps right before touching my chest there is a clicking or popping feel in my right shoulder. I have adjusted, tweaked my form, grip, width etc but it still persists. Oddly this never happens on incline bench press, no matter the grip width. On both lifts i arch pretty hard, pinch and depress scaps. Does anyone have any insight on why this would happen on flat bench and not incline?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Shoulder pop on flat bench but not incline

Post by mgil » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:33 am

Beyond the obvious (the angle at the shoulder joint matters), I’m guessing the weight is lighter on the incline be a decent amount such that it might not be an issue yet?

I’d probably want some video to see what your elbows are doing on a heavier rep, but there would still be guessing involved.

Have you ever injured said shoulder? What are you doing to strengthen the posterior portion of the shoulders? Is this your dominant hand? What are your job duties?

Even with lots of questions, diagnosis will still be difficult. Have you seen a good PT about an injury in the past? I’d consult with them as well.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:47 am

This may or may not relate to whatever you have going on., but i had a dislocation in my left shoulder that got remedied in the late 80s.
It was minor as far as those can go, but caused me pain at the time when i would try to extend the arm above my head.

Since then, it would have painless pops during different activities.
At the far extension when paddling my canoe on the left side, and i noticed it a lot when i started lifting in 2016.

At lockout on bench was where it would happen for me.
I started doing rotator cuff exercises, and have done lots of pullups since.
Though i think direct rotator cuff exercises were important to me, as pullups themselves exposed the issue as well at first.
It doesn't pop anymore, but i can still feel a different feel to that shoulder.
Probably always will, but it's subtle now.

I do dead hangs everyday, and i think they account for a lot of the improvement.

I think @mgil is right in suggesting having a professional look at it on the chance they can tell you something useful.

I'm pretty sure strengthening the cuff muscles won't do harm though.
I know as little as most of us, but i can't see how that would hurt.
Unless it actually hurts, and you have some pain from it. from who knows what. Impingement? other?
Trying here to hedge anything from me that sounds like advice.

My awareness of my own situation as all has come to pass, is my shoulder was loose, and i have managed to strengthen the small muscles of the rotator cuff so it doesn't pop anymore.

I think dead hangs are the shit, btw.
Just explore any new movement carefully.

I'm just some guy, and that is only my n=1

Info on a lot of shoulder structure and cuff movements here.
From T-nation, but afaik, Cressey is reputable and respected.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/crack ... -conundrum

I started doing the hangs after already working on the cuff muscles.
You can ease into these by doing them with feet on the floor if your bar is at the right height for that.
I explored and didn't do anything drastic. I love them, but it's up to you to judge any of this.
https://www.onebed.com.au/eliminate-sho ... -exercise/

deant

Post by deant » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:19 pm

My right shoulder pops at the bottom of flat bench reps in the following scenarios:
1) DB bench (longer range of motion)
2) Touch point too low
3) Flare elbows out as I lift the bar off the chest at bottom of the rep
4) Any sort of DB fly...even with light weights.

My history: I've dislocated my right shoulder a couple times...most recently around 10 years ago. The doc did a MRI on that shoulder and told me that I have arthritis and supraspinatus tendonitis. I've since hurt that shoulder doing DB flies and I didn't see the doc but based on my own basic tests and understanding, I am currently recovering from an AC joint strain.

The PT told me that I tend to roll my shoulders forward and I need to work on my upper back and rear deltoids. Rows and shoulder work basically. I think doing the stuff Wilhelm said for the rotator cuff and adding in some rows and a shoulder circuit at the end of lifting will help strengthen the joint and get you through your struggles. I personally just superset the following: DB rows, side db raises, front db raises and back db raises with 3 or 4 rounds of 8-12 reps.

s0meJerk

Post by s0meJerk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Thank you guys for the info, I have been doing alot of rc accessories with bands and light weight along with face pulls, rows etc. Will try dead hangs. I never really thought about the obvious actual weight being less, which it is on the incline. I will post video on flat bench soon to see if anyone sees something im missing. Thanks