Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 pm

I got a membership to a new gym....a whole different genre of fuckery compared to the old place.
Its like an arms/technology race to the the bottom see who can beat Dr.JoelSeeman at his own gig.

Today it was, a guy doing CG bench press in the smith machine, but.....

... he was what I would call set up as "transverse".
He's using the bench sideways, like you would for a hip thrust or say a DB pullover. Shoulder blade across the bench.
Except he is set up with his spine/axis of his body directly under the bar...parallel and underneath the bar.
His head and shoulders is closer to on end of the slide rails.
Uses a close grip neutral grip pull down handle, inverted, under the bar, to facilitate the grip.
Kinda like you would for a landmine T-Bar row but with narrow-neutral grip pulldown handle....but pushing up, bench pressing from underneath.

....the problem with all this, the bar would come down a touch his dick-area every rep.... literally stuff would jiggle each rep.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 pm I got a membership to a new gym....a whole different genre of fuckery compared to the old place.
Its like an arms/technology race to the the bottom see who can beat Dr.JoelSeeman at his own gig.

Today it was, a guy doing CG bench press in the smith machine, but.....

... he was what I would call set up as "transverse".
He's using the bench sideways, like you would for a hip thrust or say a DB pullover. Shoulder blade across the bench.
Except he is set up with his spine/axis of his body directly under the bar...parallel and underneath the bar.
His head and shoulders is closer to on end of the slide rails.
Uses a close grip neutral grip pull down handle, inverted, under the bar, to facilitate the grip.
Kinda like you would for a landmine T-Bar row but with narrow-neutral grip pulldown handle....but pushing up, bench pressing from underneath.

....the problem with all this, the bar would come down a touch his dick-area every rep.... literally stuff would jiggle each rep.
That sounds awesome. that Seeman (Seedman?) guy is hysterical. Unintentionally, but still hysterical.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm That sounds awesome. that Seeman (Seedman?) guy is hysterical. Unintentionally, but still hysterical.
The question with the Dr. Seedman guy in my mind are:

...if he is knowingly & nefariously is making all that shit up as he goes along for profit?
sure, I'll award him some points...

OR

...does he actually "believe in" the ideas and exercises that he's come up with?
Then he has a mild mental disorder of some sort.

I can't tell.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 am
Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm That sounds awesome. that Seeman (Seedman?) guy is hysterical. Unintentionally, but still hysterical.
The question with the Dr. Seedman guy in my mind are:

...if he is knowingly & nefariously is making all that shit up as he goes along for profit?
sure, I'll award him some points...

OR

...does he actually "believe in" the ideas and exercises that he's come up with?
Then he has a mild mental disorder of some sort.

I can't tell.
I'm going with "B". And there is some sort of mass delusion that inspires people to be his clients and do this stuff. And even allow it to be recorded and put on social media. So maybe it's a giant long con for the purpose of producing comedy gold. I laugh every time I see something from him, it's like a lifters video fail collection.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 am

I find it funny ...

..a guy that is a coach, and a barbell coach, and has been lifting for some-odd-15-years....

...doesn't know how to put plates on a barbell quickly (on floor/pulls), or how to tighten,re-tighten, or snug them up in a quick fashion.

Amazing.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 am

I will give Rip some credit in calling out that people like overly complicated workouts. Not just novice but even advanced lifters. I have seen dudes that have been lifting for years that are pretty strong doing chains with reverse bands and shit like like that. Why would you have chains to make the lift harder then reverse bands to make it easier?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 am I will give Rip some credit in calling out that people like overly complicated workouts. Not just novice but even advanced lifters. I have seen dudes that have been lifting for years that are pretty strong doing chains with reverse bands and shit like like that. Why would you have chains to make the lift harder then reverse bands to make it easier?
Ok, I am 100% an equipment whore and always looking for a reason to buy something new. I have actually thought it would be nice to do a reverse banded and chained heavy squat workout. Something like heavy triples that are really heavy in the middle, but lighter at the top and in the hole would be cool for really pushing the your legs to the max in a section of a lift that cruise on all but the heaviest loads.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 am I will give Rip some credit in calling out that people like overly complicated workouts. Not just novice but even advanced lifters. I have seen dudes that have been lifting for years that are pretty strong doing chains with reverse bands and shit like like that. Why would you have chains to make the lift harder then reverse bands to make it easier?
Don't both of those accomplish the same thing? They make the lift easier at the bottom and harder at the top. They just go about it differently, adding weight at the top vs removing weight at the bottom. I'm sure the feeling is different but the overall modification of the force curve is the same, so they wouldn't be canceling each other out but rather it would be an additive effect. Still probably doesn't make much sense to do both at once though. You could just use stronger bands or heavier chains and less straight weight to increase the bottom/top differential.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 am

5hout wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 am
Ok, I am 100% an equipment whore and always looking for a reason to buy something new. I have actually thought it would be nice to do a reverse banded and chained heavy squat workout. Something like heavy triples that are really heavy in the middle, but lighter at the top and in the hole would be cool for really pushing the your legs to the max in a section of a lift that cruise on all but the heaviest loads.
It wouldn't work out that way (see post above)

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am

TimK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 am
Derp, you're 100% right.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 am

5hout wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am
Derp, you're 100% right.
But now I'm brainstorming how one might dynamically load to bias toward more load at the start (not sure why someone would want to do that, but I love useless problems).

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 am

TimK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 am
Don't both of those accomplish the same thing? They make the lift easier at the bottom and harder at the top. They just go about it differently, adding weight at the top vs removing weight at the bottom. I'm sure the feeling is different but the overall modification of the force curve is the same, so they wouldn't be canceling each other out but rather it would be an additive effect. Still probably doesn't make much sense to do both at once though. You could just use stronger bands or heavier chains and less straight weight to increase the bottom/top differential.
No no no no they are REVERSE bands as in you put them on the top of the rack to help out of the hole
My bad I am a dummy I guess they do do the same thing. Still seems silly IMO
Last edited by zappey1 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 am

Similar example I have seen: benching in a slingshot with chains.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 am
Derp, you're 100% right.
But now I'm brainstorming how one might dynamically load to bias toward more load at the start (not sure why someone would want to do that, but I love useless problems).

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am

TimK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am
Hanley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 am
Derp, you're 100% right.
Okay. Noted. For those times when half reps just won't do.

A patent though? On some pulleys and a loading arm?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am Okay. Noted. For those times when half reps just won't do.

A patent though? On some pulleys and a loading arm?
Yeah, pretty ridiculous.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am A patent though? On some pulleys and a loading arm?
Titan does the Anthony Adams meme every time someone forgets to apply for a patent.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:13 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am
Hanley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am A patent though? On some pulleys and a loading arm?
Titan does the Anthony Adams meme every time someone forgets to apply for a patent.
Nah, even Titan would be like 'I gotta add plates, then take off a nut, reinsert the eyebolt, and reattach the nut just to change effective load?"

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:52 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am
IDK, looks dum 2 me.

The pulley system isn't pulling straight down, might fuck with mechanics a bit.

Chains work good in this regard, they naturally hang plumb for the most part.
Bands pull to the anchor point; bench has a funny bar path, especially for such a small amount of vertical travel....

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm

anyone else think these things (*waves over this thread*) is a sure sign our society's collapse in close at hand ?

...like in Rome, did they start to make retarded little gadgets or weapons that made no sense .... and that was a clue to coming collapse.
Double pronged dagger with blades coming out both sides of the handle, looks neat but totally impractical in battle, and you might wound yourself.
Emperor thought is was cool, and the blacksmiths got so good at their craft, and the raw materials were plentiful ... so why not?