Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Mkgillman
Biker

Re: Oh the places you'll bro!

Post by Mkgillman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 am

Idlehands wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:56 am I always figured it was doctor seus. Like gym bro stereo types at a bunch of gyms and their shenanigans.

(Secretly hopes mk replies “can confirm” cause I’m binging letter Kenny )
You are finally watching Letterkenny and thats whats I appreciates about you.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 am

Oh, that's what you appreciates about me?

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Sweet merciful kittens, I’ve died and gone to globo gym hell. Not one piece of iron in here, everything is rubber coated Hampton grip plates. Found one ivanko bar which is bent, of course. Almost all the guys in here appear to weigh 150 pounds and spend most of their time crawling on the floor and being functional.

I’m looking forward to squats on Friday.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Sweet merciful kittens is right.

There's a couple at my gym that loves to do their functional fitness circuit jerks together. I usually think nothing of it because it's not my business, but I involuntarily lol'd at them in the gym last night. As one would complete med ball throws against a wall (not that weird), the other would stand facing them and drum on the ball (while in the user's hands) a bunch of times with both hands before the user would throw it again. The optics were tremendous.

My chortle drew looks. Whoops.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:29 pm

That gym actually got worse. The damn benches were some piece of junk that had super squishy pads and you couldn’t adjust the pins; there were just two fixed j-hooks.

Then functional guy took his game to a whole new level. He was doing one armed pull downs in the cable crossover. At the end of the set, he climbed up the stack, unhooked the handle, climbed across the center support, and tried to reattach the handle to the other side while still hanging by one hand. He couldn’t do it and his grip gave out causing him to almost completely destroy himself. I had to walk away I was laughing so hard.

DIR
Titillating Toupee

Post by DIR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm Sweet merciful kittens, I’ve died and gone to globo gym hell. Not one piece of iron in here, everything is rubber coated Hampton grip plates. Found one ivanko bar which is bent, of course. Almost all the guys in here appear to weigh 150 pounds and spend most of their time crawling on the floor and being functional.

I’m looking forward to squats on Friday.
I so hate the damn rubber coated plates. My gym replaced all iron with those. I miss the clank
All the rubber coated 45s also weigh at least .5 lb heavier than advertised which is not as bad as being under I guess.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 am Trainer had a skinny chick with the classical runner's body (skinny everywhere, flat butt and calves bigger than her thights) doing hex bar deadlifts. He loads it with 155lb or so and she does 5 shaky reps and says afterwards that it's too heavy and she would like to take some weight off. Dipsh*t trainer tells her she can do this weight if she starts bouncing the weight off the floor and that's what bumper plates are for! So he makes her do another set while I cringe in my pants and he cheers her on while also managing to browse his phone.

I saw her later on holder her lower back in pain.
Which trainer was it? I hate almost every trainer in that gym for doing stupid shit like that.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

This was not at the forest hills one, it was at times square

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

Get back to my normal gym this morning and first thing I notice is someone has taken it upon themselves to wrap athletic tape around a large section of the knurl on the ivanko power bar. I would be willing to bet that they found it to be too aggressive and hurt their tender little hands. I’d be more upset, but people have already bent that bar so badly that it is useless for any heavy work anyway.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 am

Mkgillman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am Get back to my normal gym this morning and first thing I notice is someone has taken it upon themselves to wrap athletic tape around a large section of the knurl on the ivanko power bar. I would be willing to bet that they found it to be too aggressive and hurt their tender little hands. I’d be more upset, but people have already bent that bar so badly that it is useless for any heavy work anyway.
Aw, shit. This just reminded me i dreamt last night i dented/bent one of the sleeves on my OHP.

The unmitigated horror. *shudders*

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 am

Mkgillman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am Get back to my normal gym this morning and first thing I notice is someone has taken it upon themselves to wrap athletic tape around a large section of the knurl on the ivanko power bar. I would be willing to bet that they found it to be too aggressive and hurt their tender little hands. I’d be more upset, but people have already bent that bar so badly that it is useless for any heavy work anyway.
One of the hundreds of reasons why I now have my own basement gym :D I don't miss the commercial gym scene one bit!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am

MattimusMaximus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 am
One of the hundreds of reasons why I now have my own basement gym :D I don't miss the commercial gym scene one bit!

The way the time-stamp-thumbnail for that video comes off,

. . .your post doesn't seem...err.....ummmmm... quite right. . . . as intended

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 am

@mbasic lmao

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:43 am

I thought this was priceless:

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:43 am I thought this was priceless:

Dat editing doe.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:12 pm

lol

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:22 pm

I don't go to a gym but I think this counts. Was pushing the prowler in the street today for lunch. Raking leaves a bit by my fence too.

Truck pulls up, and a mouth breather gets out and lifts a 45 off the prowler.
"HEY!"
"it was in the road"
"so?"
"you should move it"
"no shit, I am moving it up and down the road"

Like wtf I was literally 20' from the thing. Maybe perhaps ask before you start to steal my stuff from the road. Guy was super upset that I yelled at him. Course when the truck pulled up I knew exactly what they were doing. And I may have waited until he had the plate ready to put in his truck.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 am

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 am

Idlehands wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:22 pm I don't go to a gym but I think this counts. Was pushing the prowler in the street today for lunch. Raking leaves a bit by my fence too.

Truck pulls up, and a mouth breather gets out and lifts a 45 off the prowler.
"HEY!"
"it was in the road"
"so?"
"you should move it"
"no shit, I am moving it up and down the road"

Like wtf I was literally 20' from the thing. Maybe perhaps ask before you start to steal my stuff from the road. Guy was super upset that I yelled at him. Course when the truck pulled up I knew exactly what they were doing. And I may have waited until he had the plate ready to put in his truck.
Am I the only one that feels personally violated when these truck cucks go through my garbage can?

It’s probably just a rural-ish “git offa my property” mentality.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 am

@broseph - technically, they are stealing from the trash/recycling company, not you. Ownership of the trash passed to the hauler when you put that stuff out on the kerb.

My dogs don't understand this shit at all. They are pissed as hell at the Rumpke guys when they "steal" our trash every week.