Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Re: Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 am

@mbasic so Evan was doing deads in the gym, and using chalk, when old dude came over and just stopped him from deadlifting. The manager came over and said it was fine as long as he cleaned up. The old guy apologized to him a couple of days later.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 am

LexAnderson wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 am @mbasic so Evan was doing deads in the gym, and using chalk, when old dude came over and just stopped him from deadlifting. The manager came over and said it was fine as long as he cleaned up. The old guy apologized to him a couple of days later.
Did the manager make the guy apologize, or was it legit? Still, visor, invisible lat syndrome, and chicken legs. Might as well be the gym asshat calling card.

The worst I've seen was that guy in Canada that kicked the dude while he was deadlifting. The dude maintained his cool more than I ever could have.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:54 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 am
LexAnderson wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 am @mbasic so Evan was doing deads in the gym, and using chalk, when old dude came over and just stopped him from deadlifting. The manager came over and said it was fine as long as he cleaned up. The old guy apologized to him a couple of days later.
Did the manager make the guy apologize, or was it legit? Still, visor, invisible lat syndrome, and chicken legs. Might as well be the gym asshat calling card.

The worst I've seen was that guy in Canada that kicked the dude while he was deadlifting. The dude maintained his cool more than I ever could have.
It was legit I think. He said the guy came up and apologized for how he handled it and they seem to be cool now.

It's just annoying to me that so many people take it upon themselves to do these things instead of letting it go or letting the staff handle the issues. I see people doing crazy stuff all the time in the gym, I just let it go.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:56 am

LexAnderson wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:54 am
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 am

It was legit I think. He said the guy came up and apologized for how he handled it and they seem to be cool now.

It's just annoying to me that so many people take it upon themselves to do these things instead of letting it go or letting the staff handle the issues. I see people doing crazy stuff all the time in the gym, I just let it go.
I'm glad that old guy ended up apologizing; just watching thay video made me super mad thinking about the old guy getting away with being a dick.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 pm

augeleven wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 am
Hanley wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:00 am
murphyreedus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm I don't understand what prompts people to do crap like that.
The chronic use of __________ includes increased likelihood of psychiatric complications such as labile mood, lack of impulse control and aggression.
Snatch grip deadlifts?
Passive Voice?
Passive voice is not being used in this true sentence.

Alanis is accusing me of juvenile paradoxical irony.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 am

Update: I wasn’t in the gym yesterday due to sports travel, but I had a few of my friends text me to say that the floor manager came up and said Mr Aesthetic filed a complaint saying I threatened him. Sounds like management didn’t bother looking at the video and are getting ready to “both sides” the incident.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 am Update: I wasn’t in the gym yesterday due to sports travel, but I had a few of my friends text me to say that the floor manager came up and said Mr Aesthetic filed a complaint saying I threatened him. Sounds like management didn’t bother looking at the video and are getting ready to “both sides” the incident.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Also relevant:

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Missed these last few updates.

Makes me remember how miserable time gym is. My problems were usually with the “trainers” coming over to talk to me about whatever.

Sometimes I think these people need an ass-kicking.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am

I'm not sure if I think this qualifies, but since I normally train in my garage I found it odd.

Guy comes in, pretty good sized upper body, a bit undersized lower body. Puts SSB on the rack. Grabs a padded thing to hold up his off-leg. Loads the bar up (disdaining the steel plate, in favor of Elekkio calibrated plates) to like 135-155?ish (forgot to note it exactly), and then does 1 leg squats with the SSB where he holds onto the rack, not the bar, and squats down and back to the pad sort of simulating a box squat. Inbetween he does a curious leg/back stretching routine.

I kept my trap shut, but was curious if this was his personally devised rehab protocol for something, because the stretching looked similar to what I did in knee-pain rehab years ago.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 am

5hout wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am I'm not sure if I think this qualifies, but since I normally train in my garage I found it odd.

Guy comes in, pretty good sized upper body, a bit undersized lower body. Puts SSB on the rack. Grabs a padded thing to hold up his off-leg. Loads the bar up (disdaining the steel plate, in favor of Elekkio calibrated plates) to like 135-155?ish (forgot to note it exactly), and then does 1 leg squats with the SSB where he holds onto the rack, not the bar, and squats down and back to the pad sort of simulating a box squat. Inbetween he does a curious leg/back stretching routine.

I kept my trap shut, but was curious if this was his personally devised rehab protocol for something, because the stretching looked similar to what I did in knee-pain rehab years ago.
The SSB/rack holding thing is normal, they're called Hatfield squats. I guess he's doing a box variation.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 am

cgeorg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 am
The SSB/rack holding thing is normal, they're called Hatfield squats. I guess he's doing a box variation.
Thanks, guess it was 1 leg hatfield box squats day for him.

EDIT: Today I threw a 45 at myself. It was cold and humid in my garage gym. I went to flip the plate around while picking it up (b/c I'm really cool). Instead I threw it edge on into my chest and then managed to bear hug it before it fell. This is karma for thinking poorly of this guy, when I was a visitor in another gym.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 am

5hout wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 am EDIT: Today I threw a 45 at myself. It was cold and humid in my garage gym. I went to flip the plate around while picking it up (b/c I'm really cool). Instead I threw it edge on into my chest and then managed to bear hug it before it fell. This is karma for thinking poorly of this guy, when I was a visitor in another gym.
Lol better than me...

I about broke a bunch of stuff Saturday morning warming up on the log. When I train at home I usually "tree-top" my last rep (kind of a guided drop) down to the tires/mats. Being on auto-pilot and not really thinking about the consequences of using a single tire+145 empty log I managed to turn the damn thing into a trampoline and sent the log flying in front of me lol. I caught it before it rolled in to anything, but it was embarrassing as I tried to assure everyone I wasn't trying to be a dick...

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:48 am

mouse wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 am I about broke a bunch of stuff Saturday morning warming up on the log.
I see you "warming up on the log." This displeases me...

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:54 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:48 am
mouse wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 am I about broke a bunch of stuff Saturday morning warming up on the log.
I see you "warming up on the log." This displeases me...
I see an opportunity to turn displeasure into injury... wait...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

We got 5 Elieko WL bars a while back...

....I used the newly bent one today.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am We got 5 Elieko WL bars a while back...

Fuuuuck. Eleiko bars sound pretty awesome for a (Liftime?) Globo gym, but also probably a terrible idea from a business perspective. Unless they're bringing in more members, though I doubt most people there aren't weightlifting/aware of Eleiko?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am
mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am We got 5 Elieko WL bars a while back...

Fuuuuck. Eleiko bars sound pretty awesome for a (Liftime?) Globo gym, but also probably a terrible idea from a business perspective. Unless they're bringing in more members, though I doubt most people there aren't weightlifting/aware of Eleiko?
Nope....very few people are aware....
It is only the training bar, but still I that think retails for $850.

Best part: they got (5) 15kg girls Elieko WL bars too at the same time....and they already had (3) 15kg lower-end WL bars at the time. So we have (8) yellow WL bars now ...probably more yellow WL bars than any single dedicated OWL gym in the entire state...lolz. Dumbasses here using them for landmine shit with a seated-row handle grinding up the snatch knurl and shit.

Could feel it flip one time from highbar placement down to lower spot when I took it out of the rack for squats....then checked it by rolling.

1/2" - 3/4" of bend, but boy does that make a difference.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am

I was considering bringing my bar to the gym since I really dislike the DHS I'm using (knurling is so light that my thumb is taking ALL the load since the knurl doesn't stick to the rest of my hand at all when hooked and getting more torn up than it used to). But then remembered that the gym owner mentioned he keeps the Oly bar in the closet/changing room cuz he found someone doing rack pulls with it once...