Squat asymmetry/lateral hip shift

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

MPat

Re: Squat asymmetry/lateral hip shift

Post by MPat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:35 am

No doubt I believe my squat would be better if it was more symmetrical.

I don’t know if the pain I experienced was from....
A: squatting non symmetrically at inappropriate loads
B: trying to fix my symmetry with inappropriate loads
C: just inappropriate loads.

I know everytime I reset to “work on form” it would not hurt at lighter loads. But I would always gradually fall back into bad patterns. I’m having a lot of fun with the SSB and setting Squat PRs. So either Hanley style programming keeps my body happier or the less hip involvement keeps my hips happier. Sooner or later I’m going to switch back to a regular bar, probably high bar and see how things go with this new to me style of programming.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Squat asymmetry/lateral hip shift

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:47 am

I have seen i can get some twist (right side forward) on the ascent in my squat, and i've just worked on improving the locked in-ness of my back angle and my bar path.
All this i view from side on, and my bar path has gotten pretty decent.

My asymmetry is pretty pronounced with my deadlift, and i had to address that by moving right foot and hand out some.
I'll spare the details, but It was required i do something about it with that lift.
But in squat, it doesn't have as dramatic an effect, and by working on basic technique, and improving back angle and bracing throughout, i've gotten a better result without even delving into any examination of possible asymmetry.

I don't think it would have been productive going down that rabbit hole for my squat, and i have been able to improve by working on "regular" points of technique.

I don't know if you record from side on ever, but it might be worth a try.
I think bar path and back angle are much of what is important, and think if you move toward perfecting those, then perhaps the asymmetry issue will prove to ulimately be unimportant, as it has for me.

I like OCG's suggestion of working on breathing and bracing, and refining your walkout, as well as Hanley noticing the feet stuff.
Both of those guys are much more experienced than me.

"How to squat with Chris Duffin" on youtube, where he works with Silent Mike, is one good video with breathing and bracing stuff in it.
I hesitate to recommend any single video, but i have gotten some good information from Duffin's stuff.

** It's possible that as i've improved my upper back tightness, and prevented the twist, that has countered the knock on effect on any asymmetry.