Taurine

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

OCG

Taurine

Post by OCG » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 am

Anybody tried it? Meant to be good for cramps.

I can confirm it will give you the shits if you take too much of it...

ithryn

Re: Taurine

Post by ithryn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am

Had the powder for a while. Didn't measure, just used some eyeballed fraction of a teaspoon so I probably overdosed all the time. Didn't really notice any difference, as usual with almost everything I try that isn't caffeine.

I'm willing to believe it does something magical if I'm drinking it in a Red Bull though.

OCG

Post by OCG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am

Update:

500ml/~4 grams taken all at once is way too much. It'll give you the screaming shits.

However, 125ml/~1 gram taken once daily does not, and is quite effective a preventing low back pumps and cramps. So, success! It actually works! Gonna finish out this week at 1 gram then next week try 1 gram twice a day and see how that goes. Low back is much improved, but still a little crampy, so we'll see if that's the magic number.

I'm not sure if I'm special or not, but I get wicked low back pumps/cramps training squats and deadlifts heavy in the same week. Hurts like a bitch. No, it's not dbol. I wish.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am

OCG wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am I'm not sure if I'm special or not, but I get wicked low back pumps/cramps training squats and deadlifts heavy in the same week. Hurts like a bitch. No, it's not dbol. I wish.
I think I know exactly what you’re talking about. I don’t notice it too bad during sets, but it kills me after I rack the bar. Feels like my muscles want to fold my back into extreme extension. Then it acts up for the stupidest things the rest of the week. Makes yard work especially burdensome.

The taurine is seriously is working for this?

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes. Quite well. Have no idea why, but hey it does so fuck it. I am getting a little bit of cramping still with a lot of work, so I think a slightly higher dose is on the cards, but even a gram a day works wonders. It's cheap as fuck and easy to take, give it a go.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm

OCG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm Yes. Quite well. Have no idea why, but hey it does so fuck it. I am getting a little bit of cramping still with a lot of work, so I think a slightly higher dose is on the cards, but even a gram a day works wonders. It's cheap as fuck and easy to take, give it a go.
Any news on 2 gm per day?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm

I worked my way up to 3.6 grams per day and my usual low back cramps have been greatly reduced.

These cramps tend to be part of my daily life when low back fatigue is high and squats are heavy. Which is right where I’ve been the past week. So it’s definitely remarkable that I haven’t had any cramping.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 am

Have you checked how much potassium, sodium and magnesium you are getting daily?
Supposedly the balance is important.
I've never gotten that deep into it,just try to get enough, but my wife has had to.
I guess chloride figures in there somehow too. *shrug*

Potatoes have more potassium than bananas.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Another quick taurine update:

As previously stated, I'm getting 3.6 grams/day in the form of 1.8 grams x2. I take a serving with one of my daily protein shakes, and another serving in my pre-workout BCAA/creatine/beta alanine.

My low back was especially sore going into squats today, which again- is my typical recipe for that excruciating interset erector tightness. I didn't drink my preworkout stuff until I was done warming up (on accident). Warm ups hurt, and I was getting mentally prepared to endure the pain through my work sets. Mind you, I didn't think "oh, my taurine drink will make this all better!" In fact I didn't think of it all. More like, "whoops, forgot to drink my blue stuff."

The pain actually improved with each subsequent set (only 3 sets today). Often this back pain peaks when unloading the plates from the bar, and it was totally absent. I didn't even make the taurine connection until I was done.

Obviously not sciency at all, but, well, there it is.

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 pm

damufunman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm
OCG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm Yes. Quite well. Have no idea why, but hey it does so fuck it. I am getting a little bit of cramping still with a lot of work, so I think a slightly higher dose is on the cards, but even a gram a day works wonders. It's cheap as fuck and easy to take, give it a go.
Any news on 2 gm per day?
Oh, I've not been training hard after my comp yet, so I kind of fell off the wagon with it.

Yeah, I have no explanation as to why it should work, but it does. *shrugs* Good enough I guess.