Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

AaronM
Pheasant

Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Post by AaronM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Figured I'd start this up here since the thread in E&P/Food & Drink died...

It finally got below 80 degrees in south Texas, so last night I enjoyed a bowl of Anniversary Kake (Virginia/Perique blend from pipesandcigars.com) in a Stanwell bent horn :D

bugbomb

Re: Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Post by bugbomb » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 am

Man, I really wish I could smoke more. I enjoy it every time but I'm convinced that I feel substantially worse the next day or two. Particularly when it comes to training (jiu jitsu). The weather really has been amazing, I'll probably smoke a bowl or two on Friday since I have a couple days to get over *it*.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am

In on new tobacco thread. Before you guys, I thought the only pipe tobacco available was the flavored stuff from my crap local shop.

Now on to fancier things- what do you recommend for a quality pipe? I have some kind of $20 wood pipe that I've smoked for 10 years that always smokes wet and an even older $1 corn cob from the check out lane at Meijer that always smokes great.

Where do I start for a non-bank-breaking decent briarwood?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 am

broseph wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am In on new tobacco thread. Before you guys, I thought the only pipe tobacco available was the flavored stuff from my crap local shop.
This is all I ever smoke, and I fear that an expansion of my horizons will result in a lightening of my wallet. Hence I am reluctant to continue reading.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 am

broseph wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 amWhere do I start for a non-bank-breaking decent briarwood?
Want to buy my pipe that I bought and used only a few times? I really like it, but after quitting cigs, I think it's best for me to avoid all types of smoking.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

Root wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 am
broseph wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 amWhere do I start for a non-bank-breaking decent briarwood?
Want to buy my pipe that I bought and used only a few times? I really like it, but after quitting cigs, I think it's best for me to avoid all types of smoking.
PM sent.

My dad has the same issue- he likes to smoke cigars with me and my brother, but they always lead back to cigarettes for him.
TimK wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 am...I fear that an expansion of my horizons will result in a lightening of my wallet. Hence I am reluctant to continue reading.
Decent pipe tobacco is not expensive- nothing like cigars. And you can keep it in a mason jar instead of a fancy humidor... Join the dark side Tim!

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am

Good tobacco doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you aren't smoking more than 1 bowl a day. Some of my favorite tobaccos are:
- Escudo
- Squadron Leader
- Carter Hall
- Dunhill Nightcap

My favorite pipe maker is Stanwell, but those will run you $80-$110 new. IMO, cobs are the best "bang for your buck" pipe.

EDIT - This is my favorite cob, it's so good I'm tempted to buy a couple more! https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=121650

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

bugbomb wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 am Man, I really wish I could smoke more. I enjoy it every time but I'm convinced that I feel substantially worse the next day or two. Particularly when it comes to training (jiu jitsu). The weather really has been amazing, I'll probably smoke a bowl or two on Friday since I have a couple days to get over *it*.
Yeah, I feel you. It's hard to avoid getting a bit of smoke into your lungs, and pipe smoke is pretty wicked stuff. I usually feel a bit tighter in the chest the next day. I haven't smoked a pipe in ages, though I have a pretty sweet pile of tobacco aging patiently. Mostly been smoking little Backwoods cigars every so often on the porch at the boy's place when he takes smoke breaks.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm

tersh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am... Mostly been smoking little Backwoods cigars every so often on the porch at the boy's place when he takes smoke breaks.
I remember being a teenager smoking wood tipped Black & Milds with my buddies around our weekend bonfires at their parents' farm...

[Hanley-pinewood-derby-grade-nostalgia]

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Caved, got a couple little Missouri Meerschaums (a polished morgan and a little devil cutty) and a tin of Red Rapparee.
Not that I need more tobacco, exactly.

Also, curious about people's favorite Virginia-dominant tobaccos.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 am

tersh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 pm Caved, got a couple little Missouri Meerschaums (a polished morgan and a little devil cutty) and a tin of Red Rapparee.
Not that I need more tobacco, exactly.

Also, curious about people's favorite Virginia-dominant tobaccos.
Full Virginia Flake is great, but if you're nicotine-sensitive, don't smoke it in a huge bowl on an empty stomach...

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:01 am

I just realized I haven't smoked in about two months. I had been doing a bit of driving for work, and was smoking like a champ. I'm working on some MacBaren Cherry Ambrosia, which is quite enjoyable.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Chebass88 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:01 am I just realized I haven't smoked in about two months. I had been doing a bit of driving for work, and was smoking like a champ. I'm working on some MacBaren Cherry Ambrosia, which is quite enjoyable.
Sounds like an aromatic? I don't like them that much anymore, but I do enjoy Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew on occasion. My wife wishes I would smoke more blends that smell nice, because apparently blends with latakia stink :?

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm

What do actual tobacco users thing of vaping?

Is it horribly uncool and lame? If so, why?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:19 pm

cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm What do actual tobacco users thing of vaping?

If tobacco didn’t contain nicotine I would still smoke- I like the flavor and the experience. So vaping has zero appeal to me.

I think the cultural norm is for “real smokers” to think vaping is “gay.” Admittedly, I think it looks pretty stupid, but ultimately don’t care.

ETA:Image

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:19 pm
cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm What do actual tobacco users think of vaping? Is it horribly uncool and lame? If so, why?
If tobacco didn’t contain nicotine I would still smoke- I like the flavor and the experience. So vaping has zero appeal to me.

I think the cultural norm is for “real smokers” to think vaping is “gay.” Admittedly, I think it looks pretty stupid, but ultimately don’t care.
I'm asking for a friend -- my wife smokes, and refuses to quit or switch to vaping.

Anyone here tried vaping? What's wrong with it?

tersh

Post by tersh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:11 pm

cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 pm [
I'm asking for a friend -- my wife smokes, and refuses to quit or switch to vaping.

Anyone here tried vaping? What's wrong with it?
It's often the domain of annoying neckbeards, there's a bajillion different little devices that one has to sort through, and if you actually like tobacco, finding one that tastes satisfying in the way tobacco does is rather difficult.

I think of it as just an electronic hookah, myself. That's all they are, and if you like smoking fruit-flavored shisha, then vaping is for you!
If you like the taste of tobacco, or can't stand fiddling with little electronic devices, not so much.

Funny enough, vaping devices for weed are much more about preserving/enhancing the experience of smoking weed, accentuating flavor, etc.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:04 pm

I bought a cheapo vape cig as a method to quit cigarettes. All it did was make me want a cigarette.

It's obviously more palatable than cigs, but ultimately unsatisfying.

It's sort of the sous vide of inhaling drugs.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:20 pm

cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm What do actual tobacco users thing of vaping?

I think it's horribly uncool and lame for vapers to hijack a sophisticated pipe tobacco smoking thread. You'd think this was E&P, or somethin.

FWIW, whenever I see someone vaping I immediately think to myself, "what a horribly uncool and lame thing to do".

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:25 pm

As a defiantly uncool person, if I ever take up nicotine, it will be via vaping. It will go well with my baggy cargo shorts and teva sandals.

Carry on, cool tobacco guys.