Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

OrderInChaos

Re: Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Post by OrderInChaos » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:07 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am
PC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am SPICY OR NO SPICY?
Spicy! I don't think I'll bother trying the classic. The spicy is too good. It's pretty hot too.
Get a buffalo sauce and dump that on the filet next time. Better'n Franks

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:07 am
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am
PC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am SPICY OR NO SPICY?
Spicy! I don't think I'll bother trying the classic. The spicy is too good. It's pretty hot too.
Get a buffalo sauce and dump that on the filet next time. Better'n Franks
How dare you attempt to improve on perfection!

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am Oh lordy this this thing is delicious!!! I drove to a nearby town where there is a Popeye's with a drive through so I could avoid having to line up to go into the ghetto location.

I got two sandwiches for myself, one with a combo so I could eat some Cajun Fries. I could eat the second, but I'd be sick. These are far more substantial than Chik-fil-a. And the bun is buttery. What a sandwhich. It's a nice piece of Popey's fried chicken on a bun with some magic sauce.

I'll probably get two sandwiches and no fries next time. . . . The second sandwich is sitting in front of me calling my name.
@Hanley you drive the 117 miles yet?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:38 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am I drove to a nearby town where there is a Popeye's with a drive through so I could avoid having to line up to go into the ghetto location.
They sell the same shit at every location, but I can only imagine the unsavory characters lurking in the, uh, darkness of the "ghetto" location.

Anyway, the sandwich… It’s all right. I was much more enamored with it about three months back, when the ‘Rona lockdown stuff began. It was an easy “cheat” meal for my macros (28 grams of protein ain’t too shabby). I’ve had about five or six more since then, but after each subsequent trip, it seems like they make them with less love and care. They’re more lopsided (makes it harder to eat and drive), and I swear the buns are getting smaller. But that spicy mayonnaise slaps so hard.

The Chick-fil-A sandwich has more protein, though, and supposedly much less fat. If the drive-thru line at CFA wasn’t always so long, their sandwich would be my first choice. Thankfully, I don’t have to idle too long in any ghettoes at either restaurant, so there’s no one to endanger my life.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:38 pm
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am I drove to a nearby town where there is a Popeye's with a drive through so I could avoid having to line up to go into the ghetto location.
They sell the same shit at every location, but I can only imagine the unsavory characters lurking in the, uh, darkness of the "ghetto" location.
Fuck you too. (I bet you there are more black people or at least a higher percentage living within two blocks of me than you.)

Either way, I drove 5 extra miles to mainly use the drive through. The ghetto location is walk in only. The owners at the ghetto store are also rude. (No, they aren't black.)

It's also in one of the only areas in town where there is violent crime. There are always people standing around outside liquor stores, etc. that are pretty much right next door to the Popeye's.

I have to drive past there to get to work. A few months ago, I was at a light and a guy lifted up my windshield wipers to provoke me. . . .

Believe it or not, there are bad neighborhoods. It's rational to avoid them. It's rational to move out of them. It's not some myth. Ex. There are a few of them in NYC. I generally avoided these place. If I ever had to do, I got fucked with. Nearly all the recent shootings have been in these places.

And, in my experience, poor black people tend to be much more racist than any other group I've encountered. I'm not sure I know many white people who haven't been subject to anti white racism when they've gone to all black neighborhoods. It's nearly routine. I've experienced it in Houston, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Chicago, and here, at least. People try to start fights. Sorry, I'm not interested. I just want a chicken sandwich.

So, ya, I avoid spending much time walking around poor neighborhoods. I've encountered too many racists and people with nothing to do than start shit.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm
(I bet you there are more black people or at least a higher percentage living within two blocks of me than you.)
Err, I strongly, strongly doubt that. Not sure what point you intended to make with that assumption.

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm I've encountered too many racists and people with nothing to do than start shit.
Ditto.

Anyway, sandwiches...

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 pm
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am
(I bet you there are more black people or at least a higher percentage living within two blocks of me than you.)
Err, I strongly, strongly doubt that. Not sure what point you intended to make with that assumption.
It doesn't really matter either way. The point is that you accused me of being racist for not wanting to go to the shitty Popeyes without a drive through in a shitty area. . . . I wouldn't live where I do if I had a problem with black or brown people. My point was that you can fuck off.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am Oh lordy this this thing is delicious!!! I drove to a nearby town where there is a Popeye's with a drive through so I could avoid having to line up to go into the ghetto location.

I got two sandwiches for myself, one with a combo so I could eat some Cajun Fries. I could eat the second, but I'd be sick. These are far more substantial than Chik-fil-a. And the bun is buttery. What a sandwhich. It's a nice piece of Popey's fried chicken on a bun with some magic sauce.

I'll probably get two sandwiches and no fries next time. . . . The second sandwich is sitting in front of me calling my name.
Goddamit. No. That's one way.

I'm gonna try this:

https://gimmedelicious.com/popeyes-chicken-sandwich/

C'mon. Let's make some delicious sandwiches.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:49 am

Hanley wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 am
omaniphil wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Goddamit. No. That's one way.

I'm gonna try this:

https://gimmedelicious.com/popeyes-chicken-sandwich/

C'mon. Let's make some delicious sandwiches.
That looks good. I think there is some heat in the chicken and not just in the sauce.

The video has you put some hot sauce in the marinade. It's not listed in the marinade instructions or ingredients. I'd add some or some cayenne.

The problem for me will be in finding a brioche roll that's not overpowering. The Popeye's brioche is pretty tame and soft.

I'm not sure that frying in canola is going to replicate Popeye's all that well. I'm pretty sure they fry in lard. I'm not going to do that. What a mess.

And I bet the recipe will need a little dash of MSG. There's something extra special about that chicken. . . .

-----

I'm making DIY Shake Shack tonight. It's pretty easy to make a better version of the smoke shack burger at home.

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 am

These are the best chicken sandwiches I’ve had, better than Popeye’s or Chick Fil A’s. It just makes a mess and takes a while-https://thechickenwire.chick-fil-a.com/ ... n-sandwich

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 am

220Eric wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 am These are the best chicken sandwiches I’ve had, better than Popeye’s or Chick Fil A’s. It just makes a mess and takes a while-https://thechickenwire.chick-fil-a.com/ ... n-sandwich
I'm curious to see how that salad dressing impacts the flavor. Does it make it too salty?

Are those Hawaiian (spell check helped me there) rolls a little sweeter than Chick Fil A's? I haven't had one of those in a while.

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:28 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 amI'm curious to see how that salad dressing impacts the flavor. Does it make it too salty?

Are those Hawaiian (spell check helped me there) rolls a little sweeter than Chick Fil A's? I haven't had one of those in a while.
Good point! We do we use 1/3 the salt than in the recipe. Also we’ve substituted spicy or hot paprika before ordering the Espelette pepper and same for the Frank’s Extra Hot, we just subbed the regular Franks. The Hawaiian buns are much sweeter than Chick Fil A’s. These don’t taste much like the Chick Fil A sandwich to me, in fact they taste more like the Popeye’s sandwich except better, they’re more intense and bolder, oh and of course saltier. If you like cooking and have the time, you want be disappointed.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

Made another run to the Popeye's with a drive through. Stupidly arrived at 12:30. There were about 8-10 cars ahead of us. It took 20 minutes! But it was worth it. . . . Several people who were in line just drove away after waiting a few minutes.

Chick-Fil-A can handle at least 5 times the volume. I've been in line with 20 cars and it's taken less than 5 minutes. Popeye's needs to get its shit together. They could make far more money.

Rhavok82

Post by Rhavok82 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Damn that looks good though @iamsmu

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Rhavok82 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 pm Damn that looks good though iamsmu
I now understand why people were fighting when they ran out. It's a big ol' piece of Popeyes chicken on a bun! Kind of a heavy lunch though.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 am

How is it possible the ChikFilA sandwich has more protein? (This is according to their web sites.)

Popeye's sandwich seems larger.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 am

How is it possible the ChikFilA sandwich has more protein? (This is according to their web sites.)

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 am

hector wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 am How is it possible the ChikFilA sandwich has more protein? (This is according to their web sites.)

Sooooo much breading on the Popeyes.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 am

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/menu-items/ ... n-sandwich

440 calories
29g protein

https://www.popeyes.com/nutritional-information

700 calories (for the spicy)
28g protein

-------

Weird the Popeye's piece of chicken does seem much larger.

Ya, I guess the Popeye's is a big crunchy layer around a small piece of chicken. It's some kind of brilliant illusion. . . . I got Chick-Fil-A again yesterday. The breading is barely painted on.

Here's their stock photo. I've never seen that much crust on an actual sandwich though.

[Looking at this is making me hungry for Chick-Fil-A again!]

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:05 am

Memory can't be trusted, so I ran out to Chick-Fil-A to get a couple sandwiches to test.

They had a little more breading than I recall.

The first piece of chicken weighed 4.3 ounces.

The second one weighed exactly 4 ounces.

I'm not sure how much of the weight is the breading. If this was pure chicken we are looking at 32 grams per sandwich not counting the whatever might be in the bun. Subtract the breading and I bet we are still above the listed 29 grams.

I guess I'll have to get a Popeye's to test soon. . . . .