Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

iamsmu

Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Post by iamsmu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Has anyone here tried the Popeye's chicken sandwich and survived? Is it better than Chick-fil-A? Did it make you fly into a fit of rage? Or do they even exist? Is it just some kind of fight club setup \ social experiment where they trap hungry people in lines for hours at a time to see what will happen?

heidikay

Re: Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Post by heidikay » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:36 pm

ch

Post by ch » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 pm

It's better than Chick-fil-A, especially if you get a fresh one. If it steams in the bag too long, it gets soggy, and the breading is what really sets it apart. The spicy sandwich is great, and actually spicy. The classic one didn't impress me as much, but I think it was old.

That said, you have to be crazy to wait in ridiculous lines for a fast food chicken sandwich. I went twice, once at about 10:30 PM (waited less than 10 minutes in the drive-thru line), the other at 10am (right when they opened) on a day I had to go into work late. There were 5 other people waiting for the doors to open, and probably 20-25 total came through in the time I was eating my sandwich. It's insane.

At the risk of sounding like a fast-food hipster, I miss the days when how good Popeyes is was kind of a secret.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm

ch wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 pm
That said, you have to be crazy to wait in ridiculous lines for a fast food chicken sandwich. I went twice, once at about 10:30 PM (waited less than 10 minutes in the drive-thru line), the other at 10am (right when they opened) on a day I had to go into work late. There were 5 other people waiting for the doors to open, and probably 20-25 total came through in the time I was eating my sandwich. It's insane.
Be careful. You might fly into a fit of rage. Or one of those other 25 might. Those things are dangerous. My nearest Popeye's is in a not so nice section of town that I don't like to go to late at night. . . . I go there one a year, since I love the biscuits that make me thirsty for days. Now I'm going to go at lunch and try that damn sandwich.

ch

Post by ch » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:12 pm

iamsmu wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm Be careful. You might fly into a fit of rage. Or one of those other 25 might. Those things are dangerous. My nearest Popeye's is in a not so nice section of town that I don't like to go to late at night. . . . I go there one a year, since I love the biscuits that make me thirsty for days. Now I'm going to go at lunch and try that damn sandwich.
Popeyes on my way to basically everything from my last house. It was my go-to when I was running late to something. This stupid chicken sandwich craze ruined it.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Thank fuck. No Popeye's within a 2 hours.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Hanley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:31 pm Thank fuck. No Popeye's within a 2 hours.
Sounds like a legitimate franchise opportunity.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:29 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Hanley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:31 pm Thank fuck. No Popeye's within a 2 hours.
Sounds like a legitimate franchise opportunity.
No shit. Surely you can find someone to manage it within 6 months. After getting it going you can just show up once a week or so, look over the books, and collect the $.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm

ch wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:12 pm Popeyes on my way to basically everything from my last house. It was my go-to when I was running late to something. This stupid chicken sandwich craze ruined it.
You were a Clevelander, right? I stopped at the Popeyes on Carnegie and E 71st about once every other week for a stretch of time in the late 2000s. Well, either Popeyes or Hot Sauce William's. Those were the days.

ch

Post by ch » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:04 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm You were a Clevelander, right? I stopped at the Popeyes on Carnegie and E 71st about once every other week for a stretch of time in the late 2000s. Well, either Popeyes or Hot Sauce William's. Those were the days.
Yeah, I lived on the west side though, so not many Hot Sauce Williams visits.

I got another Popeyes chicken sandwich today and it was just okay. Only 10 minutes in the drive thru line at 7pm.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:09 pm

https://wgntv.com/2019/11/16/seven-work ... -on-video/
Soon, the situation cooled off -- and Fourté left empty-handed.
"Honestly, I wasn't even going to get the chicken sandwich," Fourté said.

When police arrived on scene, they determined no weapons were involved -- and no arrests were made. It is unclear what sparked the altercation.
Unclear!?! What? It was the chicken sandwich. The employees must have been eating them.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Popeye's chicken sandwich is starting to sound like something out of J horror: a viral vector of violence. I'm frankly scared of it.
I guess I won't be able to get any of their dirty rice anytime soon.

ch

Post by ch » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Chick-fil-A To Stop Donations To Charities With Anti-LGBT Views

Conspiracy theory: This was really because Popeyes became a serious competitor.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 am

Give me another credible source for that EXCLUSIVE NEWS and I might finally give their nuggets a shot. Wife takes our kid there because they have a play place and she has no morals. (Kidding) (sort of)

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 am

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 am

fun story.

I almost got into a altercation over a (two) chicken sandwich at chik-fil-a. NO shit.

I had ordered something pretty odd: Two spicy grilled chicken sandwiches, no cheese, and my son's nugget combo meal.

There were two identical orders, same names, right down to the side-sauce for the nuggets... no cheese on the TWO chicken sandwiches.
Amazing coincidence.

Younger dude got all chippy when I wanted to sort it out via my/his printed receipt(s)....
Immediately wanted to fite me.
I thought that THAT ^ was the clue he was stealing food or something.
Or maybe he thought I was? But I was the one calling "for receipts"?

Eventually it got sorted out, by the staff.
But we were at DEFCON 4.9 bro
Taller kid, but super skinny. I woulda killed him!!!11!!!

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 am Younger dude got all chippy when I wanted to sort it out via my/his printed receipt(s)....
Immediately wanted to fite me.
I thought that THAT ^ was the clue he was stealing food or something.
Or maybe he thought I was? But I was the one calling "for receipts"?
Are you sure you weren't at KFC? Every time I've been to Chick-Fil-A, I've been personally handed my order by the manager, who politely inquired if there was anything else he could do to make my day even a little bit easier and a "My pleasure" when I said "No, thank you!".

That said, I'd totally bust some punk ass if they tried to take my sandwich. You should have told the kid that you ordered 2 and took his as well.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 pm

It was really busy. They were just calling out names at the end of the counter.

My son loves chik-fil-a.
Better than McD's etal I guess.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:13 am

Oh, went to Popeyes to get a chicken sandwich. Brother in Law has been telling me stories about how comically bad the service is, got to experience it first hand.
Pull up to speaker.
Box: "Shoaskndhudn"
Me: "Uh, I'll have 4 chicken sandwiches."
Box "ryvnye"
Me: "Uh..."
Box: "No sandwiches."
Me: "Hmm. OK, I'll have a 4 piece tender with fries..."
Box: "no fries"
Me: "..."

We ended up just leaving before we got to the window and going to the hipster fried chicken place in the Hipsterton neighborhood.

ch

Post by ch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:35 am

The lines have gotten significantly shorter at the Popeye's I drive past every day. It could be because the hype has died down, or it could be because this location is near a college campus, and they're on break. I will say it's still busier than it ever was before the chicken sandwich craze started.

I still rate the chicken sandwich as "pretty good." I'm all about the red beans and rice, though.