Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Culican

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by Culican » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:11 am

James wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:31 am How does that even work? Adding just a little liquid to whey seems to turn it into glue.
It didn't work for me. I tried it with a whole scoop (31g) and while it tasted fine, a lot of it stuck to my teeth. Swishing more water in my mouth did nothing to dislodge it. I had to go brush my teeth, use the Water PIk, and then brush them again to get rid of the residue. Won't be trying it again.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:58 pm

lehman906 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:11 amDo people usually only use 30 gms in a shake?
I do, though it's moreso out of habit at this point than for any other reason.

I used to drink one shake before heading to the gym, and one more some time after, prior to eating dinner. I mix them with milk, though, and used to be concerned about showing up at the gym with too much dairy sloshing around in my stomach. Nothing worse than committing to getting some lifting done before work and immediately having to shit (again) upon arrival at the bench station.

At some point, I also used to believe the stuff about the body only being able to absorb some arbitrary amount of protein within a certain amount of time, so there was that, too.

I try to get the rest of my protein via grazing throughout the day.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Client of mine had kidney stones and his doctor insisted they were the result of using protein powder. I’ve never found anything to support that position but also never have been able to get it out of the back of my head, and so am (probably very stupidly) judicious with how much I ingest.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:33 pm

1. Is metabolism slowing as you age a myth?

2. If I get to 165lbs or lower, will I have as much trouble gaining strength as I did when I was 165lbs before I trained with barbells?

3. If the universe is infinite, could there possibly be regions of space that have different laws of physics, and if this isn't possible, isn't that kind of boring that whatever biological organisms out there are subject to the same ol' same ol' bizarre adventure of material world that we find ourselves inexplicably in, and are consumed with such ennui at the fact that either consciously or subconsciously they seek out something that could perhaps be considered God™, despite no evidence of anything that could deliver us from this mundane existence? Or is it that in what seems to be mundane that there is a wealth of spontaineity, and that in a broader sense (discounting material realities such as death, capitalism if you're poor, communism if you are rich or own a boat dealership, cops if you are black, cats if you are a dog, dogs if you are a cat, water if you are dry and sex if you are sexless, booty if you are bootyless) the only prisons are indeed the ones we construct for ourselves? Could it be that life isn't meant to be understood? Could it be that it couldn't be?

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:44 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:33 pm 1. Is metabolism slowing as you age a myth?

2. If I get to 165lbs or lower, will I have as much trouble gaining strength as I did when I was 165lbs before I trained with barbells?

3. If the universe is infinite, could there possibly be regions of space that have different laws of physics, and if this isn't possible, isn't that kind of boring that whatever biological organisms out there are subject to the same ol' same ol' bizarre adventure of material world that we find ourselves inexplicably in, and are consumed with such ennui at the fact that either consciously or subconsciously they seek out something that could perhaps be considered God™, despite no evidence of anything that could deliver us from this mundane existence? Or is it that in what seems to be mundane that there is a wealth of spontaineity, and that in a broader sense (discounting material realities such as death, capitalism if you're poor, communism if you are rich or own a boat dealership, cops if you are black, cats if you are a dog, dogs if you are a cat, water if you are dry and sex if you are sexless, booty if you are bootyless) the only prisons are indeed the ones we construct for ourselves? Could it be that life isn't meant to be understood? Could it be that it couldn't be?
1. I don't think so.

2. Short answer, yes with an if. Long answer, no with a but.

3. The reality we comprehend is a 4 dimensional projection of a more complex whole.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Man blinked. “What is the purpose of all this?” he asked politely.
“Everything must have a purpose?” asked God.
“Certainly,” said man.
“Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this,” said God
--Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

James

Post by James » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:18 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:33 pm 1. Is metabolism slowing as you age a myth?
"Research Spotlight: Does metabolic rate drop as we age?"

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/resea ... olic-rate/

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:41 am

Yes, probably.
Try it and see what works for you.
I don't know.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:58 am

Some of you guys dry scooping your powdered goods were never dumb enough to try that whole eat-a-tablespoon-of-cinnamon thing we all did back in my old kitchen worker days and it shows...

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 am

1. Yes until like 65 or some shit, people just become more sedentary and that lowers their TDEE.

2. Probably not. I finished most of my runs at LP around my current bodyweight (190lbs) and could not add another fahve lbs to save my life. This time I am much bigger and leaner at the same weight while still gaining strength. It's just slower for me, and I've got the whole too tall for my weight class thing going on.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:33 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 am
1. Yes until like 65 or some shit, people just become more sedentary and that lowers their TDEE.

I'm going to disagree here.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDFAQ

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDHAQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=basal+m ... WW8RPTrcjM

However, I think people over-interpret this. Your BMR drops around age 26, but (and I think more importantly) your TDEE drops a lot as well for people. You're not living downtown/campus, walking everywhere. Office job vs other. Kids/exhaustion/middle age malaise vs young and getting at it. Sedentary hobbies vs sports leagues.

It's the combo of the two that really hurts, and you can counter the second via increased activity/standing desks. Also, diet is controllable.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 pm

5hout wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:33 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 am

I'm going to disagree here.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDFAQ

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDHAQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=basal+m ... WW8RPTrcjM

However, I think people over-interpret this. Your BMR drops around age 26, but (and I think more importantly) your TDEE drops a lot as well for people. You're not living downtown/campus, walking everywhere. Office job vs other. Kids/exhaustion/middle age malaise vs young and getting at it. Sedentary hobbies vs sports leagues.

It's the combo of the two that really hurts, and you can counter the second via increased activity/standing desks. Also, diet is controllable.
It looks to me as if you two essentially agree.

I’m not sure if those images are of Pontzer’s work, but they seem to reflect what was found with metabolism: it’s high until around 20, drops precipitously and then remains almost unchanged until around 60, and then decreases around 1% per year until death.

From what I understand after listening to Pontzer on BBM’s podcast and reading his book, TDEE doesn’t really change that much either—apparently humans burn around the same range of calories each day regardless of who you are.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:48 pm

alek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 pm apparently humans burn around the same range of calories each day regardless of who you are.
And regardless of what you do. American office workers expends about the same range of calories as East African hunter/gatherers (according to Pontzer).

alek

Post by alek » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 am

asdf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:48 pm
alek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 pm apparently humans burn around the same range of calories each day regardless of who you are.
And regardless of what you do. American office workers expends about the same range of calories as East African hunter/gatherers (according to Pontzer).
Right! I found that to be extremely fascinating. I can't find the image I'm thinking of from his book, but the one that depicts physical activity, non-essential bodily functions, and essential bodily functions I thought was a really great way of showing what happens. It theorized that the beneficial effects of exercise come from using calories that would have gone to non-essential bodily functions, like systemic inflammation, to fuel physical activity. It also gave a good, in my opinion, definition of overtraining--whereby you do so much physical activity that you not only rob your body of calories for non-essential functions, but you start to rob calories from essential functions like reproductive stuff.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 am

Interesting. First time hearing this argument...

alek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 amIt also gave a good, in my opinion, definition of overtraining--whereby you do so much physical activity that you not only rob your body of calories for non-essential functions, but you start to rob calories from essential functions like reproductive stuff.
So, from a caloric expenditure standpoint, would a sedentary undereater experience the same dangers as an "overtrained" person, regarding bodily functions?

alek

Post by alek » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:25 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 am
The bolded was the big finding of Pontzer's work with the Hadza. It was expected that since they locomote about a half-marathon every day, then their TDEE would be through the roof, but it wasn't. It was in line with essentially every other human population tested.

I may be missing some detail about if it's measured absolutely or relatively with respect to their height/weight/something else, but it's in the book--and I assume his actual papers. I have plans to buy the book next month, but I first picked it up from my local library; it's a great read.
alek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 amIt also gave a good, in my opinion, definition of overtraining--whereby you do so much physical activity that you not only rob your body of calories for non-essential functions, but you start to rob calories from essential functions like reproductive stuff.
So, from a caloric expenditure standpoint, would a sedentary undereater experience the same dangers as an "overtrained" person, regarding bodily functions?
For this, if the sedentary undereater is in a large enough caloric deficit, then yes, that probably would happen.

Actually, I don't think you have to be sedentary; you just have to undereat enough--think of the female bodybuilders that lose their period. They're probably not burning enough calories such that their physical activity is causing the "overtraining", but extreme cutting is causing it.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:52 am

alek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:25 am
Renascent wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 am
The bolded was the big finding of Pontzer's work with the Hadza. It was expected that since they locomote about a half-marathon every day, then their TDEE would be through the roof, but it wasn't. It was in line with essentially every other human population tested.

I may be missing some detail about if it's measured absolutely or relatively with respect to their height/weight/something else, but it's in the book--and I assume his actual papers. I have plans to buy the book next month, but I first picked it up from my local library; it's a great read.
For this, if the sedentary undereater is in a large enough caloric deficit, then yes, that probably would happen.

Actually, I don't think you have to be sedentary; you just have to undereat enough--think of the female bodybuilders that lose their period. They're probably not burning enough calories such that their physical activity is causing the "overtraining", but extreme cutting is causing it.
I think either BBM or Stronger by Science talked about this recently, and they did find that the Amish TDEE was in fact through the roof. I think the difference (IIRC) was that they were eating in a surplus, when hunter/gatherers on average are not. The Amish men were taking in something like 4500 calories per day but still retained low body fat percentages.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:04 am

lehman906 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:52 am I think either BBM or Stronger by Science talked about this recently, and they did find that the Amish TDEE was in fact through the roof. I think the difference (IIRC) was that they were eating in a surplus, when hunter/gatherers on average are not. The Amish men were taking in something like 4500 calories per day but still retained low body fat percentages.
Oh wow. Was it a podcast?

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:10 am

alek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:04 am
lehman906 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:52 am I think either BBM or Stronger by Science talked about this recently, and they did find that the Amish TDEE was in fact through the roof. I think the difference (IIRC) was that they were eating in a surplus, when hunter/gatherers on average are not. The Amish men were taking in something like 4500 calories per day but still retained low body fat percentages.
Yes, but I'm not sure which one. I listen to too many. I *think* it might have been a BBM Q&A episode? It's possible that it was Eric Helms on Iron Culture, though. This isn't helpful. I think it was BBM.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 am

lehman906 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:10 am
alek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:04 am
Yes, but I'm not sure which one. I listen to too many. I *think* it might have been a BBM Q&A episode? It's possible that it was Eric Helms on Iron Culture, though. This isn't helpful. I think it was BBM.
LOL. Thanks, I'll see if I can find it.