Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

ChasingCurls69

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:26 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:53 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:47 pmWhat the other guys said about bodybuilding stuff, but probably just arm stuff. I had similar experiences, and the difference in how people perceive me at the same low bodyweight but +2 inches to arms is weirdly different. I just do myoreps or 2-3 straight sets with the last set taken to failure 1-2x/week now.
When you say “now,” did you gain the +2 inches doing this, or did you do something else and now you’re maintaining the size doing this?

Assuming this, also curious, what movements and how much more weight in your preferred rep ranges are you lifting now versus pre-growth explosion?
I gained +2 inches at the current bodyweight doing this for arms specifically, but on top of my usual programming for PL. And I should probably add that I started training dips regularly in the last year or so. But doing myoreps or a 2-3 hard sets with one taken to failure is the only way I can mostly stick to doing my arm work after all the main stuff.

Last time I weighed 190 in like 2018, I did my first PL meet and squatted 342, benched 209, deadlifted 530. Currently at 190 I've squatted 419, benched 265 in the gym, and deadlifted 635. My arms are bigger now than they were when I was 20lbs heavier, and all my lifts are stronger now than when I was heavier, but slightly less than earlier this year when I was 195-198.

Also just realized after writing all that, that you probs meant preferred arm movements. Dips went from 10-11 BW reps to +55lbs x8, 14 paused reps with BW. DB Lying Triceps extensions went from 35x10-12 with two DBs, to one DB in the middle at 85x13. Incline DB curls went from 20x15 to 30x15, hammer curls went from 30x10 to 40x10. I suck ass at DB overhead triceps and do like 30lbs x12-15 reps but it gives a good stimulus.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:03 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:26 pm
DCR wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:53 am
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:47 pmWhat the other guys said about bodybuilding stuff, but probably just arm stuff. I had similar experiences, and the difference in how people perceive me at the same low bodyweight but +2 inches to arms is weirdly different. I just do myoreps or 2-3 straight sets with the last set taken to failure 1-2x/week now.
When you say “now,” did you gain the +2 inches doing this, or did you do something else and now you’re maintaining the size doing this?

Assuming this, also curious, what movements and how much more weight in your preferred rep ranges are you lifting now versus pre-growth explosion?
I gained +2 inches at the current bodyweight doing this for arms specifically, but on top of my usual programming for PL. And I should probably add that I started training dips regularly in the last year or so. But doing myoreps or a 2-3 hard sets with one taken to failure is the only way I can mostly stick to doing my arm work after all the main stuff.

Last time I weighed 190 in like 2018, I did my first PL meet and squatted 342, benched 209, deadlifted 530. Currently at 190 I've squatted 419, benched 265 in the gym, and deadlifted 635. My arms are bigger now than they were when I was 20lbs heavier, and all my lifts are stronger now than when I was heavier, but slightly less than earlier this year when I was 195-198.

Also just realized after writing all that, that you probs meant preferred arm movements. Dips went from 10-11 BW reps to +55lbs x8, 14 paused reps with BW. DB Lying Triceps extensions went from 35x10-12 with two DBs, to one DB in the middle at 85x13. Incline DB curls went from 20x15 to 30x15, hammer curls went from 30x10 to 40x10. I suck ass at DB overhead triceps and do like 30lbs x12-15 reps but it gives a good stimulus.
Yup, that’s what I meant, and it tracks as expected. Training to handle heavier weights in a bodybuilding rep range makes shit bigger… what a crazy concept lol. That you did this with no increase in bodyweight is awesome and a lesson (from which I will try to learn after gaining 6 lbs over the long weekend).

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:08 pm

@DCR

I mean, I don't really ignore you guys. I just like to bitch lol. When I was still running Nuckols stuff before I got into running I was tweaking things so what I was doing was closer to bodybuilding type stuff. I've noticed that I don't respond to low volume work at all, for any sort of lifts. When I was pulling in the mid 400's I was doing like multiple sets of deadlifts a few times a week. I think I have trouble getting into the same headspace for upper body lifts.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:18 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:08 pm @DCR

I mean, I don't really ignore you guys. I just like to bitch lol. When I was still running Nuckols stuff before I got into running I was tweaking things so what I was doing was closer to bodybuilding type stuff. I've noticed that I don't respond to low volume work at all, for any sort of lifts. When I was pulling in the mid 400's I was doing like multiple sets of deadlifts a few times a week. I think I have trouble getting into the same headspace for upper body lifts.
No worries, dude. My post wasn’t directed at you, but rather just agreeing with the idea of actively pursuing bodybuilding work to, well, bodybuild, as opposed to trying to tack it onto an internet powerlifting program.

Of course I’m guilty as well. I ditched deadlifting completely sometime last year, but still spending tons of focus on (shitty) squat and bench numbers.

quikky

Post by quikky » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:37 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:08 pm I've noticed that I don't respond to low volume work at all, for any sort of lifts.
What did this programming look like?

Reason why I ask is that generally speaking, volume and intensity are kind of like a seesaw - when one goes up, the other must come down, and vice versa. So, if you were doing low volume at low-ish, or even moderate intensities, I wouldn't expect it to work well. Also, only doing the big lifts is not the best choice for to this approach, if that was the case.

---

P.S. I should have more carefully read what you wrote originally, as I misread it before my previous response here. Sorry.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:20 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:35 pm Why do people underestimate my power on such a frequent basis? Is it due to having a meek demeanor? Any time I talk about my physical pursuits people look at me like I'm a moron. This is in like, relevant conversation as well, so it's not like I'm just randomly flexing on people. When I've brought up that I can pull 400+ people never believe me. I work a very physical job and people always step in for me like I'm gonna hurt myself when I'm picking heavy shit up. Is it just a function of being a naturally skinny dude? Now that I've lost weight I look just like a regular skinny dude. Be careful you'll hurt yourself!!!! No one even believes that I have run a half marathon. They just look at me like I'd give up during the first mile.

I get that this is sort of a weird, narcissistic thing to rant about, but it's really been getting to me lately...
I know you didn't ask for advice, but... fuck it.

If you care about what they think, do some targeted upper traps and lat work. I think people forgive gangly arms if you have traps that look like you throw r*id-rage fits at the dinner table when someone serves you a portion size that would make a medieval peasant balk.

But if you don't care what they think...

Having been in a position similar to yours, I'd suggest stepping aside when coworkers offer to help you, and let them do the heavy lifting. There's a benefit to sleeper-strength: people won't ask you to help them move heavy things and they'll willingly step in to assert themselves in situations that would otherwise sap your energy and waste reserves that could be better spent on training in private. Business owners generally don't pay well enough for you to give them back the calories you work to buy.

Even if your coworkers mean well, hang back and accept the help. You just saved yourself some trouble, and more energy to deadlift on your time.

I'm all for vanity too, but one could argue that there's a certain kind of "strength" in not needing people to know you're "strong."

dw

Post by dw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:54 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:20 pm
EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:35 pm Why do people underestimate my power on such a frequent basis? Is it due to having a meek demeanor? Any time I talk about my physical pursuits people look at me like I'm a moron. This is in like, relevant conversation as well, so it's not like I'm just randomly flexing on people. When I've brought up that I can pull 400+ people never believe me. I work a very physical job and people always step in for me like I'm gonna hurt myself when I'm picking heavy shit up. Is it just a function of being a naturally skinny dude? Now that I've lost weight I look just like a regular skinny dude. Be careful you'll hurt yourself!!!! No one even believes that I have run a half marathon. They just look at me like I'd give up during the first mile.

I get that this is sort of a weird, narcissistic thing to rant about, but it's really been getting to me lately...

If you care about what they think, do some targeted upper traps and lat work. I think people forgive gangly arms if you have traps that look like you throw r*id-rage fits at the dinner table when someone serves you a portion size that would make a medieval peasant balk.

Having been in a position similar to yours, I'd suggest stepping aside when coworkers offer to help you, and let them do the heavy lifting. There's a benefit to sleeper-strength: people won't ask you to help them move heavy things and they'll willingly step in to assert themselves in situations that would otherwise sap your energy and waste reserves that could be better spent on training in private. Business owners generally don't pay well enough for you to give them back the calories you work to buy.

Even if your coworkers mean well, hang back and accept the help. You just saved yourself some trouble, and more energy to deadlift on your time.

I'm all for vanity too, but one could argue that there's a certain kind of "strength" in not needing people to know you're "strong."

What are you preferred traps exercises?

I have tried shrug variations and while I'm sure they'd work over time they all feel kind of... inefficient to me. Like I'm barely moving anything.

I wonder if there's a slightly more compound movement (short of actual DLs) that's good for traps.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:28 am

dw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:54 amWhat are you preferred traps exercises?

I have tried shrug variations and while I'm sure they'd work over time they all feel kind of... inefficient to me. Like I'm barely moving anything.

I wonder if there's a slightly more compound movement (short of actual DLs) that's good for traps.
For the upper traps, what seems to have worked best for me is regular old shrugs.

Reasonably heavy, and with straps. I think the initial lengthening of the musculature at the start helps to make up for the (seemingly) short range of motion. I thought I was barely moving anything too, until I made a point to face the mirror. You're probably moving through a greater range of motion than it might seem.

I've seen results from seated dumbbell shrugs and standing plate shrugs, but barbell shrugs seem to have finally clicked for me. I suspect it's a matter of being able to use more weight, and attempting to hold it for at least a second at the top. To be fair, I think mgil was right in that it's probably not necessary to use a lot of weight to stress the upper traps (I just like how heavy shrugs feel).

I also took a cue from something you mentioned awhile back about using a wide grip to match up with the angle of the fiber orientation (I think you mentioned a suggestion from Jeff Nippard). My grip's not quite as wide as I'd use for snatch-grip deadlifts, but definitely wider than shoulder-width. I try to focus on both bringing my shoulders towards my neck and shrugging upward.

Sometimes I'll use cable shrugs for the sake of volume (or boredom) with a much lighter load.

I got some results from clean high-pulls awhile back, but honestly they were too tiring and I wanted to go for something that would allow more weight to be used with more stability. I like power shrugs too (à la Rippetoe), but I suspected the momentum was depriving me of some useful isometric work at the top of the shrug, so I haven't used them in a while.

Neck extensions are fun too, but I've gotten kind of lazy with keeping those in rotation.

For the rest of the traps, horizontal shrugs didn't seem like they were doing much until I saw the results in the mirror some weeks later. And the "alphabet" raises are boring as all hell, but ... they're worth the time, in my opinion. I prefer using a cable instead of plates or dumbbells for those.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:55 am

dw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:54 am

On lateral raises it becomes almost entirely traps above horizontal. I t doesn't require anything particularly heavy because your arms are a pretty significant lever. I don't think that they are as good as heavy shrugs with a pause at the top, and trap bar shrugs are probably better than regular bar, but just doing that above horizontal part (Not even all the way up) will put a burn in them.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:06 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:55 am

On lateral raises it becomes almost entirely traps above horizontal. I t doesn't require anything particularly heavy because your arms are a pretty significant lever. I don't think that they are as good as heavy shrugs with a pause at the top, and trap bar shrugs are probably better than regular bar, but just doing that above horizontal part (Not even all the way up) will put a burn in them.
This made me remember that (I think) I got some growth out of behind-the-neck snatch presses too, due to the shoulder angle involved.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:44 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:06 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:55 am

This made me remember that (I think) I got some growth out of behind-the-neck snatch presses too, due to the shoulder angle involved.

Thanks for the responses. I actually had noticed some trap development from lateral raises. That's a good point... I could try to do those in a trappier way or something.

Renascent what did you mean by the alphabet raises? Also do you think you get upper trap development from the neck extensions? (You should on paper, it just seems like nobody thinks of them in those terms.)

I could definitely just add neck extensions (I do curls now) because I like neck training.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:45 pm

dw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:44 pmThanks for the responses. I actually had noticed some trap development from lateral raises. That's a good point... I could try to do those in a trappier way or something.

Renascent what did you mean by the alphabet raises? Also do you think you get upper trap development from the neck extensions? (You should on paper, it just seems like nobody thinks of them in those terms.)

I could definitely just add neck extensions (I do curls now) because I like neck training.
Alphabet raises as in "Y-Raises," "T-Raises," "W-Raises," and "A-Raises."

I rarely bother with A-Raises, but sometimes I'll use a variation of a reverse flye with a cable that might achieve a similar effect. They're all basically variations of a reverse flye anyway (with changes to the lever length), so you get the additional benefits of rhomboid and rear delt work too. I suspect grip probably affects muscle "activation" too -- with regard to lat contribution -- but I'd leave that to smarter minds than my own to figure out for certain. I want to play around with prone shrugs with a supinated grip eventually -- just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I suspect neck extensions help, even if only from a visual perspective; on paper, considering the insertion point at the bottom of the skull, I don't see how traps can't be involved in neck extension. Anecdotally, yeah, my neck looked a little different from the side when I was doing neck extensions more consistently.

Also, like @Hardartery said, I think there's an appreciable contribution from the traps when you perform lateral raises a certain way. I like to grab the side of the rack and lean for more artificial ROM; this means I'm finishing the rep above shoulder-height. Lateral raises have helped alleviate some TOS-like issues in the past whenever I've gotten too aggressive with press volume.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:15 am

@mbasic can’t believe the timing of this but one of my lats has been bothering me for a few weeks and deficit stiff legs on Saturday REALLY pissed it off. Lo and behold, I could feel discomfort today in that lat when doing dips and leaning forward made it better.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:52 pm

Sifting through the SS forums is a mess, but how do you drag out a deadlift LP as long as possible? I'm literally just doing 1x5 every one to two days (depending on how I feel) and adding fahve, but I'm up at 325lb and given that I lost 15lbs and 325 is now a double bodyweight pull it's starting to feel seriously heavy. I can only picture myself doing fives up to 345lbs or so, but my technique seems to be improving a lot (I've noticed that I've lost so much weight that I have to play with my setup) each time I pull so...

Just want to get back into the ball park of high 300's, I doubt I will be able to pull 405 for more than a single at my new bodyweight while also training for a marathon, but I seem to be good at deadlifts so it seems like a toss up.

It seems running affects deadlifting more than deadlifting affects running. I feel better after long runs as well, so it seems to be doing something beneficial. I used to have back pain after anything over 7 miles. Not anymore.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:28 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:52 pm Sifting through the SS forums is a mess, but how do you drag out a deadlift LP as long as possible? I'm literally just doing 1x5 every one to two days (depending on how I feel) and adding fahve, but I'm up at 325lb and given that I lost 15lbs and 325 is now a double bodyweight pull it's starting to feel seriously heavy. I can only picture myself doing fives up to 345lbs or so, but my technique seems to be improving a lot (I've noticed that I've lost so much weight that I have to play with my setup) each time I pull so...

Just want to get back into the ball park of high 300's, I doubt I will be able to pull 405 for more than a single at my new bodyweight while also training for a marathon, but I seem to be good at deadlifts so it seems like a toss up.

It seems running affects deadlifting more than deadlifting affects running. I feel better after long runs as well, so it seems to be doing something beneficial. I used to have back pain after anything over 7 miles. Not anymore.
I would probably change to a weekly set up where you hit the heavy DLs on Monday or Friday, and on the opposite day do 3-4 sets of 5 reps on RDLs or Paused Deadlifts. Middle day can be rows/chin ups/nothing, but the bump in volume and less frequent 5rms should keep things moving.

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:52 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:45 pm
dw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:44 pmThanks for the responses. I actually had noticed some trap development from lateral raises. That's a good point... I could try to do those in a trappier way or something.

Alphabet raises as in "Y-Raises," "T-Raises," "W-Raises," and "A-Raises."

I rarely bother with A-Raises, but sometimes I'll use a variation of a reverse flye with a cable that might achieve a similar effect. They're all basically variations of a reverse flye anyway (with changes to the lever length), so you get the additional benefits of rhomboid and rear delt work too. I suspect grip probably affects muscle "activation" too -- with regard to lat contribution -- but I'd leave that to smarter minds than my own to figure out for certain. I want to play around with prone shrugs with a supinated grip eventually -- just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I suspect neck extensions help, even if only from a visual perspective; on paper, considering the insertion point at the bottom of the skull, I don't see how traps can't be involved in neck extension. Anecdotally, yeah, my neck looked a little different from the side when I was doing neck extensions more consistently.

Also, like @Hardartery said, I think there's an appreciable contribution from the traps when you perform lateral raises a certain way. I like to grab the side of the rack and lean for more artificial ROM; this means I'm finishing the rep above shoulder-height. Lateral raises have helped alleviate some TOS-like issues in the past whenever I've gotten too aggressive with press volume.
Your discussion about trap development and the various exercises you're experimenting with is intriguing. Lateral raises can indeed have a noticeable impact on traps, especially when performed with certain variations and a wider range of motion. The idea of using different "alphabet raises" like Y, T, W, and A raises to target different aspects of the shoulder complex and engage the traps, rhomboids, and rear delts is a clever approach. These exercises not only help with shoulder aesthetics but can also contribute to better overall shoulder health.

Regarding neck extensions, it's fascinating how they may play a role in trap development. The connection between the insertion point at the base of the skull and the traps makes it plausible that neck extensions could engage the traps to some extent. It's a valuable insight for those looking to enhance their neck and upper back development. Your openness to experimenting with exercises and your willingness to explore different training methods showcase a proactive approach to fitness. Keep up the great work, and your dedication to both aesthetics and functionality in your workouts is commendable! 💪🏋️‍♂️👍

dw

Post by dw » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:03 am

Have to second that. I have taken many specific ideas and even my overall approach (namely just try anything that you want to try, even if the resulting "program" is a bit Frankensteiny) from Renascent.

Wrt the specific point I'm now experimenting with lateral raises to get a combo medial delt (or whatever you're supposed to call it) + traps stimulus, because I want to work both but don't want to add even more time to my workouts.

ETA - That's some uncanny AI.

Culican

Post by Culican » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:20 am

There is a new gym open very close to my house. They have a machine that I have never seen before, a "Pendulum Squat." I tried it and it has a much different feeling than a leg press or a hack squat machine. It is also amazing how little weight I can load the machine with compared to a leg press or hack squat machine. Could this machine be useful and accomplish something that back squats, front squats, leg presses, or hack squats don't?

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:34 am

Culican wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:20 am There is a new gym open very close to my house. They have a machine that I have never seen before, a "Pendulum Squat." I tried it and it has a much different feeling than a leg press or a hack squat machine. It is also amazing how little weight I can load the machine with compared to a leg press or hack squat machine. Could this machine be useful and accomplish something that back squats, front squats, leg presses, or hack squats don't?
It is an incredibly versatile piece of kit. It generally requires the least amount of faffing around with to get set-up and it is efficient. It has a built-in good resistance profile. As opposed to other squatting variants, it gets harder towards the top since the moment arm increases in the swinging out motion (where typically it's easiest since every joint is stacked) and feels lighter towards the bottom (where you're weakest) since the moment arm decreases. If you're biasing your quads, you're putting them through their paces throughout the entire range of motion, as opposed to failing where you're weakest (at the bottom) wherein you could have theoretically continued producing force above that point in the set. This is great for training the quads through their near full contractile range with what your body is capable of doing. If you have an adjustable foot pad on that particular unit, then that's even more valuable since opening the angle up removes plenty of ankle mobility requirements to get full range of motion and can tweak it for personal comfort.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:49 am

I hadn't trained calves and abs in over a year (time constraints), but have recently incorporated myo reps for abs and last Friday did calves for the first time. Just used a belt, added 40kg to the belt, and did 27/15/13 reps - VERY slow on eccentric/concentric with just 20s of rest between sets.

The DOMS are unreal, I can't walk properly these past 2 days. I think it's going to interfere with tomorrow's squat! :lol: