Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

SnakePlissken

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:42 am

lheugh wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 am There is evidence that foot position can influence calf muscle activation: turning the feet inward targets the lateral head of the gastrocnemius, whereas turning the feet outward targets the medial head, but this is a relatively modest phenomenon and of questionable practical meaningfulness from a hypertrophy perspective. Standing calf raise places the gastrocnemius under maximal stretch and maximises force output. Seated render the muscle actively insufficient and forces the soleus to take the brunt of the work.
Do you mean that seated calf raises aren't as good in general as standing or that you really need to do seated calf raises if you want to get a bigger soleus?

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:52 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:42 am
lheugh wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 am There is evidence that foot position can influence calf muscle activation: turning the feet inward targets the lateral head of the gastrocnemius, whereas turning the feet outward targets the medial head, but this is a relatively modest phenomenon and of questionable practical meaningfulness from a hypertrophy perspective. Standing calf raise places the gastrocnemius under maximal stretch and maximises force output. Seated render the muscle actively insufficient and forces the soleus to take the brunt of the work.
Do you mean that seated calf raises aren't as good in general as standing or that you really need to do seated calf raises if you want to get a bigger soleus?
Primarily the latter. While standing does a better job of targeting the gastrocnemius than the seated variety it is still a perfectly viable option, albeit more ideal for the uniarticular soleus.

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:02 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:59 pm@quikky do you have a reference video for these? I'm having trouble picturing it.
Well, look at the coincidence on this, Andy Baker just posted a video of himself doing them exactly like this:

Travis

Post by Travis » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:00 am

Anybody else have arm/hand nerve pain/tingles from the SSB?

I have a history of nerve issues with my hands, but recently I’ve got some tingling running down the inside of my arms after SSB squats.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:45 pm

Travis wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:00 am Anybody else have arm/hand nerve pain/tingles from the SSB?

I have a history of nerve issues with my hands, but recently I’ve got some tingling running down the inside of my arms after SSB squats.
Do you feel any of this above the elbow, or is it all strictly below the elbow? Is it on the pinky side of your hand?

I have something similar due to ulnar nerve compression if I hold my elbows at an acute angle for too long, maybe the way you’re holding the handles is creating a similar effect.

Travis

Post by Travis » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:25 pm

janoycresva wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:45 pm
Travis wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:00 am Anybody else have arm/hand nerve pain/tingles from the SSB?

Do you feel any of this above the elbow, or is it all strictly below the elbow? Is it on the pinky side of your hand?

I have something similar due to ulnar nerve compression if I hold my elbows at an acute angle for too long, maybe the way you’re holding the handles is creating a similar effect.
Above the elbow some, but it does run down to my pinkies. I’ll try holding out by the plates next time I squat & see if that helps. It probably will since it was too simple for me to think of myself.

Thanks for helping me look for horses instead of zebras

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:36 pm

Yeah, I get that from pushing on the handles too hard with a really closed elbow. It can happen to me on normie squats too.

James

Post by James » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:19 am

Think you could substitute a mouth guard with a mouthful of haribo gummies?

Edit: New product idea. Edible mouth guards for strongman.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm

The training camp Hardgainer/HIT that I followed years ago always pushed the idea that training when sick lowers immunity and makes minor illness worse, some sources now seem to hold a different opinion so.... Snots/aching/cold etc a reason not to train? My gut feeling is it'll 'knock the shit' out of me and I should rest, but cleverer men than me say different so, I dunno...

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 pm

GeoffBUK wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm The training camp Hardgainer/HIT that I followed years ago always pushed the idea that training when sick lowers immunity and makes minor illness worse, some sources now seem to hold a different opinion so.... Snots/aching/cold etc a reason not to train? My gut feeling is it'll 'knock the shit' out of me and I should rest, but cleverer men than me say different so, I dunno...
I came down with a cold yesterday. I think if you really want to train, a cold shouldn’t stop you. Even the flu is doable but definitely not fun.

I’ve actually had some fantastic training sessions with a cold. You end up resting more, sleeping more, sometimes eating more calories and taking painkillers. All of that combined can lead to very good performance in the gym despite the cold symptoms.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:24 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 pm
GeoffBUK wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm The training camp Hardgainer/HIT that I followed years ago always pushed the idea that training when sick lowers immunity and makes minor illness worse, some sources now seem to hold a different opinion so.... Snots/aching/cold etc a reason not to train? My gut feeling is it'll 'knock the shit' out of me and I should rest, but cleverer men than me say different so, I dunno...
I came down with a cold yesterday. I think if you really want to train, a cold shouldn’t stop you. Even the flu is doable but definitely not fun.

I’ve actually had some fantastic training sessions with a cold. You end up resting more, sleeping more, sometimes eating more calories and taking painkillers. All of that combined can lead to very good performance in the gym despite the cold symptoms.
Pretty sure pseudoephedrine is a banned substance in competition, so you can pretend you’re on a super special stimulant too.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:33 am

Honestly I love Hardgainer/HIT/Heavy Duty/Abbreviated training/Mentzer inspired gurus because they're like a compass pointing south: always take their advice and do the exact opposite. Works all the time.

All jokes aside why not train when you're sick ? Assuming that you're not terribly sick and that you want to train, my broscientific approach is that I'll just get my ass to the gym and then warm up. And almost every single I'll feel fine and would be able to train. Maybe I'd do less sets and a bit less weight but I'm still training.

Now to be fair I think I'm addicted to lifting weights so it depends. I think it's not a big deal either way.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:02 am

Agreed with everyone else about minor illness like a cold, but if you have anything harder coming up I'd recommend just taking a few rest days. I got a nasty sinus infection earlier this year and on the day I was starting to feel better I lifted pretty heavy and that night and the following day it came back with a vengeance and I remember just trying to chew food shot sharp pain up the side of my head. Antibiotics knocked it out, but I think if I had just taken a few days off I probably was over the hill enough that my body would've fought it off alone.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:52 am

I've always worked out with my colds and never regretted it. Not sure about the flu.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:08 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm My gut feeling is it'll 'knock the shit' out of me and I should rest, but cleverer men than me say different so, I dunno...
I swear that I've experienced some of my highest rates of strength gain in the rebound to health after flu if I've slogged through training sessions while sick* (super, super light hypertrophy to high fatigue).

Pretty sure it's all mental and total bullshit, but the delusion helps me reframe illness as opportunity and produces placebo-gains, so I'll take it and will continue to train while ill.

* not during the one or two days of acute awfulness (the intense aches, chills, etc).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:35 am

I never had any issue training through low level stuff. If I was really sick no, but that usually had more to do with my balance being messed up or something. If I could walk around but was sniffly or something no problem. I never got the boost that @Hanley mentions, but I would do it purely on principal based on @CheekiBreekiFitness comment. If that group are anti something, I am 100% in favour.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:40 am

Pretty sure exercise triggers a slight boost to immune response as well.
Depends on the contact with the public, but train if you can, do what you can when you train.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 am

This was sure timely.

Fine, I’ll train today. Maybe.

Cough.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:08 am

Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate it, so , I did a session in my garage, first day of feeling shity today woke up wheezy and snotty, didn't do lots, but got what I wanted done, hopefully a hot soak and early night and I'll be right,

@CheekiBreekiFitness , @Hardartery , I swear I used to get sick a lot more often training to failure (or as close as I could tolerate on leg work) , but since I've been doing lower fatigue with more volume I'm pretty rarely sick, maybe 15 months since my last cold, maybe that's why those guys don't recommend training when sick, either way the gains on Hardgainer/ obsessed with recovery/overtraining type routines were next to zero!

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:40 am
Pretty sure exercise triggers a slight boost to immune response as well.
Depends on the contact with the public, but train if you can, do what you can when you train.
It's kinda like cutting hard. You want to lower the intensity and volume but it's good for you.

I had the worst case of RSV in my life (way worse than COVID -- was sick for 10 days) and training was one of the few ways I could get myself to cough up the flem from my lungs (which is essential to recovery).

It also makes you more tired, and the more sleep the better when sick.

Definitely wouldn't give up exercise when sick. Just take it easier.