DCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DCR

Re: DCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

Post by DCR » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:33 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:11 pmThe fastest way to eliminate soreness is to do a set of whatever caused it again the next day. Now, it will come back inside of 24 hours but if you don't mind just kicking the can down the road every day for a while.
That’s the thing - given how often I squat, this soreness hasn’t made sense to me. That said, it’s this bone deep thing that I’m not sure that I’ve felt before. In any event I happened to be walking by the gym as I read your post and took your advice - walked in in street clothes and hit three light sets, and I think that it may have helped. I’ll know better when I hit an actual session on Monday.

Part of why I went in also was to fuck around with a technique matter. My right knee has been killing me, and I wanted to play with beginning the movement with a break at the hips. That’s traditionally how I squatted and is dangerous territory for me in that I just spent months rebuilding my squat specifically to be quad-centric and to stay out of my hips. The goal therefore was to see if I could break juuuuuust slightly at the hips and then immediately get my knees in front of me / sit in my quads / keep my big toes down. Experiment seemed to go well. Again, I’ll really see what’s what on Monday.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:57 am

Realized that bald omni man wasn't who I thought it was (thought it was that mike isratael dude). Is the DB bench helping your shoulder? I'm dealing with shoulder issues with bench and whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to be working very well. I'll give it a try if you think its working

+1 that high frequency is the best way to alleviate soreness

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:33 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:57 amRealized that bald omni man wasn't who I thought it was (thought it was that mike isratael dude). Is the DB bench helping your shoulder? I'm dealing with shoulder issues with bench and whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to be working very well. I'll give it a try if you think its working
Not affecting it at all either way - I have the pain solely when pressing overhead, right around lockout / the shrug - and oddly a few times when I randomly leaned on that shoulder / arm (like in bed). I’m taking the ignore it until it goes away approach.

Aside, regarding Israetel: I’ve consumed far more “lifting entertainment” on youtube that I ought to have lately - talking last four months or so. I watched a decent amount of RP content during that time and certainly got some solid ideas and information, but mixed in with a ton of garbage and I found Israetel really off putting. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out what anyone really saw in the channel, relative to its popularity. In the past week, though, I found myself checking out a bunch of stuff from 3-4 years ago and holy shit what a difference. The substance all is gold and he was so much more likable. I guess dumb videos about celebrity workouts get more clicks, or like nearly all fitness personalities, he ran out of material. Very unfortunate.
SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:57 am+1 that high frequency is the best way to alleviate soreness
I totally agree, which is why this has been so odd. I squatted every other day for months. I should be the leat sore dude ever. What I didn’t do, though, was have any light days, so that may be the ticket.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 am

Your shoulder issue is the opposite of mine. I can OHP no problem but bench is a problem. Rear delt flies helped me once when my shoulder was bothered by OHP but not bench. Supposedly dead hangs from a pullup bar are good for shoulders but idk if its helping me now. Maybe either of these is worth a try

---
Yeah I do have a pretty big issue with his channel recently (and a lot of the other big "science" ones). Mike was actually really freaking strong back in the day. Why does he criticize what worked for him back in the day and got him to where he is now? In general, why does so much of his advice (and so much of the "science" channels) directly contradict what a lot of really successful bodybuilder/lifters do? Makes you think a lot of the "science" is just rubbish

Maybe some foam rolling, or light cardio could help? I'd think every other day should counteract any soreness

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:17 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 amMaybe some foam rolling, or light cardio could help? I'd think every other day should counteract any soreness
This may be another sign (on top of my beer gut) that I should be doing cardio. Telling myself that when I get back down south on Tuesday, I'm gonna start doing it every other day. Wouldn't be the first time that I said that... we'll see if I follow through this time.
SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 amYeah I do have a pretty big issue with his channel recently (and a lot of the other big "science" ones). Mike was actually really freaking strong back in the day. Why does he criticize what worked for him back in the day and got him to where he is now? In general, why does so much of his advice (and so much of the "science" channels) directly contradict what a lot of really successful bodybuilder/lifters do? Makes you think a lot of the "science" is just rubbish
I think that the issue is running out of material and the corresponding need to bury deeper and deeper into some niche to stand out from the crowd. Far more qualified dudes than me have been criticizing the direction lately, in part by pointing out that all these bros submitting "technique cyborg" videos are... not jacked. Another example that no one seems to want to note, perhaps because he seems like a nice guy who is certainly in better shape than I've even been, is Israetel's buddy Menno Henselmans. The channel's focus is hypertrophy, his "scientific" tips all concern hypertrophy... and the dude is not jacked up at all. I'm a 45-year old guy with a beer gut and trash genetics (the diameter of my wrists is like an inch, joking but not really), who trains mostly like an idiot, and he doesn't have one body part about which I'd ask his advice.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:58 am

4/7/24

Low Incline DB Bench Press 40s x12 55s x8,8,8
Incline DB Curls 25s x8,10,12
Lateral Raises 30s x8,8,8
Pullups x5,4,4
EZ French Press 48x10,10,12
Goblet Squats 25,30x25

Notes: If I'm gonna talk shit about fitness celebrities, I'm not gonna hide my fat ass behind my keyboard. Session felt really good. Goblets provided a solid pump.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:35 pm

I'm jelly of that calf pump you mentioned.

Also, you never shared the memo that it was topless lifting time?!?!

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:44 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:35 pm I'm jelly of that calf pump you mentioned.

Check your spam. It’s always topless lifting time when I get the gym to myself.

Whether it should be is a whole other story.

During covid I lifted at home in boxer briefs, period. Sorry for TMI but I honestly loved it.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:51 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:44 pm
broseph wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:35 pm I'm jelly of that calf pump you mentioned.

Check your spam. It’s always topless lifting time when I get the gym to myself.

Whether it should be is a whole other story.

During covid I lifted at home in boxer briefs, period. Sorry for TMI but I honestly loved it.
My dude. I've done tons of boxer brief basement lifting.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:33 pm

Ha! Would love to do the topless lifting but I don't have any blinds on my windows and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it with their kids running around outside.

RP/Israetel have for sure jumped the shark for me. Their recent video's included analyzing workouts from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall, How to get a date, Look like Superman, and how to boost your brain power. The only one that didn't make me totally cringe was one on how different grips affect back gains (and even that is mostly irrelevant). The two about the actors have by far the most views, which means we can only expect more of this in the future... Probably will end up unsubscribing soon because I get irritated seeing this kind of stuff in my list of subscribed videos.

While I don't have anything against the idea of using science for lifting guidance, most (nearly all) of what's out there now is unreliable and irrelevant to anyone that's been lifting for more than a few months. I'm skeptical of anyone who reads through some of these so-called studies and draws concrete conclusions from them. One fact alone (the fact that something like 95% of these studies are done on untrained individuals) invalidates them. You can't take anything meaningful away from a study that uses people that barely know how to lift. Seriously, imagine taking a study on how to more effectively perform open heart surgery that uses people that have never cut someone open before and then trying to convinced experienced doctors to believe in and abide by the findings of the study... And this doesn't even account for the other shortcomings of most studies. But somehow fitness influencers peddle this stuff as reliable and people believe it just because they suggest that you should.
Steps off soapbox... I do hope that more reliable studies get done in the future because I think there IS a lot to be learned from them when.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:44 pm During covid I lifted at home in boxer briefs, period. Sorry for TMI but I honestly loved it.
Back is looking thicc too.

Team boxer briefs checking in. Working out at the Y is torture, especially because I’m a modest guy and wear too many clothes. Maybe it’s shorts and tank for the spring/summer/notdeadlift season.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:05 am

augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pm
DCR wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:44 pm During covid I lifted at home in boxer briefs, period. Sorry for TMI but I honestly loved it.
Back is looking thicc too.
Thanks, dude.
augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pmTeam boxer briefs checking in. Working out at the Y is torture, especially because I’m a modest guy and wear too many clothes.
Yes. I did manage to find pairs of workout shorts with a liner like a bathing suit (i.e. that's all you wear) and they're much better but not ideal. (LOL at this entire thread in the context of an activity that dudes all over the internet consider to be GOING TO WAR.)
augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pmMaybe it’s shorts and tank for the spring/summer/not deadlift season.
Jump right into the deep end and get a stringer. Might get one in neon green just to needle my girlfriend.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm

4/8/24

Squats 45,155,215x6 255x3 295x2 315,335x1 95x25
RDLs (doh) 160x8,7,7
Standing Calf Raises on platform +30 lbs x20,20,20,25

Notes: Was so disgusted by the mirror - and the stupidity / pointlessness of heavy singles given what was in it - that I nearly scrapped the session, but on the spot I couldn’t come up with wtf I actually would do, so I ended up proceeding as planned but with the set of 25 to feel like I’d done anything at all for body comp. Hopefully after flying back south tomorrow, I can use the change in scenery as a line of demarcation and come back up in July a new bro.

FilmBuff

Post by FilmBuff » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 pm

Boxer brief lifting in the way to go. I miss my garage gym for that lol.

And yeah Mike and their video guy found the perfect way to capture the algorithm and take off with regards to YouTube popularity but unfortunately that also means way more clickbait content.

Old stuff is way better.

Israetel also has tons of fuck you money now, so he really leans into his persona and unfortunately because he always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room he’s got terrible hot takes in regards to his “progress” channel and his whole world outlook.

I’ve had plenty of gains utilizing their volume ramping style of training when I’m feeling beat up from other stuff, but their training videos of doing the super slow eccentrics is really annoying.

I don’t mind when he tears apart trainers spouting bullshit, but I also don’t need 40 dick jokes along with it. 5-10 will suffice lol.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 pm

Heavy singles (and peaking) only work for a short while. At top, three to six weeks (depending how soon you peak). I notice that my bench press tends to peak off sooner than my squats and deadlifts (obviously because the bench press uses smaller muscles). Time is always better spent building strength than testing strength anyway.

Don't be like me, trying to stretch out doing heavy singles and peaking for over six weeks, or unless if you're an advanced/elite heavyweight powerlifter lol.

MailmanMuscle

Dr. Mike

Post by MailmanMuscle » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 pm

My 2 cents on Dr. Mike and RP:

My wife and I are probably part of a minority of his total viewership who has been able to be coached by him in person. No it wasn’t an exclusive thing, and it was only for 5 minutes. 😁 This was at the Arnold Classic last year, and he and Jared Feather were doing 5 minute form checks and coaching on a lift for free. You just had to sign a waiver and wait in line. Fortunately we had early entry to the expo, so we waited maybe 10 minutes. I picked high bar squats (they had a squat stand, bar, and some 10-20 lbs plates). My wife picked stiff legged deadlifts, with an emphasis on glutes (surprise! - a woman picked a glute exercise 😄). Anyway… what I got from him in those few minutes really enhanced and made clear some of the principles I’d seen in his training videos. I don’t program my training like him, but when training for hypertrophy, I’ve been performing most of my reps closer to the way he suggested (I have made some modifications). It has made a difference for the better.

We also took advantage of a promo price on the RP Diet Coach app. The app doesn’t have a “bodybuilding competition” setting or anything, but it has planned my entire contest prep diet over the last 15 weeks or however long it has been. I think a lot of RP’s recent YouTube content screams “MONEY GRAB!” (I don’t mean the ads) and that has caused me to enjoy less of their content. But that diet app has proven to be an invaluable tool, so I’m actually helping to fund the machine. Even if they go completely off the rails (and they’re not far from it), if they keep the entire library available and free to the public, Dr. Mike has contributed a treasure of info in an easy to understand lecture style format. I think he tries too hard to be a comedian now. But in person, he really is funny as all hell.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:24 am

Bolder wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 pm Heavy singles (and peaking) only work for a short while. At top, three to six weeks (depending how soon you peak). I notice that my bench press tends to peak off sooner than my squats and deadlifts (obviously because the bench press uses smaller muscles). Time is always better spent building strength than testing strength anyway.

Don't be like me, trying to stretch out doing heavy singles and peaking for over six weeks, or unless if you're an advanced/elite heavyweight powerlifter lol.
I already peaked; now I'm just hitting a reasonably heavy single each session to mostly hold on to my strength while I figure out wtf I'm gonna do next.

That said... I did consider the other day whether I could get 375 lol.

DCR

Re: Dr. Mike

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 pmEven if they go completely off the rails (and they’re not far from it), if they keep the entire library available and free to the public, Dr. Mike has contributed a treasure of info in an easy to understand lecture style format.
This is more where I intended to go with my initial comments - as extremely rough as things have gotten, the quality of the stuff from a few years ago is really something. Having missed it at the time, I'm rabbit hole-ing it now.

cole

Post by cole » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:30 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm Was so disgusted by the mirror - and the stupidity / pointlessness of heavy singles given what was in it - that I nearly scrapped the session
i think you can still hit singles and have strength goals while simealtaneously shedding some weight. obviously its gonna be a change in diet, which blows. but i believe in you!

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:25 pm

cole wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:30 pm
DCR wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm Was so disgusted by the mirror - and the stupidity / pointlessness of heavy singles given what was in it - that I nearly scrapped the session
i think you can still hit singles and have strength goals while simealtaneously shedding some weight. obviously its gonna be a change in diet, which blows. but i believe in you!
Thanks, cole, appreciate that. I need to work my way into the mindset. These stupid high rep squat sets are more about that than anything else.

_________

4/10/24

Bench Press 45,155x12 215x8 250x3 280x1 225x7
Seated Arnold Presses 30s x12,12,12
Barbell Curls 45x12 80x10 100x3,3
Precor Low Row arms plus 45s x15 90s x10,13,11
Goblet Squats 35x25

Notes: Quoting the great @hector, punch the ticket, take the ride.