Knee sleeves

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

5hout

Re: Knee sleeves

Post by 5hout » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:20 am

I have Cerberus Dual Ply Knee Sleeves 2XL and some other sleeves I bought used for 10 years that have no remaining markings. The Cerbs are really nice, stay up ok and not too hard to put on. I feel like I get maybe half an RPE out of them? Like if I do a double/triple at 405 no sleeves maybe 8.5 on an average day. Pop the Cerberus's on and maybe an 8.

Still thinking about a third pair of something a bit looser to wear for general knee warmth/comfort, but no carry over.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:42 am

I just ordered the Cerberus 7mm elbow 9mm knee sleeves.
Knee sleeves are great. Certainly the best I have used in recent memory. I just got the elbow sleeves so I haven't gotten to many chances to use them yet. But they seem like they will be good also.

I had gotten the EXTREME "X" KNEE SLEEVES and elbow sleeves from Mark Bell for black Friday. I did not find either one great. I will say the elbow sleeves were better then the knee sleeves. The knee sleeves were cut funny and would pull down to below my knee each set. It was very frustrating. The elbow sleeves were very long. Almost as long as the knee sleeves. I thought this was cool at first but I never felt much support around the elbow.

Now you want to talk about something I have started loving? The Cerberus Strong man shorts are solid 5 stars IMO. I ordered some similar ones from Brian Shaw and they were alright so I ordered a 2nd pair from Cerberus and they are freaking great!

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 am

You won't be disappointed on the 7/9mm sleeves...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 am You won't be disappointed on the 7/9mm sleeves...
I am eyeing the sleeves. I don't need anything for heat, Managua is always at least 90 degrees and humid, in April/May it can be over 100 easily. I am thinking purely about pop for the log press. I am very seriously considering a Static Monsters. Very seriously. It gives me a goal for training, and an excuse to look at toys like Deadlift suits. I am very probably going to end up in one of those, probably a Metal even though all of my previous equipment purchases have been Inzer. I think I saw only one suit in the Saturday show that wasn't Metal, and the velcro straps look awesome. Getting the straps up on my old Inzer Squat suit was always an event on it's own. I can hit Bradenton pretty easily from here - short flight and a rental car. My wife's family are almost all there, so it would be easy.

judemendel

Post by judemendel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:20 am

I love Jiufentian Copper knee sleeves. I've been using it for years and it's still looking like I just got it yesterday. It's the durability and protective ability for me

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:01 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 pm
mouse wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 am You won't be disappointed on the 7/9mm sleeves...
I am eyeing the sleeves. I don't need anything for heat, Managua is always at least 90 degrees and humid, in April/May it can be over 100 easily. I am thinking purely about pop for the log press. I am very seriously considering a Static Monsters. Very seriously. It gives me a goal for training, and an excuse to look at toys like Deadlift suits. I am very probably going to end up in one of those, probably a Metal even though all of my previous equipment purchases have been Inzer. I think I saw only one suit in the Saturday show that wasn't Metal, and the velcro straps look awesome. Getting the straps up on my old Inzer Squat suit was always an event on it's own. I can hit Bradenton pretty easily from here - short flight and a rental car. My wife's family are almost all there, so it would be easy.
If you're after pop consider the triple ply... downside is you aren't gonna want to leave those on like you would the neoprenes... you won't be able to feel your hands after like 5 minutes hahaha...

I have both... the 7mm for every day use and a little bit of pop... and the triple plys for max attempts when I absolutely want to cheat a bit...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:48 pm

zappey1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 pm What is your guys favorite knee sleeves?
Just washed my SBDs

Still not a stitch out of place in over 4 years.

I saw someone say something about them not being as good now, but i'm pretty dubious of that.
Guess i'll find out if i ever need to replace these.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:48 pm
zappey1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 pm What is your guys favorite knee sleeves?
Just washed my SBDs

I saw someone say something about them not being as good now, but i'm pretty dubious of that.
Have you ever tried any other sleeves besides SBD?

I am always tempted to buy SBD but they are like $20 more and I always hear they are over hyped.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:32 pm

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:01 am
Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 pm
If you're after pop consider the triple ply... downside is you aren't gonna want to leave those on like you would the neoprenes... you won't be able to feel your hands after like 5 minutes hahaha...

I have both... the 7mm for every day use and a little bit of pop... and the triple plys for max attempts when I absolutely want to cheat a bit...
I am 100% about whatever pop I can get. My overhead usually sucks out loud, so if I hit Static Monsters I want whatever help I can get for it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:36 pm

zappey1 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:04 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:48 pm
Just washed my SBDs

Have you ever tried any other sleeves besides SBD?

I am always tempted to buy SBD but they are like $20 more and I always hear they are over hyped.
I have not.
Have not needed to.

I will say my opinion of them is they are an excellent product.
Based on the fact they have no condition issues after over 4 years use.
I find them comfortable to train in as well.
Didn't buy them a size small.

Barbend lists them top for powerlifting, but this guy doesn't even mention them in his list.
https://powerliftingtechnique.com/knee-sleeves/
Makes me curious about the Titan Yellowjackets
Normally $75, but looks like $65 on sale at LiftingLarge

*Hmm. They have a seam running right up the back of the knee.
That, and my level of satisfaction with my SBDs woud have me standing pat if and when i need a new pair.
Price difference is minimal in the long run.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:50 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:32 pm I am 100% about whatever pop I can get. My overhead usually sucks out loud, so if I hit Static Monsters I want whatever help I can get for it.
Triple ply might be worth a shot... mine are Cerberus, but I know Strength Shop has some that are a little cheaper (can't attest to the fit/quality there). I will say if you do pull the plug, stick to however Cerberus sizes them, and heed my words and expect these to be TIGHT hahaha.

I have to put mine on with a metal pole... not an exaggeration. I roll one end of the sleeve over the pole, and jam my arm down into it. It is the only reliable/repeatable way I've found to get them on...

If it's humid out... getting them OFF is usually actually harder than whatever max attempt you just made with them lol...

Runner ups that I haven't tried would be those crazy looking Inzer sleeves with the buckles, I know an incredibly strong log/axle presser who uses those... and the new sleeves that Shaw put out with Evolution Athletics, which are basically those... but with less S&M buckles...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:55 am

I was watching the guys on the WuS broadcast last weekend from Rogue. I saw a lot of the red sleeves for the DB, Shivlakov had the red one on the arm he used and the beigeish SBD one on every other joint. That tells me the red one does something, and it looks like a Cerberus (Although I could be wrong, it could be the other SBD sleeve). I don't think it's the colour that makes it better, lol, so there's that. I also noticed that almost everyone had a Metal Jack DL suit. That is not insignificant either. It doesn't mean that either would do ME any good, but the odds are that they would. Belts don't do anything for me, but groove briefs and squat suits certainly do. My raw max squat was 650, my suited max was 850. The knee wraps are iffy for me, but I probably lack the practice and expertise to really get a lot out of them. I did not ever use much gear in training, but it's automatic free gains slipping on a suit or briefs so I expect the DL suit would be too.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:22 am

One thing i've noticed over time, and just now confirmed, my SBD sleeves get a little bit tighter after a wash.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:36 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:22 am One thing i've noticed over time, and just now confirmed, my SBD sleeves get a little bit tighter after a wash.
Warm water or cold water? Air dry or dryer?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:09 am

Cold or lukewarm, in the tub, little liquid dishsoap.
Heels and toes action to wash.
Cold air dry in front of a fan.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:13 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:22 am One thing i've noticed over time, and just now confirmed, my SBD sleeves get a little bit tighter after a wash.
Knock off SBDs Stoics do the same thing... it doesn't last very long though...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:15 pm

I'm going to update this to elbow sleeves also:

Since I have posted in here I have tried the following brands:
SBD
Cerberus (several kinds and thickness)
Strong (several kinds and thickness)
Stoic
Titan

Apparently I love sleeves and get upset when they get worn out quickly or leave me unsatisfied. After trying ALL these for prolonged periods my favorite drum rolllllllllllllllllll
SpoilerShow
Is Stoic knee sleeves
I ordered them based of a recommendation on this sight and they have not disappointed. I just ordered some elbow sleeves from them after being very disappointed with my new expensive ass SBD :x

I hope they are as good as their knee sleeves

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 pm

Pioneer is finally testing sleeves of their own, something to keep an eye on too.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:48 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 pm Pioneer is finally testing sleeves of their own, something to keep an eye on too.
I have a problem :?

I have to lay off the sleeves for awhile :lol:

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:19 am

zappey1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:15 pm I hope they are as good as their knee sleeves
They're alright. I have a pair. Again, they aren't gonna be 'cheaty' because they are a thinner neoprene and they are paneled (inside your elbow is thinner than the outside) but they're comfortable if that's what you're after.

I'm interested to see what Pioneer releases for sure...