Improtant Hi Bar Back Squat Question

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

ithryn

Improtant Hi Bar Back Squat Question

Post by ithryn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm

What do you do about the part where the bar is mashing into either your seventh cervical vertebra or into your upper traps and it, uh, well, hurts

ithryn

Re: Improtant Hi Bar Back Squat Question

Post by ithryn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Asking for a friend obv

Not that I'd ever be friends with a high barrer

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 pm

If the bar is resting on bones, you should move it.

Contact area on my traps is about the same size as the contact area on rear delts for low-bar.
HB was uncomfortable the first time I tried it, but I got used to it quickly.

Looking at your log, you are stronger than I am, I'm sure your traps are big enough to keep the bar off your spine!

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah it sounds like you have it too high. I squat high bar and the only time I feel anything uncomfortable is if my form goes to shit and I round my upper back and the bar rolls up my neck. It normally sits right below my 7th cervical vertebrae. Pull your shoulder blades back and get your grip in as close as you can to make a nice meaty shelf for it.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm

There's a few places you can rest the bar when you high bar squat. Personally, I prefer to have the bar right above the spine of the scapula (as opposed to my low bar position being right below the spine of the scapula). The bar could be higher up that that, but as TimK said, you gotta really pull your shoulders together to make a meat shelf for the bar.

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Ahhh how timely. I have to do that workout tomorrow too and last time I high bar squatted I had the same problem!

Thanks for the tips guise. I may pass out from exhaustion (it’s sets of 10) but hopefully my neck won’t hurt. :)

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:39 am

chromoly wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm There's a few places you can rest the bar when you high bar squat. Personally, I prefer to have the bar right above the spine of the scapula (as opposed to my low bar position being right below the spine of the scapula). The bar could be higher up that that, but as TimK said, you gotta really pull your shoulders together to make a meat shelf for the bar.
This is where I put my high bar as well. It is actually pretty comfortable. It sits on the back of my traps/on top of the spine of the scapula.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah it's possible I wasn't making enough of a meat shelf. I kept my normal squat hand width on the bar.

I also had this idea it had to be all up on the neck, but at did the sets it seemed I could stay fairly upright and still have it on my shoulders.

My quads are dead today like the first day of an SS LP so I guess I did something right! Thanks

tersh

Post by tersh » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I enjoy how many times the words "meat shelf" appeared in this thread. Also, good cues stored for high barring.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 pm

tersh wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm I enjoy how many times the words "meat shelf" appeared in this thread.
Me too. Sounds like a delicious shelf.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm

It was ringing in my ears when I squatted on Sunday. ‘meat shelf’ - shoulders back and tight. Was much better than last time I high bar squatted. My quads are still hurting though.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 pm

BenM wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm It was ringing in my ears when I squatted on Sunday. ‘meat shelf’ - shoulders back and tight. Was much better than last time I high bar squatted. My quads are still hurting though.
Ah, well, it's soreness and not pain right?

Also, a more general note about high bar-- I think many people can get their grip in closer for high bar than low bar. I would suggest as close as you can, so that your --ahem-- meat shelf is tighter and more delicious

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 pm

chromoly wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 pm
BenM wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm It was ringing in my ears when I squatted on Sunday. ‘meat shelf’ - shoulders back and tight. Was much better than last time I high bar squatted. My quads are still hurting though.
Ah, well, it's soreness and not pain right?

Also, a more general note about high bar-- I think many people can get their grip in closer for high bar than low bar. I would suggest as close as you can, so that your --ahem-- meat shelf is tighter and more delicious
Yes - just soreness. All good. I kinda like being sore after lifting, even though I know it's not indicative of hypertrophy, it does mean there's been a decent stimulus that my body isn't used to.

Noted on the narrowness of grip. You are probably right. Also, I think it's easier to keep that upper back tightness through the lift due to the back angle staying more vertical.

strega

Post by strega » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 am

ithryn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm What do you do about the part where the bar is mashing into either your seventh cervical vertebra or into your upper traps and it, uh, well, hurts

Yu could give this a shot, Manta Ray

https://goo.gl/PNnEiK

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:55 am

I use a very narrow grip for HB squats, and let my wrists over-extend. My hands are nearly relaxed, very little force is needed on the bar.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 am

strega wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 am
ithryn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm What do you do about the part where the bar is mashing into either your seventh cervical vertebra or into your upper traps and it, uh, well, hurts

Yu could give this a shot, Manta Ray

https://goo.gl/PNnEiK
I dont think anyone needs that device.

But its interesting to note, that this puts the bar much higher, increasing effectively the length of your torso.
Good be good or bad, depending what you're going after. Moment arms and torso angle and whatnot.
#1- is physically a higher point than whats normal for HBBS (per the picture in the ad).
#2- the bar pressure is being spreadout now, so the bar is not going to sink into your flesh as much.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 am

I think mwhities used the manta ray for a while, before figuring out the technique for HB squatting with just one arm.

strega

Post by strega » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 am
I dont think anyone needs that device.

But its interesting to note, that this puts the bar much higher, increasing effectively the length of your torso.
Good be good or bad, depending what you're going after. Moment arms and torso angle and whatnot.

I not really sure anyone needs any device.

I’m 58 and about a year or so back I bought one of these. I was having a lot of issues with flexibility for getting under the bar via the “Rip” method. The bar helps but it shifts the weight so much it’s like a front squat. Finally, I had an apophony of sorts, I just stop worrying about if it was a low bar squat or a high bar squat. I traded them both in for getting under the bar as best I can given my age and flexibility. So I’ve not used the Yoke bar in about year and I just squat with a normal bar.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 am

Same here. I do a bit of stretching aimed at eventually getting my shoulder ROM back enough to do low-bar again. But mostly I'm OK with high bar.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am

Lol, I tried to high bar today but unwisely it was after shrugs. Ouch.

I already have a pretty narrow grip on the back squat but I can pull it in more.

Are you holding the bar much with your hands? It seems like people do thumbs-around more and their elbows are more under the bar, so I assume some weight is supported there. No?