Coronavirus

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

5hout

Re: Coronavirus

Post by 5hout » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:48 am

Older relative coming on fairly serious surgery, plus possible radiation and long-term fucking-you-up drugs (not chemo). I broke down and got a J&J booster against my plans. I don't think the risk/reward calculus makes this a net positive decision (i.e. some risk for 0+epsilon reward, given that I have had the Rona and a vaccine means I think it does little to nothing for me). However, on balance of fam relations vs extremely low risk I went in and got it.

Did not feel anything the next day, a little arm soreness maybe and spent that day hanging blinds and climbing trees.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 am

Finally got this crap. Vaccinated with 1 booster.

Has anyone else experienced absolutely crazy anxiety levels with/right before COVID? I was feeling a little off/tired all weekend, but Monday morning I felt like I was hit by a wall of anxiety and catastrophic thinking. I've had my share of anxiety issues, but this was the most intense anxiety/dread/worst case scenario thinking I've ever had.

It started going down Tuesday and the more typical physical symptoms started. Tested positive on Wednesday morning. The physical symptoms (sleep disturbance, fever/chills, body aches, fatigue, mild cough/sniffles) have been longer lasting but overall similar and less intense than my reaction to the 2nd and 3rd shots. No loss of smell/taste.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:38 am

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 am Finally got this crap. Vaccinated with 1 booster.

Has anyone else experienced absolutely crazy anxiety levels with/right before COVID? I was feeling a little off/tired all weekend, but Monday morning I felt like I was hit by a wall of anxiety and catastrophic thinking. I've had my share of anxiety issues, but this was the most intense anxiety/dread/worst case scenario thinking I've ever had.
Yes, kind of, but sort of hard to disambiguate what is a primary effect of the infection vs me anxiety in finally testing positive after being pretty isolationist during the first year of the pandemic due to, in retrospect, probably unhealthy fear of Covid.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm

omaniphil wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:38 am
Yes, kind of, but sort of hard to disambiguate what is a primary effect of the infection vs me anxiety in finally testing positive after being pretty isolationist during the first year of the pandemic due to, in retrospect, probably unhealthy fear of Covid.
It was weird, since it hit before I was even thinking "oh I'm getting sick". I actually felt a little relief when the expected symptoms showed up and then I tested positive. I'll assume it was just related to either COVID starting to attack my system or my body responding to said attack.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 am Finally got this crap. Vaccinated with 1 booster.

It started going down Tuesday and the more typical physical symptoms started. Tested positive on Wednesday morning. The physical symptoms (sleep disturbance, fever/chills, body aches, fatigue, mild cough/sniffles) have been longer lasting but overall similar and less intense than my reaction to the 2nd and 3rd shots. No loss of smell/taste.
Read an article today about how the strains going around are causing lots of psychological issues for the long term. I got it last week on Wednesday and still feel a bit of brain fog which has really made it hard to concentrate at work. I'm already adhd so it's like the hair that broke the camel's back. Haven't worked on my motorcycle and it's felt like a chore to go lift now which have been my 2 most recent hobbies. Honestly reminds me of some of my childhood depression just not wanting to do anything.

Anyway, I got 2 pfizer shots back in early 2021 with no booster. Had symptoms for a few days with 2 days being the worst with the throbbing headache and had vertigo pretty bad last thursday. Only time will tell if the confusion and brain fog continues for a long time.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:30 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm
Read an article today about how the strains going around are causing lots of psychological issues for the long term. I got it last week on Wednesday and still feel a bit of brain fog which has really made it hard to concentrate at work. I'm already adhd so it's like the hair that broke the camel's back. Haven't worked on my motorcycle and it's felt like a chore to go lift now which have been my 2 most recent hobbies. Honestly reminds me of some of my childhood depression just not wanting to do anything.

Anyway, I got 2 pfizer shots back in early 2021 with no booster. Had symptoms for a few days with 2 days being the worst with the throbbing headache and had vertigo pretty bad last thursday. Only time will tell if the confusion and brain fog continues for a long time.

Did the brain fog stuff start immediately for you with other symptoms, or did it come on later?

I started feeling a lot better today, physically. I haven't noticed any brain fog, but now that I'm not feeling like ass I'm finding the anxiety is still there (though much lower than Monday). Could be because ragweed is blooming right now, too. Five years of allergy shots knocked out itchy eyes and runny nose, but I still feel high strung every year when that crap is shooting pollen all over.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:47 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:30 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm

Did the brain fog stuff start immediately for you with other symptoms, or did it come on later?

I started feeling a lot better today, physically. I haven't noticed any brain fog, but now that I'm not feeling like ass I'm finding the anxiety is still there (though much lower than Monday). Could be because ragweed is blooming right now, too. Five years of allergy shots knocked out itchy eyes and runny nose, but I still feel high strung every year when that crap is shooting pollen all over.
Yeah my brain fog started the 2nd day I had symptoms (basically the worst day). Over this weekend though my brain fog has gone away and so has most of the excessive sleeping. Now I just have a cough mostly in the mornings because my throat will itch, but it's a pretty common symptom that lasts a long time. My girlfriend's roommates got covid back in late May and still have a lingering cough from it mainly just in the mornings. For me it mostly goes away after I eat my oatmeal. Time will tell.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm

Reading this kind of made my toes curl, Enjoy!

"Prof. Jeffrey Sachs says he is “pretty convinced [COVID-19] came out of US lab biotechnology” and warns that there is dangerous virus research taking place without public oversight."

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2022/08/ ... e-pandemic
Last edited by Cellist on Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:11 am

Guy I work closely with sent us a text Monday night that he wouldn't be in Tuesday, fast forward to yesterday and he got a + for corona with lime.

Could possibly explain why I've been unbelievably tired this week (like nearly nodding off if I'm not walking around working tired) but so could the small man who sleeps in our bed becoming much less small. Kid is practically forcing me off of the mattress night after night now.

The world may never know because I don't have much PTO and am forcing myself to do OT to deal with how heavily in debt I've become at Home Depot...

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:15 am

mouse wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:11 am Guy I work closely with sent us a text Monday night that he wouldn't be in Tuesday, fast forward to yesterday and he got a + for corona with lime.

Could possibly explain why I've been unbelievably tired this week (like nearly nodding off if I'm not walking around working tired) but so could the small man who sleeps in our bed becoming much less small. Kid is practically forcing me off of the mattress night after night now.

The world may never know because I don't have much PTO and am forcing myself to do OT to deal with how heavily in debt I've become at Home Depot...
Sounds like the small human. You get tired/sleepy with Rona, but it usually comes with an inability to do anything quickly or with force. Like if your body had a valet key.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 am

Lol media continues to cling to corona-mania even when leadership seems to have moved on and somehow manages to suddenly pivot mid-COVID article to Trump investigation stuff...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-hundreds

weisgarber

Post by weisgarber » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 am

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 am Lol media continues to cling to corona-mania even when leadership seems to have moved on and somehow manages to suddenly pivot mid-COVID article to Trump investigation stuff...
Wasn't The Guardian supposed to be at least a somewhat reputable paper? Because the article states that 400 people a day were dying from Covid, yet even a cursory glance at the actual CDC numbers they're pulling from says the deaths are "related" to Covid, which could just mean they tested positive. I doubt the person writing the article is that stupid, but I guess they feel their readers are.

dw

Post by dw » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:17 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 am Lol media continues to cling to corona-mania even when leadership seems to have moved on and somehow manages to suddenly pivot mid-COVID article to Trump investigation stuff...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-hundreds

Even if the number were correct at some point of intractability a bad thing becomes just another bad thing and not a "problem" in the political sense. E.g. the flu, cancer.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 pm

weisgarber wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 am
Wasn't The Guardian supposed to be at least a somewhat reputable paper? Because the article states that 400 people a day were dying from Covid, yet even a cursory glance at the actual CDC numbers they're pulling from says the deaths are "related" to Covid, which could just mean they tested positive. I doubt the person writing the article is that stupid, but I guess they feel their readers are.
President Biden is correct about this. A disease most susceptible people have already had and very few people are taking any personal precautions against no longer qualifies as a pandemic, even if it is contributory to ~4% of the daily death toll.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:08 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:15 am Sounds like the small human. You get tired/sleepy with Rona, but it usually comes with an inability to do anything quickly or with force. Like if your body had a valet key.
So uh... wasn't the little human lol.

Everybody else has it now... minus the little human.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:18 am

We've gone from flu vaccines cause autism, to masking doesn't work, to masking protects me from you, to masking protects you from me, to vaccines protect you from me it's science, to vaccines protect me from you so you should be forced to get one, to the flu vaccines don't work so I'll just mask to protect myself in like... 3 years...

I honestly can't keep up with what the crowds believe anymore.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/04/fewer-a ... -2022.html

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:35 am

@mouse, I don’t find this surprising. I was thinking to myself the other day that the take rate on flu shots might be going down since people are over this nonsense and might prefer the mortal alternative anyhow at this point.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 am

mouse wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:18 am We've gone from flu vaccines cause autism, to masking doesn't work, to masking protects me from you, to masking protects you from me, to vaccines protect you from me it's science, to vaccines protect me from you so you should be forced to get one, to the flu vaccines don't work so I'll just mask to protect myself in like... 3 years...

I honestly can't keep up with what the crowds believe anymore.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/04/fewer-a ... -2022.html
lolz
Here are some of the top reasons adults gave for not getting vaccinated this season:

1- 41% think flu shots don’t work very well
2- 39% are concerned about the vaccine’s side effects
3- 28% say they never get the flu
4- 24% are concerned about getting the flu from the shot
5- 20% do not think influenza is a serious illness
Surprised at how high some of these percentages are.

======================

I forgot all about this up until now .... its october/autum.
I guess we all intently watch the various covid & flu charts/data to see what happens this winter.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:49 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 am
Here are some of the top reasons adults gave for not getting vaccinated this season:

1- 41% think flu shots don’t work very well
2- 39% are concerned about the vaccine’s side effects
3- 28% say they never get the flu
4- 24% are concerned about getting the flu from the shot
5- 20% do not think influenza is a serious illness
Surprised at how high some of these percentages are.
Note how "I will wear a mask to protect myself instead" is not listed there but it was put in the headline. The article also mentions that 58% said they will wear a mask at least sometimes during flu season which is higher than the 49% who said the will get the flu shot and why these idiots thought they were justified in making that headline. Most likely those 58% are mainly planning on wearing a mask to avoid Covid, not the flu and that 58% statistic has absolutely nothing to do with the statistic of 49% intending to get flu shots and nothing to do with their list of reasons for avoiding the flu shot. I think this article is just manufactured consent for the insane idea of continued masking to avoid the flu.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:10 am

(don't let my epic corona thread die !!!!)

There's some talk on how bad our flu season is going to be this year, since regular ol' Flu has taken the backseat to corona for the last couple of years.

It will be fun to see if/how this pans out?