Coronavirus

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

dw

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dw » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm

Do I have this all wrong or isn't COVID basically harmless to kids?

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm

dw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm Do I have this all wrong or isn't COVID basically harmless to kids?
Maybe.
Covid has killed an incredibly small number of children who dont have multiple other comorbidities.
OTOH, I haven't seen data on long covid in kids.
Early on there was a theory that since kids catch similar viruses often, by virtue of picking their noses and catching colds and going to daycare and being disgusting, that they already has a measure of protection against covid.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 am

hector wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm
dw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm Do I have this all wrong or isn't COVID basically harmless to kids?
Maybe.
Covid has killed an incredibly small number of children who dont have multiple other comorbidities.
Early on there was a theory that since kids catch similar viruses often, by virtue of picking their noses and catching colds and going to daycare and being disgusting, that they already has a measure of protection against covid.
The argument in favour of vaccinating children is not to protect against the direct harm it does to kids, but to reduce the frequency of lockdowns, which do harm them. It's a delicate balance -- I haven't see anyone in favour of childhood CV vaccines treat it as a no-brainer.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:15 am

convergentsum wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 am
Maybe.
The argument in favour of vaccinating children is not to protect against the direct harm it does to kids, but to reduce the frequency of lockdowns, which do harm them. It's a delicate balance -- I haven't see anyone in favour of childhood CV vaccines treat it as a no-brainer.

I don't object to this rationale I was just pointing out that the mother mouse was quoting seemed quite misguided about the vulnerability of her children.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:10 am

dw wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:15 am
convergentsum wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 am
Maybe.

I don't object to this rationale I was just pointing out that the mother mouse was quoting seemed quite misguided about the vulnerability of her children.
Obviously population statistics are just a starting point when discussing a possible individual response. The article quoted indicates the child has had some health problems that could represent increased risk or at least be a reason to increase caution.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:14 am

Finally went on a 'real' vacation....first biggie vacay since Corona started IIRC. Anyway, first time on a plane in several years. Mask thing still alive and well. Keep in mind, this was a totally optional (pleasure) thing going to Hawaii for 'these people'. Not business, not going to seeing dying Gran-Gram back in Georgia one last time, etc.

Either there is a large population out there that are super immune compromised (doubt it), OR super paranoid, AND/OR do not believe the vaccine is going to protect them.....OR, they think they are super spreaders themselves? (that would fall into no-faith-in-vaccine category).

Lots of young kids / toddlers with masks.
Lots of mask on mask off ..... by kids and adults alike.

Sounds like old man yells at cloud .... I know right?

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:26 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:14 am Finally went on a 'real' vacation....first biggie vacay since Corona started IIRC. Anyway, first time on a plane in several years. Mask thing still alive and well. Keep in mind, this was a totally optional (pleasure) thing going to Hawaii for 'these people'. Not business, not going to seeing dying Gran-Gram back in Georgia one last time, etc.

Either there is a large population out there that are super immune compromised (doubt it), OR super paranoid, AND/OR do not believe the vaccine is going to protect them.....OR, they think they are super spreaders themselves? (that would fall into no-faith-in-vaccine category).

Must be regional or a select population or something. I would estimate mask usage at Chicago (midway) and Tulsa airports this week under 5%. Maybe 5 masks on a southwest flight so 5/150 i think?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:04 am

PuddingFace wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:26 am
mbasic wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:14 am Finally went on a 'real' vacation....first biggie vacay since Corona started IIRC. Anyway, first time on a plane in several years. Mask thing still alive and well. Keep in mind, this was a totally optional (pleasure) thing going to Hawaii for 'these people'. Not business, not going to seeing dying Gran-Gram back in Georgia one last time, etc.

Must be regional or a select population or something. I would estimate mask usage at Chicago (midway) and Tulsa airports this week under 5%. Maybe 5 masks on a southwest flight so 5/150 i think?
TBH, it was far worse from California to Hawaii, then Cali to AZ.
So maybe higher Asian or "foreigner" component?
Or people worried about the increased exposure on the longer (5 hr) flight?

On the way out to HI, I would guess %15. Maybe 20%, but that seems crazy to think about....so I'm sure that's wrong.

Maybe possible because families traveling to a long vacay in HI; if that one person in a family is masking (most likely the mom), that whole family is masking....1 turns into 4 or 5..... times multiple families.

=================================

Not to turn the whole mask issue into a toxic masculinity thing, but lets do that for the sake of entertainment:
Just doing some brain storming and internal-role-playing-scenarios ..... I like to think about couples who disagree on the masking debate.
I'm going to stereotype men here as being arrogant; think that the know it all; and don't like being told what to do (by the gov't, or their spouses).
Women being more compliant, not wanting to make waves, and more empathic to others.
I wonder how that works for "those people". Married people don't always have the same views on a lot of topics (e.g. politics) ya know...?

(note: my wife and I have willfully complied with 99% of mask mandates as required by local laws/gov't, and mostly do so as not to "make a ruckus"....but we both think its mostly window-dressing-bullshit and largely ineffective)

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:48 am

@mbasic you're probably thinking too hard about this. People flying to AZ are either AZ residents going home, where you're free to be a sick as you want, or traveling for work, and anything that gets you out of work is fine by me. If it was a flight to HI though, then probably a lot of people are on their way to a vacation. COVID won't kill you in general and especially if you're vaccinated but it can still ruin your vacation so why chance it when a minor discomfort for a few hours will reduce your odds to basically 0%? You can call mask mandates ineffective but surgical masks themselves are effective at soaking up droplets that might contain the 'rona, thus freeing you up to wear that stupid Tommy Bahama floral shirt your wife made you buy and get hammered on the beach.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:04 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:48 am @mbasic you're probably thinking too hard about this. People flying to AZ are either AZ residents going home, where you're free to be a sick as you want, or traveling for work, and anything that gets you out of work is fine by me. If it was a flight to HI though, then probably a lot of people are on their way to a vacation. COVID won't kill you in general and especially if you're vaccinated but it can still ruin your vacation so why chance it when a minor discomfort for a few hours will reduce your odds to basically 0%? You can call mask mandates ineffective but surgical masks themselves are effective at soaking up droplets that might contain the 'rona, thus freeing you up to wear that stupid Tommy Bahama floral shirt your wife made you buy and get hammered on the beach.
Good points I suppose...

My wife had a different explanation, some of these people might still be subject to testing in their homelands, employers, etc. Sickness is one thing; getting fucked over on a test is another.

A lot of booglaoo shirts everywhere over there. Alt right has really has a stronghold from what I can tell.

quikky

Post by quikky » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:48 am ...will reduce your odds to basically 0%? You can call mask mandates ineffective but surgical masks themselves are effective at soaking up droplets that might contain the 'rona

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:55 pm

After almost 2.5 years of hiding from it, Covid finally found my family. Kids had fevers for a couple of days each, and my wife and I, each double boosted, had what amounted to a minor cold. The worst part is actually the quarantining - even though we're all healthy again, my wife and I, and our eldest daughter are still testing positive, so this coming week's camps and swim lessons are going to have to be rescheduled.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:17 am

I still feel like trash.
I can barely imagine how i was able to deadlift yesterday.
Some window between different kinds of feeling shitty i suppose.
Light bench later today feels daunting from here.

This is for sure the second, and possibly the third time wife and have had it.
Tests yesterday were negative at first, but we were both too dry in the nose to get a good sample.
Tested wife again later and confirmed what we already knew.

Until this time, it has been inconsequential for me.
Vaxxed and double boosted.

Blaming wife's best friend who came to visit last week.
She travels all over for her work, but if it was her, she's just an asymptomatic biohazzard.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am

I believe have recently had a minor c19 re-infection.

Had some nasal congestion, some minor body aches, and ...the telling part: terrible fatigue (in the gym).

That was exactly like the first time (I allegedly had it)

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am I believe have recently had a minor c19 re-infection.

Had some nasal congestion, some minor body aches, and ...the telling part: terrible fatigue (in the gym).

The gym fatigue part is interesting. I wonder if it's some kind of neurological effect rather than an actual reduction in your ability to recover.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:49 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm
mbasic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am I believe have recently had a minor c19 re-infection.

The gym fatigue part is interesting. I wonder if it's some kind of neurological effect rather than an actual reduction in your ability to recover.
Given all of the reported clotting issues some people have, I wonder how much of it is some kind of jacking with red blood cells and ATP, like you are overtrained or something?

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:16 pm

When I had it, I was sure it was just a common cold. Decided to get tested just in case and... Positive. Tested as second time, and... Positive.

Runny nose and a bit of a cough. No systemic effects such as fever, body aches, etc.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:25 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm

Its like it ("the gym") requires requires more breathing, heart racing, sweating, etc. everything feelz heavier and slow.

Profuse sweating .... have to lean on shit (like rip) after the set.

I thought nothing of it while it was happening (@gym), I had some minor pain in my high ankle on one side.

Next day, was that achy shit in your bones (both legs now, femurs, etc) started, and then the head congesting hit ..... then I realized I just wasn't having a shitty day the day prior ....chaulking it up to humidity or a bad day at work. I was sick.

Next day I was fine.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Little covid bonus.
TDEE up
Been eating my normal calories, but i'm a pound and a half lighter than normal after all eating at the end of the day., and i've been drinking hella water, and drank another full glass before i thought of weighing myself.
Cool little mini cut lol.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:45 pm

One weird trick that public health officials hate.