Coronavirus

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Brackish

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Brackish » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:03 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm
mbasic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am I believe have recently had a minor c19 re-infection.

Had some nasal congestion, some minor body aches, and ...the telling part: terrible fatigue (in the gym).

That was exactly like the first time (I allegedly had it)

The gym fatigue part is interesting. I wonder if it's some kind of neurological effect rather than an actual reduction in your ability to recover.
When I had it, I had all fatigue. Walking up the stairs was a legit struggle for me at the peak. It sucked.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:38 pm

According to some Google News item I just read LA County is on the verge of mandating masks again.

Seems like a terrible idea at this point. Assuming they're even talking about N95s the protection seems minimal (correct me if I'm wrong) and the latest variants just aren't that bad.

Just let it go..

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 am

I am on day 4 of symptoms. Influenza is usually worse than this, but this is worse than a cold.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:40 pm

Wife has it for the first time confirmed...

She's pretty wiped out fatigue wise but otherwise OK.

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:38 pm According to some Google News item I just read LA County is on the verge of mandating masks again.

Seems like a terrible idea at this point. Assuming they're even talking about N95s the protection seems minimal (correct me if I'm wrong) and the latest variants just aren't that bad.

Just let it go..
It's being talked about here too, The gov are resistant. My work, however, has mandated them for our department due to the number of staff catching it. I'm trying to WFH as much as possible so I don't have to wear one. I'm not and never have been anti mask, but at this point I really feel it should be a personal choice in most settings.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:15 am

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:45 pm One weird trick that public health officials hate.
Legit lol. So good.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:07 am

mouse wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:40 pm Wife has it for the first time confirmed...

She's pretty wiped out fatigue wise but otherwise OK.
Basically over it.

Probably would have been less intense had we not been dealing with the compounding effects of a little boy who has decided sleeping is no longer going to be his thing.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 am

My daughter is down at the hospital to have her appendix removed....like a quasi-emergency-thing. Wife and I rotating turns....

Apparently, there are quite a few (read: way too fucking many) people down there clogging up the system with alleged covid cases or something.

99% of them Not one of them seem visibly ill: coughing, weezing, sweating, "dying", etc. ....they're walking around ok and seem just fine, etc.

Is there some benefit to going to the hospital with a mild case of the BA1.37? ... something that I am unaware of ?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 amIs there some benefit to going to the hospital with a mild case of the BA1.37? ... something that I am unaware of ?
Paid sick leave, provided you return with a doctor's note.

It's like a mini vacation, if you're feeling particularly lonely or uncared for.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 amIs there some benefit to going to the hospital with a mild case of the BA1.37? ... something that I am unaware of ?
I would think a mere positive covid test from the local comm college parking lot (or Ugent care) would do for that?

It's like a mini vacation, if you're feeling particularly lonely or uncared for.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 am
I would think a mere positive covid test from the local comm college parking lot (or Ugent care) would do for that?
My understanding is that my employer doesn't even ask for that now unless you're out long enough to trigger short-term disability.

Basically you call in, tell them you have c'ronapox... and then you take 5 days off... paid (although that's the topic of some controversy, some were getting paid and some weren't, these days I think everyone gets it).

But yeah, it's basically a one time use get out jail free card.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:14 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 am
I would hope, but it might depend on the employer.

Occupying one of the lower eschelons of management in my department allows me to be privy to how some of our policies work (and don't work). Pageantry is cool, unless everyone involved in the show of rules and regulations is ugly (on the inside, of course).

So, when I didn't feel right one morning in November of 2019, without the foresight to know that I'd subsequently miss a week of gym time from being in bed for seven days, I put on my Sunday's best and took my slovenly ass to work. Not to actually work, mind you, but to make a point.

You see, bossman goes on and on about being considerate and staying home when you're sick. Something about being considerate of the rest of the profit margins workforce. But you get penalized for staying home if you're sick, because social climbers and admirers of Protestant striver ethics don't miss work; they use bootstraps (and do their fahves) to ward off poverty and erectile dysfunction. 'Cause sickness is for sick people, or some shit.

Anyway... I had to go through the trouble of starching up my pants and wasting cologne just to show up looking like melted ass (not the good kind), for fear of not being believed.

I was sent home within two hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were going the extra mile to not be forced to work through illness. Something new's in the water these days, and I dunno if it'll stay, but I like the way it smells.

It almost smells like dignity.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:14 am It almost smells like dignity.
Dignity, and "fuck that guy making 200x more than me, I'm done killing myself to get him his third Bentley."

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:40 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 am My daughter is down at the hospital to have her appendix removed....like a quasi-emergency-thing. Wife and I rotating turns....

Apparently, there are quite a few (read: way too fucking many) people down there clogging up the system with alleged covid cases or something.

99% of them Not one of them seem visibly ill: coughing, weezing, sweating, "dying", etc. ....they're walking around ok and seem just fine, etc.

Is there some benefit to going to the hospital with a mild case of the BA1.37? ... something that I am unaware of ?
If one is not competent in managing their healthcare going to the ER is the low thought investment way to get anything medical. Everyone knows where it is, the hours are 24*365, and you can get a ride there without bothering any of your friends. When I was an ambulance driver I took a guy to the ER, at 2AM on a Sunday, for a gout flare in his big toe. It had been hurting for a few days.

The other possibility is they are there for monoclonal antibodies, which in some communities were allocated and administered through ERs I think that has mostly gone away now with the oral antivirals though.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:38 am

Out of everything the last few years has given us... this headline and article might be the best...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... keypox-who
“This is an outbreak that can be stopped if countries, communities, and individuals inform themselves, take the risks seriously, and take the steps needed to stop transmission and protect vulnerable groups,” Tedros said.
This sounds familiar... what do you recommend?
“For men who have sex with men, this includes, for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners, reconsidering sex with new partners, and exchanging contact details with any new partners to enable follow-up if needed,” he advised.
Oh ok... so I guess if you're a gay dude sounds like WHO seems to assume you're a whore so maybe knock that off... for a bit.

But wait, my absolute favorite part...
These men might also consider avoiding big circuit parties or shirtless raves for the time being;
Such a buzzkill

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Dad Group:
Wife has Covid, she's quarantining upstairs while my daughter and I are downstairs (both of us are negative).

Daughter makes my wife a picture and wants to go deliver it upstairs and put it in front of the door. I am dubious. I don't want her to touch the door or the door handle since my wife has been touching those things the last few days.

"Alright. You can put the picture in front of the door. Do NOT knock on the door and do NOT touch the door handle. Got it?"
Still with the "Covid from touching things" in 2022. JFC. Will update if people chime in with more dumb things.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:02 pm

I could smell onions cooking today.
All the way from the other end of the house.
Progress.
Smell and taste still not fully returned though.

When (and hopefully if) i'm back to normal, i'm getting stuff to make cheeseburgers.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:24 am

5hout wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:56 pm Dad Group:
Wife has Covid, she's quarantining upstairs while my daughter and I are downstairs (both of us are negative).

Daughter makes my wife a picture and wants to go deliver it upstairs and put it in front of the door. I am dubious. I don't want her to touch the door or the door handle since my wife has been touching those things the last few days.

"Alright. You can put the picture in front of the door. Do NOT knock on the door and do NOT touch the door handle. Got it?"
Still with the "Covid from touching things" in 2022. JFC. Will update if people chime in with more dumb things.
My kids were drinking bottles of water/gatorade my wife would start and not finish...

Fine.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:22 am

mouse wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:38 am Out of everything the last few years has given us... this headline and article might be the best...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... keypox-who
“This is an outbreak that can be stopped if countries, communities, and individuals inform themselves, take the risks seriously, and take the steps needed to stop transmission and protect vulnerable groups,” Tedros said.
This sounds familiar... what do you recommend?
“For men who have sex with men, this includes, for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners, reconsidering sex with new partners, and exchanging contact details with any new partners to enable follow-up if needed,” he advised.
Oh ok... so I guess if you're a gay dude sounds like WHO seems to assume you're a whore so maybe knock that off... for a bit.

But wait, my absolute favorite part...
These men might also consider avoiding big circuit parties or shirtless raves for the time being;
Such a buzzkill
On that last part, I guess they traced down some of the 'Patient Zero(s)' to a ...... bath house, orgy thingy ....

Also, I guess they ("The Science") are doubling down on the whole white-gay-men-monkeypox-spreader narrative
(several weeks into this now like at the beginning).

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event= ... fZJX9l7aVQ
METHODS
Formed an international collaborative group,
international case series, presentation, clinical course, outcomes of PCR confirmed infections

RESULTS
We report 528 infections diagnosed between

April 27 to June 24, 2022

Cases, 528, at 43 sites in 16 countries
98% in gay or bisexual men,
75% were White,
41% had HIV
median age 38

Transmission suspected to have occurred through sexual activity
95% of cases
Presentation in this series
95% rash
(with 64% having less than 10 lesions)
73% anogenital lesions
41% had mucosal lesions
(with 54 having a single genital lesion)

Common systemic features preceding the rash
fever (62%)
lethargy (41%)
myalgia (31%)
headache (27%)
lymphadenopathy (56%)
Concomitant sexually transmitted infections
109 of 377 (29%)
Among the 23 people with a clear exposure history
median incubation period, 7 days (range, 3 to 20)
Monkeypox virus DNA
Detected in 29 of the 32 (in whom seminal fluid was analyzed)

Management
Antiviral treatment given to 5% of cases
70 (13%) were hospitalized
Mostly for pain management

severe anorectal pain (21)
soft-tissue superinfection (18)
pharyngitis limiting oral intake (5)
eye lesions (2)
acute kidney injury (2)
myocarditis (2)
infection-control purposes (13)
No deaths were reported

CONCLUSIONS
Monkeypox manifested with a variety of dermatologic and systemic clinical findings.
Need for rapid identification and diagnosis of cases to contain further community spread.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:13 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm
mbasic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am I believe have recently had a minor c19 re-infection.

Had some nasal congestion, some minor body aches, and ...the telling part: terrible fatigue (in the gym).

That was exactly like the first time (I allegedly had it)

The gym fatigue part is interesting. I wonder if it's some kind of neurological effect rather than an actual reduction in your ability to recover.
I think it was in an episode of stronger by science, can't remember, but basically they were talking about overtraining and said that it's caused by the same thing that gives you fatigue during a cold, etc. It's a specific bodily process intended to get you to calm down and not expand energy on anything other than recovery- so less the direct result of the disease, and more a result of your body's defenses.