Deadlift Problems

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Deadlift Problems

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Sumo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm
Regarding hook grip, and maybe this is a personal thing, unless you're into needless pain sets of triples is about as much punishment as one should take for hook, and I'm being generous. Ideally singles and doubles hook, and strap up for anything more than that. If you want to make sure grip doesn't become an issue use straps or mixed, if you're OK with it, for the majority of your sets and just pull hook for the last couple of your top sets. My take on this particular issue, and some may disagree, we put our bodies through enough pain and punishment why go out of our way for it though.
I'm on the verge of lifting again, and am squatting the bar, doing BW dips, and just spending time thru the day atg bw squatting to get rid of some of the tightness and (unexpected) pain i felt when i started squatting yesterday, after nearly three months off.

Long short, it popped into my head just how reasonable this position is for pulling, and i plan on using my straps for my worksets when i start pulling again.
I'll hook the warmup singles, and the top rep.
I've had plenty of practice with the grip, and i can always do more close to a meet if i feel the need.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm

@Wilhelm pro-tip if you're going to use straps more often.

Make sure you get tighten the straps to be as close to your hook grip as possible. I fingertip hook grip, so when I tighten the straps I only tighten as much as I need to ensure a similar position and amount of space between my hand and the bar. There are times when I'm purposely trying to increase the ROM for the pull, so I tighten the straps down until there's no daylight between my hand and the bar.

Basically you can simulate a small deficit pull using straps without using blocks, which is neat, something to be aware if you use straps often. Most people assume that straps will allow you a higher starting position because you can have the bar down at your fingertips...but that all depends on how you use them.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Sumo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm @Wilhelm pro-tip if you're going to use straps more often.

Make sure you get tighten the straps to be as close to your hook grip as possible. I fingertip hook grip, so when I tighten the straps I only tighten as much as I need to ensure a similar position and amount of space between my hand and the bar. There are times when I'm purposely trying to increase the ROM for the pull, so I tighten the straps down until there's no daylight between my hand and the bar.

Basically you can simulate a small deficit pull using straps without using blocks, which is neat, something to be aware if you use straps often. Most people assume that straps will allow you a higher starting position because you can have the bar down at your fingertips...but that all depends on how you use them.
Interesting, and thank you.

I'm trying to imagine it.
So basically a thumbs width loose?
I wrap my fingers around as much as i can for hook.

I will have to explore that aspect when i start pulling again.
Just started my post surgery LP, and i'm starting with bar only squats, just to be uber cautious, as i'm a week ahead of my doctor's advice for my no restrictions date.
I'll start pulling after i'm squatting 135 5X5

DL day was always a big deal, because on MM i had power day squat, bench, CGBP, and i would wait till afternoon to DL.

I'm hoping it feels more doable sooner with the worksets strapped.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Lat tightness helped a lot, 315 moved fast. Strapped and pulled an easy single at 335 and a grindy-but-not-tooo-grindy at 355. Also just sucked it up and did 335/355 in socks. Toes got cold, but wasn't too bad.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:20 am

5hout wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm Lat tightness helped a lot, 315 moved fast. Strapped and pulled an easy single at 335 and a grindy-but-not-tooo-grindy at 355. Also just sucked it up and did 335/355 in socks. Toes got cold, but wasn't too bad.
That's great to hear! :)

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:38 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm ...
I'm trying to imagine it.
So basically a thumbs width loose?
I wrap my fingers around as much as i can for hook.
You want the bar to sit in the same position in your hand with straps as it does when you hook. If the bar is really far up in your hand with hook then you'll want a tight grip with the straps. You'll likely notice a difference when you use straps, something will feel a little different about the pull if the bar placement in your hand was not as it usually is.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 am

Sumo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm I fingertip hook grip...
This confused me at first.
I was trying to imagine you wrapping over your thumbs with only your fingertips.

Makes more sense once i realised which grip you were referring to. 8-)

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 am
Sumo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm I fingertip hook grip...
This confused me at first.
I was trying to imagine you wrapping over your thumbs with only your fingertips.

Makes more sense once i realised which grip you were referring to. 8-)
I do, but I only mentioned to illustrate that I have the bar sitting lower down in my hand as a result of this so when I use straps I make sure they are loose enough for the bar to sit in the same place. If you have ever seen someone pull with straps and it looks like they have the bar sitting right at the bottom of their fingertips, that's a bit like what I can do with finger-tip hook grip. There's a bit of risk involved because is considerably less secure than a full hook grip, but 50% of the time it works every time. ;)

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Ah, i thought (secondly) that you meant where the bar just hangs complelely in the tips of the fingers, and the thumb is not involved.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm

@Wilhelm that'd be a neat trick, imagine being able to do that...people would lose their minds over it even more than bench arching !

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

I was stunned the first time i saw it while watching an IPF meet cast.

Significant ROM reduction.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm I was stunned the first time i saw it while watching an IPF meet cast.

Significant ROM reduction.
I was too initially, and then I went looking at some of the lifters and realised they strong af with or without the arch. Eddie Berglund 66kg bw, still a junior, cops an insane amount of flak but the kid is insanely strong... here he is doing Larssen Presses with 147.5kg, 10 fucking reps :o and a significantly smaller arch:

kelly9

Post by kelly9 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm

"I was too initially, and then I went looking at some of the lifters and realised they strong af with or without the arch. Eddie Berglund 66kg bw, still a junior, cops an insane amount of flak but the kid is insanely strong... here he is doing Larssen Presses with 147.5kg, 10 fucking reps :o and a significantly smaller arch"

That is absolutely cooked :shock: