The is no dieting. Only nutrition. or This is why you are a Manatee

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

broseph
High Fiber

Re: The is no dieting. Only nutrition. or This is why you are a Manatee

Post by broseph » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:08 pm

I think it’s a lofty but attainable goal. I’m 5’11” and this summer I cut down as low as 211 lbs with juuuuust visible at the right angle in the right light abs.

Like @TimK said, I don’t mean crazy bodybuilder totally shredded. But definitely leaner than I was @211.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Hm. Found this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4511447/.

They DEXA scanned a bunch of white Australians to see what bodyfat percentages corresponded to the BMI numbers.

For a 50-year-old man, the 25 BMI cutoff for overweight corresponds to 22% bodyfat. So I'm just barely over the line by that standard.

Apparently DEXA shows that BMI mis-categorizes people (under/normal/over/obese) fairly often, but usually by under-estimating. I.e. there are a bunch of skinny-fat "normal" people out there for each "overweight/obese" lifter.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 pm

cwd wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am +1 for "Pounds of Fatness", that's cool.

Saw refutation today, of the claim that "overweight" BMI correlates with higher lifespan than "normal" BMI.

The problem is that many fatal illnesses can make you lose weight (i.e. cancer, meth addiction), but few cause you to gain weight. So the lower BMI groups include a mix of healthy people and people who are circling the drain. If you correct for that in various ways, you get the expected result -- "normal" BMI people live longer than "overweight".
They also never, and I mean never, compensate for "overweight" people who are just remotely muscular or athletic. BMI is a completely shit metric with absolutely no redemption possible. Stop discussing it, and stop trying to make it work.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm

BMI is accurate or too kind for 99% of the population. The 1% that get rated over-fat can be easily filtered by the "do you even lift" eyeball metric.

It's not as if every family-practice doctor in the world has a DEXA pod in their office.

GainsdalfTheWhey

Post by GainsdalfTheWhey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am

cwd wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm BMI is accurate or too kind for 99% of the population. The 1% that get rated over-fat can be easily filtered by the "do you even lift" eyeball metric.

It's not as if every family-practice doctor in the world has a DEXA pod in their office.
BMI, being weight/height^2, COMPLETELY disregards level of fitness, or variability in body types. It's good for studying general populations against one another where level of fitness averages out, but outside of that it's really poor.

What they should be using is something like the Navy Equation to be able to get bodyfat within 4-5% based on measurements of different parts of the body. It's something every doctor could do. Formula is in herehttp://bmi-calories.com/body-fat-percen ... lator.html

There are a few formulas out there based on measurements that everyone has access to on the cheap that are all miles better than BMI.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 am

GainsdalfTheWhey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am What they should be using is something like the Navy Equation to be able to get bodyfat within 4-5% based on measurements of different parts of the body. It's something every doctor could do. Formula is in herehttp://bmi-calories.com/body-fat-percen ... lator.html
That's what I use -- it's close enough for my purposes.

I wonder why docs don't measure at least waistlines? Just waist vs. height would be a better measure of over-fatness than BMI. Maybe they are trying to avoid pissing off customers. I know my wife might be offended at a waistline measurement. Probably a lot of people would be.

GainsdalfTheWhey

Post by GainsdalfTheWhey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

cwd wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 am
GainsdalfTheWhey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am What they should be using is something like the Navy Equation to be able to get bodyfat within 4-5% based on measurements of different parts of the body. It's something every doctor could do. Formula is in herehttp://bmi-calories.com/body-fat-percen ... lator.html

I wonder why docs don't measure at least waistlines? Just waist vs. height would be a better measure of over-fatness than BMI. Maybe they are trying to avoid pissing off customers. I know my wife might be offended at a waistline measurement. Probably a lot of people would be.
Completely agree, they should do that at least that. Last time I was at a doctor he was pretty good. With a BMI over 30, he said "While this saying you need to lose 60 lb is bull, you could definitely afford at least 20." WHY? Because he looked at my waistline. The eyeball test is not that hard, but if a metric is needed to justify telling someone they're fat and you don't want to go full Navy measurements, a waistline measurement compared to height is a better way to go than BMI.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 pm

I understand there is a movement about to change the "overweight" marker away from BMI and towards waist <= 1/2 height. No more Power Bellies for us lifters! Deals with the "skinnyfat" issue somewhat, too.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm

It seems like a priori we can tell that BMI is a bad metric, since it's not invariant under scaling the person. It has units kg/m^2 instead of the normal kg/m^3.

Maybe @Savs can help me flesh this out. I don't really do "units" these days.

(Some googling turns up empirical evidence in favor of my suggested measurement: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28505241.)

edit: ah, I'm empirically wrong, the scaling really is quadratic, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232013/

@Savs please explain this weirdness using only first principles.

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 am

PatrickDB wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm I don't really do "units" these days.
I laughed then I sighed.
@Savs please explain this weirdness using only first principles.
I don't know. I clicked on your last link and saw the claim that BMI goes like height squared. I have to think about that one. I don't really do "humans" these days.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 am

If taller humans were exactly as slender as shorter humans, I'd expect weight to scale with height ** 3.

In practice, taller people are more slender on average. Apparently the actual scaling is closer to height ** 2 according to the study you linked, @PatrickDB, at least for white people. Black men for some reason scaled with height ** 2.4. Maybe the tall Black guys lift.

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am

cwd wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 am If taller humans were exactly as slender as shorter humans, I'd expect weight to scale with height ** 3.

In practice, taller people are more slender on average. Apparently the actual scaling is closer to height ** 2 according to the study you linked, @PatrickDB, at least for white people. Black men for some reason scaled with height ** 2.4. Maybe the tall Black guys lift.
Maybe. I don't even know what BMI is*, and today is a day full of chores so I don't even know when I'll get a chance to look up BMI on wikipedia, or something like that. Fucking chores. I just want to sit and think.
*Edit: and don't really care enough to learn.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 pm I understand there is a movement about to change the "overweight" marker away from BMI and towards waist <= 1/2 height. No more Power Bellies for us lifters! Deals with the "skinnyfat" issue somewhat, too.
Hope that's a gut sucked in measurement...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 pm

IDGAF as long as i stay under 205 till after the meet.
Pretty much holding steady after dropping a couple pounds going from 3,500 to 3,000 / 3,200 a day recently
200 is top PM weight.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Waist to hip ratio is an accepted measure. 1:1 is okay for men, slightly less for women. Waist to height would seem to be an odd choice. shorter people aren't just scale models of taller people, surely.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Gonna break training tonight.
Wife made keto freindly pumpkin pie and whipped heavy cream.
Was gonna have it in tomorrow's numbers, but screw that noise.
Nommage

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:16 am

chrisd wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Waist to hip ratio is an accepted measure. 1:1 is okay for men, slightly less for women. Waist to height would seem to be an odd choice. shorter people aren't just scale models of taller people, surely.
According to the studies I skimmed, waist to height was a better predictor of obesity than waist to hips or BMI. I agree that seems counterintuitive.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 am

chrisd wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Waist to hip ratio works out in my favor, unlike 1/2 of height. Squats and increasing my bodyweight by 50% put 10" on my hip measurement :lol:

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am

Eh. We can argue about these standards, but I can just look in the mirror and see that my waistline is not ideal. There's flab there.

It doesn't hang over my belt, but I'd look better and be healthier with less fat. Lots of room between where I am and being too lean for ideal health.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 am

cwd wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 am If taller humans were exactly as slender as shorter humans, I'd expect weight to scale with height ** 3.

This strikes me because I always think the strongest tall people look more like giant short people. I've never said that out loud because it sounds ridiculous, but it makes sense considering your analysis.